sumosahilattack

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sumosahilattack
Re: The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar

What color shirt is this? Navy or Dark Green? I can't tell on my comp Either way it's a super funny design!

hankescu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankescu
Re: Black Hole Mobile

Love the idea but artwork is too crude

drakeji

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drakeji
Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

Poor frogs! I think it is a charming design. Well done!

alis0ntalb0t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alis0ntalb0t
gwyn779 wrote:Ok, it wasn't instantaneously obvious that this was supposed to be a prism because the angles are all wrong. Aside from all the other controversy, as a physics person, it's driving me nuts. From an artistic standpoint as well, I think it might work even better if the white light/roots were coming in from the left so that the scattered spectrum would end up vertical.

Yes, but then it wouldn't really look like a tree. It's called "artistic license."

hankescu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankescu
Re: The color of light

This isn't Science Fair-ish

thewayisshut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewayisshut
ReamusLQ wrote:
I don't understand why people feel the need to always put down ramy's work and try to nit-pick every design and insist it gets rejected. So you don't like it. Apparently lots of other people do and would be willing to buy it, and that's all shirt.woot really cares about to be honest. Ramy has found his niche and he makes designs accordingly. You can't get mad at him for sticking to his style, because EVERY woot shirt designer has a style that you can spot almost immediately.

Ramyb is successful. Success inspires jealousy. With any successful person, you're going to get people who criticize just for the sake of bring them down.

....yet, I see a lot of people who react to genuine criticism of ramyb shirts with "LEAVE RAMYB ALONE!" I don't think this is fair. Nothing is above criticism... science itself, in fact, is founded on the basis of intelligent criticism. Thus, people have a right to make either positive or negative comments about ANY artist...

Why is ramyb successful? It has nothing to do with artistic viability. Woot is NOT the market for artistic shirts... it caters to the funny and the cute sympathizers. There's nothing wrong with this, it's just the way things are.

...but, cute and cuddly is a style easily mastered. Go to any high school- there is a vast multitude of young folk who draw in that stereotypical kawaii style. It's not original, and it's very... safe. In the case of ramyb, he succeeds only because he has amassed a HUGE fanbase, and markets himself very well. That's why his shirts win and sell-the fan base buys then and dictates the outcome of all the derbies because of numbers.

Personally... I would like to buy shirts that push the artistic envelope. I really don't want to buy the same shirt over and over again. However, I am in the minority and I respect that... Even if this prints, I don't have to buy it, and I won't.

...this and the blender shirt, they re disgusting. It might be "just a cartoon..." but that's how you get people to accept horrible ideas. Through laughter...

alis0ntalb0t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alis0ntalb0t
ciaranannrach wrote:Something like this, which is obviously harmful to animals, would never fly in a middle school science fair. For one, most of the time the concept of the entry is screened by teachers, and another, parents are usually involved in some fashion. Neither would let something like this pass.

Nice design otherwise, but I agree that it's off topic and not middle-school-science-fair material.

I was allowed to equipment on fish for a science fair project in middle school so it depends on where you go.

sirmiggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirmiggs

As a middle school science teacher, I have to say that this shirt simply rocks.

And yes, we do teach the simpler version of Punnett Squares in 7th grade, but we leave the incomplete dominance, dihybrid crosses, and linked traits until high school.

One quibble I have is the lack of distinction between alleles and phenotypes, but nonetheless, this shirt has my vote!

namshub1337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages namshub1337

My only critique is that it's on grey and that's a personal dislike rather than a design flaw.

Still gave it a +1 because the art style is great.

x3xleggedxninja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages x3xleggedxninja

Ramy, you could (should) start your own website. Make more money, and you won't have to post here anymore. Yeah? Yeah?

pmccall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmccall
Re: The Amazing Primary Colors

My take on the primary colors science fair style. This took me a lot longer than I expected but I got a lot of practice with hafltones in the process...

cahayes2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cahayes2
jedipookie wrote:So already dead turtles is a no-no. But Blatant animal torture is OK. and what middle school science fair would let a student look like a clown?

