fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: I'm Your Littlest Fan

Great idea and I'm loving the colors. Little details like the lunchbox always get me.

nerdra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdra
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

OH MY GOD FERROUS WHEEL. <3 <3 <3 <3.

nerdra

iamzach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamzach
iamzach wrote:YAY! This is my first woot T shirt design, and my first ever T shirt design. My illustrator skills are minimal, so any advice or criticism is appreciated. Detail images will be posted soon...

Here are the detail images I promised:

Man and child detail

All kids and man closeup

goodlifegardens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodlifegardens
waywardcat wrote:Like it or not, this shirt is sexual. If you take away the knowledge of the derby theme, what else could this shirt mean? (Not everyone who sees someone wearing a shirt knows where it came from, after all.) It's sexual, and because of that, it's also a bit derogatory. It basically says "I will not have sex with pregnant ladies, or fat chicks or children". Not having sex with kids is good, obviously, but "no fat chicks" is, well, mean.

I don't see how the whole sexual thing is not painfully obvious, honestly.

Boy! Maybe I'm dense or just getting old but I sure didn't see anything sexual about it at all. After reading your explanation, I guess someone could see that, but I haven't found anything in life someone couldn't see sex in.

thegambler311

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thegambler311
JRWorkshop wrote:Like this or more mediocre?? Kinda cool idea, horrible execution

I'm kind of perplexed that this is still in the fog. I've settled on the conclusion that this artist's success hinges on her design simplicity.

But this design takes forever to "get." There's not a lot of clutter on the shirt, but if anyone wants to look at the image, they'll have to stare at the design up close on the wearer's chest for a long time.

Robsoul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robsoul
sTyLeS wrote:Dude, this is an unmodified resub from the Meat derby. They'll usually reject if significant changes haven't been made for the resub.

Well, I thought it was relevant to this derby, so I subbed it. I didn't realize it couldn't be resubmitted. Maybe I should have put an eyepatch instead of a monocle.... If they reject it, so be it, it's not like it's gonna get printed any way. Thanks for the heads up.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Scary Ride

Considering gumiyo created an account specifically for this entry, and it has yet to be rejected, I suspect this might be Ramy testing the hypothesis that he can't fog an entry without his name attached. This will be interesting to watch regardless. Pass the popcorn, derbies are fun.

move along

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
Re: Lucky Roller

Please click on this as there is more to this design than would appropriately fit in the preview cube.

I used to tell kids at school that this happened to me while on a roller coaster, but it didn't.

wubupon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wubupon
ochopika wrote:Thanks, lol. It took me awhile to think that one up :P

This design is based on what would happen every single time my brother and I went to a theme park. And every time we went anywhere in the car, for that matter.

Thanks for checking it out!

love it!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: at no point did this seem like a bad idea

You had me with the tail wiggle.

tazfreeatlast

quality posts: 20 Private Messages tazfreeatlast
Re: A Delicious Fate

No one else sees a potential issue from the trademarked french fry box design?

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/terms_conditions.html

Under the paragraph entitled TRADEMARK INFORMATION (third line down, at about the middle of the line):
The following trademarks used herein are owned by the McDonald’s Corporation and its affiliates: French Fry Box Design

Maybe a resubmission with a flat line across the top &/or bottom of the box should be done?

maverik1390

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverik1390
Re: Winning

Haha, this is the first thing I thought of for this derby...too bad I'm a terrible artist, yours came out much better than mine would have.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

@megsck- Cheers,the balloon is my favorite part too!

thanks nevetnod and nerdra!

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Free Dragon Rides!

So fun and whimsical! Love the colors and all the details. Hope to see this print! +1

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

Thanks for all the comments and votes! Thrilled to see this in the fog.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Bunnypark

Again, I love your line work. My father HATES mascots... I am totally buying this for him if it wins. GMV.

grrlmarvel

Re: Teacups at Kittyland

There are so many things I'm digging on this. The texture is great, the expressions (especially the cat's) are wonderful... it's just a lovely piece. I'll be honest though, I'm a sucker for cats.

grrlmarvel

dooomcat wrote:I understand, but people aren't often interested in shirts with people on them and I needed an animal with long ears to wave in the breeze...

