mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Science Class

Yeah, it's a stunning image, but I really don't see the theme.

omninull

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omninull
blinddog3d wrote:Looks like they had to use "text" to label it, so without the label, it's nuclear waste (obviously Middle-school mutant ninja turtles) Besides, IT'S A VIDEO GAME!

IT'S A VIDEO GAME, IT A VIDEO GAME!

It was a cartoon long before it was a video game.

divyamistry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages divyamistry
Re: Perfect Chocolate Milk

I like it that the kid is somewhere between TMNT and Human... 3 fingers and a thumb! Indeed sir, indeed!

joshketchen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshketchen
gocyn wrote:Ahh!!! This shirt is so freaking cute. Love it. I really hope I'll be able to buy this one.

Thank you so much! I hope it gets printed too. I hope I get enough votes!

[MOD:

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Re: The RYB color model

I'm glad to see the frog's faces your other design weren't too people like for the rejectionator, but I really wanted to see this one print. The braces matching the colors of the birds (well, they will match by the end of the experiment.) really bring it together. It's little details like that, that really take a design from "pretty good" to "rock solid".

walmazan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages walmazan
Re: The Color Solution

Thanks guys for all the support so far!

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
ramyb wrote:I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did.

Well it is such a pity that you didn't learn that light passes through a prism - it does not stop or start on the edges.
sorry to be pedantic - Isaac Newton got the right idea lol

pure5152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pure5152
Re: Green Symphony

so many great entries this weak! cute design, definitely something I could wear +1

urjewishgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urjewishgirl

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Highpothesis Tested

Thanks for the encouraging feedback walmazan, bassanimation, megsck,awcoburn and Spiritgreen. I paid special attention to composition after Travis' recent post, Design Tips: Laying It Down.
Just realised I've now been on shirt.woot for a year now, so it's great to have a lot of my favourite designers drop in to celebrate my 1st Wootday.

Februaryxvi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Februaryxvi
palookaboy wrote:
How can anybody in good conscience vote for and wear a shirt that is essentially making a JOKE out of poisoning animals?

Well the first thing I did was develop a sense of humor.

Then I noted that it was a DRAWING

Then I watched 7 1/2 minutes of national news and came to the realization that there are literally thousands of things going on in this world worse than a drawing of dead animals.

Februaryxvi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Februaryxvi
sanmarin0 wrote:This is the common experiment that tests the probability of getting a head or tail when flipping a coin, but we're using a cat.

One more gargleblaster! That stick figure is flipping a cat!!! My day/week/world are ruined. I hate humanity now!

cry.

palookaboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palookaboy
Februaryxvi wrote:Well the first thing I did was develop a sense of humor.

Then I watched 7 1/2 minutes of national news and came to the realization that there are literally thousands of things going on in this world worse than a drawing of dead animals.

There's a difference between a funny joke and a tasteless joke, and someone with a good sense of humor can recognize the difference. Tasteless jokes can still be funny, but they have a place that is, in my opinion, not in this site's derby competition.

Of course there's worse things going on in the world than this design. But that's not what this thread is for. This thread is to comment on the t-shirt design, so belittling the debate itself is pointless.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: How I know my cat is evil by Billy Pugsmith III

In the spirit of a child submitting a science project for the middle school science fair this is a diagram from the science fair project produced by a middle school child whose project was on proving his cat is evil.

open to feedback good or bad. Will have link to detail jpeg up later. Thanks for the support.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
Re: How I know my cat is evil by Billy Pugsmith III

I really like that paper background! Great job, Midge.

killmak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killmak

I love it!

shellsandoval

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellsandoval
divyamistry wrote:I like it that the kid is somewhere between TMNT and Human... 3 fingers and a thumb! Indeed sir, indeed!

Thanks! I was going for the typical cartoon style. The complexities of having only 4 digits allows for increased dexterity and minimizes any accidental bird flipping.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck

haha

distolin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages distolin

I think this shirt is fine, I like it, and it received my vote. And I really don't know why there is so much arguing and negativity in this thread: if you don't like ramyb and his designs, I suggest you just comment elsewhere instead of putting him down.

malora

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malora

Ha ha--thank you, February, for that dose of sanity and perspective.

All this lengthy analysis of a joke shirt is coming across as silly.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????

The style does seem to be very VERY fractal tree-esque. I don't mind him recycling his own design. that is something artist do, but if that style was intentional stolen from the fractal tree (which it seems that way), then I have a HUGE issue with that.

This seems like sadface to me... no respect.