The clown is a cardboard cutout.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51950]Young Bell

Thank you so much for bringing some extreme talent to this derby. Not only is it an awesome reference, that's some crazy good hatching in the background. Beautiful.

gguerrieri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gguerrieri
Re: LEGO PAIN EXPERIMENT!

this is also true with Barbie high heels, just ask my dad lol

jessierahl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jessierahl
Re: Science Class

I don't understand why it's not getting more votes. I think this is beautiful, and right on with the theme. This is probably my favorite one of the submissions. Absolutely stunning. :D

Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire. Deserve victory. Tagla vassternich.

renovatioxii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renovatioxii
nickthedino wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST. Or maybe a comic. Either way, they didn't originate in video games.

TMNT was in fact a comic book first 3 years after they also made it into a cartoon. Regardless of what format it was in first TMNT was in fact a video game, and not just one video game either. Wiki has a kist of TMNT video games and they list 21 different games all titled TMNT. The fact is that in addition to being a comic and a cartoon it is also a video and that clearly violates the first rule of the derby and thus it should have no place in this derby.

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: The Color Solution

love it amigo!! +1

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: You are here

love it mate! +1

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
megsck wrote:if he took the photo himself then its allowed.

exactly. my paper I crumbled up and scanned.

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Experimental Fail

This shirt hinges on the nostalgia factor. "Oh look!" people say, "It's a ninja turtles joke! I love ninja turtles!". Show this shirt to someone who doesn't know what the ninja turtles are (though you might be hard-pressed) and it instantly loses its meaning. In other words, the design itself can't stand alone. This is why I don't like this design and think it's a really bad example of representing a science fair entry. Obviously, it's 'on topic' (whether or not it's in bad taste, a dumb kid with negligent parents could probably manage this), but these derbies give us a theme so that we can be creative and branch out...not so we can twist and bend it into a pop-culture reference that will gain us nostalgia votes. Even so, obviously Woot is trying to give all of us a fair shake. So, thanks Woot. And no thanks on this one, Ramy.

godlover1133

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godlover1133
Oxyminoan wrote:The only shirt in this derby I would actually buy and wear. Really hope this shirt makes it to print.

I'm so sick of all the cutesy and cartoony designs that fog every single week. For once I'd love an adult-geared shirt to win.

I could not agree more. I'm mad this shirt is no longer in the fog.

hja25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hja25
Re: DIVIDE BY ZERO

check your math

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: My Sister's a Witch

"Here's my finding's Mr. Johnson. My dog, cat and dad all weigh more than my duck, so they aren't wood, and aren't witches. My little sister did weigh the same as the duck, though, so she must be a witch. It's science. Truthfully, it's what I've thought all along, anyway, sir."

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
renovatioxii wrote:TMNT was in fact a comic book first 3 years after they also made it into a cartoon. Regardless of what format it was in first TMNT was in fact a video game, and not just one video game either. Wiki has a kist of TMNT video games and they list 21 different games all titled TMNT. The fact is that in addition to being a comic and a cartoon it is also a video and that clearly violates the first rule of the derby and thus it should have no place in this derby.

There has been ONE rejection for TMNT on the "no Video Game" rule and after that people complained. So ever since then TMNT shirts have NOT been rejected for the "no video game" rule.

Please see the India derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49558
And the "Things that Start with the letter T" Derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49842
And the Oddball derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49957

All of these derbys had a "no Video Game" rule and had TMNT shirts that were not rejected. Woot seems to care about the original format for the "No Video Game" rule.

No it doesn't make sense but I guess that's how woot wants to deal with things that get TURNED into games.

Of course they could change their mind on this at any time. It's happened before. Shrug. Anyway! Let's move on to a different complaint shall we?

gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
alis0ntalb0t wrote:Yes, but then it wouldn't really look like a tree. It's called "artistic license."

