koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
reluctant wrote:Johannes Gutenberg made do somehow.

Back in the day, and not anymore.

debw1000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debw1000
IamIreland wrote:http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/9/

Haha!!

VonMonkey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages VonMonkey

crazy4books

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazy4books
jasneko wrote:Gosh - I think this is my highest vote total yet...thanks everyone!

I'd also like to reiterate: This shirt strongly suggests using libraries (they're free!) and used book shops (nearly free!), swaps, trades, lending and passing on books to others as much as possible, rather than buying new books - for the sake of the trees! Thanks all!

I totally agree with you. I'll be wearing mine at the Library.

In for 3

msbuzzkillington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msbuzzkillington

They don't require electricity unless you want to read in the dark.

I think I heard someone say something about a candle, but I don't really know what those are.

Cute shirt though, seriously. Nice work.

Fluffy215

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Fluffy215

Both my sister-in-law is a library director and my mother-in-law spent all her working days working for a library and loves her books so this will make great birthday gifts

groove66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages groove66

*This* librarian approves!

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats Jas!

furthea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages furthea

Argh, if only it were on a darker color shirt. I have 0 luck with white/grey shirts.

Love it though.

creativehack

quality posts: 29 Private Messages creativehack

those there books aint gonna read theirselves

RAMPage Soccer for your iPad

iceperson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceperson

This is perfect for the ant-ereader trolls who show up to poo poo any new ereader. You know the type, they can't usually name 5 titles they've read in the last 2 years but call themselves "readers".

dloon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dloon
tomcall wrote:Anybody going to identify those several books that have markings on them? Like, what Japanese symbol is that one in the middle?

The character in the middle is actually a Chinese character, 'di' (pronounced Dee). In Chinese its only use as far as my knowledge extends is in the word 弟弟, which means younger brother. Characters like the one on the book are distinctly Chinese, as they feature straighter lines and are comprised of many different strokes. Natively Japanese characters look like this: ちは. They're a bit more curly and use less strokes than Chinese characters. However, some Chinese characters were borrowed by the Japanese, so sometimes you'll see cross over. For example, in Japanese I do believe the character on the book is a general term for brother, similar to its use in Chinese, though it's pronounced differently than in Chinese.

The more you know, right!

slamaina

quality posts: 4 Private Messages slamaina

I watch Cleopatra 2525 when I am not baked...

norin731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norin731

Now if this said "Comic Books, No Electricity required"...I'm sold!

DraperyFalls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DraperyFalls

Books - They Weigh 10,000 Pounds

Swayde

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Swayde
aliruna wrote:Yey books and libraries! I will never buy a kindle or any sort of electronic reader. People need to step away from the electronics and the phones once in a while. It's ok to be oldschool.
Great job on this design.

I said the same thing until I received a free Nook. It's really a better way to read, but easier on my eyes and easier to get into comfy positions. I'm loving it. But I will still keep my real book collection, and still visit my library and still look for deals on books I'd like to read =)

Lucky Purchaser of 3 Random Craps...
4/1/2011
9/22/2010
8/20/2010

lonoffd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lonoffd

Does the shirt come with a Kindle edition too?

SueRae1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SueRae1
jasneko wrote:Gosh - I think this is my highest vote total yet...thanks everyone!

I'd also like to reiterate: This shirt strongly suggests using libraries (they're free!) and used book shops (nearly free!), swaps, trades, lending and passing on books to others as much as possible, rather than buying new books - for the sake of the trees! Thanks all!

Bought 2 one for me and and I had to buy one for my DD who works at her collage library. Wouldn't it be neat if the whole staff showed up in this tee shirt on the same day

kettes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kettes

Really like this shirt! Now, if "Soap" takes 3rd, I'll have something to wash the shirt with.

mokel22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mokel22
DraperyFalls wrote:Books - They Weigh 10,000 Pounds

That's over 9000!!!

mokel22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mokel22
ericshmerick wrote:Kindle. Requires virtually no power and is recommended by orthopedic surgeons worldwide. Try carrying 2,000 books on your back.

Shirt is as dead as paper books and libraries.

That's the thing, you do not need 2,000 books at a time. You also don't need with you constantly: 10,000 songs, Facebook,and hours upon hours of videos. Try sticking to 16 hours of entertainment at a time, you'll sleep better and that will help your back.

lily1029

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lily1029

I'll be wearing this shirt while working at an independent bookstore and glaring at anyone who asks if we sell e-readers!!

