vaiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaiv

Hey everyone,

I Have been a fan of the site for such a ong time and barely decided to give a entry a go. Here is a simple terrarium or minature ecosystem contained in a 3 litre bottle. However after the inhabitants created a giant robot to help them escape from their confines things go terribly wrong.

This is a premilimary pencil and ink rough..should have the final version done in a day or two..Everything is confined in the soda bottle with a slightly lower than center placement..I would appreciate any feedback..Tanks everyone ..ALSO didnt realize i should post this here instead of the other thread

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

shellsandoval

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellsandoval
flemtone wrote:This design is perfect. What makes it for me is the simple outline drawings in the back which, though not identified, are easily recognizable. It's a real 'Dexter's Laboratory' concept. "Behold!"

Got my vote - I think it's a great design.

Thanks for the eval! I didn't expect it to become Dexter-esque, but I guess it kinda did. =)

alephnull2k1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alephnull2k1
Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

If only this were even remotely put in a "science fair" setting...you could argue that the experiment "escaped", but it could just as easily have been some kid in his backyard wanting to give Mr. ArmorPants a fun ride. Love the art, though.

Jeri83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeri83
Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

oooo I love this! The colors and the concept are awesome!
I hope it prints!

colourcraze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages colourcraze
Re: Cat physics vs Murphy's Law

I don't think you need the text on the actual shirt, I'd buy it just for the picture of the cat with toast strapped to its back!

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
blk909 wrote:Next in the description: "This week we want to see designs carrying on the tradition of middle school science with your depictions of the theories explored, science fair experiments themselves, or maybe just the chemical or physical processes involved."

And a little further in the description...

Remember the theme is based on a right of passage for middle school though, so leave your complex explanations of String Theory and Higgs boson detection at home.

So yes, while the first sentence suggests elementary level science fair projects would be ok, the following sentences firmly state that the theme is middle school science fair. Based upon that, this is off-theme.

Pheline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pheline
zyzzvazi wrote:When I was in middle school, our science textbooks were at least five years old, and that makes the shirt more plausible. A kid picks up an older book and makes his science fair project from it. He gets to school and someone makes fun of him for having Pluto on it, so he cuts it off. Plus, the people on this site aren't too young to notice Pluto's demotion.

Thank you ZZYZvani for understanding this. I was amazed at how many of you didn't understand the cut string/missing Pluto. I think it's very elegant, in the scientific use of the word. It doesn't even have to mean that the student showed up and discovered his mistake; s/he may have intended to demonstrate the demotion of Pluto.

Planets "in order"? Fly out right now to the edge of the solar system and see where the planets are; they're in different parts of they're orbits (as any astrologer would be happy to tell you). Maybe our student plotted the orbits of the planets at that particular time and ordered them as best s/he could in a 2D space. I imagine there are other materials that accompany this image.

Or the student is a slacker. :-O but I don't like that thought much.

Pheline

melissann34 wrote:I actually did this project with a deer skeleton when I was in 7th grade... my science teacher handed me a bag of deer bones and said have fun! I actually loved the project lol

Still have the bones? Can I have them? :-). I'd love to do something like that.

Pheline

Re: Eeee! My Science Fair Experiment.

Cute kids but looks a little too scattered on the shirt, IMO.

Pheline

Re: Science!

I think it's spread over too much of the shirt. JMO.

slowjam

quality posts: 8 Private Messages slowjam
megadog wrote:I'm glad somebody else can see them. I didn't intend to put any meaning into them. It was the first time I had seen them and just wondered if anyone else had seen them or were my eyes just playing tricks.

Actually it kinda looks like to me that the poor turtles were banging their heads against the glass in a frantic effort to escape their cruel torture and murder at the hands of a sadistic future serial killer.

Or maybe they're skull-and-crossbones. I don't know.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
bz84 wrote:These waves can't be light for two reasons: 1) visible light waves aren't as different as these waves are. Going all the way from red to violet doesn't even get you to the first harmonic; 2) if it were light, the equation would have c in the numerator, not v.

What irks me is that the v looks like a nu, which is another symbol for frequency. Nerds are never happy with anything.

I had actually started w/ rainbow colors (I'm a sucker for rainbow-colored things) w/ red at the lowest frequency and violet at the highest...but since I was going for sound waves and not light waves, I liked it much better this way. Again, going w/ the higher frequencies (to a point) are more noticeable than lower, which I made correspond to the yellow/green color range which is more visible to humans than red/blue.

