AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Paradox55 wrote:Just not feeling good about this one, I even suspect that the artist's one shirt purchase is probably Imposter. I've asked Woot for some help putting my mind to rest. What Seki did is beyond despicable, I would not want her to get yet another foot in the door.



I tattled for the same reasons. They won't do anything.

The truth is, this ISNT a very unique style (and as far as that's concerned should really only damn the people who use it further for lack of creativity), but the fact is that it is just like another former user's in ways that shouldn't be overlooked. Given the history of said user, which anyone who's been here long enough would know despite the intentional covering up, I don't trust it at all. This is someone who was banned elsewhere for making fake accounts to promote art. This is someone who has used proxies to sell art. There is no proof this isn't someone that same artist sent a file to in order to enter: the shenanigans which went on in various artist alley situations in the past are proof enough that this isn't an exaggerated, impossible scenario.

Moreover, there are those same sloppy aspects of the other user, the same glowy aspects, the same zero-concept-pure-kawaii thematic nature. It should concern anyone.

But the fact is, the way woot operates, what can be done? What is to stop anyone in the digital age from sending a file to someone else to enter it? What is to stop them from splitting their prize with the person for the sake of being allowed to participate again? If they didn't go that far, there's even less to prevent them from simply making a new voting account and subbing under it, and then just giving their mom's name, or their friend's name, or whatever, when the design wins. That's the simple fact: there is no way to prove this is Sylvia Shi, and there is no way to prove it isn't. What we know is there is INCREDIBLE similarities to her work, and what we know is she is banned from working here.

This is just one more reason woot needs to have quality control, not just the thematic controls that they nevertheless enforce weakly. With the history of the users, and the loopholes inherent in the system, there can be no fair vote, but moreover, there can be no assurance that people who have abused the system will ever be truly banned.

usopp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages usopp
Re: It's the only game they know

some designs don't always work out on shirts for me, but they are really cool, non the less. I just had to tell you that this was awesome, and i really like your artistic style.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: All is left...



I noticed the tree was a live traced photo, but I didn't mention anything because I felt I pushed too many buttons already this week (with the TMNT design and the 99% chance that Sekiyoku returned). However, aside from that, it also seems like woot never rejects tree/ plants (or environment details) when vector traced from a photo. I have seen plenty of photos go un-rejected here. It seems kind of mean to just pick on one design when many others do the same thing. Shouldn't they all be rejected then? Is that woot's doing or is rejection mainly based off tattles? I rarely tattle ( got 2 total).

JoysAreJummy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JoysAreJummy
joemail11 wrote:And that was renegadetim's. And, frankly, I agree with his.



Okay... I was just speaking my mind, was not trying to offend anyone.

I respect everyone's opinion, but if you're going to be disrespectful of mine I will get defensive.

Which explains the snappy remark, which may have been uncalled for. If so, then a thousand apologies.

sweetcl0ver


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetcl0ver

Wow, this is beautiful.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
Re: Line Owl



Beautiful!

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Line Owl



This is very awesome. I would rock this for sure!

amh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh
chumpmagic wrote:I noticed the tree was a live traced photo, but I didn't mention anything because I felt I pushed too many buttons already this week (with the TMNT design and the 99% chance that Sekiyoku returned). However, aside from that, it also seems like woot never rejects tree/ plants (or environment details) when vector traced from a photo. I have seen plenty of photos go un-rejected here. It seems kind of mean to just pick on one design when many others do the same thing. Shouldn't they all be rejected then? Is that woot's doing or is rejection mainly based off tattles? I rarely tattle ( got 2 total).



I completely reject this claim and I am upset that this drawing that took almost 7 hours would be unfairly rejected without any proof.

That is a complete lie. Provide the photo you claim has been traced. I drew the trunk and branches in photoshop using the path tool along the way and then drew several triangles and trapezoids and rotated them around to make the leafs and later cut around to make the shape of the tree cleaner. I originally made them in two green color and then decided to merge on black so some shapes overlap.

sefjwm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefjwm
AdderXYU wrote:I stuff



Yeah my first thought was also, "Why is seki back again?"

