amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: Delusions of Grandeur

Cute! I also really like the colors.

And I agree, the physics (with creative license) are correct. For example, here's a concave mirror:

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Initiative

Also - use the message function on the artists you like. Almost everyone here is super nice and willing to help people out. I'm still fairly new to the game and I ask people questions all the time.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ichimunki wrote:A huge no no? in the ART world? Ha. Not hardly. Maybe in the commercial, Disney-ified we-take-public-domain stories and turn them into our Intellectumal Propitty(TM) world. But in the real art world this sort of thing has been going on for years and years and years. Please to research: Marcel Duchamp. Andy Warhol.

Oh, come on. You are talking as if all artists' have no personal values, morals or ethics. Even if art thievery only applied to "the commercial world," artist, critics, and many viewers still know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. Granted, I will admit that there are a few "bad seeds," but for the most part, we respect each other as artist as well as ourselves.

Stealing an artist's creation and claiming it as your own in order to make a quick buck is definitely a HUGE no-no in the art world, and I am shocked that someone disagrees...

The "artist" here thinks that the "real discussion" is his poorly planed experiment that proved just about nothing. Really, the Real Discussion here is why did this survive several rounds of rejections before the artist came forward with his/her intentions? This is worst than the World Nomination piece, which supposedly got an artist banned from this site. It worst because we don't have to search high and low to find some random piece of artwork on deviate art... it's right under our noses and we all know it! Why did we ignore it in this case? This is truly concerning to me...

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: Elephant Ears

Sugary goodness

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

chumpmagic wrote:
Really, the Real Discussion here is why did this survive several rounds of rejections before the artist came forward with his/her intentions?

While this "experiment" looks to be an epic fail on every level, why would it be rejected based off no information about the artist whatsoever? The artist could have been anyone, including the artist that it's referencing who submits weekly at this site. If that's supposed to prove something about the rejection process, it fails much like the rest of this "experiment" because leaving everyone in the dark leaves open the possibility that it's exactly what the person set out to make it look like.

A much better experiment would have been to post in the WoW forum and ask "Can I get honest opinions, no matter how brutal, about why Woot voters may not be voting for my OWN work." That data would have proved much more useful than whatever this is supposed to be. Unfortunately putting your own work to task is much harder than doing it to someone else, but it's also much more rewarding.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

I keep coming back to this shirt, I think it's my favorite for the entire derby. Love the atomic balloon and Ferrous Wheel. Then again, I'm obviously a huge science nerd.

CVBrennan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan
Re: Delusions of Grandeur

cmdixon2, you lie! <3

Great design.

chumpmagic

tgentry wrote:While this "experiment" looks to be an epic fail on every level, why would it be rejected based off no information about the artist whatsoever? The artist could have been anyone, including the artist that it's referencing who submits weekly at this site. If that's supposed to prove something about the rejection process, it fails much like the rest of this "experiment" because leaving everyone in the dark leaves open the possibility that it's exactly what the person set out to make it look like.

Well, it is possible. The "thief" and the "victim" could be the same person. If not, then it feels like it breaks the terms and conditions. I thought that made it suitable for rejection/ removal, no? Maybe I read it too "loosely" or chose to define it with my own views unwittingly but...

"12. Artist Representations. Artist represents and warrants that he/she has the right to enter into this Agreement, that the Artwork is original and has not been previously used commercially, and shall not infringe upon or violate any copyright, or any other personal or proprietary right of any kind of any third party. Artist indemnifies Woot, its officers, directors, employees, successors and assigns, against any and all losses, expenses (including attorney’s reasonable fees), or damages arising out of any breach of Artist’s warranties, representations, and obligations hereunder. This paragraph shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement for any reason."

Feel free to fill me in if there is something I am not understanding, overlooking, or possible making overcomplicated. Specifically, the part that states: "any other personal or proprietary right of any kind"

tgentry

quality posts: 109 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

chumpmagic wrote:Well, it is possible. The "thief" and the "victim" could be the same person. If not, then it feels like it breaks the terms and conditions. I thought that made is suitable for rejection/ removal, no? Maybe I read it too "loosely" or our chose to define it with my own views but...

"12. Artist Representations. Artist represents and warrants that he/she has the right to enter into this Agreement, that the Artwork is original and has not been previously used commercially, and shall not infringe upon or violate any copyright, or any other personal or proprietary right of any kind of any third party. Artist indemnifies Woot, its officers, directors, employees, successors and assigns, against any and all losses, expenses (including attorney’s reasonable fees), or damages arising out of any breach of Artist’s warranties, representations, and obligations hereunder. This paragraph shall survive the expiration or termination of this Agreement for any reason."