Edit: I went back to the fractal tree and its not as close as I remember. It still is very similar in style, but not a complete rip off of the other artist. Still doesn't make it okay if it was intentional act.

midgerock

Re: The Color Solution

that's pretty amazing how you got all those colors with the halftones. Shows how much a pro you are. Looks great on the shirt and very wearable! gmv

thewayisshut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewayisshut
Februaryxvi wrote:Ask a question:
Will turtles mutate and fight crime if exposed to a toxic substance?

Research:
Watched 16 hours of TMNT

Hypothesis:
Cartoons have never let me down before. Yes turtles will mutate.

Test Hypothesis:
Pour Toxins on turtles. Wait.

Analyze data:
Turtles have not grown, nor begun talking. Seem to be oblivious to ninja weapon supplied.

Results:
Turtles have died.

First place ribbon please!

This is completely IMO, but for this derby I would personally like to see entries based on REAL science fair projects. I mean, come on... how many shirts do we have that ape some cartoon or pop culture reference? For that matter... how many damn TMNT shirts do we have? Come on people, surely you don't want to buy the same shirt over and over again!

...also, Woot rejected this in the first place because it had to do with mutation, which is not (according to them) middle school science fair material. Just because you make the chemical "bleach" instead of "mystery toxic waste" doesn't change the focus of the project from mutation....

Patricck

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Patricck
ramyb wrote:I am also a little bit offended as a scientist that anyone would think this is a higher level experiment.

Wait, you're a scientist? You draw cartoon turtles, squirrels, and penguins. Please do explain.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
chumpmagic wrote:The style does seem to be very VERY fractal tree-esque. I don't mind him recycling his own design. that is something artist do, but if that style was intentional stolen from the fractal tree (which it seems that way), then I have a HUGE issue with that.

This seems like sadface to me... no respect.

Edit: I went back to the fractal tree and its not as close as I remember. It still is very similar in style, but not a complete rip off of the other artist. Still doesn't make it okay if it was intentional act.

The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.

PSORngr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PSORngr

Awesome shirt.
I haven't bought anything off of woot in ages. Heck, I haven't even signed in to woot in ages.
I had to log in to vote for this shirt. I hope it gets back in the fog (got bumped out in the past 2 minutes).

fiddlefishgal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiddlefishgal

Amazing. Love the tri-fold in the background! I don't see any cruelty to animals - the little birdie's not blended yet.

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
Patricck wrote:Wait, you're a scientist? You draw cartoon turtles, squirrels, and penguins. Please do explain.

He also saves the world.

cahayes2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cahayes2
Patricck wrote:Wait, you're a scientist? You draw cartoon turtles, squirrels, and penguins. Please do explain.

I second that.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: Punnett's Misstep

I love how this one turned out. Had my eye on it in the pre-derby thread, glad you went with it. Awesome.

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: Glass bottle vacuum

Ha, that's clever - classic experiment!

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
thedeejman wrote:This is my second derby entry. The concept is that a child drew the chest cavity on the shirt which is why all of the colors are outside of the lines and whatnot. Hopefully you enjoy it!

total crappola, I mean crayola. It does look like a child did it. I would look Javatarded if I wore this.

I could be blind?
BlindDog3D

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
Re: 18XX SCIENCE FAIRE SHOWDOWN

Nicely done but not middle school fare!
No go!

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
neeznoodle wrote:I'm just looking for a bit of advice on this rejection. How is this off-topic? I can easily see a kid showing off the words he figured out how to "write" with a calculator. This is real-world realistic, and is age-appropriate, meaning this really is something kids in middle school can/would do.

As for color, I'm totally confused on this issue. Your entry form says that brown equates to Pantone 7519, which is what I used for my entry. However, I totally agree that it does not match up with the color swatch provided in the blank shirt template. When I do the eyedropper to the brown swatch, it comes up as Black 2C (which looks like the brown in the swatch). Is is possible that the pantone # found on the entry page is incorrect? (I am referring to the "What's this?" link found next to the design detail entry.)

Thank you for your input and guidance.

While not specifically mentioned by anyone else who has replied (though I suspect it's what goldenthorn was alluding to by linking to the rules), this clearly violates the "incidental text only" rule for this derby. Does your design make sense without text? No? Then it's not incidental.

be10der2me

Re: A Boy and his Hamsters!!

Nice and green too...even though it's on blue!lol
GMV

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: fresh!