I don't know, I think it could be a lot closer to accurate angles and still look like a tree.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 110 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
sumosahilattack wrote:What color shirt is this? Navy or Dark Green? I can't tell on my comp Either way it's a super funny design!

It's on Navy!!! For some reason I design a lot of shirts on Navy. I just can't quit you Navy.

Wooooo, thanks for all the votes and comments everyone. =D

renovatioxii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renovatioxii
cdrewlow wrote:"Here's my finding's Mr. Johnson. My dog, cat and dad all weigh more than my duck, so they aren't wood, and aren't witches. My little sister did weigh the same as the duck, though, so she must be a witch. It's science. Truthfully, it's what I've thought all along, anyway, sir."

Pure logic. I like it!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
blinddog3d wrote:
I guess this derby is "Making something cute and we'll bend the rules for you.

Or, maybe I'm Blind?
BlindDog3D

interesting that you picked this particular entry to state your opinion of the "cute" influence. imho the figures are more hideous than cute.

or perhaps you really are blind!

wpegden

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wpegden
Re: Just Add Love (Version 2)

The only way I would like this more was was if the top two bars were the same length.

i.e., music doesn't really help, but music+love? you betcha.

ncbears

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncbears
Re: Punnett's Misstep

love to order this one and see how many students actually understand the underlying theme... oh, yeah, great job again!

did I mention that that this would make a GREAT first shirt... even without bears? LOL

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
Re: The color of light

For the visual:

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

Thank you guys!

I tried this week to make a fun visual that tied into the theme, but would be amusingly incongruous by itself. You can imagine looking out of a window and seeing this guy paddling through the air.

Probably a bit too random but I appreciate everyone who gets a kick out of it. ^___^

jeagraham

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeagraham
Re: Anyone Out There? (resub)

Beautifully done! Fingers crossed for this one =D

FatMouse66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FatMouse66
jessierahl wrote:I don't understand why it's not getting more votes. I think this is beautiful, and right on with the theme. This is probably my favorite one of the submissions. Absolutely stunning. :D

Thank you very very much. I guess it has to be a little bit funny too

gwyn779

hankescu wrote:This isn't Science Fair-ish

Sure it is. Based on this experiment. And the instructions say "depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved" so I'd say this fits fairly well.

paulandstacy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulandstacy
be10der2me wrote:So your theory explored is rainbows and clouds in a glass? Are you promoting alcohol or DRUGS or both?

I thought you were a better artist than that and I still don't see the relevance to a science fair.
No go ESPECIALLY when you're designing for a MIDDLE SCHOOL science fair!
Rethink your promo and pull this entry....please.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't see the connection to a science fair here. Still can't figure out why this and a few others weren't pulled that are currently in the fog---waste of another week.

gwyn779

Re: Anyone Out There? (resub)

I like the artwork and content, but the placement/layout isn't the best, especially for someone who has any significant roundness up top (i.e. boobs). The kid is far enough to the side that he would likely not be viewed completely, plus the alien falls into the directly-under-and-therefore-possibly-in-shadow area, especially with how far to the side it is.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Spiritgreen wrote:Thank you guys!

I tried this week to make a fun visual that tied into the theme, but would be amusingly incongruous by itself. You can imagine looking out of a window and seeing this guy paddling through the air.

Probably a bit too random but I appreciate everyone who gets a kick out of it. ^___^

You need to sub this over at Threadless kids :D. Wait no don't...cause then I can't have it! ;_; Love this little turddduuulll..

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Prismatic Rose

I like this a lot, it's a nice take on the "where does the colored water go?" experiment.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
wpegden wrote:The only way I would like this more was was if the top two bars were the same length.

i.e., music doesn't really help, but music+love? you betcha.

It wouldn't be nearly as aesthetically pleasing that way.