fuzzzydunlop wrote:mad tracing skillz?

Nice!

soupfinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soupfinger

What happened to the shirt called "The Birds"? I don't see it listed anymore

akirahatesyou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akirahatesyou
Re: Silence is Silver!

Oh my goodness! I laughed so hard I cried. I *REALLY* wish this weren't rejected.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. -Paul Fix

hankescu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankescu
Re: They came from the stars

Great graphic image, but it doesn't say Silver Screen to me.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Zagazoo wrote:Huh, what about the first one do you like better out of curiosity? Is it the terrified face? Cuz I kind of miss it

When is the most opportune time to submit, ASAP?

It doesn't matter if it's submitted early or not, and has more to do with the fact that you have a strong design. That being said, the limitations that have been previously noted are, in fact, more likely to get you the axe than low votes. Woot will not print at the bottom of the tee as you've shown it. They don't have the capability (or - and more likely - they don't want to offer that option due to adjusting the tee positions for adequate printing).

It would be best if you try to rework this in a way that doesn't show it at the bottom of the tee. And don't be discouraged by "cute" or "tentacles are overdone" or whatever BS is spewed. This is more about having fun and less about winning. Sure it's fun to win, but once you get to the point where it's only about winning, the desire to do something you'd wear and instead, try to fit the mold of every other tee that prints, you lose your style. Stay true to yourself.

As it is, I thought this was a 2nd submission by awesome tee designer Omnitarian. You show some similar techniques. Do what you like, follow the woot guidelines, and you'll be printed in no time.

Oh, and don't sign your designs. They will get axed for unnecessary text. Don't worry, woot will make sure you get your name right, if and when you win.

radharose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radharose
Re: All's quiet on the Western front

I get the feeling that the cowboy is settling in near the campfire for the night, and that his horse is just outside of the frame, grazing. He's lounging atop the saddle, rather than sit in the dirt. I think that if you spread out the flaps of the saddle, as if it were sitting on the flat ground, rather than a barrel-shaped horse, it might make more sense. (If that was the idea. What do I know, maybe you wanted an invisible horse.)

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Soak the Witch!

I SO love your artwork!

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

SnowQueenVT

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnowQueenVT
Re: Merlette

LOve this Paige! I would totally wear it!
I have been looking at birds flying through the air for a few weeks now wanting to draw / paint them and capture their beautiful flight, maybe we are psychically connected and you just did it for me?
Whew, now I don't have to do it and can cross it off my list!Thanks babe.

http://www.wix.com/scottgreenip/snowqueenvt

adorabrooke

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adorabrooke
adorabrooke wrote:Even better. Fantastic!

I really hope this makes it! I know a few Pin-Up models who would love to sport this.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
hankescu wrote:Great graphic image, but it doesn't say Silver Screen to me.

Your design must be a classic (and we're calling "classic" pre-1960) movie element

The idea here, is that these designs should be an element of classic film, they don't have to look like a classic film. What says classic sci-fi, more than flaying saucers?

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: 20k

Apologies for bluntness, but my first reaction when this loaded on the screen was 'what the hell is that?' Took me several seconds to sort it all out. There's a lot going on here - pretty busy. I would suggest simplifying that splashy stuff, removing the texture from the background, and refining the lines of the sub so the eye doesn't have to work so hard to make it out.

paigeg

fuzzzydunlop wrote:this looks great, but I think those clouds are photographs. Isn't that a big no-no here?

It is. But I think this is primarily made up of well-composed stock vectors. Virtually none of it looks hand-drawn. I'm not putting it down - it's a good composition and attractive overall. Just 'splaining that pretty much all of the elements here originated as photos or drawings that became open-source vector art, like this, and this.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
creativehack wrote:Like
but,is he missing a handlebar?

It's there. He's just standing in front of it.

paigeg

Re: Letter to Mr Caligari

You really pulled that style off - good job! But why Mr. Caligari?

paigeg

Re: Last Glimpse of Light

I think I prefer this over the second version - better comp, simpler, less cartoonish. But still too low on the shirt.

paigeg

cdrewlow wrote:Thought you might like to know you signature link is sending me to "Steamboat Swampy".

Oh, and I think your shirt is pretty sweet, too. The blinds are a nice touch.

Whoops! Signature fail. Fixed it!
And thanks!

thegambler311

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thegambler311
bassanimation wrote:Actually, the characters look quite a bit different from the official Futurama designs, so it should be fine. The characters you see on the shirt are inspired by the real ones, but their looks are very different.

Copyright comes into play when you use the real designs themselves, or do not make significant changes to the designs. The robot and woman are in a completely different style from the cartoon. It actually took me a moment to figure out the reference. At first I was like "Whuu, the girl looks like she only has one eye! Wait a second....I see what you did there..." :P

Then why didn't the same apply to this one?

paigeg

llandar wrote:It's not so much the rejectionator being literal as the rejectionator wanting to spare us a potential lawsuit.

Yeah, I know. Don't have to like it, tho. The dude's been dead for decades, after all. And charicature shouldn't be grounds for suit. Sorry, I'll quit my grumbling. But I do love the shirt.

paigeg

Re: The Seven Samurabbits

All the wrangling aside, I must say that the rejectionator is confusing me this week. I frequently use photos, then do a trace on a transparent layer. This week, in fact. Three separate photos were used for reference. I merged the lines of two pics of women, and altered my trace over the photo of a bird to get it the way I wanted it. Then the photos get ditched and I work on the details. Is this wrong? I fail to see the issue, even if this design was traced. A trace becomes unique art as you add/alter details. And I don't consider it a no-no, any more than the fogged shirt that's a compilation of vectors - no drawing at all.
Urk, I'm grumpy this morning.

nocturnx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nocturnx
crevelingma wrote:Like it, but are the legs screwed up?