Just dropping a note to think about for future designs. I like the concept(and I work in a science Center that has a huge education outreach component, including judging science fairs and running camps with experiments... kids love diet Coke & Mentos!). But I digress.
I'm not a fan of tall, relatively skinning designs running straight up the middle of the shirt. Having a rod going up the center of the your shirt often looks kind of funny, and makes people look fat (^_^). To be clear, this wasn't a deal-breaker for me here (I actually can't wear that shirt color, anyway) - it's not the worst case of center-tall-narrow-design, and I honestly don't know how you'd make this design so that it *wasn't* tall and narrow, unless maybe there was surrounding horizontal stuff (like maybe a table, but then you'd have a low horizontal, which would also be weird)
Anyway, point is that this isn't meant to be a super criticism for this particular design, just thought I'd mention in case you wanted to keep it in mind for future designs. I've seen others make similar comments on other long, skinny center shirts, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it!

be10der2me

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51950]Young Bell

Why has this not fogged yet?
GMV!

citizencoyote

Re: (Science) - (Fiction) =

Somehow the fact the "monster" has no neck really sells this for me. Nice job. Patrick smash!

citizencoyote

Re: Bonsai for all Seasons

I love the detail and subtle poignancy of this shirt.

midgerock

Johndis5 wrote:I am aware that your robot design contained zombies, and instead of just doing a zombie shirt, you did something creative and original that included zombies. Something that I haven't seen done in..., well maybe ever. That is an accomplishment, and deserves artistic and creative praise.

Cola + mentos
Marvel super heroes
d20
office space
ect...ect...ect...

Were all just pop culture and existing IP slapped on a shirt with no real creativity or originality. They were just there, for the sake of people going "I like D&D! This shirt rocks!" or "Hey, Office space was funny! This shirt rocks!" All you are doing here is essentially copying and pasting other people's ideas and trying to get a large enough target audience to earn you a grand. All I am saying is, it's obvious you are capable of doing some really cool stuff, and it's frustrating to see talented people just trying to go the cheap route. But like I said, if that's your game, go and play it, just don't act indignant when you are called out on it.

I would love to have a pissing match with you, but I pee sitting down, like any high horse riding gentleman would.

I know the 2 of you are passionate about the designs here at woot. I appreciate that you care enough to post and share how you feel. If you had initially posted:

"Hey, Midge, I like your work and you have a lot of potential but I really don't like when you use pop culture references and really dig when you go out on your own and create something different."

If you came to me like that, you might have received a better reception from me and maybe a number of artists that sub here that would receive that message.

Also let me be clear when it comes to pop culture elements when I use them... I use them because I dig them... the source of the reference. office space, d20, marvel comics, zombies, etc... I dig these things. So I use them because I'm a fan and know others are fans. If you look at the whole catalog of designs I've subbed here you'll see the majority is not pop. But there will be times when I will use them because I want to make an interesting shirt. You might not like them but there are others that do.

Also, when designing for the derby many of us artists don't just design for the derby. We design in a way that if the design doesn't win here, where else can I possibly pitch this design. The majority of sites that do take submissions take those which are pop culture. Places like teefury and ript dig these types of designs. More geek oriented designs might fly more @ jinx and similar sites. So after a derby my design although may not have worked here can see a second life and potentially earn some money which right now with being the only bread winner in my family after my wife has lost her job means a lot.

I understand that you want to encourage me. I appreciate that. I am trying my best each week just like every other artist to win. I use what I have at my disposal and try to come up with which I think are clever or funny designs which I would and I hope others want to wear. If this design is not to your liking, check out the others I subbed this week. I normally sub 2-3 designs each week. Last week I subbed 4. One caught many votes while the others did okay. The one, although you may say it was weak, I felt was a very wearable design, which others felt the same. Was it the most original on the planet? Art wise being my own... yes. Conceptually fitting for the derby theme? yes. Was the concept mindblowing or genius? No. It was easy but there were no other shirts with that slogan out there and with my art I felt was a solid design. You may not agree but I stand by it.

So please feel free to continue to support my designs and those of others. If you don't like a design provide some helpful feedback. Each week I ask for that and normally don't get any, but just blasting the design doesn't help me or others in their development. If you don't like how I drew something or think something could have been communicated better, share that. But if the design's not your cup tee because of the content or you wouldn't wear it, don't vote. If you feel the need to share your disdain for a design, can you do it in manner that may reach me? There's a lot of truth to catching more flies with honey than vinegar. I am all for feedback. Honest feedback and critique but when giving it to someone trying to develop their craft many of the artists here would agree provide something helpful to make it better. If your only helpful comment is don't design this or remove it immediately presented with all the snarkiness one can muster, then it doesn't really help. And when I do post designs which are to your liking, can you hook a brutha up? I mean seriously! Let me know. Poor all that energy you have for biting comments into something more supportive, encouraging the stuff you want. And this goes for all voters. I can speak for a number of artistshere, we would love to hear from you.