kevincrimi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevincrimi
flemtone wrote:I like it.

I really, really like it.

Great first submission! Definitely right up there and, by rights, should be fogging.

I gotta tell ya, though - the thing that drew me to the thumbnail first was your 'vote' text, using the NxNW arrows. That absolutely iced the cake for me. It's those small details that make a great artist.

Well played indeed, sir! Looking forward to seeing more from you in the future. If it doesn't print here, please keep us informed if this design prints elsewhere.

Thanks so much. I'm glad you picked up on the font. I was worried no one would even get the movie reference! I'll definitely have to start on thursdays now to get them in earlier.

Check out my Derby Shirt!

kevincrimi

Re: Here's lookin' at you silver screen...

Just for clarification, did this get rejected because it has the entire shirt in the thumbnail or because the two goats are separated?

I just ask because a lot of the designs will add in "vote" or "click" into the thumbnail which technically, makes those different than the shirt design as well.

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

Thanks for the BLA!

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
Re: across the sunset

I'm shocked and bummed to see this on the edge of the fog. It's my fave.

deiden26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deiden26
Re: No Ticket

This design is fairly simple. There doesn't seem to be much too it. Why do I love it so much?

Glad to see it's in the fog, and of corse it's GMV

iminderman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iminderman
kevincrimi wrote:Thanks so much. I'm glad you picked up on the font. I was worried no one would even get the movie reference! I'll definitely have to start on thursdays now to get them in earlier.

One of my favorite movies of all time! Instant 'I want one' I doubt it will make the cloud, but hoping for an editor's choice. VERY NICE!

kevincrimi

iminderman wrote:One of my favorite movies of all time! Instant 'I want one' I doubt it will make the cloud, but hoping for an editor's choice. VERY NICE!

Yes unfortunately my little Cary Grant seems to be running out of steam. He's run a long way considering I submitted rather late.

Thanks a lot for the vote.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The Mooring

Bummed to see this drop out of the fog....

move along

SterlingCooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SterlingCooper
j5 wrote:Bummed to see this drop out of the fog....

let's get it back in!

jaellehanako

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaellehanako
pastorroy wrote:LOL

Sure, laugh at your stolen art.

sstrungis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sstrungis
j5 wrote:You have to have made a Woot purchase to qualify to vote.

Absolutely right. Members can submit. Customers can vote.

S

sstrungis

striker138 wrote:I would guess because it looks like the chair, camera, etc, each look like a photo that was traced via illustrator. I'm not saying they are, but that's the way it looks, and the rejectionator only cares about how things appear.

I have got to protest some. You mean to tell me that artists here NEVER use a reference or a livetrace? Or is the trick to make it look like a live trace never happened? Artists of any stripe use refs all the time.

sstrungis

sstrungis wrote:Absolutely right. Members can submit. Customers can vote.

S

This was my first entry. I'm so pleased that folks seem to like my work.

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury
Re: No Ticket

If I can't arrange for a pair of paper 3d glasses to accompany each shirt, I've found a company that will send anybody a free pair in exchange for a self-addressed, stamped envelope: http://www.3dglassesonline.com/contact/free-sample-request

This is the model I'm basing my color scheme on -- which means I've changed the blue/red on the sep file to red/cyan, and plugged in the Pantone colors given me by my contact at the glasses place (Pantone Warm Red and PMS 333, if you were wanting to play along at home). Hope that satisfies everybody, should I make it onto the medal stand :>

jaellehanako

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaellehanako
Re: Forbidden Future

Here's hoping no one gets sued over this... it looks amazing.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138
sstrungis wrote:I have got to protest some. You mean to tell me that artists here NEVER use a reference or a livetrace? Or is the trick to make it look like a live trace never happened? Artists of any stripe use refs all the time.

Woot frowns upon using straight live traces. I am sure if you used a trace, and cleaned it up, and recolored it, or whatever, it would be completely passable. I see shirts all the time that look like they use traces in one form or another, but they are typically reworked to the point they don't look it.

j5

striker138 wrote:Woot frowns upon using straight live traces. I am sure if you used a trace, and cleaned it up, and recolored it, or whatever, it would be completely passable. I see shirts all the time that look like they use traces in one form or another, but they are typically reworked to the point they don't look it.

Which works as long as the artist keeps quiet about it

move along

j5

sstrungis wrote:Done in Illustrator. No pixels, no photorealism. Heck the magnifier was my own art done originally in Blender and altered for use in this design.

If the magnifier is your own art, whence came the rest of the objects? (I'm looking at you, hat)

move along

burtonrider404

quality posts: 0 Private Messages burtonrider404

I like this shirt mostly because it doesn't feature cartoony looking mice, penguin, rabbits, monsters, etc.

GREAT first design. One vote from me.

Stay classy, KEVINCRIMI.

angelessence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angelessence
Re: Let's all go to the laboratory!

This shirt made me smile the day before my mcat. I hope this wins!!!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
j5 wrote:Bummed to see this drop out of the fog....

This is all your fault J5!!! I could have subbed a windup sporting 3D glasses and been sittin' pretty in fogsville right now

droopbomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages droopbomb

Hey thanks!

thatrobert wrote:

• Congratulations on winning a Best Loser Award!
  • This is not SPAM.
  • Winning a BLA does NOT mean this shirt won't print -- I'm hoping it does.
  • Your one and only gift is this crappy little badge in your shirt thread. Enjoy.
  • Let it be printed on every t-shirt in this land on the finest of cottons and the hippest of brands.