Feel free to fill me in if there is something I am not understanding, overlooking, or possible making overcomplicated. Specifically, the part that states: "any other personal or proprietary right of any kind"

If Ramyb decided he wanted to submit under gumiyo from here on out, there's nothing in what you just posted that would stop him, or anyone else, from doing just that. Or, as happens often, one artist teams up with another and they create a new account to sub their collaborative designs. Until the "actual" Gumiyo came forward with their "big reveal" there was no evidence of any kind that what you just posted had been violated, was there? So that answers your question as to why it wasn't rejected until Gumiyo came forward.

travisk02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisk02
Re: Heed the Warnings of The Ride...

Well I guess "offensive" is better than a no... but at least we know Woot as their collective minds in the gutter.

I still stand by the fact that these are actual warning signs for common rides... it may not have printed but I would have liked to have seen how far this would have gone.

"Expect to get shot down often and hard." -- teh Great TT

DarkRaven44

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarkRaven44
travisk02 wrote:Well I guess "offensive" is better than a no... but at least we know Woot as their collective minds in the gutter.

I still stand by the fact that these are actual warning signs for common rides... it may not have printed but I would have liked to have seen how far this would have gone.

Though my opinion doesn't mean much and this was already rejected I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I like reading all the ridiculous warning signs before roller coasters too and not once did it enter my mind that it was for something other than a roller coaster.

sybrwookie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sybrwookie
Re: The Rollercoaster of Love

I don't see love going slow, fast, or a licorice whip anywhere. Pass.

DarkRaven44

Re: Fun house reflections

I hate bunnies because of woot and a particular artist but I do like this and feel like it would be appreciated more if this community hadn't already been bashed over the head a million times with bunny submissions

chumpmagic

tgentry wrote:If Ramyb decided he wanted to submit under gumiyo from here on out, there's nothing in what you just posted that would stop him, or anyone else, from doing just that. Or, as happens often, one artist teams up with another and they create a new account to sub their collaborative designs. Until the "actual" Gumiyo came forward with their "big reveal" there was no evidence of any kind that what you just posted had been violated, was there? So that answers your question as to why it wasn't rejected until Gumiyo came forward.

Yes. Thank you for your time and thank you for answering my question (on a sunday as well as a holiday to boot!). I know I am being kind of an a-hole, but intentionally, blatantly lifting another persons artwork is something that I just can't sit back and ignore. I hope you understand.

And I do understand that people have the right to change their username. I know deadfrog did it, and there was no issue there. I guess since people have been doing a lot of mockery toward the artist lately, and since the kid was a little off-style, I just assume it wasn't him from the get-go. You were correct to wait though; a username change was a possibility here.

Again, thanks and sorry.

DarkRaven44

bluetuba wrote:way better with more balls!

ahahahah

travisk02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages travisk02
DarkRaven44 wrote:Though my opinion doesn't mean much and this was already rejected I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I like reading all the ridiculous warning signs before roller coasters too and not once did it enter my mind that it was for something other than a roller coaster.

Thanks DarkRaven... too bad Woot can't let Wooters decide for themselves.

"Expect to get shot down often and hard." -- teh Great TT

Robsoul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robsoul

HA, awesome work waltz man, you always come up with some great ones.

Re: “License and Registration”

blackeyedgoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackeyedgoby
rasabi wrote:An english professor told my wife they learned in school that tar pits are the reason all the dinosaurs went extinct.

I could think of only one reason that could be true.

4 colors on asphalt. Design is left-aligned.

blackeyedgoby

blackeyedgoby wrote:

I Vote for Ross, I do I Vote for Ross

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
beaterbar wrote:ugh... your views on art are so nauseating. IP is a 20th century concept invented by the media industry to ensure a flow of unearned profits to talentless corporate executives.

I think this shirt is genius, but sadly it should probably be rejected for being a woot reference/inside woot joke.

Your definition of genius colours your prior opinion quite well.

The fact of the matter is that Intellectual Property, used properly, undermines exactly what you note. It means that a greedy corporate exec cannot use my work simply because they have the publishing power. It means that, while the original creator of World Nom-ination is not remotely as "popular" as sekiyoku is (I wish I could say was, but no one should believe anyone cares she cheated, sadly), and not as powerful as woot, they were able to leverage the site to protect their creation. It's why Todd Goldman is so hounded by much smaller artists who created his products before he stole them and made a fortune off them.

If anything, it is the idea of fair use and copyright expiration which keeps the fat cats getting fatter. Sure, there are sketchy publishers and executives. It is for the artist to avoid a situation like the Beatles' catalog being stolen out from under them and sold to Michael Jackson, who outbid Paul McCartney for his own songs. That's an abuse outside of IP. But without it, we get this: We have publishers who put out a new version of Great Expectations every five years, because they don't have to pay for it. We have the New South edition of Huck Finn. In our lifetimes, we will see people able to re-record "What's Goin' On" or "Tommy" or "Revolver" in its entirety and profit off other people's work. We already see this in major labels when artists have signed their rights away. That's the artist's fault as much as the greed of the label. But every artist who ignores Glee or Idol's requests for talentless nitwits to re-record their songs, that is the power of owning your own work. Every artist who sues when a commercial snags their work against their will, that's what IP is meant to protect. It is ostensibly there for the artists' defense. Greedy people abuse everything. That does not put what they abuse at fault, but puts their greed and abuse at fault.

