ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

gwyn779 wrote:I like the artwork and content, but the placement/layout isn't the best, especially for someone who has any significant roundness up top (i.e. boobs). The kid is far enough to the side that he would likely not be viewed completely, plus the alien falls into the directly-under-and-therefore-possibly-in-shadow area, especially with how far to the side it is.

oh shoot, i have like.. no boobs so I forget to think about that. If I make it smaller, that should solve it.
Ill play around with the size and see if i can do that without making the figures too small.

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

I just dont get how alot of these designs are not getting rejected. "Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment" i mean really if i kid had a tank full of dead turtles due to toxic goo or soap i am pretty sure they would not even let him be part of the fair. and then then we have had designs with oversized steam robots and the list goes on. i didnt do anything for this week for two reason. first being i had to work both friday and saturday night so i would not have gotten a chance to post till sometime sunday. second i had no clue to what i could do that would be allowed. I had some ideas but none of them could have actually be pulled off buy a highschool or middleschool student. Dont get me wrong im not hating on any of these designs. I just hate how you never know exactly what you can and cant do on these derbies and they seem to get more vague as time passes.

ochopika

Staff

ochopika wrote:oh shoot, i have like.. no boobs so I forget to think about that. If I make it smaller, that should solve it.
Ill play around with the size and see if i can do that without making the figures too small.

So i have changed the size as to make it more... boob-friendly But I am a hitchhiker though so I am afraid to resub and lose mah votes

What should I do? Will people really vote again if I resub? The image is moved up and slightly smaller... but I supposed I'd still have to resub the whole thing.

Help this hitchhiker! Advise me!

*edit* hitchhiker is what the spelling changer thing changed to the word i used for "new"

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
wubupon wrote:astronomy is a science....

Just because astronomy = science does not mean looking through a telescope = science fair project. Could a project be made using astronomy? Yes. Is a project being depicted here? No.

pure5152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pure5152
paulandstacy wrote:Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't see the connection to a science fair here. Still can't figure out why this and a few others weren't pulled that are currently in the fog---waste of another week.

if rainbows and clouds are Boot's depiction of a popular science experiment, I see no reason why his entry should be pulled out of the derby.

Johndis5

Re: In Harmony

How does a bunch of squiggly lines and a crudely depicted equation = science fair project?

I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair".

fossa4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossa4
Re: A little o' this... A little o' that... OOPS!

good design... the incidental-ness of the text is a but iffy though

Johndis5

mrwednesday wrote:Yeah, it's a stunning image, but I really don't see the theme.

It'd make a great "imagination" or "I wish I could go to space camp" derby entry, but not this one.

Johndis5

Re: Spectrum

I posted this comment on another shirt, but I think it applies here as well.

"I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair"."

blaze2blue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blaze2blue
Re: Minor Modifications

The big yellow one is the sun!

Johndis5

Re: Happier Times

I like the contrast between the muted colors of the test tube sleeping and the brightness of the dream. nice work.

wubupon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wubupon
Johndis5 wrote:Just because astronomy = science does not mean looking through a telescope = science fair project. Could a project be made using astronomy? Yes. Is a project being depicted here? No.

I see your point... However, the design seems to be two children from different planets testing out their science fair projects the night before, dreaming of the day when they encounter life on another planet. It may not be blatantly "science fair"-y but with a little thought, it fits into the category well.

ochopika

Staff

Johndis5 wrote:Just because astronomy = science does not mean looking through a telescope = science fair project. Could a project be made using astronomy? Yes. Is a project being depicted here? No.

"This week we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved"

This falls into the "theories explored" part of this topic. The theory is: There is the possibility of intelligent life outside of Earth.

It is also part of the research process of astronomy.

The rules do not state that a science fair project has to be depicted in itself.

Now, I still need some helpful advice! (see last post)

Jeus

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Jeus
hankescu wrote:Love the idea but artwork is too crude

seems like an odd way to welcome a new artist. maybe you meant that the facial expression was "scary" instead of crude artwork? this doesnt look like a cave painting to me.

