Re: Punnett's Misstep

science! +1!

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger
Re: extinction theory

perfect middle school diorama!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
tgentry wrote:I see your point here. While the topic of the experiment clearly seems to be bio-mutation, which on the surface seems to be out of the reach of a middle schooler, it's not being approached at a level that would be out of their grasp (like say an advanced report on radioactivity's effect on chromosomes or proteins). Similarly there could be advanced levels of light or plant growth that would be too advanced for middle schoolers, and thus against the rules. OK, you've convinced me.

I'm not I'm following exactly what you've been convinced of but as someone who is a scientist the initial rejection was correct. Part of the requirements for funding agencies and departments is outreach into the community and as a result I have spent a fair amount of time coordinating and presenting for science clubs in our local area.

Any sort of mutation project is well beyond the reach of middle schoolers and junior high even into high school. What isn't beyond middle schoolers is that if you pour bleach on animals they die. The shirt is a poorly shoehorned attempt at a TMNT reference which has absolutely no basis in the theme.

With all of the controversy regarding ethical use of animals, there is no possibility even at the middle school level that kids are taking animals in the attempt to "do stuff to them." It's not responsible and it's not something that should be profited off of as a joke.

It's irresponsible and unethical and the fact that it would be allowed is personally insulting especially given the great lengths that everyone in science from the top down has to go through to ensure that animals are used in responsible ways.

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
Re: Bonsai for all Seasons

Bonsai for All Seasons by vonMonkey, on Flickr

Here's a slightly bigger version so you can see a bit more detail- thanks!

uniique

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uniique
sTyLeS wrote:The original rejection was "Biohazard's effects on human beings is not at a middle school level of science". And since it wasn't changed at all why would the rules all of a sudden have changed?
Plus the rules state: "Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment."

I know I'm probably coming across as a crotchety old man, but it does bother me a bit that there are some who follow the rules and there are those who sidestep them without any repercussions.
I'm really not crotchety, although I probably am a bit older than many on here.

God knows, I make every attempt to follow the derby theme to the letter, to avoid the rejectinator. In this case, it's very difficult for me to see how it's off topic. We have characters at a Science Fair. The name of the derby is "Science Fair". I don't know how much more on target I could get. *shrug* That's how I look at it. But as far as woot's saving grace goes, the reasoning was along the lines of: if a middle schooler approached a experiment with an unsophisticated childlike mindset, then you're in compliance. That's woot speaking. There ya go. Now I'm going outside to smell flowers or something.

godlover1133

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godlover1133
capedcrusader514 wrote:Am i crazy or are there only 3 colors in the light spectrum?

Actually there are only 6 colors in the spectrum. Like little Pluto, Indigo has been ruled out as a color, and no longer exists in the spectrum.

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
sTyLeS wrote:And fortunately the rules were not written specifically about your school where they apparently promote the mutilation of pets.

None of the schools I went to allowed any live animals to be used in science fair projects.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)

Very nice Jasneko. You've summed up a fairly layered concept effectively in your usual economic style. +1

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: fresh!

voted goog luck! I love it!

walmazan

Re: Sky in a Jar

So wearable design! you do an amazing work! +1

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
sTyLeS wrote:Yeah, on the submission page on the left side it states: "Your Design Detail & Shirt Comp images must show halftones." That means no gradients.
The Dino shirt did submit gradients, but then he removed it, converted to halftones, and resubmitted.

M'kay,
Thanks, I'm usually more diligent about rules. I'll try again, l8r.

brUno

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Just Add Love
Spiritgreen wrote:I think you chose the right one. This layout has style, jas'.

Cool. :^)

Thanks Spiritgreen! I actually made yet another layout though;)

parrotworks wrote:Nice work. See private messages.

Thanks again!

pandaeskimo wrote:Nice idea and well executed layout and details.

Thanks pandaeskimo!

sTyLeS wrote:Hey, jas, thanks for being on topic. Not a lot of shirts are this week, imo. But yours definitely is. So thanks for keeping it real.

You're welcome;) I appreciate the notice.

grrlmarvel wrote:I saw this experiment when searching around and thought it would be great to illustrate but you took it to another level with how you laid it out with the levels. Nicely done and kudos for staying on topic. This one was a bit tough this week.

Thanks grrlmarvel! This was definitely a tough theme and with this idea I struggled with making a tee-friendly, readable layout. I'm happy that so many people like it!

Fyi to all that voted, I did submit yet another version, so please check that out and vote for it as well if you dig it

Another version:

Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)

Vote!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: batz haz sonarz!!!

Great how you've cranked the vivid settings up on the visuals and idea here. Rich color's and a really engaging style megsck. GMV

Fritzcario

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fritzcario

Regardless of whether this fits the category or not, it's still just another bland, cutesy ramyb entry that will most likely get much more votes than it deserves.

blinddog3d

Re: LEGO PAIN EXPERIMENT!

why is the fire on the match white when you are uusing great colors for it. It would be like "opposite Balance?"

