Invisiblemoose

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
wolfchik wrote:i love the write-up. would have loved the design -if- it had only been the one penguin, the others are unnecessary and just kill it for me.
the penguin in the middle?... i can relate, 'cause i OWN the mohawk and the big headphones. what better way to get people to leave me alone ;)

You're right, having just that mohawked penguin centered and larger would be pretty sweet...

lifevirusx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifevirusx

>herp derp not original
What is these days
This is one of the few shirts that come through here I would actually buy just for those pimp headphones he's wearing

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm
leftielespaul wrote:My, you guys ARE a bunch of haters aren't you. Let me be a rare voice here and say CONGRATULATIONS, ramyb.

I absolutely agree. My girlfriend loves his shirts and his art and as long as he keeps winning, we'll keep buying.

I took one look at this shirt when I got up (at 3:30am, mind you) and it made me smile first thing in the morning. That alone is worth $10 to me.

dribbles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dribbles
MBrulla wrote:Take that ramy haters!

This writeup redeems ramy's artistic integrity and flys his flag high above those so-called "good" designs.

...Right?

flannelman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flannelman

I knew this forum would be dripping with hate but I have to admit I bought two because it fits my friend who moved to the other side of the country to a t. He loves penguins and metal and funny enough his nickname is Rami. Congrats for getting $20 bucks out of me for sentimental reasons.

Edit: Also moar black shirts pleze! I own 2-3 of every other color shirt but never feel bad about buying another black shirt.

mybell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybell
Assassin15 wrote:Wow, I never ever would have thought of that one as being similar at all. You haters go a bit too far sometimes.

Seems to me that someone who calls themself Assassin should not be calling others haters.

Oh wait assassin's don't hate, they just kill for money. Sorry my bad.

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE

Love it! Not the shirt mind you but the fact it won causing all the high brows to completely lose their flip their berets. Well I guess I know what JadenKale, adder and jmmbell will be doing today.

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

Have you ever read a novel in which the author describes a series of emotions passing across a character's face? And have you ever wondered whether it would really be possible to identify said emotions outside print, if the human face is really so mobile that one could "read" each distinct emotion or thought on the face of, say, a highly skilled actor?

Well, if I could have videoed my face, you would clearly have read:

Expression 1: Immediate recognition from the thumbnail
Expression 2: Shock (aka "Are you kidding me?")
Expression 3: Frustration
Expression 4: Bitter disappointment
Expression 5: Resignation

It was kind of like Kubler-Ross's stages of grief. I could probably even shoehorn some bargaining in there somewhere....

DoublEE

quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
JadenKale wrote:No need for beating about the body if you understand my positioning. It's not a hatred based on someone printing well, repeatedly. Hell, if that were the case, I'd hate TGentry and I don't by any stretch of the imagination (be it pre- or post- woot staff ) or any of the vast majority of whom I talk to outside of woot's forums as well. This is so obviously 'Imposter' with a touch of 'Music is Life' that they look like one-trick ponies.

It really is a wonder, if they are as great as everyone brags when they print or put something up in the derbies (open to interpretation or not) that they aren't printing all over the place. Hmmm, funny about that. I don't see them elsewhere other than woot. And while you can defend that with, "well, so-and-so also hasn't printed elsewhere..." you really do have to wonder why they won't get printed by places that hand out bigger payouts.

You really come across as bitter and jealous. Within a half an hour you already had four posts bemoaning this shirt. Who cares if he had been printing elsewhere. Let's keep it in perspective here. It's a shirt...it's a democratic process...he wins a few derbies a year which ends up being a very small percentage. Deep breaths....serenity now. This too shall pass.

fuzznarf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzznarf

new derby rules
No zombies, star wars, turtles, penguins, cats, kittens, bunnies, pandas, or koalas (because koalas are bound to be the next one exploited for funny/cuteness)

and gratz Ramyb

run4fun33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages run4fun33

I LOVE PENGUINS!

that is all...you may now return to your regularly scheduled comment reading

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin

Of course I ordered a penguin shirt. Thank you shirt.woot!