If you want to call someones artwork crude maybe you should visit some of my designs.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com                                                                                                           (8:11 AM, 7/9/2010) Jeus framed the first letter of its kind

wubupon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wubupon
ochopika wrote:"This week we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved"

This falls into the "theories explored" part of this topic. The theory is: There is the possibility of intelligent life outside of Earth.

It is also part of the research process of astronomy.

The rules do not state that a science fair project has to be depicted in itself.

Now, I still need some helpful advice! (see last post)

...or that. have fun thinking about boobs och

oldbdeyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldbdeyes
sasham62 wrote:For his Science Fair project, Eddie powers his battery-operated toy car with a potato battery.
If only we could do the same with our full-sized (electric) cars.

Six colors on navy.
I hope you all enjoy.

Hah..given the slow speed of battery development, I can see this as a viable option.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
pmccall wrote:My take on the primary colors science fair style. This took me a lot longer than I expected but I got a lot of practice with hafltones in the process...

I like this, but it looks like about 8 colors to me.

Nothing follows.

pmccall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmccall
taternuggets wrote:I like this, but it looks like about 8 colors to me.

Thanks, There are only 6 colors there. It is actually just overlayed halftones of the primary colors that create the purple, orange, and green.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Johndis5 wrote:How does a bunch of squiggly lines and a crudely depicted equation = science fair project?

I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair".

Ouch. Well, the crudely depicted equation was for the middle school level part as I think that's about the appropriate level of math. As for the design itself, the instructions didn't specify that it had to be an illustration of the project itself, rather ...we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved. So this is my depiction of the theory of wave harmonics, which is definitely a common middle school science fair project.

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
pmccall wrote:Thanks, There are only 6 colors there. It is actually just overlayed halftones of the primary colors that create the purple, orange, and green.

That's impressive.... +1

Nothing follows.

qwasdfz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qwasdfz
taternuggets wrote:He also saves the world.

Saves us from what exactly? Lacking shirts with animals being horribly mutilated just for an attempt at a pop culture joke? Or not having a wardrobe filled with nothing but t-shirts with cute and fluffy animals. About as anti-hero as the friggin watchmen.

loosefaith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loosefaith
Re: You are here

You got my "love rats" vote!!

effiew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages effiew
Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

It's been a while since I bought a Walmazan, but if this printed, I'd have to get it.

isaiah177

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isaiah177
Re: The Little Inventor

Wow this is epic yet funny, and still totally not cool in that way that totally works for me!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
amreli wrote:Thanks!
now how much of a geek does that make me?

You'd fit right in here ... Davis, CA

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Johndis5 wrote:I like the contrast between the muted colors of the test tube sleeping and the brightness of the dream. nice work.

Thank you Johndis I really appreciate the feedback. Woot On!

megadog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megadog
gwyn779 wrote:I don't know, I think it could be a lot closer to accurate angles and still look like a tree.

i agree gwyn- if it is supposed to be a 'science fair' design then at least the 'science' part should be reasonably accurate. The prism in this design is wrong!!
Ramyb stated 'I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did'
OK do a design related to prisms but at least get the prism right and then let the 'art' and 'creative' bit flow from it.
just my opinion on of the 'science' part the design.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
ochopika wrote:So i have changed the size as to make it more... boob-friendly But I am a hitchhiker though so I am afraid to resub and lose mah votes

What should I do? Will people really vote again if I resub? The image is moved up and slightly smaller... but I supposed I'd still have to resub the whole thing.

Help this hitchhiker! Advise me!

*edit* hitchhiker is what the spelling changer thing changed to the word i used for "new"

You don't have to resub for sizing for woman shirts. Woot will typically shrink the design and also places the design higher for the women shirts. Though if you feel the placement really needs correcting there's no problem with a resub.

If you resub you will have to start all over from scratch on your votes. It can be hard to gain votes back and sometimes having two designs up will split your votes. You can delete a design in the first 24 hours but still I'd only suggest a resub if you really feel this is important or will improve your votes. Always a hard choice.