@usopp: thanks! www.dooomcat.com or you can check out my web comic as the art's pretty similar: www.bearnutscomic.com

For those who haven't checked out bearnutscomic... do so. Doom you're extremely talented (and funny).

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
DJTweekNYC wrote:You would like this then. Someone sent me this. I don't know who did it but I guess they tweeted it and it makes me giggle with glee.

http://img684.imageshack.us/i/shirtwoot.png/

ha ha ha ha thats great!!!!!

baadteddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baadteddy
Re: Forever A-Coastin' (beautiful brown!)

wow, yeah, brown does look really good. ya got my vote!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ichimunki wrote:A huge no no? in the ART world? Ha. Not hardly. Maybe in the commercial, Disney-ified we-take-public-domain stories and turn them into our Intellectumal Propitty(TM) world. But in the real art world this sort of thing has been going on for years and years and years. Please to research: Marcel Duchamp. Andy Warhol.

Andy Warhol, like all xerox machines, was never an artist. He was, instead, the reason someone like Ramy can profit at something he has no skill at.

Intellectual property is incredibly important, because it's the basic tenet of respect put into action. If you will use someone else's IP, you have no respect for art, your own or theirs. Art is for all of us to appreciate. It is only for the artist itself to profit from. Fair use exists for the rare artist who can make something truly new and original out of bits and bobs (I would cite a musician like Beck, or serious collage artists, of whom I sadly don't know names but have seen lovely examples). That goes beyond IP. IP itself is vital because no one has a right to profit without skill. I'm sure you'd love to have someone in an office get a raise for commandeering an idea you had. That is what IP exists for. No one should profit off your own ideas except you.

It's an ironic concept to discuss in a piece aping a "designer" who only apes other "artists", but it still applies. It happens in the art world, but only the biggest scum and cheats allow it. It's like any other self-serving way people try to profit without earning said profit.

sunnysfunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny
Re: Tunnel of Love

Thanks for the laugh. +1

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

I like the way you think.

explodedwhale

quality posts: 5 Private Messages explodedwhale

ramy or not, I still don't want one.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

sunnysfunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunnysfunny
Re: I'm Your Littlest Fan

The girl's skirt is awesome.

sTyLeS

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
kaleidoscopicfailure wrote:reminds me of the "Twister Two" when i would always go to elitch gardens in denver, there was a sign near the entrence that said,

"No spitting and/or throwing rock or missiles on the ride"

i suppose it was a common occurance. Great sillouette, btw!

Ha. I'm from the Denver area and know exactly what you're referring to. Funny.

beaterbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beaterbar
AdderXYU wrote:Andy Warhol, like all xerox machines, was never an artist. He was, instead, the reason someone like Ramy can profit at something he has no skill at.

Intellectual property is incredibly important, because it's the basic tenet of respect put into action. If you will use someone else's IP, you have no respect for art, your own or theirs. Art is for all of us to appreciate. It is only for the artist itself to profit from. Fair use exists for the rare artist who can make something truly new and original out of bits and bobs (I would cite a musician like Beck, or serious collage artists, of whom I sadly don't know names but have seen lovely examples). That goes beyond IP. IP itself is vital because no one has a right to profit without skill. I'm sure you'd love to have someone in an office get a raise for commandeering an idea you had. That is what IP exists for. No one should profit off your own ideas except you.

It's an ironic concept to discuss in a piece aping a "designer" who only apes other "artists", but it still applies. It happens in the art world, but only the biggest scum and cheats allow it. It's like any other self-serving way people try to profit without earning said profit.

ugh... your views on art are so nauseating. IP is a 20th century concept invented by the media industry to ensure a flow of unearned profits to talentless corporate executives.