More penguin shirts in the future, please.

My woot shirts:
A Peculiar Discovery, Imposter, A Cold Sneeze, Random, Cooler Than You

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

See what you get for complaining about Imposter? Now there are two of them. And that means they can multiply! None of us are safe.

::runs screaming in the streets::

NLP49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NLP49

I find it oddly ironic.

Hipster penguin designed by "sell-out" artist.

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Greatest collab yet!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Don’t wear this shirt: While blaming us for the failures of the democratic process.

Well then can we blame you for the democratic process itself?

today is another great reason to allow for votes + editorial input in deciding what get's printed.

just sayin'

Weezknight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Weezknight

Well we can talk all day about the so-called "Democratic" process, but it doesn't take away the fact that anyone could be voting. Who is to say that there aren't multiple sock puppets doing the voting?

I know, I know, then let the other artists register their own army of sock puppets to do their bidding, but is that what we really want Woot! to become?

Anyone who follows the reckoning week-in, week out, knows within the final hour, certain shirts will become the benefactors of a large number of oddly named Wooters. Coincidence?

I still don't see the democratic process in place here, more than I see someone (or a group of people) who know how to game the system.

Just my 2 cents, though.

wtfuchs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wtfuchs

Don't they sell this shirt at Hot Topic?

kittysoup

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kittysoup

Well...unfortunately, I really like penguins...like a lot. And I have always hated Impostor with a growing passion as I watched it always cling to the Reckoning finest. But only because it was a dumb shirt, not for anything it represented.

So now...I am in for one, because a lined up group of chibi penguins on a shirt is something I've never had the beauty to own before. No bunnies or turtles...just penguins.

So...yeah. I guess woot? Either make a new rule the repeat winners can't enter or get rid of penguins next time, but give us back kitties. They don't seem to win as much as the other ones you banned. Because I am always into this site for both cute (and Jatravartid) AND beautiful (and awesome) with the occasionally sneaky pop culture reference...

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ

I will not beat a dead horse...
what did I say?

basharoftheages

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basharoftheages

Someone needs to make a penguin-themed "haters gonna hate" macro for these threads. stat!

lochnessa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lochnessa

As a former "not understanding the hate" person I implore those stuck in that state to do a little research. Look at the full discussion on Imposter, check out some reckoning discussions. It may all be circumstantial mumbo jumbo and conspiracy theories but this is not a court of law, it's shirt.woot!

My *facepalm* this morning had absolutely nothing to do with the derivative nature of this shirt.

czar21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages czar21

Did someone really argue that this is derivative of Music is Life because it kinda-sorta uses the same, generic, overused, overworn-by-hipsters headphones?

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan

So you do a google search for "punk penguin" (the two prevailing elements in this design), and look what happens to come up:

This is also for sale, as a shirt, from this site. Aside from the whole Imposter angle, duzzat qualify as "similar shirts exist"?

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
derkis wrote:He can keep doing what he's doing, but ramyb is to shirt.woot what Thomas Kinkade is to fine art.

Oh! Also, Thomas Kinkade likes to get drunk, loudly and obnoxiously ogle private parts, and pee on stuff! (I think everyone needs to know this when buying a Kinkade.)

Adorialea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Adorialea

My 5 year old nephew over the past few months has become addicted to penguins. I don't know where it came from, I don't know how it happened. He's got a million penguin pillow pets, and for his birthday I got him a 2 foot tall stuffed penguin.

My brother will love me.

Even though the kid mainly wears Sabres, Mets, Mario, and Transformers clothes (literally, one of those four things is on every article of clothing he owns) I will purchase this for him for his birthday. Then I'll explain what a walkman is. Then I'll feel really old.

Doobie1357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doobie1357

You people really whine alot...

Obviously people voted for this shirt. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It really is amazingly simple.

wolfgaidin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin

Woot.com's blatant disregard for their own rule for disqualification, ie Similar Shirt Exists, is also what angers me. I have nothing against Ramyb, but this shirt design is not unique.

