snowfreeze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowfreeze
Re: beard magic!

Cool. I went and bought some silly T just so I could vote for this one.

So if it doesn't make the top ten, are we still able to buy it somehow?

I have a red-beard, lol. I need something to show my mom to prove it's magical next time I go over and she says the same thing she says everytime I go over (when are you gonna shave that all off?!?). LOL

rhizoma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhizoma
Re: In magic skies

I like the drawing a lot, but with color, this could be epic!

rhizoma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhizoma
Re: Tide goes in, tide goes out. MAG(net)IC

You can't explain that! Haha, great title.

sillykris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sillykris
Re: AbracadabrAAAAHHHH

This is absolutely spectacular-- there's a lot of stiff competition in this derby, but I seriously hope this prints!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: How to levitate a llama

Your style and characters are wonderful! And I like hte faded coloring.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Finders Keepers...

Your daughter does have terrific promise. Definitely encourage her to learn more skills, with paper, and with the software. She has a good grasp on composition - I especially love how the dragon's tail wraps around the leg.
BTW, I didn't see if anyone commented on your scanning issue, other than suggesting tracing paper.
When I scan a drawing, I set it to 300dpi, then desaturate it so it's just grayscale, and the background is pure white. I beef up the lines in PS if they need it, then I select by color and copy just the linework onto a new transparent canvas. This isn't 100% foolproof - for some reason I lose opacity in the lines and have to re-fill them. But that's quicker than having to erase all that gray!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
KevinSGreen wrote:Parody, by whatever definition you care to ascribe, is not required according to the the derby blurb and is therefore irrelevant.

To quote: "That's why for this Derby we want to see your interpretations of magic: its power, its effects on people and nature, or maybe just your favorite magic trick. Conjure up some images that invoke power, showmanship, and mysticism."

I'd say Tim definitely falls into the showmanship category if nothing else.

Parody is required by law for use of intellectual property for profit. If this shirt is made and Monty Python decides to sue, woot would have to prove that there is some form of parody and this shirt makes some kind of statement that the original creators would not have been comfortable with. Woot would lose that battle pretty quickly.

AS stated many many many many many many times before, parody is a defense. IP is property and the burden of proof is on the party creating the derivative work not the license owner.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

Nice!

NameyMcName

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NameyMcName
Re: Rookie Mistake

What a ding dong.

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
Re: HUGE mistake (V2)

Pandora's Hat!

neeznoodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neeznoodle
paigeg wrote:When I scan a drawing, I set it to 300dpi, then desaturate it so it's just grayscale, and the background is pure white. I beef up the lines in PS if they need it, then I select by color and copy just the linework onto a new transparent canvas. This isn't 100% foolproof - for some reason I lose opacity in the lines and have to re-fill them. But that's quicker than having to erase all that gray!

Excellent advice! Thank you. I'll be sure to do this next time.

Last night I was playing around with halftones, and now have a very basic grasp of them. I'm actually starting to get excited about future entries, and am certain I will improve my speed on formatting her drawings with each subsequent entry. Your advice will certainly help me do so.

I may request a partnership at some point, but for now I think I want to continue learning this on my own. It never occurred to me to teach my daughter about PS, but I can do that, too, as I increase my knowledge. Many thanks to Spiritgreen for his/her tutorial on halftones (it was far better than anything I found in my 5+ books on Photoshop!) at http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4382556&PageIndex=6&ReplyCount=252#post4384363.

jbb04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04

Yeah, you see alot of Gandalfs but this is the only elf I'm aware of. Very cool!

jbb04

This feels like a cross between the Neverending Story and the ghost seen on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

xodin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xodin
Re: Magical Cube of Evil

This is awesome on many levels

jbb04

I love this picture! This is possibly the ONLY shirt on this derby I'd actual buy. And good luck, I've had fun racing you to the top!

sungryphon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sungryphon
Re: The Weasel and the Owl

I looove this shirt! I want it so bad.

jbb04

I agree, sometimes it's so hard to tell a joke with a picture and you've done an excellent job.

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
Re: Grimoire Ver 2

This is phenomenal. Easily my favorite shirt in this derby. I really hope this prints.

biotwist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biotwist
mayh658 wrote:Nice try, but a shirt where the human kills the rabbit just won't print.

It has to be the other way around!

he didn't mean to kill the rabbit. the body just got stuck

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
jbb04 wrote:This feels like a cross between the Neverending Story and the ghost seen on Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I will take that as a complement.
By the way, if you have never read the book The Neverending Story, you should. It is amazing.

Harmony Joy Wallender

HannaDisaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HannaDisaster
studio1172 wrote:Original and on topic. Kasey is one of the best illustrators on this site and never gets the attention he deserves. Give this guy a print!

Amen to that

enesvy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enesvy
Re: Expecto Catronus

Oh, Lord, a cute dementor! You've achieved the unachievable!

You're messin' with my zen thing, man.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
joemail11 wrote:I'm only a little Scandinavian, but I live in Minnesota, does that qualify me to wear this?

I think that qualifies. As a fellow Minnesotan (with a red beard) I think anyone who can survive our winters should be an honorary Scandinavian. Plus, it's perfect for Vikings games!

harmonyjoy

This is really cute. :D

Harmony Joy Wallender

firewallender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firewallender

Great colours and design, I'd buy it. :-)

Re: Imagination Magic

caitmac89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caitmac89

I would definitely buy this shirt if it won!

harmonyjoy

firewallender wrote:Great colours and design, I'd buy it. :-)

Thanks! :D

Harmony Joy Wallender

harmonyjoy

Re: Expecto Catronus

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAH
AWESOME

Harmony Joy Wallender

Gaines

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gaines

I liked this shirt better when I saw the closeup view of just the wizard and the cards. With the other stuff it's just too busy.

baseballjf14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baseballjf14
Re: Grimoire Ver 2

I WILL buy this once it wins. (It will win won't it?)

npromero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero

Oh crap I NEEEEEED this!
Beard magic is freaking amazing, can easily take out all forms of elemental magic, and dare i mention The Killing Course too?

Unstoppable this man is!

Please vote and help make this shirt print.

heartflux

quality posts: 5 Private Messages heartflux
Re: THE WIZARD OF GORE

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You win some, lose some, it's - all - the same to me
The pleasure is to play, it makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
The Ace Of Spades
The Ace Of Spades

(on my chainsaw)

I woot, therefore I am.

kaylani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaylani

I love this design! The dragon, wizard, fairy, mermaid, and unicorn are all great! I like the water droplets coming out from the mermaid.

Also, great idea to have it all come from a book. I can think of at least 6 people that this would make a great gift for. I would definitely buy a few if this one wins!

jbb04

harmonyjoy wrote:I will take that as a complement.

It was meant as such.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: Wizard vs Wizard

Great spy vs. spy reference!

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
Re: 2 Out of 3?

Someone mentioned to me that they didn't understand that the design was them playing Paper, Scissor, Rock... Do you all see that? or does it not read that way?

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
jbb04 wrote:I really like the texture on his fur.

Thank you. That part was a real struggle. I kept trying to figure out how to make it look nice with a limited palette.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
djtheatre wrote:Someone mentioned to me that they didn't understand that the design was them playing Paper, Scissor, Rock... Do you all see that? or does it not read that way?

no, I still don't see it.

PatrickHartnett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PatrickHartnett
Re: magic lamp

i love this shirt i can haz cheezburger

emlowry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emlowry

Wait, is it just me or are the elf's thumbs on the wrong side of each hand? With hands in those positions, the thumbs should be on the far side, not facing the viewer.