moronbrigade

quality posts: 23 Private Messages moronbrigade

So four months have come and gone since the 177 reckoning and only four shirts remain since then. Congratz to The Binge, Came out of nowhere, Nevermore, and Fresh Cake for surviving 2011 so far! Lets see if any of these fatal four survive till August (Nevermore, I already have you down.)

Seize the Opportunity.

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

Has anyone checked "The Cake is a Liederkranz's" stats today? It's so close to being...

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Narfcake wrote:j5 wrote:
I suspect the "If I only had a brain" shirt might....
uh...
cannibalize sales of "acquired taste" XD

On the corollary, there may be folks that want to buy both of them too. You never know.

I say, I say, that was a joke, son.
A pun, as it were.... XD

move along

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Arthurbrigade wrote:So four months have come and gone since the 177 reckoning and only four shirts remain since then. Congratz to The Binge, Came out of nowhere, Nevermore, and Fresh Cake for surviving 2011 so far! Lets see if any of these fatal four survive till August (Nevermore, I already have you down.)

Cake may go this week, (though it also seems to have good late week staying power) it seems the zombie cakes may have taken the streaker out.

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil
Arthurbrigade wrote:So four months have come and gone since the 177 reckoning and only four shirts remain since then. Congratz to The Binge, Came out of nowhere, Nevermore, and Fresh Cake for surviving 2011 so far! Lets see if any of these fatal four survive till August (Nevermore, I already have you down.)

This is the lowest I've ever seen Came Out of Nowhere, and close to the lowest I've seen Nevermore. If we get one or two more strong derbies, combined with the ramyb fuelings of keeping his own shirts out of danger, we could see either one reckoned. Although I'm determined to buy It Came Out of Nowhere eventually, probably after it get reckoned (if ever).

Of course if a woot-off happens there won't be any danger of that.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
polluxoil wrote:

How does the woot-off work in terms of shirts? Are they all on sale for that hour? I happened to visit during a woot-off once and couldn't figure it out, as absurd as that sounds. Hey, I'm inching towards "ends in a 0" birthday on Monday - getting stupider in my older age!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
neuropsychosocial wrote:How does the woot-off work in terms of shirts? Are they all on sale for that hour? I happened to visit during a woot-off once and couldn't figure it out, as absurd as that sounds. Hey, I'm inching towards "ends in a 0" birthday on Monday - getting stupider in my older age!

During the woot-off shirt hour, all shirts in the reckoning are $12 shipped.

move along

Narfcake

quality posts: 288 Private Messages Narfcake
polluxoil wrote:This is the lowest I've ever seen Came Out of Nowhere, and close to the lowest I've seen Nevermore.

Previous lows were #165 and #156, respectively.

It's amazing how many sales rack up when it's $3 off ... like selling over 2k of a shirt that was in its 3rd week already at the time. In that thread, I also noted how The Binge sold like 750 shirts that day, and was still in 8th place.

That (#187) was a historic reckoning, though ... the last shirt from a banned artist got reckoned.

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

It's time to say goodbye to April (holy crap, it's MAY already?!) and it's rapidly approaching the time to say goodbye to all seven shirts in our Danger Zone. Come Monday they'll be Reckoned off for good, unless of course you stop by the Reckoning page and buy one. You just might save it or, even better, push a shirt you like even less further down in the standings!

bluejester

Did a double take when I saw the Reckoning.

No joke, I thought that Imposter had some how clawed it's way back from t-shirt hell and had reappeared on the Reckoning in the danger zone.

sparrowhawk69

quality posts: 65 Private Messages sparrowhawk69
bluejester wrote:Did a double take when I saw the Reckoning.

No joke, I thought that Imposter had some how clawed it's way back from t-shirt hell and had reappeared on the Reckoning in the danger zone.

I'm gonna bet that in this derby we will see 4 emperor penguins dressed as royalty. Maybe 4 king sized hares as a 2nd entry.

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

Narfcake

sparrowhawk69 wrote:I'm gonna bet that in this derby we will see 4 emperor penguins dressed as royalty. Maybe 4 king sized hares as a 2nd entry.

Stop giving us nightmares!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Narfcake wrote:The un-wrinkly is the pop culture aspect that is ranted on constantly. What makes Cake good but Cheese not, even though both are references of Portal?

To go one step further, both shirts still stand on their own merits too even if the one looking at them had no idea of the reference. As I own both of them now, I can certainly say there's more art involved in the making of Cheese vs. the making of Cake too.

