WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Time again for another march toward t-shirt doom! Discuss this week's life-or-death struggle for sales supremacy as chronicled on the Reckoning page all week long.

Here's how the Reckoning week runs now: every Tuesday at midnight, we retire the previous week's lowest-selling shirts and launch this here discussion thread. Tuesday around noon we'll post the all-new, all-early Reckoning Recon. On Friday, we'll juice demand and prime the pump with a little weekend reminder post. Finally, on the following Monday, the Day of Reckoning post sounds the last call for the Reckoned shirts. All of those posts will be linked below. Monday night (or Tuesday morning), it starts all over again. The Reckoning, she is a hungry beast...

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

The good news is that "Imposter 2.0" didn't take first place. The bad news is that it took top three and will likely linger.

popcornrox

quality posts: 8 Private Messages popcornrox

The penguins are multiplying!

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11

As a fan of Mario Kart, I need School to be reckoned so I can buy it guilt-free.

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester
popcornrox wrote:The penguins are multiplying!

I'd say they were multiplying like rabbits, but that might give some people new shirt ideas.

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw

panda bears, penguins, pi/e, planets, poe references... did we have a letter P derby and i missed it?

9 out of the (currently) top 20 shirts include these things.

lakesler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakesler

It'll be interesting to see how long both Imposter and Cooler Than You survive without one of them being reckoned. I'm hoping Imposter will finally fall off now that Cooler Than You is up.

I'm surprised Audio Mythos didn't do better. I hope it climbs up in the standings over the course of the week.

mhlyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhlyle
jboshaw wrote:panda bears, penguins, pi/e, planets, poe references... did we have a letter P derby and i missed it?

I had exactly the same thought--2 penguins, 2 Poes, three Pandas, Planets and Pi. We also have two Dr. Who shirts, so this seems to be the week for doubles.

joemail11

This is what I thought of, beautifully rendered in MS Paint and hurriedly uploaded even though I have never done such a thing before. Behold! My Marvellous Mind Revealed!

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13

For posterity's sake....

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
bluejester wrote:The good news is that "Imposter 2.0" didn't take first place. The bad news is that it took top three and will likely linger.

It would have lingered even if it debuted at 24.

thurdl01

quality posts: 11 Private Messages thurdl01
jboshaw wrote:panda bears, penguins, pi/e, planets, poe references... did we have a letter P derby and i missed it?

We've also got Placebo Pork Products, Plenty of Pale People, Poorly Planned Playmates, and a little bit of Pandering Pablum as well.

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr

They're multiplying like rabbits! Wait a second....

debragr

Powers too...

debragr

Knew I should have read ahead before replying to that one!

bluejester wrote:I'd say they were multiplying like rabbits, but that might give some people new shirt ideas.

renkenr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages renkenr

Fan of the Poe shirts. Not the other "P" shirts.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

You forgot polar bears.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
bluejester wrote:I'd say they were multiplying like rabbits, but that might give some people new shirt ideas.

I once had a problem in my math textbook that showed that if you started with like a few dozen rabbits there would be several billion after 20 years.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Mavyn wrote:You forgot polar bears.

same shirts, same difference. there's also those shirts that include playing with fire.

joemail11

Assassin15 wrote:I once had a problem in my math textbook that showed that if you started with like a few dozen rabbits there would be several billion after 20 years.

Say you have a large island. Because you're rich, it's about the size of Australia. Anyway, you have nothing better to do than to put a male and female rabbit on the island and see what happens. You return in a week, and now there are four rabbits. In another week, there are eight rabbits, then sixteen, and so on, where there are twice as many rabbits on your island after each week.

One week, you see that your island is halfway covered with rabbits. How many more weeks until the entire island is covered?

Assassin15

joemail11 wrote:Say you have a large island. Because you're rich, it's about the size of Australia. Anyway, you have nothing better to do than to put a male and female rabbit on the island and see what happens. You return in a week, and now there are four rabbits. In another week, there are eight rabbits, then sixteen, and so on, where there are twice as many rabbits on your island after each week.

One week, you see that your island is halfway covered with rabbits. How many more weeks until the entire island is covered?

Uhhhhh, one more week? Is that some sort of trick question?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

D'oh. I thought it was a trick question, but now I think it's one week too (not factoring in the life expectancy of rabbits).

renkenr

I was under the impression that there would be no maths here...

joemail11

Assassin15 wrote:Uhhhhh, one more week? Is that some sort of trick question?

tgentry wrote:D'oh. I thought it was a trick question, but now I think it's one week too (not factoring in the life expectancy of rabbits).