In the art world, consider the print. I can print Starry Night. It's not mine. How much money do you think I'd make selling prints of Van Gogh's most popular painting? How about prints of Michelangelo's work in the Sistine Chapel? The Last Supper? Should I be allowed to profit off masterworks that are not mine? So what's the extrapolation for the modern artist? When the copyright expires, who's got the claim to the artist's work: the family of the genius, or anyone with a quick, efficient and cheap printing press? What family could preserve their ancestor's legacy themselves against the super rich and super greedy? IP fights to give the artist the final say, even though the greed and power of corporations make that fight as impossible as possible.

I'm not 100% sure why anyone would be mad at Disney or George Lucas or people like that for refusing to let people use their characters. I refuse to let people use my computer. It's mine. IP is no different. Disney should be the one making mint off Disney forever. Its his work. And surely he has any number of sketchy bits in his empire's building, and surely he is a dramatic example of defending one's own IP, but who deserves Bambi more than the guy who made it? Suggesting otherwise suggests that the suggester (whoa, mindwarp) wants to profit off that product. Where is the honor in such a position that would make anyone care what such a person wanted?

blackeyedgoby

blackeyedgoby wrote:I Vote for Ross, I do I Vote for Ross

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
AdderXYU wrote:
I'm not 100% sure why anyone would be mad at Disney or George Lucas or people like that for refusing to let people use their characters. I refuse to let people use my computer. It's mine. IP is no different. Disney should be the one making mint off Disney forever. Its his work. And surely he has any number of sketchy bits in his empire's building, and surely he is a dramatic example of defending one's own IP, but who deserves Bambi more than the guy who made it? Suggesting otherwise suggests that the suggester (whoa, mindwarp) wants to profit off that product. Where is the honor in such a position that would make anyone care what such a person wanted?

Last I heard, Walt was still dead.

move along

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Dunk O' Kitty

Um... how the heck did that mouse get that cat tied up and then put him on a platform in a dunking booth!? Don't know but sure looks funny to me.

Here's another design a came up with for the theme. I hope people dig it. Open to all feedback good and bad. I hope to have a link for the detail's up later.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Chili Con Carnie

When I read it, I thought of Art Carney, but this looks nothing like him. Glad that wasn't your intent.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

schighschagh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schighschagh
Re: Please Remain Seated

Pretty funny, but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets rejected with a simple "No" or "Can't do it". Good luck though!

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
j5 wrote:Last I heard, Walt was still dead.

not to mention that he didn't create mickey, someone who worked for him did...he did make bambi either, people who worked for him made it.

disavowwed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disavowwed
Re: Heed the Warnings of The Ride...

Alright so I'm totally with you trav. While I have to be honest and say I probably wouldn't buy this shirt, I was still pretty mad when your original design was rejected. I didn't get it. I like this one much better and was even more confused.

But after reading the comments, I could agree with some of the reasons people came up with, mainly someone who said that out of context this shirt wouldn't make sense.

So I thought, what would I think if I saw someone wearing this. Immediately I saw the shirt as rules to ride.. this. As in the wearer. Then I realized why it would be offensive. Was that what you were going for?

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy

Yay! Finally got this done! Here are some close ups:

Harmony Joy Wallender

CVBrennan

Re: All the Colors Wash Away

I feel like I'm in a French Film looking at this shirt.

CVBrennan

Re: When They Fly

LoLz

CVBrennan

Re: Timmy T-rex's Fun Fair Adventures

at a glance i thought a 5 year old made this design, then i looked again and it was a picasso!

harmonyjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harmonyjoy

Alright, once more for an attempt at using this weird HTML and Flickr:

Harmony Joy Wallender

readingatmidnigtht

quality posts: 0 Private Messages readingatmidnigtht
Re: Cycle of Life: A Ride for Water

I WANT ONE!!!!!!

scynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scynn
Re: Wetworks

Hint: The yellow is urine.

jsarate74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsarate74
Re: Spider Love

Coolest shirt on here! Cheryl does bad ass art!

ichimunki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ichimunki
Re: The Nerdiest Place on Earth!

Who do I bribe to get this shirt to print? ;)

It's extremely imaginative and well done. WANT.

KaisarRyu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KaisarRyu

I feel like there is a tale behind this image, and just wish I knew what it was.

Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

daughterofkaos13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daughterofkaos13
CVBrennan wrote:I feel like I'm in a French Film looking at this shirt.

/agree