I think this shirt is genius, but sadly it should probably be rejected for being a woot reference/inside woot joke.

sTyLeS

collinvh wrote:Help Me! +1

that is one unexpected octopus!

Or maybe since it only has 6 legs it's a sextopus. But that actually sounds distinctly perverse. Octopus it is then.

sTyLeS

j5 wrote:Considering gumiyo created an account specifically for this entry, and it has yet to be rejected, I suspect this might be Ramy testing the hypothesis that he can't fog an entry without his name attached. This will be interesting to watch regardless. Pass the popcorn, derbies are fun.

I agree with this. Especially also considering a first time submitter never responding once to their own thread especially when it's doing fairly decent? Certainly a bit sketch.

sTyLeS

georg4man wrote:For the most part I like the idea of fireworks, but the two exploding fireworks look strange and I'm not convinced that people often get married at the carnival. Maybe it's just me though.

Pretty sure it's not a carnival. The theme this week is Amusement Parks. And with the castle in the background, it's more likely supposed to be a Disney themed park (or a nondescript version thereof), which people quite often do propose at, and get married at.

gbh1922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gbh1922

sTyLeS

tazfreeatlast wrote:No one else sees a potential issue from the trademarked french fry box design?

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/terms_conditions.html

Under the paragraph entitled TRADEMARK INFORMATION (third line down, at about the middle of the line):
The following trademarks used herein are owned by the McDonald’s Corporation and its affiliates: French Fry Box Design

Maybe a resubmission with a flat line across the top &/or bottom of the box should be done?

Why do you automatically think it's a McDonald's box? It very well could be a Burger King fry box or a Wendy's fry box or pretty much any fast food fry box in the world with the same shape.

j5

Something

SnowQueenVT wrote:wicked!!!!!!

this way comes.

move along

j5

goodlifegardens wrote:Boy! Maybe I'm dense or just getting old but I sure didn't see anything sexual about it at all. After reading your explanation, I guess someone could see that, but I haven't found anything in life someone couldn't see sex in.

Because "no fat chicks" shirts/signs/posters/bumper stickers are everywhere (or used to be), and their meaning is obvious, this is guilty by association.

move along

djtheatre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djtheatre
Re: When Sparks Fly

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the fun feedback. If I had more time this week I'd do a re-sub, but alas... life.

However, just in a quick justification, I designed this because this is how I proposed to my wife 2 years ago on new years eve. We live in orlando, so yes it's more of a disney themed type amusement park. This was one of those "special to me designs" so I thank you for voting and saying that it looked cool.

gumiyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gumiyo
Re: Scary Ride

saved.

Welcome to the Ramyb Experiment.

I see there's been much debate about this submission. Now that I have your attention, I'd like to invite real discussion.

Since Woot refuses to publicly reveal how they protect and monitor their website, and they have their obvious reasons, that leaves a Ramyb skeptic with several unverifiable questions. Let's look at them.

# Does Ramyb win by art alone, or is he using fake accounts? That's the main question that a Ramyb skeptic will ask.
> This design definitely didn't get votes from a newsletter, mass emails, fake accounts or shout outs, yet it's relatively high in the votes.

# Does this mean that people genuinely love Ramyb and vote accordingly?
> Either two things are happening. 1... People genuinely love the Ramyb style, or 2... People are "in on the joke" and are voting for it out of sheer entertainment.

Sadly for us Ramyb conspiracy theorists, this experiment does speak well for him winning by sheer style, although it doesn't explain why his designs jump out of the reckoning all the time, like :School: that just won't die. That question remains unanswered and can only be determined by a Woot staff member that can follow buying trends, shipping addresses and so on.

# This design didn't shoot straight to the fog. Does that mean Ramyb does use fake accounts?
> Unfortunately, this also can only be answered by a Woot staff member. It's exasperating when almost every single one of his designs shoots straight to the top. Why does that happen? Maybe this did not fog because it's a Gumiyo, not a Ramyb. Or maybe because it wasn't helped along by fake accounts. We just do not know.

