megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
ChicagoJayhawk wrote:What is it with Ramyb and turtles?!

Sigh.

It is his way of coping with chelonaphobia lol

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: The Little Inventor

this is a lovely illustration, really nice flow, your eye is constantly moving around to see all the little gems but always go back to the kid. love it!

megsck

Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

oh no the balloons are loosing helium! quickly, fill them with votes and get back into the fog!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Spectrum

I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did. I wanted to make an interesting design, so I thought it would be cool to combine it with the idea of different colors of light affecting plant growth. This design was the outcome, hope you enjoy

megsck

DianaSprinkle wrote:We've had several "no video game" derbies with TMNT shirts surviving until the end in the fog without rejections. Arguing whether or not 21 games matter more than the comic that started it and continued to be made for 15 years... (how many issues is that? Looks like 129 issues) seems a bit silly. You could make the argument that without the comic all the rest of the media wouldn't exist but like I said it just gets a bit silly. Just tattle it.

also, if you went by the fact that something had a video game made out of it at some point, a lot of things would be off limits since they seem to make a video game about anything these days...

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: 18XX SCIENCE FAIRE SHOWDOWN

Go Drakxxx!

+1

megsck

Patman1209 wrote:Second... would your average kid even know what TMNT is at this point... being in my late-20s I"m not "hip" to the "kids"... but as far as I'm aware its been awhile since any TMNT stuff has been on tv/movies/cereal/etc.

i am a huge fan of TMNT so to me i always appreciate a reference, but i have a 4 year old nephew that LOVES THEM. Thy still have tons of merchandising for them, they still show the cartoon on tv, they just had a movie out not too long ago, they still have video games, and Nickelodeon is actually making a new TMNT cartoon at this very moment. not to mention TMNT references seem to do well here. with all that i say that they are doing just fine.

bfz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfz
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I immediately thought Little Shop of Horrors. Mario didn't even cross my mind until somebody else mentioned it and I really don't think this plant looks like the one in Mario. Very original and creative design, kevlar. gmv!

Honestly my first thought was simply "venus fly trap". Considering it doesn't even resemble the Mario ones it didn't even cross my mind. (Which is odd since the kids were just playing Mario yesterday...)

I like the design, and its a nice change of pace from your usual stuff kevlar. Good use of the green shirt here as well.

Good luck on this one and it gets my vote!

megsck

Re: Highpothesis Tested

i almost missed this one and im glad i found it because this is awesome. i love the placement on the shirt and that smoke is pretty sweet. very cute and very wearable. nice job! =)

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
DianaSprinkle wrote:This is really pretty! I'm a little concerned about the detail getting lost in printing but this is really nice.

Thanks Diana! I don't think detail should be a problem- I've had a lot of shirts printed with this level of detailed linework in the past without problems, and woot is generally excellent at the screenprinting process- though I think there are too many other great designs for this to stand a chance anyway, so I don't think we need to worry!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Prismatic Rose

This is very pretty! I like that you incorporated the colors of the liquid into the rose. Awesome job! +1

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
Re: The Color Solution

Lovely! You are on fire this week (not literally, I hope)- I think this is my favourite, the others are hilarious but this one's really wearable

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
Re: Anime Generator

I love his expression.

Nothing follows.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: Spectrum

Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????

mikenytola

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
mrwednesday wrote:It's irresponsible and unethical and the fact that it would be allowed is personally insulting especially given the great lengths that everyone in science from the top down has to go through to ensure that animals are used in responsible ways.

If only this statement was true. The human race can't even get past barbaric murder of animals for fashion (see Donna Karen/DKNY Bunny Butcher), let alone science. I'll stop here as that's way to big of an argument to start here.

jessieboomboom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessieboomboom

Hey four eyes! Your shoes untied.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
studio1172 wrote:This is really nice. I would put up something that shows the halftones you are using in fear of a rejection for being to small of dot.

I think I'd fear the "this is not even remotely close to on theme" rejection more than the halftone thing.

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????