People keep repeating that it's the democratic process that has allowed this shirt to win, while, in reality, it should never have been allowed to remain in the contest in the first place and THAT is the ONLY issue that truly has significant merit at all.

genericsmith

quality posts: 15 Private Messages genericsmith

Man, I'm SO glad this printed! I think it's one of the most visually appealing shirts I've seen here in a long time. The colors, the movement, the creativity... Awesome.

Plus it's nice to see him win a derby for a change... It seems like most of the time he has some really cool designs that sadly just get overlooked.

Wait... Two Turntables and a Gramophone DIDN'T print? No OdysseyRoc love?

OH... it's just another ramyb penguin shirt?

Nevermind then.

Munchy Attack If you can find the name of this artist & real song title I'll buy you a daily woot shirt (your choice what day)

Dystopia Dark Lager, Where the Wild Parties at?, B.A. Bearacus, and many more wanted in XXL(PLEASE!!!)
Edgar Allen Poe shall remained headlock'd until Nevermore is reckoned.

quantamm

getshighoncocacola wrote:After all the people who were seriously frustrated with the repitition and no doubt the countless tattles on it? After even the woot write-up guy flat out says it's 'eeriely similar'?

Yes, because real artists never re-do the same thing over and over.

DJ9975

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJ9975
amh wrote:This is what happens when you forget to ban Penguins!

Next derby please just ban animals all-together to get a really challenging and fun derby.

The result will just be a person in a cute bunny/turtle/penguin/etc costume.

quantamm

wolfgaidin wrote:Woot.com's blatant disregard for their own rule for disqualification, ie Similar Shirt Exists, is also what angers me. I have nothing against Ramyb, but this shirt design is not unique.

By your logic, Ramyb should get a lifetime ban from drawing cartoon penguins.

wolfgaidin

quantamm wrote:Yes, because real artists never re-do the same thing over and over.

Van Gogh was not submitting multiple self-portriats to contests on a website where the website's own rules should reject all but the first self-portrait.

DJ9975

wolfgaidin wrote:Van Gogh was not submitting multiple self-portriats to contests on a website where the website's own rules should reject all but the first self-portrait.

^FTW

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27
bluejester wrote:True, especially since they've done it before.

What drives me insane is that this shirt is 10 times more similar to Imposter than that one was to the other carnivorous rabbit shirt, but that was rejected and this wasn't.

I'm sad that I haven't been able to follow the derbies lately... I miss things like this and end up being totally shocked on a Friday morning.

wolfgaidin

quantamm wrote:By your logic, Ramyb should get a lifetime ban from drawing cartoon penguins.

No, Ramyb can draw whatever he likes and submit it. Woot should reject any designs that similarly exist, as per their own rules, for him and any other artist.

Again, to make my point completely clear, Woot is blatently ignoring their own rules for qualifying submissions.

I actually have nothing against Ramyb and, in fact, own two of his shirt designs. The fact that it is his design that has exposed Woot's disregard for their own policies is quite incendental.

mcowles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcowles

If I could draw decent looking pumpkins that everyone loved for derbies and I was winning them and making money, I would be drawing pumpkins every week.

The designs are decently done, they obviously show that Ramy has talent, and people love them. Imposter is STILL in the top 20 after many weeks, so people ARE buying them.

Congrats Ramy. Ignore the people that think they're too good for a shirt, just because it's not some abstract artistic expression of the most original idea in the world (which all the other prints obviously are).

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

Wow... shocking that this won... just shocking

*Yawn*

KIDA26

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26

Also, that writeup is effin hilarious. Well done there Woot, funny stuff.

DJ9975

Doobie1357 wrote:You people really whine alot...

Obviously people voted for this shirt. If you don't want it, don't buy it. It really is amazingly simple.

Except we would like the opportunity to congratulate and buy a shirt from a deserving artist who actually put some thought and creativity into their design, and who would have been in third place had this shirt been rejected.