jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
BootsBoots wrote:This is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's the best thing you've done EVER.

HAHA! My owls are all huddled in the corner, WEEPING.
j/k. Thanks, Boots.

PixelPants

quality posts: 74 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: I Will Not Blend

Great painterly effects contrasting with the line work jewelwing. You took all the elements of the pre-derby version and tied them together beautifully. +1

ste7enl

quality posts: 18 Private Messages ste7enl
joemail11 wrote:Great coloring and detail! The hair detracts from it for me. However, that is not enough to stop me from liking this one.

I'm glad you still like it. The "hair" is my favorite part, but probably because im familiar with the real version of this bird (not the made up name I gave it) that has a similar head color line that makes it look like it has hair

amh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages amh
awlwren wrote:Okay, while I like the concept, and the cross-hatch style, there's a lot that bugs me about this shirt. For instance, who is holding the...gun behind the rabbit's head? The perspective is a bit wonky, making the owl's head look flat, the chipmunk amputated, and the cartridges look like they should roll off that stump. If you just shift the owl over a bit, you could see the...elk? much better. The shirt is also very dark, which doesn't help clarity issues. That might be the style you're going for, but it's a detractor for me.

The guns could also use a bit more work. The stocks are solid, and I thank you for remembering them and what looks like maybe a system for breech loading, but that's as good as it gets. I understand the urge to stylize that prompted the unnaturally extreme flaring of the guns themselves, but that doesn't excuse the way the rabbit's gun is crooked, or the utter disregard for gun safety - the chipmunk looks suicidal, and I don't even know what's going on with the gun on the ground.

Also, on a completely pedantic note, while an "f"-like letter was commonly used as an "s" in old documents, it was not fully crossed and never used as a final letter.

I say all this not to beat you into the ground, but because I really do like the concept, and you seem to have a feel for using hatches to create texture and depth. The rabbit, for example, is amazing, as is all the fur - that's part of what makes me regret so much not being able to see the other animals clearly. I've seen you do some awesome art, but this just... the composition of the shot sabotages the concept.

awlwren, I'm sorry you did not like this submission

It seems I missed the mark this time, as I have received several similar comments. Except for the "f" like letter, as I got those words one by-one as they were written in the New England journal, Monday, April 8, 1728. (Though maybe they made the mistake?)

Either way, I take your criticism as constructive and I'll try to keep in mind the points you made for future designs.

Per your comment, I have decided to submit another entry to this derby for fun, despite very slim chances of wining.

alfbo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
kylemittskus wrote:I have to be honest -- I really don't like this one. It has no concept or idea.

Actually, it works as a visual pun. As a poker player, you want to have the "nuts," which means you have the best possible hand.

GMV.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Night Hunting

well done on another sweet design chump! gmv!

qwasdfz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qwasdfz
Re: Take Back The Sky!

Red Leader I got one! Yes! Love it!

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: Moose Und Sqvirrel

Fixed blurry thumbnail image...
please re-vote...

See zee moose und zee sqvirrel in zeir natural habitat? Zey are peaceful no?

Moose Und Sqvirrel
6 colors
on Black

ToasterP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ToasterP
Re: Big Dam Heroes

The two color nature of this works really well and plays up the use of fine detail work. Would love for this to print

Relay for Life 2011 Donate to fight cancer

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: Are YOU My Mother?

Why Yessssssssss....

Are YOU My Mother?
4 Colors on Brown

novastarj

quality posts: 34 Private Messages novastarj
Re: Tiger in the Grass

FWIW I think this is a harsh rejection. Per Wikipedia:

"Bengal Tigers live in many types of forests, including wet; evergreen; the semi-evergreen of Assam and eastern Bengal; the mangrove forest of the Ganges Delta; the deciduous forest of Nepal, and the thorn forests of the Western Ghats."

"Woodlands" encompasses a wide variety of ecosystems. Just because a tiger is in the grass doesn't mean it's not in the woodlands also.

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Must have! GMV

rlbilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlbilley
Re: Failed Disguise

That is awesome

rlbilley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlbilley
Re: I Will Not Blend

WOW I like it

kennykrotzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennykrotzer

I'm very sympathetic to "dam" puns. No matter what, they never get old! And this is such an awesome shirt!!

ToasterP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ToasterP
Re: Poker Face

AHH! the squirrel blinked at me!

also unless you have an ace in the pocket you need to run from that crazy eyed squirrel

Relay for Life 2011 Donate to fight cancer

awlwren

quality posts: 3 Private Messages awlwren
amh wrote:awlwren, I'm sorry you did not like this submission

It seems I missed the mark this time, as I have received several similar comments. Except for the "f" like letter, as I got those words one by-one as they were written in the New England journal, Monday, April 8, 1728. (Though maybe they made the mistake?)