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: It Came From the Future!

Oh my! Thanks so much to everyone for the votes and comments! Also thanks Thatrobert and Spiritgreen for the Best Loser badge. I'm really happy to see this design get so much support. I know printing is a super long shot, but I still have my fingers crossed. =P

kevincrimi

creativehack wrote:link to image:
http://www.zumodrive.com/share/cGWUY2ZkNG

HAHAAH HOLY CRAP

my favorite scene in the directors cut

verminbury

kevlar51 wrote:This is all your fault J5!!! I could have subbed a windup sporting 3D glasses and been sittin' pretty in fogsville right now

I'm aware that I'm riding the novelty train to wherever it takes me in this derby. I just wanted to let you know that I really liked the line work and shirt placement with your design.

No hard feelings, I hope, and I look forward to crossing swords with you in the next derby :>

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
imadonut wrote:I love it. It stands out far and above the rest.

which isn't hard to do when someone else already created an iconic image for you to appropriate sans commentary or difference.

loubriccant

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loubriccant
Re: They came from the stars

At the very least, I hope this gets an honorable mention!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
verminbury wrote:I'm aware that I'm riding the novelty train to wherever it takes me in this derby. I just wanted to let you know that I really liked the line work and shirt placement with your design.

No hard feelings, I hope, and I look forward to crossing swords with you in the next derby :>

Haha, no hard feelings at all; these things happen. My 3D glasses comment wasn't a swipe at your design; sorry if it looked that way.

And thanks for the compliment!

loubriccant

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loubriccant
verminbury wrote:If I can't arrange for a pair of paper 3d glasses to accompany each shirt, I've found a company that will send anybody a free pair in exchange for a self-addressed, stamped envelope: http://www.3dglassesonline.com/contact/free-sample-request

This is the model I'm basing my color scheme on -- which means I've changed the blue/red on the sep file to red/cyan, and plugged in the Pantone colors given me by my contact at the glasses place (Pantone Warm Red and PMS 333, if you were wanting to play along at home). Hope that satisfies everybody, should I make it onto the medal stand :>

But who will give glasses to everyone I meet while wearing the shirt? Deal breaker?

wefedizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wefedizzle
roofoo wrote:Thanks!

BTW, for those who don't get the reference:

Me Likey. Makes me think of Monster Squad too

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
sstrungis wrote:I have got to protest some. You mean to tell me that artists here NEVER use a reference or a livetrace? Or is the trick to make it look like a live trace never happened? Artists of any stripe use refs all the time.

Reference means "I looked at it to make sure it looks right." While many artists create things straight from their mind or memory, many artists will usually use many of these. It is called a reference because you "refer" to it.

Copying an image, whether freehand or, worse, through live trace, isn't really art in any viable sense. Art involves creation. Xerox machines aren't artists. But then, neither are forgers. It's great if you can replicate the Mona Lisa. Good for you, skillboy powerhead. But you're not DaVinci. That's why museums don't regularly have high profile forgery galleries.

To put reference in a clearer contrast: I can't write a book on the civil war by picking and choosing parts of Shelby Foote's trilogy, quoting them, and linking them with conjunctions and short phrases, even if I cite every quote. I need to add my own commentary, make connections between sources, and create a new book. I "refer" to the earlier ones to enforce my individual argument. I do not simply handwrite someone else's words in a different script.

verminbury

loubriccant wrote:But who will give glasses to everyone I meet while wearing the shirt? Deal breaker?

You could always mount your pair of 3d glasses, facing outward, to a wire framework mounted on your shoulders. That way, each new person could walk up to you, lean forward until their face touched the nosepiece, and then be happily on their way.

Or, if you wanted to point everyone to where they can get their own 3d goodies, I'd be very grateful, and so would woot. The free-glasses site, maybe a little less so :>

roofoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roofoo
j5 wrote:If the magnifier is your own art, whence came the rest of the objects? (I'm looking at you, hat)

and revolver. :P

godlyoverlord

quality posts: 0 Private Messages godlyoverlord
grishfish55 wrote:Great shirt, i would wear it! But please get rid of that faint square around the theater, and it would look MUCH better

the faint square is not actually a part of the shirt. it was in the shirt template to denote the printing area and i didn't think to get rid of it as this is my first ever derby entry.

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
osmosismom wrote:This is great, excellent, rather. But the really long sword kept me from laughing- it's not good

Thanks for the comment. The really long sword was intended to be part of the joke, as in, "Your sword may be really, ridiculously long, but it's no match for a six-shooter."
Sorry it didn't work for you.

sasham62

Re: Squids... who needs 'em!

The text here doesn't really seem incidental, but rather the point of the shirt.

sasham62

loubriccant wrote:But who will give glasses to everyone I meet while wearing the shirt? Deal breaker?

Yeah, I gotta say, I don't walk around with 3-D glasses most of the time.
And without them, most 3-D shirt designs are a little headache-inducing.

sasham62

Re: Merlette

This is very nicely done.

sasham62

Re: All's quiet on the Western front

I love how you did the shadings on this, so that it looks 3-dimensional in a 2-dimensional space, like a Pixar cartoon.
And the floating saddle doesn't bother me one bit. Like someone else said, he's taken the saddle off the horse for the night and is sitting on it, strumming his guitar.
I'm also not bothered by the proportions, since it's done in a cartoon style. It still manages to look like a person.
Nice job.

jamesclaflin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesclaflin
Re: Silver Screen Scarlet

LOVE IT!!