My take ... designs are not always going to suit everyone, everytime. To rant that everything should change because the current method isn't "perfect" ... ummmm, why? You like it, you buy it. You don't like it, you don't buy it. Pretty simple IMHO.

As I have said extensively (reading is a vital skill for a reason):

1) How does Cheese hold up without understanding portal? Because it's a cute mouse. There's no concept without the concept of portal. Ergo, if it stands alone, it is because people just want a cute mouse.

2) Gimmicks. We have the cute, the shiny, the pop reference, and the double sided tee. You cannot load up that much gimmick and have a good shirt.

3) What sets cake apart is that the joke is equally funny, and indeed arguably more funny, without playing portal. Which I still haven't done. If portal didn't exist, The Cake is a Liar would still have done well. In the era where an Angry Day (which, like Cake sans Portal, is one-color, simple art, and absurdist) could last 25 weeks (and likely would have gone longer had there been a pre-reckoning thread that week), Cake fits perfectly.

4) Again, even outside of cake, the reason pop culture needs to be cut off at the knees is because that's ALL we have now. there have been good ones, and always will be good ones. But there are far more terrible ones, or ones that have no true parody aspect. The ones which were created purely to make a mint off someone else's inspiration. Cake's creation was when Portal was very much untested waters. It took second with some 600 votes. It never hit #1. It lasted because it took simple, tasteful graphic art, turned a soon-to-be-overused meme into a fresh punchline that could be worn even by non-tech-geeks, and added enough smart touches (the orange blank, for example) to make it a perfect subtle tee for even the hardest core Sirius GPP-o (I mean gamer) to be proud of. Universality and such. This is why your grandmother is never going to laugh when you ask her "How many Daleks does it take to change a lightbulb?" It is why she will sadly shake her head and take you out of her inheritance when you riotously answer "Extermin-Eight!" Ten to one though, if you were wearing your Cake shirt in front of her, she would laugh. We shouldn't aspire to Grandma humor, but that's part of what universality is about. A good joke is one you can relate to. And since Cake is all about the punch line, the double meaning which takes it wholly out of the realm of the gamer and into the realm of the simply silly is what makes it superior. There is no double meaning in cheese. There is even less double meaning in the common literal representation tees or mash up tees.

Cake already exists, and I've enumerated the reasons it stands apart numerous times (not that anyone has ever cared to remember them). Still, where we are now, years later, is a world that respects effort and creativity less, and a world where art is about a quick buck, and not about what an artist puts into a piece (and while cake is super simple, far more of MJ was put into it than was put into the average current pop tee). And while the world may still have other Cakes to give us in parody world, right now it's more important to rip up all the weeds before planting a single new seed in that flowerbed.

sparrowhawk69

Narfcake wrote:Stop giving us nightmares!

Would you go for a king - queen - prince emperor with a bunny disguised as a princess emperor? I read somewhere that Ms Middleton wasn't from a royal bloodline so it might be a timely approach. Now if we could only find an artist that might draw such a scene. I should suggest this in the other forum. Sleep well Narf. Lol.

Sparrowhawk69 is in therapy for seeing bunnies everywhere & is currently a member of R.A.B.B.I.T. : "RamyB All Bunnies Because I'm Trippin" anonymous.

kldakey

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kldakey
novastarj wrote:

The real surprise is ramyb, who could be down to 2 shirts in the Reckoning (neither of which seem that strong to me) if he loses "Cooler than you," and he doesn't even have an entry in this Derby.

Where are you Ramyb?? I've looked and looked for your entries. I miss you. You always make me laugh

Narfcake

AdderXYU wrote:As I have said ...

OK, you've made your point, and seeing how this week's derby calls out for "No pop culture", perhaps they are listening to you.

Still, my opinion stands, and we all have different tastes in shirts. As it is right now, not every shirt in the reckoning is pop-culture, nor is every shirt artsy, nor is every shirt silly. They're not all zombies, not all robots, not all ninjas, not all pirates, and not all bunguins. The fact is, no shirt would ever please everyone, every time. And this works, so long as Woot continues to offer a variety of shirts that accommodates their variety of customers.

Narfcake

More numbers tabulated on a local spreadsheet ...

27th place (Bad News Bear) sold 4 in the past 24 hours.
20th place (Fresh Cake) sold 18.
10th place (Unstealthiest Ninja) sold 21.
1st place (The Cheese is a Liederkranz) sold 217.

The daily sales rates between 19-23 are really close, so a couple sales will sway one from another.

mrsbigeddi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrsbigeddi

[quote postid="4461340" user="Narfcake"]More numbers tabulated on a local spreadsheet ...