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
amh wrote:I completely reject this claim and I am upset that had drawing that took hours would be unfairly rejected without any proof.

That is a complete lie. Provide the photo you claim has been traced. I drew the trunk and branches in photoshop using the path tool along the way and then drew several triangles and trapezoids and rotated them around to make the leafs and later cut around to make the shape of the tree cleaner. I originally made them in two green color and then decided to merge on black so some shapes overlap.



Don't look at me. I didn't get you rejected. After reviewing more of the posts, it looks like the linked bears are what got you, and not even the tree.

And no I don't have a photo of the tree because I am not dedicated to getting people rejected. I just know what raster to vector trace looks like looks like.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
DoublEE wrote:You mean there are people who look at a design, decide what they like by sight and then vote for that design? Animals...



"I like it" is not a reason to give something $1000. I like my sister. I wouldn't necessarily hire her if I ran a business. I'd hire people who had evident skills, obvious pride in their work, and substance of character. Proven sales record would be nice, but ultimately meaningless without also having those qualities.

colourcraze


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colourcraze
Re: Line Owl



haha. the wings are placed for cupping boobies. :3

vn01208503


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vn01208503
louiemctool wrote:Hmmm.. where have I seen these guys before...?

Oh, that's right! Firefoxes!



lol i see more stupidfox its cute

derkis


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis
Re: Turtle Trap



Turtles are considered woodland animals now?

colourcraze


quality posts: 1 Private Messages colourcraze
locustpr wrote:Aww thanks for the love.
Quick clarifying question for you though, is it the shirt color in general you don't like or the illustration on this particular color that's bothersome?



I think if you used a warmer gray it would work on this tee colour. as of now it's got too much blue in it and it's distracting.

amh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh
chumpmagic wrote:Don't look at me. I didn't get you rejected. After reviewing more of the posts, it looks like the linked bears are what got you, and not even the tree.

And no I don't have a photo of the tree because I am not dedicated to getting people rejected. I just know what raster to vector trace looks like looks like.



No, you are absolutely wrong! A vector raster would leave holes all over the trunk of the tree, it would not have a nice outer line clean like this, it would have perspective defect, like the leaves would be mixed of vary large and very small ones in the middle. Additionally, I can't think of a tree that would have all leaves so spaced as to not be completely black in the center.

You based your tattle on a gut feeling that was wrong and unsubstantiated, Woot obliged and rejected my work off-the-bat despite me having more years as a member than you, and having been a respectable member of the woot community.

What you wanted is your "night hunting" design to do better, you are the one who should be punished for trying to win by tattling on others.

If my design isn't reinstated I probably won't be back around Woot for purchases or submissions.

The bears were hand drawn first roughly, and later, I went around the outline flicking my tablet pen to give the fur impression.

There was not tracing in any part, period, and I can;t accept to be rejected without any proof.

jimiyo


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimiyo
Re: Turtle Trap



opened all the ?/in the fog.

cute.

ApeLad


quality posts: 63 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: TreeHugger



Hey Flashfox! Nice to see your work here.
Sorry about the rejection, at least it's the technical kind and not the "no, just no" kind.
If you need technical help getting a file ready, there are lots of people here who can give you tips, myself included (though I've never done gradients in a derby, but I can help with other things if you need it. Dishes and such.)

amh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh

No, superpose either bear. you'll see. mine is looking straight at the tree, the photo is looking down, The width is different, and the other bear, mine is looking straight down, rather than to the side. The flying tree bottom is very similar to a Chinese floating tree painting available to be seen at the Asian art museum of San Francisco. But I completely drew mine by myself, no tracing or anything funky.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
amh wrote:No, you are absolutely wrong! A vector raster would leave holes all over the trunk of the tree, it would not have a nice outer line clean like this, it would have perspective defect, like the leaves would be mixed of vary large and very small ones in the middle. Additionally, I can't think of a tree that would have all leaves so spaced as to not be completely black in the center.

You based your tattle on a gut feeling that was wrong and unsubstantiated, Woot obliged and rejected my work off-the-bat despite me having more years as a member than you, and having been a respectable member of the woot community.