Yeah, I was struggling with the v vs. nu issue but I went with what I liked the best stylistically. Actually surprised you're the first to mention it...

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=51950]Young Bell

Holy wow. This is amazing. Amazing artwork here. +1

dreadwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreadwood
Re: Tooth in the Soda Experiment

I like the style on this. The guy's expression is awesome haha. +1

sunflowergirl17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunflowergirl17
Re: Sky in a Jar

At first I thought this shirt was on asphalt and thought what a GREAT color to put it on, but I see that it is actually navy, thanks for clearing that up...bummed about the shirt color, but it's still oh so happy (also, I "got" it right away...don't understand the difficulty here) Love your style BootsBoots!

megmoves

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megmoves
Re: How I know my cat is evil by Billy Pugsmith III

I really like this, but wasn't the rules no text? I WANT to see this one stay, though. Well done.

k8edid3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k8edid3
Re: Spectrum

i don't think you as put much thought into this design as you make out. not only is there a huge issue with the prism angle, your "colors of light affecting plant growth" as you state is scientifically incorrect. skirochester depicted it correctly in his design "the color of light" by actually researching it. see this experiment that gwen779 shared. plants reflect green light. so, that portion of your tree should be the smallest since green light inhibits growth. the red and blue portions should in turn be the tallest. you have the red portion as the shortest and the green as the tallest. that's the complete opposite of what whould actually happen. so, again, i'm wondering how your design was inspired by real science. seems to me you just wanted a pretty shirt that would rake in the votes. well, you are definitely NOT getting one from me!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
paigeg wrote:Certainly. But there is also being unoriginal and giving the appearance of blatantly 'cashing in'. And, more than anything, this submission does not fit the theme of 'science fair'. That's the bottom line, really.

This is not even a situation of inspired by. Pink Floyd added nothing to the actual imagery of the phenomenon of light passing through a prism. It is not an idea they came up with. A prism is an actual object that appears in the real world, and is used in a number of science projects. The fact that I wanted to use a prism in a way that created an interesting design does not make it any less on topic. It is just like depicting a real painted sky pouring out of a jar for sky in a jar. Just because something reminds you of something else does not mean that is the source of inspiration for the piece.

srchibimn01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srchibimn01
Re: Minor Modifications

LOVE this shirt! It reminds me of the flair that says "When I was growing up, Pluto was a planet!" LOVE THIS! GMV

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
ciaranannrach wrote:So yes, while the first sentence suggests elementary level science fair projects would be ok, the following sentences firmly state that the theme is middle school science fair. Based upon that, this is off-theme.

And then the next sentence states "Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment."

You can intentionally cut out sections of the description and try to make it seem like only middle school is allowed, but that is clearly not the case if you take the entire thing as a whole. Woot asked for nothing more complex than what you might see in middle school, but said nothing about going simpler, and in fact stated several times that thngs at the elementary school level are fine.

ccoutu2010

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccoutu2010
usopp wrote:I don't like this line "it's just a t-shirt get over it" if someone posted a shirt with swastikas, or Squid Nipplist on it, that line wouldn't cut it. Suppose, my not being from the US, I'll make an anti US shirt. "hey, it's just a shirt. get over it"

besides, making something that is offensive to people, is not a good marketing strategy. Despite Ramy being popular, this design keeps being pushed out of the fog this week by other designs.

Hmmm....darn those pesky freedoms of expression in the US...NOT. It IS just a shirt. Go ahead and make an anti america shirt cause i won't care, i just won't buy or wear it. I don't find glittery shirts demeaning to fairies, but i don't mind if other people want them. So you shouldn't care if someone wants a shirt with these turtles on them.

Sapherynth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sapherynth
Re: Experimental Fail

I am officially tired of TMNT designs, and zombies, squirrels and bunnies actually. I am not singling out Ramyb but I feel it is worth mentioning here since all of those are his MO. Let’s find a new fad to obsess about guys!

tjsynkral

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tjsynkral
DianaSprinkle wrote:Unless it's not. Woot decides on how the rules apply and generally what format the original thing started as does tend to matter in their process. However flawed that might be. They've made one rejection for video games for TNMT and swung the other way on that ever since then.

The way it has worked was, a TMNT shirt was rejected under "No Video Games."

Then ramyb made a TMNT shirt in a "No Video Games" derby, and suddenly they became OK.

In other words, it's a double standard...

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 146 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
tjsynkral wrote:The way it has worked was, a TMNT shirt was rejected under "No Video Games."

