mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
KevinSGreen wrote:snip




Please read the article for yourself. Several times because It's clear you didn't understand it or skimmed it too quickly to realize what it is saying. The bottom line is that creators of a work own that work and burden of proof is on the creator of the derivative work to show that they fall under fair use.

If you go through that checklist you'll see that copying something to make money off of it without changing anything is never going to fall under fair use. Parody is one of the primary means to show that it is fair use because the copyright owner is unlikely to grant use to something critical of their work.

If you are just copying something for monetary gain (as this is) there is very little reason that you shouldn't have gotten permission first. That's the point. It doesn't matter if woot requires parody or not. And woot is liable no matter what their disclaimers state, which is why they are part of the litigation against seki and why they take down shirts that have been found to be stolen images or ideas.

theonlyalterego


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theonlyalterego
mrwednesday wrote:I'm going to have to agree. With the genie as a human it is much more of a non-sequitor as it paints a picture where it is unlikely the cat has any way to express its desire for a cheeseburger to the genie and the genie has no idea what the cat wants or even who rubbed the lamp.

With the genie a cat, it loses a great deal of subtlety and impact especially because there's no reason the genie should be a cat. I'm sure ramy will be a great resource for half-tones, shine and cramming the same cute animals into every design, but if you really want to improve, pay attention to the other designers here. Concept and execution is by far ramy's weakest area.



I agree with this. Less cat genie = more win. Otherwise, excellent shirt in all aspects.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
mrwednesday wrote:It doesn't. Seeing as how 5/9 in the fog have humans and 1/9 has a cat (this shirt which would look better and be better conceptually with a humanoid genie) I'd say your argument holds very little water.



Right in that regard, but I don't count most of those as humans (for some odd, inexplicable reason). Maybe because they are cartoony? Anyway, Grimoire is the one that I count, the Illusionist, I count as half (no features). Yeah...I realized how pathetic the cats vs. humans argument was soon after I posted it.

Regardless of my pitiful reasoning, I still think the same way.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
Re: The wrong rabbit for the show



Aside from the obvious re-hashing of stale ideas, death's grip on the Bunnies ears is waaay too lose for me. I can only assume the same people keep buying all of Ramby's shirts? Don't you have enough of the cute character murders something type shirts?

ResidualChaos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ResidualChaos

I'd loved to have seen this resubmitted with the thumbs corrected and still in green. Blue is alright, but the green was absolutely fantastic. ...I think I just have a thing for green. XD Beautiful artwork, either way. <3

artbreaker


quality posts: 0 Private Messages artbreaker
thewronggrape wrote:The thumbnail does not do this justice. Seeing the entire picture brought so many little details like those above me have mentioned. The entire composition is perfect! Love this. If it doesn't print, I hope you get an HM so we may see it in a future double-take!



Thank you. It's a great thing to know that my work is making an impression, and a good one at that.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=52144

harmonyjoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
darthapo wrote:Thanks for the kind words everybody!



Uhm, why can't they do it?

Harmony Joy Wallender

harmonyjoy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
Re: D20 For Life



I love this. Rad.

Harmony Joy Wallender

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
joemail11 wrote:Is it kevlar51 (or something like that) with the Victorian robot? I like the Victorian robot.



Rogerrogerroger has the Victorian robot; Rglee has the awesome robot that never f*%&^ing wins.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: MAGIK



Is that Gwen Stefani?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
mrwednesday wrote:Please read the article for yourself.



I didn't read the article because this isn't a god damned law class. Parody is how shirt.woot protects itself. Are there other protections? Apparently so. But the fact remains that woot rejects designs for lack of parody when copyrighted images and characters are used and allows designs that clearly parody said copyrighted material.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
kylemittskus wrote:Rogerrogerroger has the Victorian robot; Rglee has the awesome robot that never f*%&^ing wins.



I meant this one.

carolmgm2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carolmgm2
Re: EPIC ROLL


this one has a gradient on it i can tell

lunadust12


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunadust12
blanked wrote:I like how you added color, if I hadn't seen it I woulda thought that that much red would be too much.
For criticism, I think you over did the crosshatching on the hat. I think the first colored version in the prederby looked cleaner without that extra shading.



i liked it better too but i thought since the hat is supposed to be black it should hint to being darker? i definitely agree with you about the hat.

usopp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages usopp
Re: In magic skies

add color, will like

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
printwizjoe wrote:so what should i do to fix this problem?



You have 24 hours in which you can remove your own design. I believe there's an X in the upper right corner of your design (I'm going off memory, as I've never submitted).

If you're using the shirt templates provided by woot, your design needs to fit in the box. You also need to make sure you're not using gradients, as those are forbidden. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I'm not a designer. I know some of the artists have links in their signatures that may be more helpful, so maybe look at some of the comments on the other designs and see if you find them.

caherna2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages caherna2
Re: Wizard Magic Party



I need this shirt.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
joemail11 wrote:Right in that regard, but I don't count most of those as humans (for some odd, inexplicable reason). Maybe because they are cartoony?



