citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
ciaranannrach wrote:Where's the actual experiment? This looks more like something someone would do for a science class project, not for a science fair.

There are a lot of entries in this derby that don't quite have the "experiment" feel but rather hearken back to elementary school "science fairs." And yeah, there are a lot of "Pluto isn't a planet" shirts floating out there, but something about the cut, sad, and lonely ball on the floor just appeals to me more than the myriad other Pluto shirts floating about the web.

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: It's Alive!

Ah, yes. A logical child's science project in Tim Burton's crazy* mind: Frankenweenie

*meant in the most admiring of ways.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote:The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.

I did go back and review the fractal tree. It was far more different than I remember. I will admit that.

I think the thing that made the immediate connection was the floating stroke, the outline around the entire piece. The fact that its a stylized, swirly tree with a transition of colors, does have some influence, but adding the floating outline is what made it seem too close for comfort for me.... if that makes sense.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Greetings Derby Goers. I think your points have been made and responded to. Please move off this topic and let's get back to the art of discussing the art.

Thank you!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

hobbesthetiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobbesthetiger
Re: Ant Science Fair

That ant obviously writes with a speech impediment, yes it was purposeful.

weasel87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weasel87
Re: Experiments in Fusion

Johnny was determined to win his 6th grade science fair. So he set out with a tube of super glue and aimed to turn the world of fruit upside down.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH
thewronggrape wrote:While I do understand why people think this is disturbing or cruel, I can also see this as a scene in a network family sitcom. She's your innocent, no malice-meant but dumb kid trying to show off her experiment to her parent. Of course, the very next scene is the parent stopping her from using the blender, opening the jar for the "blue" bird and making some primetime-friendly joke like "Okay, maybe science isn't your thing. How about music? I don't think you can do any more harm there than Britney's already done." *audience laughs on cue*

/not a comedy writer
/I actually kinda like Britney

LOL!!!!

lovepuff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovepuff
Re: The RYB color model

Why is everyone upset about the bird in the blender, but nobody upset about the bird that's suffocating to death?

First of all, being blended would be an almost instantaneous death, whereas suffocation is much more painful.

Second of all, the blending has yet to happen. The suffocating bird IS ALREADY BEING SUFFOCATED!

That having been said, this is an absolutely awesome shirt. I wouldn't personally wear it, but it deserves to be in the fog, and maybe even win!

lovepuff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lovepuff
fiddlefishgal wrote:Amazing. Love the tri-fold in the background! I don't see any cruelty to animals - the little birdie's not blended yet.

The bird that's turned blue from being suffocated is an example of cruelty to animals in my opinion. (Fictional animals, mind you.)

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: In Harmony

Wave harmonics, most often used with music in science fair settings. I included the simplest equation for wavelength, I'm guessing most middle schoolers don't do much with sin/cos/etc. Inspired by this project.

Would love feedback, this took me ridiculously longer than it should have. I went through several variations that were more complex and had different elements, but I kept coming back to the simple version...

6 colors on Navy.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: How I know my cat is evil by Billy Pugsmith III

WOW! nice paper background! and great work like always!

EchoSeven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EchoSeven
Re: Boron is the Fifth

Super Green.

amreli

It's hard to see some of the halftones in the comp, here's a larger version. The third and fifth harmonics have halftones.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Worst. Science project. Ever

I did a google, before this derby, on "Sea Monkeys." Mainly to copy the 50's style art for my cartoon (which, i nailed. Smudgewarpin gradients. I just learned to use them so I was "showin' off!)

I thought, there is no way on Pluto that-that woot would happen, here, unless I changed my tag to Rammy (but I like being a dog). I went to their actual website and the term, "Sea Monkeys" is a Registered Trademark. The "Concentration" (a TV Gameshow before your time) word-puzzle presentation is absolute ingenuity. I'm so jealous all I can sea id green monkeys.

I hope this prints because it transends the Science Fair, yet epitomizes it. Ihis is minimalist gold! No .....Paladium!

Kudos, mon amee! Le perfect subtrefuge ala mode. I hope you win! I give you all 4 of my VOTES! hehehee.
BlindDog brUno

jokasteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokasteve

this is awesome!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Reawen wrote:Just dropping a note to think about for future designs. I like the concept(and I work in a science Center that has a huge education outreach component, including judging science fairs and running camps with experiments... kids love diet Coke & Mentos!). But I digress.
I'm not a fan of tall, relatively skinning designs running straight up the middle of the shirt. Having a rod going up the center of the your shirt often looks kind of funny, and makes people look fat (^_^). To be clear, this wasn't a deal-breaker for me here (I actually can't wear that shirt color, anyway) - it's not the worst case of center-tall-narrow-design, and I honestly don't know how you'd make this design so that it *wasn't* tall and narrow, unless maybe there was surrounding horizontal stuff (like maybe a table, but then you'd have a low horizontal, which would also be weird)
Anyway, point is that this isn't meant to be a super criticism for this particular design, just thought I'd mention in case you wanted to keep it in mind for future designs. I've seen others make similar comments on other long, skinny center shirts, so I don't think I'm alone in thinking it!

Thank you Reawan. I appreciate that feedback. also thank you for how you presented it. It didn't know that as an issue and defnitely will be logging that in for futre designs. Thanks for taking the time to share.

amreli

Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)

I definitely think this is best version, much better than the others. +1

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Minor Modifications

Now I know why people love and hate you. This is simply put genius. You have a deft hand and a crafty brain.