Then ramyb made a TMNT shirt in a "No Video Games" derby, and suddenly they became OK.

In other words, it's a double standard...

No, if you want to say that it's all Ramyb's fault I can't stop you but the "India" derby and "Things that start with the letter T" derby had TMNT designs by OTHER ARTISTS before the Ramyb entry in the "Oddball" derby.

It's woot's site, they can change their mind. And lots of people complained about the first rejection being unfair. For whatever reason they aren't rejecting for it now for lots of artists.

DianaSprinkle wrote:Please see the India derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49558
And the "Things that Start with the letter T" Derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49842
And the Oddball derby: http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=49957

All of these derbys had a "no Video Game" rule and had TMNT shirts that were not rejected.

megmoves

Re: Edison Plays Dirty

Awesome! Got my vote. I hope the rest of the wooters understand the Edison/Tesla rivalry.

megmoves

Re: You mean...It isn't a fair?

I like the concept. But the dark blue on black is a little hard to see. Maybe experiment with different colors or a different color shirt?

megmoves

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad
partimejudas wrote:This is freaking brilliant. Okay by the science fair standards... mmm ok, but the Fifth Element reference was priceless. Climb baby climb. Must find more people to buy and vote for neat woot shirts like this one.

Thanks! I appreciate that!

judg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judg
Re: Science Class

I wish I could vote for this one several times. It's the only one that made me say Wow!

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo

oh why so, many, many, many assho-
violins....

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
walmazan wrote:The Color Solution

Guys, I made a video process when I did this shirt, maybe will be help full for you!

Note: its the full process and my english is not very good, but I hope works for you!

we will cover: Half toning, prepare the files for printing, and some spanish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjun0CnnoUo

Your voice was cool. You could do voice-overs for cartoons. Maybe replace the regular Speedy Gonzalez voice with yours.

dreamwootseeker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreamwootseeker
Johndis5 wrote:I posted this comment on another shirt, but I think it applies here as well.

"I hope Monday brings some sweeping rejections, because it's starting to seem like an "anything remotely related to science" derby and not "middle school science fair"."

I honestly don't see that happening. Practically all the designs in the fog are pretty much off topic. This of course is more egregious than the rest (obviously notwithstanding the TMNT one), but that changes nothing. Woot wants to sell shirts and if half the shirts in the fog are rejected, they wont.

I really feel it's time for woot to change it's character. It's become a pretense now - derbies with rules that are poorly (or sometimes not at all) enforced, the same things winning over and over, and clever/artistic designs losing out to pandering. Time to drop the act, woot. Be proud of becoming a sell out.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: The effect of music on plantlife

I've always felt Kenny G. was killing jazz. I didn't realize he was killing plants, too.

sgrimes87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sgrimes87

I just realized what this reminds me of:

http://goo.gl/YzsWJ

I don't know why...it just does. =P

renouxa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renouxa
partimejudas wrote:Little known fact: Before moving on to Tritium, Doc Octopus had potato powered limbs.

Surprised we've seen no Spiderman references so far... (Smiling child gets bit by spider in scene one; scene two, child in ICU with IV and giant glowing bump).

Really good idea, and nice execution! I might have preferred the light halo to be a little smaller, but that's just being nit picky. GMV!

ciaranannrach

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ciaranannrach
ramyb wrote:And then the next sentence states "Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment."

You can intentionally cut out sections of the description and try to make it seem like only middle school is allowed, but that is clearly not the case if you take the entire thing as a whole. Woot asked for nothing more complex than what you might see in middle school, but said nothing about going simpler, and in fact stated several times that thngs at the elementary school level are fine.

I'll have to take your word for it that Woot has stated that elementary school level is fine. Though, the fact it wasn't rejected is also proof enough that woot disagrees with me. Anyhow, good luck with the design.

jerabatten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerabatten

I can't wait for this to print, so my fiance and I can have another shirt to fight over... I mean share lovingly

jerabatten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerabatten
Re: The Color Solution

I can't wait for this to print, so my fiance and I can have another shirt to fight over... I mean share lovingly

keeneyplk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keeneyplk

I love it! Human "beans" are always in a hurry to grow up, too.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
megmoves wrote:I really like this, but wasn't the rules no text? I WANT to see this one stay, though. Well done.

I thought this would pass for incidental text but as other items being gray in this derby why not the text? I like this design as well and thought it captured the theme more than most, IMO. Thanks for the support.