Thanks for following with the stats. It's always interesting to read. Keep it up! :o)

sparrowhawk69

The Binge has switched from cookies to pi. It's woot wage is now $3.14 per hour.

Narfcake

Some current numbers, along with the number sold since the April 25th, 1:15am CST. Once again, there's a fight between the same three shirts as last week, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

The Cheese is a Liederkranz - 9430 (+1297)
If I Only Had a Brain - 3648 (+295)
Meh - 6815 (+155)
In Harmony - 3670 (+160)
Acquired Taste - 11261 (+129)

Books – No Electricity Required - 3773 (+104)
The Binge - 42270 (+120)
World 1-1 Building - 4840 (+72)
Tea! - 3549 (+69)
Unstealthiest Ninja - 6734 (+111)

Minor Modifications - 3367 (+67)
Spectrum - 2855 (+96)
Reflections on Pi - 8523 (+90)
Nevermore - 36861 (+94)
It Came Out Of Nowhere - 27734 (+78)

Rule No.1: Cardio - 2360 (+101)
The Last Cupcake - 2100 (+81)
Metrognome - 2865 (+59)
Odd Bear Out - 4260 (+100)
Natural Instinct - 4995 (+80)

Fresh Cake - 12557 (+87)
No one left to play with - 7176 (+82)
Cooler Than You - 5493 (+103)
They call me… Tim - 4455 (+81)
Eatser Bunny - 1654 (+41)
Captain Polly Hates Crackers - 1591 (+33)
Bad News Bear - 985 (+30)

jr637

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jr637
polluxoil wrote:In one week, Cheese has sold approximately 1/5 the total number of shirts the Binge has over 85 weeks. Now I doubt we'll continue to see 500-800 shirts sold a day like we have been, but it will be interesting to see if Cheese has legs like Binge or if it's a front-ended shirt.

At this point, it really shows no signs of slowing down.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Looks my cake have a chance to survive another week!!! Yay!

theclubber

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theclubber

I've waited 41 weeks, but I finally got it. I have been waiting for 'Fresh Cake' to be in the (Lana... Lana... Lana... LANA!) Danger Zone to finally make the purchase. And with my purchase, it is back in the Top 20!!! You are welcome, Naked Cupcake!

Narfcake

walmazan wrote:Looks my cake have a chance to survive another week!!! Yay!

theclubber wrote: ... And with my purchase, it is back in the Top 20!!! You are welcome, Naked Cupcake!

It's going to be the same fight as it was last week - No one left to play with vs. Natural Instinct vs. Fresh Cake, along with Odd Bear Out this week too. All four are really close in numbers, so as it is right now, each sale bounces one up and another one down.

Cooler than You is further back in numbers ... last week, it had a daily sales rate of under 15, which really dropped it in ranks. To move up anywhere, it's going to have to make up for all those lost sales.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
theclubber wrote:I've waited 41 weeks, but I finally got it. I have been waiting for 'Fresh Cake' to be in the (Lana... Lana... Lana... LANA!) Danger Zone to finally make the purchase. And with my purchase, it is back in the Top 20!!! You are welcome, Naked Cupcake!

Thanks theclubber! you are awesome!

Narfcake

If anyone is wondering how many more per day If I Only Had a Brain would have to sell to make it to #1 ... it would take 478 more per day. The daily sales rate right now is 556 vs. 78.

With the 4 having caught up to Metrognome's DSR, it's now a five-way fight for three spots, which only raises the bar yet again for the shirts ranked 23rd and lower.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
kldakey wrote:Where are you Ramyb?? I've looked and looked for your entries. I miss you. You always make me laugh

He must be on vacation or something... no entries two derbies it a row, pretty unusual.

I know he's had his share of conflict with the shirt.woot! community but he's still a good designer and I hope he's back with more shirts soon.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
novastarj wrote:He must be on vacation or something... no entries two derbies it a row, pretty unusual.

I know he's had his share of conflict with the shirt.woot! community but he's still a good designer and I hope he's back with more shirts soon.

He tends to be absent in the summer time, though he'll pop in now and then. I'm not certain why but I assume he's either busy at the summer anime conventions and/or the end of school.

klynb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klynb
walmazan wrote:Looks my cake have a chance to survive another week!!! Yay!

As well it should; I bought a backup, not that mine is anywhere near worn out.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Narfcake wrote:It's going to be the same fight as it was last week - No one left to play with vs. Natural Instinct vs. Fresh Cake, along with Odd Bear Out this week too. All four are really close in numbers, so as it is right now, each sale bounces one up and another one down.