Deja vu lol

Or is it 'The Dark Side of the Moon' time again? lol

katrinabean86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katrinabean86
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51950]Young Bell

This is beautifully done. +1

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Worst. Science project. Ever

Trying to pass off your sea monkeys as a science project isn't going to get you anything but an "F" in this science fair.

Johndis5

midgerock wrote:when creating a design for the contest I as other artists want to create something that has a broader appeal. something they can relate to. The idea for mine is well known so a lot people can relate to it. Is that a bad thing? no. I can understand if you don't like the mentos and diet coke science project but a middle schooler would do such a project. Just trying to find more accessable ideas for the contest. Other stuff I have done in the past have been passed over because it didn't have a wide appeal. But I don't think its wrong for an artist looking for a broader audience.

as to the hate, re-read your first comment with fresh eyes, and be honest, it comes across full of venom.

Full venom? A little snarky, maybe, but full venom? I'd say that is an over reaction.

Your most successful design was in the robot derby, and it was original, well done, and a near print. You didn't get any negative comment, just praise (well deserved I might add). If you are trying to reach a broader audience with your art, that is the obvious direction you should go.

Since your little hissy fit over not printing, you've done nothing but churn out overdone pop culture crap and existing IP. Knowing how creative you can be vs. what we see from you now, it really seems you are just going for the cheap popular gag so that you can get a print and make some money. It doesn't have to be about the art. There is a very successful designer here who obviously doesn't care about the art. It's all about the easy buck for them. If that's what you want to do, fine, go do it. But at least be honest about it. And if you are going to keep churning out lazy work in hopes of a quick buck, more power to you, but don't try and play the victim of some hate campaign against you every time you get flack for not being original. In short, man up.

juliaL719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
Re: Experimental Fail

I suppose it would be moot at this point to ask why they're so freaking shiny. Has someone been buffing these turtles dead, and then been using "detergent" as a cover-up?

WHY DO THEY SHINE?

In the words of Harry Plinkett, MAKES NO SENSE.

walmazan

ChicagoJayhawk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ChicagoJayhawk
neeznoodle wrote:I'm just looking for a bit of advice on this rejection. How is this off-topic? I can easily see a kid showing off the words he figured out how to "write" with a calculator. This is real-world realistic, and is age-appropriate, meaning this really is something kids in middle school can/would do.

As for color, I'm totally confused on this issue. Your entry form says that brown equates to Pantone 7519, which is what I used for my entry. However, I totally agree that it does not match up with the color swatch provided in the blank shirt template. When I do the eyedropper to the brown swatch, it comes up as Black 2C (which looks like the brown in the swatch). Is is possible that the pantone # found on the entry page is incorrect? (I am referring to the "What's this?" link found next to the design detail entry.)

Thank you for your input and guidance.

I can't speak to the coloring issues...but spelling on a calculator, while age appropriate, is hardly a science experiment. Just sayin'...

fishbiscuit5

Re: The Color Solution

Beautiful! :D

fishbiscuit5

walmazan wrote:haha! +1

heehee... your "sombreros" are in my thread. :D

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)

I saw a few different versions of your design, the way you put it all together here is great.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: Prismatic Rose

love this! +1

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
artbreaker wrote:I like the idea, but if Im following the image from upper left to bottom right the frog is flayed open, then its organs are being removed, then it is sitting, then hopping away... without his insides! unless of course that was intended, GL

lol, yea that was intended... I said it was weird. I made it late at night so yea.

Also to the other comments, I totally agree about the placement and balance. I'm gonna just simplify it to one froggy again, but the same colors. It just got too complex because I was over-thinking it.
Thanks for the help!

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: You are here

I love your style Naolito; you consistently produce great stuff!

slowjam

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
Re: Sky in a Jar

Freakin gorgeous, Boots. Please please please print.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

Love the colors! Been a while since I've seen a nice red shirt. I also think that the frogs are still pretty animal-like and as for the text, it's not a text-centric design IMO because if you remove the text, it would still work and you'd still know what was going on.