What you wanted is your "night hunting" design to do better, you are the one who should be punished for trying to win by tattling on others.

If my design isn't reinstated I probably won't be back around Woot for purchases or submissions.

The bears were hand drawn first roughly, and later, I went around the outline flicking my tablet pen to give the fur impression.

There was not tracing in any part, period, and I can;t accept to be rejected without any proof.




For the third time, I did not tattle on your design...

but thanks for calling me a cheat, even though my first comment was defending you if anything since they don't reverse rejections. LOOK AT THE IMAGES/ BEARS THAT SOMEONE LINKED ABOVE... that its probably what they based your rejection off. Again, I didn't tattle on you. I just made my post after it was rejected because it confused me... sheesh!

mdmbunny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdmbunny
jbb04 wrote:Lol. I love the bear. You tell a great story with your art.



well, thanks (:

amh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh
chumpmagic wrote:For the third time, I did not tattle on your design...

but thanks for calling me a cheat, even though my first comment was defending you if anything since they don't reverse rejections. LOOK AT THE IMAGES/ BEARS THAT SOMEONE LINKED ABOVE... that its probably what they based your rejection off. Again, I didn't tattle on you. I just made my post after it was rejected because it confused me... sheesh!



Alright, I am just frustrated about getting original, untraced work called as such. There is always something out there that resembles something else. but there is nothing more frustrating than doing things right, and someone telling you you didn't. My apologies if my claim was unfair. next time, please don't just assume cheating. The tree, like all else there was drawn from inspiration of hundreds of pictures and drawings, but none was copied nor traced in any way.

I know if you were in my place and someone just called you a cheat when you weren't you'd be equally frustrated. Again, sorry for undue offense, just deep frustration speaking.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
Re: Time in the Clink



"Hey here comes that frog, al-right. Maybe he'll come near me so I can pet him, and stick him in a mayonnaise jar, with a stick and a leaf, to recreate what he's used to." ~The late great Mitch Hedberg

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
amh wrote:Alright, I am just frustrated about getting original, untraced work called as such. There is always something out there that resembles something else. but there is nothing more frustrating than doing things right, and someone telling you you didn't. My apologies if my claim was unfair. next time, please don't just assume cheating. The tree, like all else there was drawn from inspiration of hundreds of pictures and drawings, but none was copied nor traced in any way.

I know if you were in my place and someone just called you a cheat when you weren't you'd be equally frustrated. Again, sorry for undue offense, just deep frustration speaking.



Well, That what my original comment was about really... Lots of stuff can have a photo/ live trace look to it. Some are actually live traced while some aren't. How does woot determine that? To rephrase a question in my first comment, why does this design get rejected while other that "appear to have photos" in them don't? Every derby seems to have at least one entry that I could replicate by live tracing photos ( at least the environment/ background) that doesn't get reject. It has always confused me, and the un-rejected ones always seem to be photos of trees or plants.

Also, I do understand your frustration, and I should have said this appears to me as a live trace... not that it is. It does seem like I just jump to the conclusion. Partly my bad.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
colourcraze wrote:I think if you used a warmer gray it would work on this tee colour. as of now it's got too much blue in it and it's distracting.



Blue? Are you having me on?
Where are you seeing blue?

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: oopsies



as someone who's been to a few cons in her day, i've seen this style a lot, so i just saw it as a normal entry. im not understanding the instant hatred and distrust, its like this site has turned into an angry mob. no one is gonna want to come back here after getting a welcoming like this and i, personally wouldn't blame them. i think this artist deserves the benefit of the doubt. i dont think they should have to prove themselves to anyone. if you dont like their work, just pass it by. i wasn't around when seki was here but i took a quick look through shirtwhat and i dont think her stuff looks too similar to this at all. in fact sekis stuff just looks like rambys to me, the only one that looks remotely similar to me is the cat pumpkin. but despite all that, this artist still doesn't deserve to be attacked when so far all they have been is nice. it just makes me sad to see anyone, let alone a fellow artist, to be attacked for, what to me, is no good reason. this person shouldn't have to pay for someone else's deeds. and if im wrong and this person is really someone else, then....so what? you have to just do the same thing as you would do to any other work you dont like, ignore it. it might not be justice or right to you, but you cant crucify someone for just having a similar style to someone you hate.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
Re: Little John's the Turkey( Now in Grey)



V.2 Now on Heather Grey.