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle

You've really been on fire recently! I hope this one does well for you.

phillipe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phillipe

But let's face it....ebook readers require so little electricity that if you took one in a time machine with you to the 18th century you'd probably die of scurvy before you found yourself without something to read......

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

I'm looking at this shirt with my Nook Color. Bet you can't do that with a book! Actually, studies are starting to show the carbon footprint of books is larger than ereaders. I have no evidence to back that up, but I definitely read it somewhere, not in a book. (p.s. I still love you, books.)

IgnatiusRiley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages IgnatiusRiley

I suppose I should buy this, considering I recently got my library degree and am trying like crazy to find a job in a library. But a light gray shirt with white text? And a really humdrum graphic? Meh, I think I'll pass.

sweetpsychodoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetpsychodoll

"We call this color: Heather Gray-Haired Old Librarian"

As a young and "fun color haired" Librarian, I resent this >:S

embz20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages embz20

Silverfish have a great mating ritual:

The reproduction of silverfish is preceded by a "love dance", involving three phases, which may last over half an hour. In the first phase, the male and female stand face to face, their trembling antennae touching, then repeatedly back off and return to this position. In the second phase the male runs away and the female chases him. In the third phase the male and female stand side by side and head-to-tail, with the male vibrating his tail against the female. Finally the male lays a spermatophore, a sperm capsule covered in gossamer, which the female takes into her body via her ovipositor to fertilize the eggs she will lay later on.
(from wikipedia)

februarystar27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27

Go writeup for the mention of Ha Jin! He's both an alum and a faculty member in fiction at Boston University's Creative Writing program, where I just got my MFA in playwriting.

gregorymjason

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregorymjason

Not going to buy the shirt, but thanks anyway, you did remind me to charge my nook!

mbk21

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mbk21

I've always wanted to try a design like this but didn't have the spine; I'm glad Jasneko had it covered. ISBN a long time since I've seen a shirt this good.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
shakensparco wrote:People who call themselves dedicated book readers say that paper is the only way to go. At the same time, do they know how much energy is required and how much pollution is created by cutting down the trees, processing the paper, printing/assembly and all the transportation in between?

Ebook readers are much better for the environment.

You need to read a book or two. Trees need to be cut down, dense forests prevent new growth and a major cause of forest fires. Paper is natural and biodegradeable.

How much manufacturing, chemicals, energy is used to create your ebook reader? Not too mention all the electricity, circuit boards, wiring etc to deliver the ebook to your ebook reader or computer.

asmadasrabbits

quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits

I want this, but I feel like I shouldn't buy it because I have a Kindle.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Yay Jasneko! You're on fire, lady! Im so glad this placed. I really like the message. Sometimes we need a break from the ol' electronic screens. Congrats!!!

Itsari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Itsari

I fail to see why the two sides can't co-exist.

I love books. I love holding a book in my hands, turning the pages, seeing the words printed there, stroking the spine... erm, ahem, anyway.

That being said, while I don't own one, I would love to have an eReader as well. Therefore, anyone who is solidly on the book side of the argument, and maybe got an eReader as a gift, please feel free to get in contact with me about sending it my way and getting it off your hands.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
mokel22 wrote:That's the thing, you do not need 2,000 books at a time. You also don't need with you constantly: 10,000 songs, Facebook,and hours upon hours of videos. Try sticking to 16 hours of entertainment at a time, you'll sleep better and that will help your back.

Yes, but if I have multiple books and a bunch of music on my iPhone, for example, I don't have to worry about whether or not I'm going to finish my current book before I have the chance to make it home or what kind of music mood I'm going to be in later in the day, etc. As someone who is routinely at work for over 24 hours in a row, this is definitely an issue for me.

That being said, I still love paper books and this is my first heather gray shirt! In general I don't like heather gray, so we'll see how this comes out.

JesseBYAH

quality posts: 5 Private Messages JesseBYAH

Very good point! Books printed on recycled paper are great, too. Congrats on the print Jas, you have been doing so well lately! 2010 was a great year for you, and 2011 is shaping up to be even better! Congrats on your well-deserved success!

doodahbtfcc13

quality posts: 20 Private Messages doodahbtfcc13

I'm remember waaaay back in the day when people actually read actual books for fun, not using them to stick under a wobbly table leg.

godmadesky

quality posts: 10 Private Messages godmadesky

Weird, because the last time my electricity went out for a long period of time, I was not able to read my Kindle after a few hours... Am I doing it wrong?

What are we holding on to, Sam?
That's there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

cameocat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cameocat

Love this shirt - books are always better than the movies.