# Why are we seeing new accounts that look exactly like Ramyb, more so than this one.
> Maybe Ramyb is trying to change names and get out of the hate. Maybe there are other artists that are already using the Ramyb style before this submission. We do not know.

# Woot did not reject this for forgery or plagiarism. Does that mean anyone can submit the Ramyb style?
> My assumption is that Woot would encourage you to learn what Wooters like, improve your craft, and design what sells. Cute sells. If cute is not in your skill set, take a chance by designing something more realistic. Otherwise, Woot sells cute. DBH sells big artsy. Teefury sells parody. That's just how it works.

In summary, while this experiment did not satisfy all my questions, it does make me consider that people genuinely love the Ramyb style, from which he may get most of his votes. Is there any additional funny business behind the scenes? It's certainly uncanny how many Ramyb designs win and stay reckoned.

Now. What do you think.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Free Dragon Rides!

Fantastic!

Oxyminoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oxyminoan
gumiyo wrote:saved.

Welcome to the Ramyb Experiment.

I see there's been much debate about this submission. Now that I have your attention, I'd like to invite real discussion.

Since Woot refuses to publicly reveal how they protect and monitor their website, and they have their obvious reasons, that leaves a Ramyb skeptic with several unverifiable questions. Let's look at them.

# Does Ramyb win by art alone, or is he using fake accounts? That's the main question that a Ramyb skeptic will ask.
> This design definitely didn't get votes from a newsletter, mass emails, fake accounts or shout outs, yet it's relatively high in the votes.

# Does this mean that people genuinely love Ramyb and vote accordingly?
> Either two things are happening. 1... People genuinely love the Ramyb style, or 2... People are "in on the joke" and are voting for it out of sheer entertainment.

Sadly for us Ramyb conspiracy theorists, this experiment does speak well for him winning by sheer style, although it doesn't explain why his designs jump out of the reckoning all the time, like :School: that just won't die. That question remains unanswered and can only be determined by a Woot staff member that can follow buying trends, shipping addresses and so on.

# This design didn't shoot straight to the fog. Does that mean Ramyb does use fake accounts?
> Unfortunately, this also can only be answered by a Woot staff member. It's exasperating when almost every single one of his designs shoots straight to the top. Why does that happen? Maybe this did not fog because it's a Gumiyo, not a Ramyb. Or maybe because it wasn't helped along by fake accounts. We just do not know.

# Why are we seeing new accounts that look exactly like Ramyb, more so than this one.
> Maybe Ramyb is trying to change names and get out of the hate. Maybe there are other artists that are already using the Ramyb style before this submission. We do not know.

# Woot did not reject this for forgery or plagiarism. Does that mean anyone can submit the Ramyb style?
> My assumption is that Woot would encourage you to learn what Wooters like, improve your craft, and design what sells. Cute sells. If cute is not in your skill set, take a chance by designing something more realistic. Otherwise, Woot sells cute. DBH sells big artsy. Teefury sells parody. That's just how it works.

In summary, while this experiment did not satisfy all my questions, it does make me consider that people genuinely love the Ramyb style, from which he may get most of his votes. Is there any additional funny business behind the scenes? It's certainly uncanny how many Ramyb designs win and stay reckoned.

Now. What do you think.

Wish you would have waited until the Derby was closer to being over. Revealing your master plan is going to skew what otherwise is a pretty brilliant little experiment.

kinkajou1015

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kinkajou1015
laurasmada wrote:This was always my favorite ride when I was a kid. I really want this shirt. Awesome job!

Also my favorite. I hated when the name changed to like "Spaceship 2000" then it just stopped appearing and the one that had the crane arm that tilted you around while it was spinning seemed to replace it around me. And I hated that because there was no roof on it so I couldn't feel "safe".