Trelligan


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Trelligan

I was gonna press the "I'd want one" button, but, you see, I'm pre-diabetic.

-
It's pronounced TREHL-ih-gan, rhymes with well-it-can, stress on the first syllable.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
Re: Round and round



This should be getting more love.

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
polluxoil wrote:I was about to say the same thing....wait he died? Oh no. That makes me sad.



Yeah, he died on Feb 5th. I was so sad to hear about it, too. Been reading his books in his honor lately, so seeing this design was a welcome sight.

locustpr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages locustpr
locustpr wrote:Blue? Are you having me on?
Where are you seeing blue?



Now on Heather Grey!

[/url]

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
megsck wrote: i dont think they should have to prove themselves to anyone.....

but you cant crucify someone for just having a similar style to someone you hate.



Your right, this artist shouldn't have to prove their self, but you know how some of these die hard enthusiasts are. I fear if he/she doesn't , its only going to get worst... There was already a few post that got deleted early in the derby which is why I, and I assume SP too, commented in attempt to clarify and kill any false assumptions.

But you are correct; this is a horrible welcoming to a new member...

Also, no one is saying they don't like the art or the style. Obviously people do (its fogged ). It was Seki's values and work ethic that people questioned. At least that is my understanding.


lakesler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakesler

Yeah, I noticed that pretty early on as well. It's nearly identical in concept and design. Odd.

streetwalkincheetah wrote:Weird. I just saw almost the same design while scoring submissions over at threadless. Absolutely not saying anybody copied anything, it's just weird how the universe works sometimes. Like minds & all, I guess.



lakesler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakesler

Wait, *this* gets rejected while a shirt that is identical in concept, and nearly identical in execution to a shirt up for scoring over at Threadless doesn't?

Seriously, Woot. The call on this one really doesn't make sense to me. The photos cited are pretty standard stock photos and don't match the outlines of the bears here. A lot of artists use reference photos and those are just a couple of very similar photographs you can find all over the web. I personally give the artist a +1 for style, execution and realism.

ShayAnne


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShayAnne
Re: Cosmic Eagle



While this design truly is gorgeous... It really has nothing to do with woodsy things. Sure its an animal that could very well be found in a forest. However, I don't think the point of the derby was to use just the animals, but use the animals in their natural setting as well or different variations of such.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 282 Private Messages Spiritgreen
chumpmagic wrote:Your right, this artist shouldn't have to prove their self, but you know how some of these die hard enthusiasts are. I fear if he/she doesn't , its only going to get worst... There was already a few post that got deleted early in the derby which is why I, and I assume SP too, commented in attempt to clarify and kill any false assumptions.



Right, it's a weird situation for someone to find themselves in, jlegos, I'm trying to help you understand it. Posting a link to your other art would show everyone that you're a separate artist. It's that simple.

Not knocking your design at all or trying to be unfriendly - and I'm genuinely sorry if you're being wronged here. Just providing an easy solution!

npromero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
Re: When did Foxes start setting Fires?



Tricky little pyro bastards. Somebody's gonna have to be pretty sly to out fox a fox.



flashfox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages flashfox
ApeLad wrote:Hey Flashfox! Nice to see your work here.
Sorry about the rejection, at least it's the technical kind and not the "no, just no" kind.
If you need technical help getting a file ready, there are lots of people here who can give you tips, myself included (though I've never done gradients in a derby, but I can help with other things if you need it. Dishes and such.)



Yeah thanks. The submissions page SPECIFICALLY states people using Illustrator should leave the gradients as gradients and they will do the halftones...so I'm not sure why it says that if they don't mean it, but I'll figure it out and resubmit. No worries.

flemtone


quality posts: 16 Private Messages flemtone
Re: Because It's Cold Out



Yep, I see both my daughters in that expression. Great work as always!

lokomi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lokomi
Re: Breakfsat



Thats really cool flyingmouse365!
I l♥ve it!
Keep up the good work.