Either way, I take your criticism as constructive and I'll try to keep in mind the points you made for future designs.

Per your comment, I have decided to submit another entry to this derby for fun, despite very slim chances of wining.

Ah, I stand corrected on the usage of the long "s", then.

Please take this in the spirit it was intended - as constructive. I really think you have done some great work, and wish you the best of luck in your other design. And this one does seem to be getting some votes, so I'm glad that it's working for some people.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: Another Sleepless Day

At last, a shirt for all of us night owls!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: batty kid (resub)

darned kid's always tootin' his horn!

rue842

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rue842

is the title a Firefly reference? just curious.

i like it!

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

HOORAY FOR BROWNCOATS!!

shinobamoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinobamoon
Re: Poker Face

Amazing! I want one! Great Job!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Owly's new home

Wow. I know owls are carnivores, but.... Brrrr!

paigeg

Re: Shadow Puppets

Lovely concept - cute! There's something a bit wonky about the angle of the flashlight and the light stream, but otherwise, clean and nice.

paigeg

Re: WOLF

I wonder how this would look in, say, gray on royal?
>i can't believe I just said that; ME, the Queen of Green!<

bluetuba

quality posts: 60 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: I'm not contagious, I swear

The brown things on the right don't even look like squirrels at all! Even less so than Ramy's usual.. What is wrong with the one on the far right's head? That thing looks more like a human baby than a rodent.

Also controversy does NOT create votes other than from the goobers who spite vote thinking it's going to matter at all. The vast majority of voters (ESPECIALLY ramyb voters) don't read the threads and may not even realize they exist. These are the people who don't have any clue what the Reckoning is and who panic when a shirt sells out, remember.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

paigeg

Re: tarantino bee

This just makes me smile.

corax404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corax404
Re: Owly's new home

Alright derp owl. You're getting my vote just because of how clever I think this shirt design is.

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns
Re: Failed Disguise

Good one MJ I hope this one dose well.

paigeg

Re: Manhunt

Yes, I think the composition is a bit wonky, but the illo is otherwise appealing - fun and funky. But, Woot doesn't have a charcoal shirt color... Asphalt?

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

paigeg

Re: Woody Wagon

Freakin' FUN shirt. I adore the beehive engine - and, of course, the Ed Roth vibe.

TonyGreyfox

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TonyGreyfox
bluetuba wrote:The brown things on the right don't even look like squirrels at all! Even less so than Ramy's usual.. What is wrong with the one on the far right's head? That thing looks more like a human baby than a rodent.

It's a cartoon. Relax.

This actually made me chuckle when I saw it pop up; it fits the Derby, I knew Ramy would be doing squirrels, and they're amusing cartoony characters, so no problems there, really. It's a pretty good Ramy design, and while I think the zombie fad needs to be shotgunned back into the grave, it works for me.
Having said that, I find there to be too much dead space between the critters up front, and the one hiding behind the tree seems to be lost in the background. So some potential there for improvement, but overall not bad.

omalleyrules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omalleyrules
bluetuba wrote:The brown things on the right don't even look like squirrels at all! Even less so than Ramy's usual.. What is wrong with the one on the far right's head? That thing looks more like a human baby than a rodent.

Also controversy does NOT create votes other than from the goobers who spite vote thinking it's going to matter at all. The vast majority of voters (ESPECIALLY ramyb voters) don't read the threads and may not even realize they exist. These are the people who don't have any clue what the Reckoning is and who panic when a shirt sells out, remember.

Goober? That made me smile. I think the last time I heard the word goober was in middle school. I guess my response should be something like "I'm rubber and you're glue..."

I enjoy reading these threads, but the bashing of this one artist just gets annoying. I've seen PLENTY of Paint style submissions need the criticism more than these shirts.

paigeg

Re: Money laundering

The colors you chose are just perfect. And so fun! +1

AlexIAm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AlexIAm
Re: Honey Bear

This is full of awesome. GMV

>insert funny quote here<

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: Moose Und Sqvirrel

i wish you had taken the persons' advice who said to get rid of the really dark lines on the moose, because now all i see is a toddler's puzzle with those lines.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
TonyGreyfox wrote:while I think the zombie fad needs to be shotgunned back into the grave.

it will just rise again and eat your brain! =)

paigeg

Re: Take Back The Sky!

Well, you can't exactly call it a dog fight...

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: Another Sleepless Day

I absolutely LOVE the owl's expression! +1

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?