Also if you resub make sure that either the image for the thumbnail is different or that the thumbnail/title has "resub" or "Version 2/Ver 2" on it. So that people know that this is a different version of the shirt and they need to vote again. =D

Good luck.

k8edid3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k8edid3
Re: solid hypothesis

i like this idea a lot. however, i have an issue with the drawing of the arm that has been cut off for the starfish. a second starfish will not be generated since the arm cut off did not include part of the central disk.

timelessblur

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
Re: Spectrum

this to me is almost a pink floyd rip off. Sorry but someone has to say it. That was my first though when I saw it.

k8edid3

sTyLeS wrote:I wonder if this would actually work.
I read that if you boil the potatoes first that they'll produce 10x's as much energy. And you can aggregate the voltage by chaining a bunch of them together in series.
I did read a story about a guy who used 500 pounds of potatoes to power a stereo.
So lighting a pickle should be a snap.

ha! awesome! i think you should test out this theory and report back! i think it could work.

k8edid3

megadog wrote:i agree gwyn- if it is supposed to be a 'science fair' design then at least the 'science' part should be reasonably accurate. The prism in this design is wrong!!
Ramyb stated 'I wanted to do a design related to prisms because that was the first science fair project I ever did'
OK do a design related to prisms but at least get the prism right and then let the 'art' and 'creative' bit flow from it.
just my opinion on of the 'science' part the design.

i also completely agree. the angle is all wrong and that really really bothers me.

ochopika

Staff

DianaSprinkle wrote:You don't have to resub for sizing for woman shirts. Woot will typically shrink the design and also places the design higher for the women shirts. Though if you feel the placement really needs correcting there's no problem with a resub.

If you resub you will have to start all over from scratch on your votes. It can be hard to gain votes back and sometimes having two designs up will split your votes. You can delete a design in the first 24 hours but still I'd only suggest a resub if you really feel this is important or will improve your votes. Always a hard choice.

Also if you resub make sure that either the image for the thumbnail is different or that the thumbnail/title has "resub" or "Version 2/Ver 2" on it. So that people know that this is a different version of the shirt and they need to vote again. =D

Good luck.

Thank you! I'm glad to know that they change the layout a little for the ladies, now I don't have to resub it.

I could only expect such awesome helpfulness from the person who made caterpillars hilarious to me

IndependentVik

quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
odysseyroc wrote:Fractal Tree+Transitions+Prismatic (india derby)=????

The resemblance is indeed striking. Points for being first.

godmadesky

quality posts: 10 Private Messages godmadesky
msklzannie wrote:One of the only things I remember from my junior high ag elective is, "Dirt is a dirty word. It's not dirt; it's soil!"

One year I did a project on erosion so I had not one, but three, boxes of dirt/soil. Boy were those things heavy.

You mean, "...not one, but three, boxens..."

What are we holding on to, Sam?
That's there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

xzandre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xzandre

I want this shirt to win terribly. If it doesn't win you should post it on cafe press...if the rules allow it.

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Experimental Fail

Until several people pointed it out, I hadn't really realized the placement for a second. It would make women's boobs look boxey and squarish.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d

Very vectorially pleasing. I like the distress to th lines. Very well done, this is design! FAI would be proud.

We'll see how it fairs with th comedy. Cute kicks major arse, here.

Well then, best o' luck, I did... I voted.
BlindDog brUno

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: Science and Cooking, The Pefect Combo

*VOTE*
Nothing spectacular, mind you, but you have captured the essence of the derby and I will applaud that. Appluase.

The rendition is simple. line work is grand, but ...the faces lack imaginality. Nothing special. Make each face a person. Give it life. Micro expression is th key2 story-telling. This is a good story, with great lines. Make them real... but funny. This is funny. You dig?

Much love,
brUno, BlindDog3D

eggspaghet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eggspaghet
dreadwood wrote:Meh.

yeah reed, this one isn't your best