You people are smarter than you let on. Usually people waaaaay overthink this question and give something weird like 4.5.

On that subject, what do cows drink? What? No more? Fine.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
joemail11 wrote:Say you have a large island. Because you're rich, it's about the size of Australia. Anyway, you have nothing better to do than to put a male and female rabbit on the island and see what happens. You return in a week, and now there are four rabbits. In another week, there are eight rabbits, then sixteen, and so on, where there are twice as many rabbits on your island after each week.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

Didn't someone test this in real life?

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil
lakesler wrote:I'm surprised Audio Mythos didn't do better. I hope it climbs up in the standings over the course of the week.

I'm probably going to be buying both Audio Mythos and Ancestry later in the week. I actually didn't bite on Audio Mythos the first day it was out because I wanted to help it in the reckoning. I'm willing to spend the extra $5 if it helps a good shirt stay around longer.

renkenr

polluxoil wrote:I'm probably going to be buying both Audio Mythos and Ancestry later in the week. I actually didn't bite on Audio Mythos the first day it was out because I wanted to help it in the reckoning. I'm willing to spend the extra $5 if it helps a good shirt stay around longer.

I bought it at the offering because I let Celing Cthulu slip away.

NEVER AGAIN!

Assassin15

joemail11 wrote:You people are smarter than you let on.

Is that in insult I detect there? Well it's ok, since my grampa always tells us, "Them kids ain't as dumb as they look."

gittygrrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gittygrrl
renkenr wrote:I was under the impression that there would be no maths here...

Arrest this man, he talks in maths.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Realizing that some joker keeps dumping rabbits on my island, I prepare a little 'surprise' just off coast for him.

And release a pair of foxes onto the island. Eventually, I have a fox-fur island, much cozier and more fashionable.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

joaolauro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joaolauro

I can sense my Poe is getting kicked out this week.
But hey, I had never lasted 3 weeks before, so that's something.

joemail11

Mavyn wrote:Realizing that some joker keeps dumping rabbits on my island, I prepare a little 'surprise' just off coast for him.

And release a pair of foxes onto the island. Eventually, I have a fox-fur island, much cozier and more fashionable.

You win! It WAS Australia!

no1

joaolauro wrote:I can sense my Poe is getting kicked out this week.
But hey, I had never lasted 3 weeks before, so that's something.

i keep hearing tv ads out of the corner of my ears that advise if you last more than 4 hours, you should call a doctor or a serious injury may result.

joaolauro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joaolauro
no1 wrote:i keep hearing tv ads out of the corner of my ears that advise if you last more than 4 hours, you should call a doctor or a serious injury may result.

haha, after reading my comment again i knew a sexual interpretation would eventually arise.

penthus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus

Please, Imoposter, just die already. You were cute the first couple times I saw you, but now I think you've outgrown your amusement. So many great shirts have died because of you. Please, for the sake of other great shirts, please just end the misery.

ryanstauffer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanstauffer

I think/hope Imposter will be gone soon, given the addition of another (newer) penguin-lineup design. I'd assume most people will buy one or the other rather than both, which should split up the "People Who Buy Penguin Lineup Shirts" demographic in a way that hurts Imposter more than the new one.

Of course, this all doesn't really mean anything if there's a last-minute mass purchase by someone who is particularly interested in the fate of the shirt...

no1

ryanstauffer wrote:I think/hope Imposter will be gone soon, given the addition of another (newer) penguin-lineup design. I'd assume most people will buy one or the other rather than both, which should split up the "People Who Buy Penguin Lineup Shirts" demographic in a way that hurts Imposter more than the new one.

Of course, this all doesn't really mean anything if there's a last-minute mass purchase by someone who is particularly interested in the fate of the shirt...

it does matter. saving a shirt makes financial sense if the profit from another week of sales exceeds the cost of purchasing enough shirts to save it. if sales are split, then the revenue stream in for a given shirt goes down and the cutoff point where it is no longer profitable to save a shirt is lower. if sales for both shirts are too low, then it becomes decision time... which shirt to save?

renkenr

FYI: If you wait until the day of the reckoning, it takes about 50 shirts to JUMP about seven (from 21/22 to 15) places and into the safe zone.

Assassin15

[Prediction]

Ramy will move to 2nd by Monday noon, but not get up to 1st. Mark my words.

[/Prediction]