cyberentity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberentity
Re: Experimental Fail

Love this one. Didn't think it should have been rejected. Could have potentially been a failed Middle School experiment.

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: fresh!

i like it, maybe mostly because its odd =) it looks cool on the shirt, and i think that is pretty important =)

megsck

megsck

Re: The Prince Charming Theorem

really cute illustrations you have for this derby, i am requesting that you start illustration childrens books so that i can buy them =)

megsck

Re: Fuel Your Hunger

this is just ridiculous =) haha but it makes me smile the more i look at it.

megsck

Re: Punnett's Misstep

i think semor needs to stop feeding that one.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Minor Modifications

While this does fit the theme of the derby, it's rather ordinary. So not sure why it's garnering the votes.
The whole Pluto thing has been so overdone on every tshirt site, including woot. Nothing new...move along...

megsck

Re: The RYB color model

that girl is adorable....and a psychopath...

eastcobbler

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eastcobbler
normadelc wrote:This answers the question:
"What's yellow, spins really fast and then turns red?"

Jeez i'm slow today. i was having trouble catching on.

vorteks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vorteks
Re: You are here

This looks very wearable. GMV.

megsck

Re: My Pet Turtle Weighs 6 Balloons

love this, my bf had a tortoise and is in love with reptiles, so i will definitely buy one for him if this prints. really nice character spirit!

fly to the fog tortie! fly!

megsck

sTyLeS

megsck wrote:this is just ridiculous =) haha but it makes me smile the more i look at it.

Ridiculous is very good in my opinion. So thanks!

bluejester

quality posts: 549 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Death by chocolate!

It's funny overall, but I think that the weird line effect going through the marshmellow men is what's giving this thing a low vote turn out. Maybe clean it up a bit and it will get more?

I dunno.

be10der2me

quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
Re: fresh!

Rehashed, overdone...every thing you complain about in Ramyb's designs. Get your nerd on and come back with something new because this isn't "all natural baby".

sTyLeS

bluejester wrote:It's funny overall, but I think that the weird line effect going through the marshmellow men is what's giving this thing a low vote turn out. Maybe clean it up a bit and it will get more?

I dunno.

Yeah, your line halftones aren't really working out. Try switching it to circles and see how that looks.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Boron is the Fifth

WOAH! the fifth element reference totally escaped me! I agree with probrendan love your cartoony style and dig this design!

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
sTyLeS wrote:Yeah, your line halftones aren't really working out. Try switching it to circles and see how that looks.

I agree. I really liked the line work in the pre-derby thread, but if I hadn't seen that I would have no idea what is going on here. Please, oh please, fix and resubmit.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: (Science) - (Fiction) =

Science fair - fair + classroom = science class.

I'd argue this is offtheme.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Johndis5 wrote:It's about time someone did a "pluto is not a planet anymore" design. I'm surprised no one thought of it before!

sarcastic post is sarcastic?

megsck

Re: Eeee! My Science Fair Experiment.

dammit, i thought they might be coming after this one =(

im not really digging the "must be a real life experiment" rule, i think it will just produce mostly boring designs.

walmazan

quality posts: 58 Private Messages walmazan

Excellent work Kevlar!

megsck

tgentry wrote:
All of those can be seen as middle school level science, whether real or imaginary, while purposefully researching animal mutation via radioactive material is not. Per the derby rules: Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment. Radioactivity's effects on animal mutation, which is what this experiment appears to be about, is not at that level. Hope this helps explain.

i understand what your thinking was, but i just wanted to point out that middle school kids are who TMNT was made for. They would be their core demographic, meaning that this particular middle school kid maybe is a SUPER TMNT fan. so saying that, i think its totally plausible that a middle school kid got it in his head that if he poured green goo (probably some antifreeze found in his parents garage) over his pet turtles they might turn into mutants. he definitely wouldnt win any awards in the science fair, but i feel its conceivable in the context of this derby that a kid might try it.

the joke here is that the kid thought it would work, but since this is the real world and not a cartoon, the turtles die. i think that is completely something that could happen.

nickthedino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickthedino
Re: Experimental Fail

Seriously? You're looking at this radioactive mutation way too deeply. I believe that this shirt is a lot like The Prince Charming Theorem. A kid has seen something in a cartoon or movie and is simply trying to recreate it in his or her science project.

