dreadwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: Sky in a Jar

Such an awesome take on an experiment +1

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
walmazan wrote:The Color Solution

Guys, I made a video process when I did this shirt, maybe will be help full for you!

Note: its the full process and my english is not very good, but I hope works for you!

we will cover: Half toning, prepare the files for printing, and some spanish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjun0CnnoUo

This was great, I was going to ask you if you started with a sketch or not. I always love to see other people's processes.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
grrlmarvel wrote:This was great, I was going to ask you if you started with a sketch or not. I always love to see other people's processes.

Thanks grrlmarvel, and yes always I start with sketch.

and thanks for what the process

bluejester

quality posts: 566 Private Messages bluejester
Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

Reposted to my facebook page. C'mon people, get the word out and help get this back into fog.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant

Those hands look like something I've seen before.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Oh look, there's always room for shiny turtles.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Assassin15 wrote:This could be so cool if you used slightly more vibrant colors. The concept is appealing to me though.

I actually used more subtle colors on the lower harmonics deliberately as in music, for example, those tend to be harder to hear/less noticed. I will admit, I tend to like darker/more muted colors in general so it's good to think about kicking them up a notch or two.

blk909, chio, and dreadwood: thank you so much!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
ciaranannrach wrote:The problem is the topic is middle school science fair, not elementary school science fair. Based upon your own words, this is off topic.

Actually, the topic is just science fair. Take a close look at the first line of the description:

"Let us harken back for a second to a simpler time. A time of elementary school, potatoes on toothpicks in styrofoam cups full of water, vinegar/baking soda volcanoes, and cooking hot dogs using solar power."

Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed this design, I'm glad you guys like it :D

doomedinblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doomedinblue
Re: Big Brother

I like it, makes me think of a Joe Hill short story.

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey
uniique wrote:Thanks for the comments

@VonMonkey, Hope springs eternal

Fingers crossed! I would love this as a shirt- I like it more each time I look at it

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

artbreaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artbreaker
Re: Prismatic Rose

glad you guys like it, kind of different for me... trying to do pretty! I got the idea from a company that does color injection for roses, they looked really cool and I looked up the process. Anyhow thanks for the support!

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=52144

Sevenie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sevenie
DianaSprinkle wrote:"The Life Cycle of a CATerpillar"

Experimenting with food to see what happens with CATerpillar... apparently bad things happen.

The CATerpillar is from an earlier derby entry of mine.

utterly adore his facial expression in day 22 <3 gmv.

Sevenie

BootsBoots wrote:Based on the Sky in a Jar science experiment.

if this doesn't win, you HAVE TO put it up on another shirt site. because this is too too lovely to go to waste. the best shirt i have seen in a derby in months <3

Sevenie

nickthedino wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST, THEY WERE A CARTOON FIRST. Or maybe a comic. Either way, they didn't originate in video games.

they were a comic first (i looked it up cause i knew they weren't a video game first, but i wasn't sure what WAS first eitehr lol)

and to put my two cents in otherwise, on topic, off topic, whatever else...i just don't wanna sport dead turtles on my shirt. other than being sad, i'm pretty sure i'd get beaten up by a lot of animal rights people out there.

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Blue Ribbon Appearance

Little disappointed in Woot.

My first entry " Blue Ribbon Formula... At Last!" got rejected because it "APPEARS to be more than 6 colors". I went back over the file... still only 4 colors in that design. Appearances can be deceiving! Thanks for taking away my votes.

So rather than removing color I added another. I guess it is an off week for the reject. Woot On!

jacksorbetter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacksorbetter

Comment is too funny! I actually like your design better in green than the original blue. Keep up the great work wooter!

partimejudas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages partimejudas
Re: Experimental Fail

You know, normally I love jumping on hate trains. There's like this little me inside that says, "Yeah let's go piss in someone's Cheerios." However, I like to try to keep it objective (... it's fun resisting the urge sometimes). So on that note, I like this shirt. There was no phoned in nose or flying octopus birds. I'm happy. Ramyb did well here.

On the note of science fairs - This would have easily happened in my school. Most parents are too lazy to pay attention to their kids and few people screen middle school experiments because it is expected that parents helped them out and thereby rendered proper supervision. It most likely wouldn't be seen at a high school science fair since kids are hopefully smarter by then. (Then again, no child left behind).

On the note of animal cruelty - Yeah it's dead turtles. Innocent mistake or malicious intent? Well, I've seen a hell of a lot worse on Youtube, but should that really be the measuring stick?

Minus side, yeah it's kinda iffy.
Plus side, it's a cartoon joke, not real turtles.

It obviously does not promote giving turtles bleach / household chemicals. If it did, they would be happy, alive, and mutated turtles. Seems more like a warning to me; use this method and get dead turtles. Wearing this shirt will be like a public service announcement. I wonder if I can get volunteer hours for wearing it.

I'll step down from my soap box for the day. Once again, nice work Ramby.

Now 100% chock full of little wind-up robots!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: Blue Ribbon Appearance

Are you using transparencies? We can't print transparencies or gradients, you need to convert them to halftones. If you're not using transparencies then I'm counting way more than 6 colors here. If you are already using halftones then they are way too small to see, let alone print.

partimejudas

Re: Bunny Balloon Lungs

This is cute, but unfortunately I'm missing the point. Unless that is the point. ;)

partimejudas

Re: POTATO POWER

Little known fact: Before moving on to Tritium, Doc Octopus had potato powered limbs.

