WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Red is the color of summer: think fresh strawberries, juicy watermelon, plump tomatoes, smoky sweet barbecue sauce (outside of the Carolinas), and charred flesh on a grill. Or maybe your shoulders if you forget the sunblock. So this week capture the very essence of the color red. It's bold, it's aggressive, it's warm, it's a mainstay on the flags of nations and uniforms of sports teams around the world. If that helps. Other than that, go wild! Within these rules, of course:

Your design MUST be either on a red (yes, Cranberry counts as red) shirt OR use only red ink.
No text.

Quality Posts

thatrobert

quality posts: 29 Private Messages thatrobert

I'm reddy for this.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

can we use different shades of red ink, or just one color?

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Finally, that Redd Foxx shirt I've always wanted to design will become a reality!

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
ochopika wrote:can we use different shades of red ink, or just one color?

this... need to clarify please.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
midgerock wrote:this... need to clarify please.

it sounds like if your design is on a red shirt you can go crazy with ink colors or if you choose another shirt color you have to use just red ink.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Do I suspect a white and blue to follow as #204 and #205?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

bellarific

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
thatrobert wrote:I'm reddy for this.

Buh nuh nuh NAH NAH buh nuh nuh nuh nuh NAH NAH

I started singing 2 Unlimited when I read your comment.

jmmbell1987

quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
j5 wrote:Do I suspect a white and blue to follow as #204 and #205?

One of the best film trilogies ever!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

If you're on a non-red shirt, you can use multiple shades of red, but only red. If you decide to push it too far into ranges of orange or purple you may run afoul of the rejectionator. As always how much is too much orange or purple is subjective so if you want to avoid headaches just stick with reds that are obviously red. Pink is an acceptable shade of red.

And yes, if you have a red or cranberry shirt you can use any colors you want, but there should be some kind of connection to "red" beyond just the shirt color. See previous color derbies for some idea about how this works.

parrotworks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages parrotworks
tgentry wrote:If you're on a non-red shirt..

I'm hearing you right? We can use other shirt colors? Black, greys, white?

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
parrotworks wrote:I'm hearing you right? We can use other shirt colors? Black, greys, white?

Yeah, if you use a shirt color other than red. The ink colors should be shades of red.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

this week's derby makes me SO MAD!!!

GRRRR!!!!!!!!!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg

So, I decided to Google red, for some inspiration. Interesting stuff. Though, at a quick glance, I thought the site was saying Erik the Red 'colorized' Greenland.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
tgentry wrote:... if you have a red or cranberry shirt you can use any colors you want, but there should be some kind of connection to "red" beyond just the shirt color..

Yay! Maybe I'll finally be able to get a cranberry shirt!!! Please???

j5

blk909 wrote:Yay! Maybe I'll finally be able to get a cranberry shirt!!! Please???

You can get one now. Donut Panic should still be available.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
j5 wrote:You can get one now. Donut Panic should still be available.

Cranberry shirts really are nice.

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
j5 wrote:You can get one now. Donut Panic should still be available.

And a link to it for those who don't feel like looking it up themselves.

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr
Jestik wrote:this week's derby makes me SO MAD!!!

GRRRR!!!!!!!!!

So mad you're seeing red? ;)

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

editing my post to make it look like I actually read the main post...

march2867

quality posts: 0 Private Messages march2867

How do I view past Derby colors?

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj

This brings back memories of one of my favorite derbies, #111: Blues. The proud derby that brought us "The Binge"! Hopefully we can get another top-notch shirt like that this time around.

Also, for reference, here's the only other "color" derby I'm aware of, Green (not including more specialized things like "Complimentary Colors").

j5

Narfcake wrote:And a link to it for those who don't feel like looking it up themselves.

You're such an enabler.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's my first design for this one "cardinal"

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

I really like that...but the drips/strings hanging off the bird are distracting.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
odysseyroc wrote:Here's my first design for this one "cardinal"

Wow you are fast!!!

odysseyroc

here's a version that's a little different. Which do you like better?

paigeg

odysseyroc wrote:here's a version that's a little different. Which do you like better?

I like the first one better. Love that bright contrast between the red and the blue.

joerkun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joerkun
odysseyroc wrote:here's a version that's a little different. Which do you like better?

The sunset one!

j5

I think the orange clashes with the cranberry.

ochopika

Staff

While I'm working on mah design, I'm wondering if many people like to wear red shirts. I don't look good in red, but maybe many other people like it. Would you (wooters) wear a red shirt, or would you prefer another color?

paigeg

I'm sitting here in my Year of the Place Mat (red) shirt and a pair of red Eurosteps. You'd think I'd be a bit more inspired. >sigh<

paigeg

ochopika wrote:While I'm working on mah design, I'm wondering if many people like to wear red shirts. I don't look good in red, but maybe many other people like it. Would you (wooters) wear a red shirt, or would you prefer another color?

I'm a redhead, so it's not my best color, though I do wear it. But I prefer red over cranberry, much like Ron Weasley. My favorite color is green. Sadly, I missed that derby.

tjbeyerl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjbeyerl
paigeg wrote:I like the first one better. Love that bright contrast between the red and the blue.

Ditto. I like this one a lot.

ochopika

Staff

odysseyroc wrote:Here's my first design for this one "cardinal"

I like the contrast of the blue in this one better than the sunset version, though they both look good.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
ochopika wrote:While I'm working on mah design, I'm wondering if many people like to wear red shirts. I don't look good in red, but maybe many other people like it. Would you (wooters) wear a red shirt, or would you prefer another color?

I don't wear red or cranberry. Sadly, since some of my favorite designs are on one or the other. And I like the colors--just don't get pulled out of the closet.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86

YES! Thank you, woot! I was just saying yesterday that I had no red shirts... and then this pops up the next day. It's like you read my mind, woot.

odysseyroc

I settled on this for my final design.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic

I got a more chump-ish design I am working on, but this is the first thing that came to mind. Thoughts?

jchristianreed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchristianreed

BIG question so I don't get the dreaded "Rejected" stamp! I have an idea having to do with sun burn and summer, on a red shirt of course. But all the examples given had to do with red food. Are we free to use any subject matter, so long as "red" is the primary color in the design?