Anyhoo, love it! Awesome!
brUno

blinddog3d

blinddog3d wrote:why is the fire on the match white when you are uusing great colors for it. It would be like "opposite Balance?"

Anyhoo, love it! Awesome!
brUno

...or a yellow tack and a red leggo.

blinddog3d

Blog Gremlins....

walmazan

Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar

love it love it love it!

+1

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
godlover1133 wrote:Actually there are only 6 colors in the spectrum. Like little Pluto, Indigo has been ruled out as a color, and no longer exists in the spectrum.

Ha Ha! That is just what I was thinking! Damn scientists...I wish they would leave our stuff alone.

Harmony Joy Wallender

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: LEGO PAIN EXPERIMENT!

i liked this in the pre derby thread, the idea is funny, and definitely true. now that you added the guys in different colors, i think i like them more than the feet. either way i would choose one other the other, to me it seems to crowded right now, and i think simple is better for this one. great idea though, you got my vote for my nephews! =)

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
Fritzcario wrote:Regardless of whether this fits the category or not, it's still just another bland, cutesy ramyb entry that will most likely get much more votes than it deserves.

I think that goes without saying.

I see the point that a child may try to mutate turtles using bleach, and see it as scientific. However, only a developmentally deficient middle schooler would actually see this as reasonable. A six year old might, but not an 11 year old.

I have to agree that this derby is generally disappointing so far, but that doesn't excuse this entry either. You can dress it up as "a child's view of science" all you want, it's still just a Sirius GPP TMNT reference.

anidi79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anidi79
neithersparky wrote:few people like tarantulas. :c

I know! Tarantulas are a big part of my life. I've been a keeper for over 10 years. I'm glad you share the love!!

aswati

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aswati
Re: Punnett's Misstep

+1 for Prof. Punnett!

{{volmod edit: Advertising for your derby entry belongs in your signature, NOT in your comments. I have put your entry in your signature for you right now. To edit your signature and/or see what I did, please click on "my account," found at the top of the screen under your username. Thank you.}}

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy
VonMonkey wrote:
Bonsai for All Seasons by vonMonkey, on Flickr

Here's a slightly bigger version so you can see a bit more detail- thanks!

I love this!

Harmony Joy Wallender

mist83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mist83
Esoteric1081 wrote:The light spectrum has 7 colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

There are however 3 primary colors: Red, Green, Blue

Hah, I think you've been hanging around a computer too long. The 3 primary colors are red, yellow and blue.

gryphoncreation

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gryphoncreation
capedcrusader514 wrote:Am i crazy or are there only 3 colors in the light spectrum?

in additive light you can use 3 colors -red, green, blue (which is what computers and tv's use. subtractive light(CMYK) is a bit different, however if you are breaking light through a prism, you will get 7 main color -red-orange-yesllow-green-bue-indigo-violet, not to mention the variety of colors in between.

Muppethero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Muppethero
Re: The RYB color model

I'm not sure I get it... 8 (

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen

For science!

Upward, brave mint. Ascend to greatness. :^)

Muppethero

neeznoodle wrote:Harsh!

(Yes, she lost...)

What weird carrots do you eat? 8 ) (wink)

Muppethero

Re: The Science of Splatter

sad this was rejected

WanderingRaccoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WanderingRaccoon
Re: The RYB color model

Ugh. too many cookies.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar

Love the colors you used here, really smart! And the cute, cool style is delightful.

:^)

spazzysoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzysoph
Re: Black Hole Mobile

not to be a spoil-sport but hasn't this been done before?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/The_Black_Holem41Detail.png

drmaxdog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drmaxdog

When I first saw this, I thought it was the top climbing back to its rightful place on the bottle, maybe if there had been an open sleeve of the candies in front of the bottle it would be better.

Just a lowly woot fan's opinion. .

dsgnGrl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dsgnGrl
Re: Stages of a Butterfly

Dual entry by me and greystone9.

Details:

spazzysoph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spazzysoph
Muppethero wrote:I'm not sure I get it... 8 (

well... its a bird in a blender. this shirt is really quite morbid actually.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

The shell is so neat-looking - it almost looks like a psychadelic city/landscape in itself. The balloons also look 3-D and extremely appealing - your halftone work is so impressive. Nicely done Spiritgreen!

Vote!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Eeee! My Science Fair Experiment.

glad you resubbed and got your reprieve! keep the votes comin'!!!

oftcrash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oftcrash

I think you've all been watching Sulu on Sharp TV commercials pimping out yellow pixel technology too long.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: The effect of music on plantlife

hahahaha, you know what these reminded me of, do you remember those plants that danced and played music? i used to have one and i loved it. really like this drawing, different from your usual and i approve. =)