Surprised we've seen no Spiderman references so far... (Smiling child gets bit by spider in scene one; scene two, child in ICU with IV and giant glowing bump).

partimejudas

Re: Boron is the Fifth

This is freaking brilliant. Okay by the science fair standards... mmm ok, but the Fifth Element reference was priceless. Climb baby climb. Must find more people to buy and vote for neat woot shirts like this one.

diegofant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diegofant
partimejudas wrote:This is cute, but unfortunately I'm missing the point. Unless that is the point. ;)

Thanks. This is a fun take on these balloon lung models we made in middle school.
http://biology.about.com/od/biologylabhowtos/ht/lungmodel.htm

moniquevh24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moniquevh24
tgentry wrote:Are you using transparencies? We can't print transparencies or gradients, you need to convert them to halftones. If you're not using transparencies then I'm counting way more than 6 colors here. If you are already using halftones then they are way too small to see, let alone print.

Yes, there are transparencies in the design. Hours of design down the tubes... because of dots.

scyndan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scyndan

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be, this is an honest question) but I seem to see at least 7 colors on this shirt, not unlike the previous mistake with one of Ramy's shirts a few weeks back. The 7th color only appears as a subtle accent, but it seems fairly obvious to me.

The colors I see are:

1. White
2. Gray
3. Green (turtle's head and legs)
4. Dark Green (Shell)
5. Light Green (Detergent)
6. Light Blue (Halftone)

7. Black (used as an accent on the hanging weapons and also on the detergent bottle, as well as the letters of the tank)

8. Aqua-Green (Detergent Label -- I argued with myself over this one a bit, but it's a distinct color from the other greens)

Again, I could be wrong. Just curious. I suppose it's possible that the black might be an artifact as a result of the compiling the image into a jpeg, but the colors show up distinct on my screen.

Edit: And yes, I am considering that he is using the shirt color for the shadows on the shell.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
ramyb wrote:Actually, the topic is just science fair. Take a close look at the first line of the description:

"Let us harken back for a second to a simpler time. A time of elementary school, potatoes on toothpicks in styrofoam cups full of water, vinegar/baking soda volcanoes, and cooking hot dogs using solar power."
:D

Next in the description: "This week we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved."

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Highpothesis Tested

Love the diagonal design, the characters' expressions, the details, and the cranberry color!

jonbsan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonbsan
Re: Cat physics vs Murphy's Law

Jimmy, grade 8, created a time-space paradox with this innocent science project!

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
amreli wrote:I actually used more subtle colors on the lower harmonics deliberately as in music, for example, those tend to be harder to hear/less noticed. I will admit, I tend to like darker/more muted colors in general so it's good to think about kicking them up a notch or two.

Ok, that makes sense. I voted, and I hope it gets an HM!

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
Re: Punnett's Misstep

Wonderful execution.

I can't help but wonder (and I truly am wondering, not just leading in to my definite opinion on the subject) if the shirt looks better as per the submission, with the chalked square centered, or if the entire design were centered (including the flowers on the left).

Assassin15

quality posts: 161 Private Messages Assassin15
scyndan wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be, this is an honest question) but I seem to see at least 7 colors on this shirt, not unlike the previous mistake with one of Ramy's shirts a few weeks back. The 7th color only appears as a subtle accent, but it seems fairly obvious to me.

The colors I see are:

1. White
2. Gray
3. Green (turtle's head and legs)
4. Dark Green (Shell)
5. Light Green (Detergent)
6. Light Blue (Halftone)

7. Black (used as an accent on the hanging weapons and also on the detergent bottle, as well as the letters of the tank)

8. Aqua-Green (Detergent Label -- I argued with myself over this one a bit, but it's a distinct color from the other greens)

Again, I could be wrong. Just curious. I suppose it's possible that the black might be an artifact as a result of the compiling the image into a jpeg, but the colors show up distinct on my screen.

Edit: And yes, I am considering that he is using the shirt color for the shadows on the shell.

I'm pretty sure your number 7. "Black" is either negative spaced navy blue (for the letters) from the shirt color, or the same gray (on the weapons) as on the cages.

Your number 8. "Aqua-Green" on the other hand, does look like a seventh color. That would also be a plausible mistake, since when he resubbed he may have accidentally used yet another green color.

PULL UP YOUR SKIRT, WE'RE ON A MISSION/
WE NEED A HERO, NOT A POLITICIAN - "Panhammer" by Phinehas

getupeatjelly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getupeatjelly

dexter is much more cute in the show =p

how do i set my laser printer to stun?

timelessblur

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
megadog wrote:Like I said in a previous post
'Dark side of the Moon' time again

I am rather shock woot has not rejected this shirt yet. I knew it was a bad rip off but that picture makes shows how truly bad of a rip off it is.

lrgillilanmartin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lrgillilanmartin
Re: Bonsai for all Seasons

I want!!!!

seanpsimmons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanpsimmons

Not sure if this is fog of war material. There is a feeble showing for this week, however.

seanpsimmons

Poor Pluto. And we thought Uranus had it rough.

propenguin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages propenguin

You guys should really take your complaining back to facebook where it matte... oh wait... just press ALT + F4.

seanpsimmons

sefjwm wrote:I swear I've seen this before.

This is a way funnier TMNT shirt and is easily the most frequently complimented thing I've ever owned. It's hard to go out without someone beaming at it. I wish i had an extra one.

Azurett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Azurett
Re: Show Off

I really enjoy this style of rough-looking sketches! Definitely reminds me of observation sketches that one would put in a science journal(had to do some of that back in high school).

crusader74

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crusader74
Re: Prism Light Insight

It's fantastical... I love it!