That's the part people are missing though. It doesn't have to look like a perfect human and it probably shouldn't. The genie from Aladdin is a humanoid but no one would say it was human. It wouldn't be that hard to make a humanoid/demon looking genie that avoided the "I have a human on my shirt problem" and that also helped complete the shirt conceptually.

KevinSGreen


quality posts: 7 Private Messages KevinSGreen
mrwednesday wrote:Please read the article for yourself.


I did, prior to my original post, thanks.

mrwednesday wrote:Several times because It's clear you didn't understand it or skimmed it too quickly to realize what it is saying.


Incorrect. But as kylemittskus so eloquently put it, this isn't a law class. Since my response was already long, I didn't think a longer analysis / commentary would serve any positive purpose.

Personally, I enjoy these kind of debates and could go on ad naseum. But, I'm off for a few days R&R with the kids and the debate would be stale. Plus, I doubt the other Wooters care to read our back-and-forth.

So, I'm deleting the rest of the response I was crafting and wishing you well. I'll check later to see what happened.

cdrewlow


quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow

Don't forget Kenney9226's lips.

sarahlav


quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahlav
npromero wrote:Right! Here's my justification. Beside me being the biggest Harry Potter nerd ever and trying to weasel something by.
Im gonna give you the short version.
In the books only a person who can preform true magic is allowed into a school of magic. In turn they're kinda like constant walking talking magic. Just cause they're not making things disappear or float doesn't mean they're not doing magic, they are. Just in their own little subtle ways. Like if they're living moving magic. :D

It's a bit of a stretch I know, but so are most entries every week. Anywho with this being a late sub and me not having any real art skills it'll never make it up to print. They're just fun to make. :D

Ninja Magic!



Don't sell yourself short, you have skills!!

I am not a Potter follower so your explanation clears a lot up. This shirt really speaks to me, now I just know what the hell it's saying! Love the characters.

wormsweater


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wormsweater

I' want one.

keithjmc


quality posts: 2 Private Messages keithjmc
Re: Underground Magic



Definitely resub this.

Big Orphaned Cetacea 3/9/11
Random Crap 12/1/10
Random Crap 5/26/10

keithjmc


quality posts: 2 Private Messages keithjmc
djtheatre wrote:Someone mentioned to me that they didn't understand that the design was them playing Paper, Scissor, Rock... Do you all see that? or does it not read that way?



I didn't see it until I read your post and even then it took me a second to process the scissors.

Big Orphaned Cetacea 3/9/11
Random Crap 12/1/10
Random Crap 5/26/10

shadowofai


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadowofai
Re: Fearless



This artwork rocks. Like 80's hairband rawks!

jbb04


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbb04

Congrats on getting to the Fog!

gingembre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingembre
Re: White Eyed Wizard



I like this a lot, but would love to see it on a white shirt!

gingembre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingembre
Re: Magic Rainbow



Love it! Wish it was on a different color, but still awesomeness!

kbeers


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kbeers
Delusionalovely wrote:Why the light blue shirt?
I think a darker green would look great with the green splash you added in the background.
Or a navy, or a purple, or a heather gray or slate, or annything but the light blue. :/



I was thinking cranberry, to reinforce Gryffindor colors, especially with the yellow sunburst. The light blue seems to make it too juvenile, and a little, I don't know...80s-ish?

Cute animals though.

gingembre


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingembre
Re: The Sword Spirit



awesome! I would hang this on my wall!

collinvh


quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
Re: The Disappearing Mouse Trick



I'm very surprised and bummed your on the edge of the fog. Winner in my book. Good luck. Woot on!

scotta21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scotta21

Love this! Would like to see it in a black shirt?

KWildman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KWildman
borrin1 wrote:Kuwabara?



This DOES remind me of Kuwabara!

jimmyjames2306


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyjames2306
Re: A Hoppit's Tale



i would get this shirt!

James Dunn

highapplepie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages highapplepie
wootleey wrote:Nifty, I like it



Thanks for your feedback. This is only the second shirt design I've ever made. Look for me weekly!

highapplepie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages highapplepie
rhizoma wrote:You can't explain that! Haha, great title.



Thanks!
I knew right away when I saw the theme that I wanted to burn O'Reilly. It didn't do as well as I had hoped, but it's only my second shirt design ever so hopefully I'll get better.
Look for me weekly! I try to have a laugh.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
cdrewlow wrote:Don't forget Kenney9226's lips.



Kenny is a completely different story.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Ghaleon256


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ghaleon256

You're wrong woot... you can do it, trust me because I say it is okay.

juuhachi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juuhachi

I really hope this gets picked as an Honorable Mention. It's really a beautiful piece and would be great in my collection of shirts that seem to be growing.

sirmsquared


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirmsquared
Re: Where falling stars come from



It might not be suitable for Woot, but I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair.

Let us know if you make this T-shirt elsewhere! :-)