I bet you like to play games, and probably really well. Risk, Chess, D&D, Tomb Raider... any of those hit? Oh, really? Hand-eye, I would've guessed that.

I'm brUno, the Blind Dog. I work mostly 3D, but I'm an old-school artist/cartoonist. I've done editorial and charicatures. I like telling stories with pictuers but I have a tendency to "show off" and over work/think stuff.

The quality I admire most in an artist is restraint. Restraint with the power to kill. It's like the old sensei that looks at you and you don't even consider making a move on him. Be cause you have no idea what he knows or what he'll do. I admire a man that learn his game and uses every strand to their advantage. This is what makes "Go" and Wooting so much FUN!

The TNMT was genius. Not the image, the entry. It's a distraction. You're good, really good. I've already figured out whot the "Dirty Dozen" are... and who the "Trinity" is and who all the other angels that are in Heather-Grey land.

I will get to know you. I will win one of these, ...soon, (I gotta get my swing adjusted for competition) within six months, and I will converse with you, then, as a peer. I will admire and challenge you till then.

On-e gai-simashu, Ha-jime no Dong-Ki Kon-GO!
(Thank you in advance, Please, but it's "On like Donkey Kong!")
BlindDog3D
brUno O'shoogar

This is out-of-this-world-class stuff, here. I have bumped your count with my vote, not that you would need it.

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer
ramyb wrote:The technique I used is very similar to the one I used in these two designs (which came long before fractal tree):
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=34933
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=30520

I don't really see a very strong similarity to fractal tree, any moreso than any other swirly designs.

Don't forget this one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49460

amreli

Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar

Cute! I think I like couch-CATerpillar the best.

Coffeesloth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Coffeesloth

Nice design!

chumpmagic

Re: The Little Inventor

Way too cool. I wouldn't mind if this one just rocketed to the top I'd rock this!

chumpmagic

sTyLeS wrote:

Wasn't this already done in the other science derby not too long ago too (at least similar idea)? I don't know if any of those design printed though.

amreli

Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

Cute! My nephew (who just turned 5) did a science fair thing a couple weeks ago about how many paperclips something weighed...I can't remember what he was weighing, not a turtle, but his hypothesis was that it weighed 6 paperclips! Whatever it was weighed over 100 paperclips though.

slowjam

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
nickthedino wrote:I can't tell if some of these negative post against this entry are actually serious or just haters of ramyB. Either way, they're grasping at straws.

For example, the people arguing that an 11 year old would be smart enough to know this experiment wouldn't work. If you wanted the derby entries to realistically capture the experiments in a middle school science fair, we'd only have a bunch of entries revolving around potato catapults and posters based on the water cycle, which I'm pretty sure no one wants.

Hey... I'd wear a shirt based on the water cycle...

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

I love it: the math, science, art, and colors. In our town, we have jr. high instead of middle school, and trust me, we do have 9th graders taking trig.

rogerrogerroger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rogerrogerroger
Re: The Color Solution

awesome. i love it.

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Re: Punnett's Misstep

AUDREY II HAS RETURNED!

"Feed me, Seymour, feed me! I NEED BLOOD!"

evaunit35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evaunit35
Re: The Little Inventor

Cool. What does the kid's shirt say?

maverik1390

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverik1390
Re: Edison Plays Dirty

Love the concept and the artwork, the facial expressions are great too.

+1 (hope you make it to the fog)

treemonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treemonkey
evaunit35 wrote:Cool. What does the kid's shirt say?

I HEART NEWTON

schmitty6633

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schmitty6633
Re: The color of light

Nooooo! It's fallen out of the fog. I really love this shirt design, not too cutesy but really great looking!

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
Re: The RYB color model

First vote in quite a while. Hilarious! I wish hippies weren't such milquetoasts.

(Love to see this print elsewhere after the appropriate waiting period...shame too many nutties are afraid to laugh at a little humor.)

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: How I know my cat is evil by Billy Pugsmith III

of course it is...it's a cat

mrQuackums

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrQuackums

love the shirt, too bad its gunna get rejected

jboshaw

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jboshaw
Re: Experimental Fail

all of this arguing about being on topic or a knock off of epic begins and not one comment about the placement? even if woot printed a little higher and smaller on a woman's shirt it'd still look like a couple of boxes sitting on top of the boobs. so take your pick - boxes on top of or covering your boobs, girls!

i don't approve of any of the shirts that are geared towards animal cruelty. i've watched too many shows like criminal minds and csi, and the people that were cruel to animals as a child were always the ones that wound up as serial killers or something of the like.

agoz64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages agoz64

Very nice. I like the art style. Reminds me of Paper Mario

amreli

blk909 wrote:I love it: the math, science, art, and colors. In our town, we have jr. high instead of middle school, and trust me, we do have 9th graders taking trig.

Thanks!

Yeah, I went to a middle school and at least at that time, no 8th graders taking trig, the highest they offered was geometry (I was one of "those" students). Would have loved to put some fun standing wave equations on it, but didn't fit the average middle school level. Ha, talking about this makes me miss math/physics, which I've had very little to do with since undergrad...now how much of a geek does that make me?

dgshinkle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgshinkle

As Always pat your half tone haze looks stunning.

Edison Plays Dirty STAFF: Well, I tried. Looks like the image won't stay until you buy something. Still, please don't post your derby entry in the body of posts.

tenecwhiskey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenecwhiskey
Re: Experimenting

It took me a minute.... I love it! lol