Yes, good catch. Looks like the back leg is twisted around and should not be in front of the other leg.

paigeg

Re: The Good Old Days

Love the drawing. I think the three elements are kindof just floating on the shirt, without and background or floor to tie them together. But I do love the old nag.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
paigeg wrote:All the wrangling aside, I must say that the rejectionator is confusing me this week. I frequently use photos, then do a trace on a transparent layer. This week, in fact. Three separate photos were used for reference. I merged the lines of two pics of women, and altered my trace over the photo of a bird to get it the way I wanted it. Then the photos get ditched and I work on the details. Is this wrong? I fail to see the issue, even if this design was traced. A trace becomes unique art as you add/alter details. And I don't consider it a no-no, any more than the fogged shirt that's a compilation of vectors - no drawing at all.
Urk, I'm grumpy this morning.

I think the rule of thumb is that it's OK to trace your own photos, and it's not OK to trace others' photos.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
creativehack wrote:Like
but,is he missing a handlebar?

Yeah it is located behind him. I do see where you can make that mistake.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I feel I've been scolded for my response.
Allow me to clarify my position.

JadenKale wrote:It doesn't matter if it's submitted early or not, and has more to do with the fact that you have a strong design.

Theoretically, you are correct, statistically, it doesn't work out that way. A Monday submission stands little chance of winning:

tgentry wrote:It's not the only way to win. Designing an awesome shirt that a large amount of people want to wear trumps getting a shirt in on Friday morning every time. The only time a fantastic shirt probably can't get printed is when you're talking Monday or Tuesday. The people that tend to make the most popular shirts sub on Fri. morning because they're wise like that. But you could take "If I Only Had a Brain" and sub it on Sun. night and it would still print. It's the shirt, not when it was subbed (unless it was subbed on Monday or Tuesday, in which case it was when it was subbed).

(ironically, seeing your submission troubles for "shirt titles reinterpreted" prompted me to post that thread, however misguided. At least some good discussion came of it)

And don't be discouraged by "cute" or "tentacles are overdone" or whatever BS is spewed. This is more about having fun and less about winning. Sure it's fun to win, but once you get to the point where it's only about winning, the desire to do something you'd wear and instead, try to fit the mold of every other tee that prints, you lose your style. Stay true to yourself.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. For the record, I never bashed "cute" I have several "cute" shirts. I was asked my personal preference in this particular case, and I replied why I liked the original submission over the second one.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

pflieger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pflieger
kevincrimi wrote:This is my first woot shirt, so I hope I didn't miss something.

I must have it!

nelso273

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nelso273
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:Awesome shirt and idea. However...even though it's a parody, of sorts, of the candy "commercials" before movies, I'm not so sure this fits the theme.

The theme is "silver screen", specifically, old-timey movies. This nostalgia is exactly what I think about when I think of old movies. This fits the theme perfectly, much like a picture of classically uniformed ushers or kids watching a drive-in movie on top of a roof for free would.

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Smoke Screen

this is good, I love it!

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: The Seven Samurabbits

I don't understand why this was rejected I see so many images out there that look like the original with very minor changes the Marilyn Monroe and such. That sux I really like this and I love your inspiration for the design. I almost did the same thing as stated in the forum. I even change my design for my own submission based on what happened here.

I have 1st edition Yojimbo and I own a copy of Seven Samurai.

{{volmod edit: no advertising derby designs in your comments. Please keep derby submission ads in your signature. Thank you.}}

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Cheap Seats

This is simply astounding. Love the way you did the overlapping colors. GMV.

blinddog3d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
Re: THE Real Wild ONE

Yeah, baby, yeah!

Vote!

This is
Hotness!

blinddog3d

Re: Silver Screen Samurai

U Go Grrl.
Gr8 design! Love it!
GMV+1
-BlindDog3D

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
thegambler311 wrote:Then why didn't the same apply to this one?

The faces of the characters in that shirt look almost identical (albeit a little less cleanly rendered) to the real Simpsons characters. There is no mistaking who the characters are due to the design of them being so similar to the official images. In Robbie and Kasey's shirt above, the designs of the robot and woman are significantly different from the official Futurama characters. There is a reference and similarity, but they do not look exactly like the cartoon art like in the example you've linked to.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
blinddog3d wrote:Nice!

Did you just admit to tracing?

Man....first Santa, then the Rapture, now this...

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

shinobamoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinobamoon
Re: No Ticket

Absolutely amazing! It would be great to see this design win and set a standard for this site's derbies. Great job!

blinddog3d

capedcrusader514 wrote:Congratulations you found the reference! I beg you to try show that it's a direct translation. I'll draw you under the table.

Why would you draw me under a table? Did you have something in mind?

You're really good, though, it looks "JUST LIKE IT!"
BlindDog3D

shinobamoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shinobamoon
Re: Frankie's Revenge

great design! I hope you win!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
blinddog3d wrote:U Go Grrl.
Gr8 design! Love it!
GMV+1
-BlindDog3D

Thanks.

sunnyheadcase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnyheadcase

Wish he was standing in front of a real motorcycle and not a big wheel, but I still dig it

seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
Re: Camera

make it three colors (the negative spaces being white or cream) and put it on slate? I think it would do fine then.

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

lilaviel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilaviel
aswati wrote:Ooppps!! Why is that? I figure from the earlier post, this image looks like a character from a movie. The idea behind the man in a bowler hat with the roll on his face comes from "The Son of Man"- the Magritte painting. I didn't intend it to look like a character from any movie - that is purely coincidental!

The gradients. But, I could be wrong.