Will probably do what I can to help the naked cupcake tomorrow. It's a bit too saccharine sweet for my taste, but my sister's birthday is Saturday, and she can pull of "cute" far better than I can ...

flipflopgirl81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flipflopgirl81
theclubber wrote:I have been waiting for 'Fresh Cake' to be in the (Lana... Lana... Lana... LANA!) Danger Zone...

ha. Nice. And that nude little Fresh Cake...I mean..."That's how you get ants!"

Narfcake

endangeredomega wrote:Will probably do what I can to help the naked cupcake tomorrow. It's a bit too saccharine sweet for my taste, but my sister's birthday is Saturday, and she can pull of "cute" far better than I can ...

Opt for the overnight ... the free SnailPost would probably take at least a week.

As for being too sweet ... well, it does attract the gals. ^_^

endangeredomega

Narfcake wrote:As for being too sweet ... well, it does attract the gals. ^_^

However, not all of us are into girls. ;)

Narfcake

The fight NOT to be #21 and #22 sure kept up over the weekend ... the same five shirts kept trading spots, as if my calculations are correct, their DSR are within decimals of each other.

15. Nevermore - 36878
16. It Came Out Of Nowhere - 27750
17. The Last Cupcake - 2113
18. Fresh Cake - 12595
19. Odd Bear Out - 4296
20. No one left to play with - 7215

21. Metrognome - 2886
22. Natural Instinct - 5030

23. Cooler Than You - 5521
24. They Call Me ... Tim - 4480
25. Eatser Bunny - 1658

The two stalwarts have been showing weakness ... if this keeps up, their days may be due before the end of spring. 23rd and lower ... it's going to be a tough fight. If my calculations are correct, it'd take #23 an additional 22 shirts to just move up one spot based on the present sales. Who knows how many more will sell in the next 2 hours ...

bluejester

Narfcake wrote:The fight NOT to be #21 and #22 sure kept up over the weekend ... the same five shirts kept trading spots, as if my calculations are correct, their DSR are within decimals of each other.

15. Nevermore - 36878
16. It Came Out Of Nowhere - 27750
17. The Last Cupcake - 2113
18. Fresh Cake - 12595
19. Odd Bear Out - 4296
20. No one left to play with - 7215

21. Metrognome - 2886
22. Natural Instinct - 5030

23. Cooler Than You - 5521
24. They Call Me ... Tim - 4480
25. Eatser Bunny - 1658

The two stalwarts have been showing weakness ... if this keeps up, their days may be due before the end of spring. 23rd and lower ... it's going to be a tough fight. If my calculations are correct, it'd take #23 an additional 22 shirts to just move up one spot based on the present sales. Who knows how many more will sell in the next 2 hours ...

Thanks for the break down, it just adds a whole new layer of interesting break down to the reckoning. I
I'd say this is now one of the most interesting reckonings since "Imposter" finally went to t-shirt Hades with "Skate Town" and the horrific "Eye on you" shirt.

Narfcake

In the last 75 minutes ...

14. Nevermore - 36880 (+2)
15. -
16. It Came Out Of Nowhere - 27751 (+1)
17. The Last Cupcake - 2114 (+1)
18. Metrognome - 2890 (+4)
19. Fresh Cake - 12598 (+3)
20. Odd Bear Out - 4299 (+3)

21. No one left to play with - 7217 (+2)
22. Natural Instinct - 5035 (+5)

23. Cooler Than You - 5524 (+3)
24. They Call Me ... Tim - 4484 (+4)
25. Eatser Bunny - 1659 (+1)

bluejester

Come on "No One Left to Play With," pull free of the danger zone!

Narfcake

bluejester wrote:Come on "No One Left to Play With," pull free of the danger zone!

Buy one. It probably will.

As I said earlier, all five have DSR's that are decimals from each other, so practically each sale is a bump in position.

Edit: If it's any time for the five artists to be buying up their own shirts to bump them up, THIS IS IT!

Narfcake

Another snapshot of sales ...

14. Nevermore - 36880 (+0)
15. -
16. It Came Out Of Nowhere - 27752 (+1)
17. The Last Cupcake - 2114 (+0)
18. Natural Instinct - 5040 (+5)
19. Odd Bear Out - 4301 (+2)
20. Metrognome - 2890 (+0)

21. No one left to play with - 7218 (+1)
22. Fresh Cake - 12598 (+0)
23. Cooler Than You - 5524 (+0)
24. They Call Me ... Tim - 4485 (+1)
25. Eatser Bunny - 1659 (+0)

endangeredomega

Just did my part to bump the dancing cupcake out of danger. Don't know if it will hang on for another 13 minutes though ...