GMV!

Johndis5

Re: The Blue Ribbon Formula... At Last!

The layout doesn't quite click for me, but putting the beaker in front of a face is a risky move, and I imagine hard to pull off. I really like the attention to detail though, the zit on his cheek was a nice touch of subtle humor and detail. All in all, it needs some tweaking, but nicely done!

thewronggrape

Re: The RYB color model

While I do understand why people think this is disturbing or cruel, I can also see this as a scene in a network family sitcom. She's your innocent, no malice-meant but dumb kid trying to show off her experiment to her parent. Of course, the very next scene is the parent stopping her from using the blender, opening the jar for the "blue" bird and making some primetime-friendly joke like "Okay, maybe science isn't your thing. How about music? I don't think you can do any more harm there than Britney's already done." *audience laughs on cue*

/not a comedy writer
/I actually kinda like Britney

thewronggrape

megsck wrote:i liked this in the pre derby thread, the idea is funny, and definitely true. now that you added the guys in different colors, i think i like them more than the feet. either way i would choose one other the other, to me it seems to crowded right now, and i think simple is better for this one. great idea though, you got my vote for my nephews! =)

I completely agree. I like it better without the guy. It took me a second to figure out what he was suppose to be; I thought it was a caveman at first.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the different colors for the pain meter bars confused me. I thought the second one meant 4 out of 6 because the white bars seem "lit" to me while the beige ones don't. It threw off my understanding of the third pain meter for a second there.

walmazan

thewronggrape wrote:While I do understand why people think this is disturbing or cruel, I can also see this as a scene in a network family sitcom. She's your innocent, no malice-meant but dumb kid trying to show off her experiment to her parent. Of course, the very next scene is the parent stopping her from using the blender, opening the jar for the "blue" bird and making some primetime-friendly joke like "Okay, maybe science isn't your thing. How about music? I don't think you can do any more harm there than Britney's already done." *audience laughs on cue*

/not a comedy writer
/I actually kinda like Britney

^ hahaha! I like it! Thanks!

jzlosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jzlosman
DianaSprinkle wrote:
Arguing whether or not 21 games matter more than the comic that started it and continued to be made for 15 years... (how many issues is that? Looks like 129 issues) seems a bit silly. You could make the argument that without the comic all the rest of the media wouldn't exist but like I said it just gets a bit silly. Just tattle it.

You quoted my post but I don't recall it saying the video games were more important than the comic. I seem to be lost on the idea that it can only be considered one or the other. Is it a movie? Yes. Is it a comic book? Yes. Is it a video game? Yes. Was it a cereal? Yes. Is it a cartoon series? Yes. Was it a short-lived rock band with an album titled "Coming Out Of Their Shells"? Yes.

My post was pointing out that it was more than just a comic and it was very much a video game. I think you can do more than just "make the argument that without the comic all the rest of the media wouldn't exist." That is the truth as that was the source - again not the point being argued though but thanks for your input.

*25 years not 15 - a very slow release schedule.

bmiller10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmiller10
Re: Experimental Fail

I'm really not a Ramy hater... My Carbon Atom shirt is one of my favorite shirts from this site.

But this is just ugly and borderline uncomfortable I'm afraid...

I respectably don't understand why this is fogged. There are so many other ways this could have gone, and we go for dead turtles? =/

thewronggrape

Re: Sky in a Jar

Gorgeous. If I saw this shirt, I would think "sky in a jar" which would immediately bring to mind the science experiment. I agree with skirochester, you made a very wearable shirt that beautifully fulfills this week's tough derby theme.

silverdragontyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverdragontyr

Wow. I try to never get into the Ramyb flame war and have been surprised in the past at comments on both sides but this particular topic... wow this has to be a new low record on Woot of all the mud slinging and hateful comments. I have to admit I am a bit surprised this hasn't been rejected again for various reasons already stated and that there was very little changed on the resubmission without really confronting the original problem. I can just say if this wins I won't be buying this shirt.