It's not that hard to imagine that a kid would grab whatever bottle of substance he could find and throw it in a tank of turtles in hopes to create is cartoon heroes.

I find it hard to believe that this rejection was nothing more than a cheap attempt to remove ramyB from this derby.

neeznoodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neeznoodle
taternuggets wrote:But lost?

Harsh!

(Yes, she lost...)

wordwitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wordwitch

Not to be a raincloud on this cute parade, but no video games is one of the rules and this seems to be a Mario reference...

hoxe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoxe
AdderXYU wrote:Science fair - fair + classroom = science class.

I'd argue this is offtheme.

Ya who's to says he doesn't have those things sitting on a table at a science fair too. I think its ambiguous enough to not be restricted to a classroom.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: You are here

Yep yep yep! Always love your shading. Awesome design Naolito.

:^)

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Butterfly Effect

Not super thrilled with this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. My science fair project in middle school was the rate of molding in preserved foods like twinkies and such... doesn't make such a great subject. But lifecycles always interesting!

Thanks everyone - tough one this week. Good luck!

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Incubated

Biology experiment.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Just Add Love

I saw this experiment when searching around and thought it would be great to illustrate but you took it to another level with how you laid it out with the levels. Nicely done and kudos for staying on topic. This one was a bit tough this week.

bellisperennis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellisperennis
Re: Everyone Loves Coffee!

So what happens when you feed coffee to plants? They grow better, of course!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
tgentry wrote:Sky in a jar is a real middle school level experiment.

Blending birds, while not a real experiment (hopefully), is an experiment based on the color spectrum, which is middle school level science.

The plants with tongues entry is framed around a common middle school plant growth experiment, presumably gone awry. But there's no indication that the purpose of the experiment was something beyond a middle school science level.

The "Hulk" kid seems to be working on some kind of generic chemistry experiment and nothing suggests that it's past a middle school level of expertise.

Whatever the hypothesis the girl kissing frogs has, it's not above a middle school level and she's clearly at a science fair trying to prove it.

All of those can be seen as middle school level science, whether real or imaginary, while purposefully researching animal mutation via radioactive material is not. Per the derby rules: Keep it at a level you would expect walking into a grade school gym to judge a kid's experiment. Radioactivity's effects on animal mutation, which is what this experiment appears to be about, is not at that level. Hope this helps explain.

I think you are missing the point here- this is not a mutation experiment. The turtles are dead. What age group would you expect to be Jatravartid enough to carry out this experiment? And for the record, erlenmeyer flasks and test tube racks are not what you would find in middle school science. And what do you think that green liquid is?

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
be10der2me wrote:Rehashed, overdone...every thing you complain about in Ramyb's designs. Get your nerd on and come back with something new because this isn't "all natural baby".

again, thank you for stopping by and sharing your feedback. I don't know where this accusatory tone is coming from with my design. I can understand if you don't like the design. That's fair. But as for this design being a rehash of my designs I think that's not a fair assessment. Has the premise of mentos and diet coke been done before? Yes. Did I approach it differently. Yes. I appreciate feedback but not in the manner you presented it. If you would ,like to have a real dialogue please feel free to PM me because I don't know where all the hate you are projecting on me is coming from.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
Re: extinction theory

Photoshop: Software I love to hate. Think I have the halftone thing right now.

albinoapple

quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: The RYB color model

How on earth is this cute to anyone?

kevlar51

quality posts: 42 Private Messages kevlar51
wordwitch wrote:Not to be a raincloud on this cute parade, but no video games is one of the rules and this seems to be a Mario reference...

It's really not. Man-eating plants didn't first appear in Mario games (hopefully the rejectionator understands that). The earliest I can think of was Little Shop of Horrors from the 1960, but I'd imagining they go back even further.

Others pointed out in the pre-derby thread the danger of a mario-related rejection and I changed around the colors to avoid that.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure
Re: Death by chocolate!

You're all right. i think the lines are a little too vexing, failed artistic approach. i may have to take several steps back, but i could have it resubmitted by tonight if you think its win worthy.

anything else while i'm at it? you're the voters!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: batz haz sonarz!!!

I love the colors on this and the "sonar" cracks my up!

questionmarc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages questionmarc
Re: (Science) - (Fiction) =

This shirt design is really good. I feel it captures all the comments about this derby, which is to say, "This derby + realistic middle school science fair rule = "

Hope this shirt stays in! It's already got my vote.