melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86
Re: El Zorro

I love it! I think this is the only design so far in the derby I'd actually wear-- great idea!

ladyflyer88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyflyer88

Love the design!! Woot please keep it, I want it to win!!!!!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
JRWorkshop wrote:Really? That's just the most recent adaptation of the ORIGINAL Zorro. Written and created for somebody in the U.S.A almost 100 years ago. Not even mentioning that your excuse saying that 'El Cura' Hidalgo was called Fox (Which I doubt and you never mentioned in the first sub)
I Quote: "Zorro (Spanish for fox) is the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega (originally Don Diego Vega), a nobleman and master living in the Spanish colonial era of California."
" Don Diego Vega becomes Señor Zorro in the pueblo of Los Angeles in California "to avenge the helpless, to punish cruel politicians," and "to aid the oppressed.""
All quoted from the ONLY wikipedia page about the Zorro you tried to picture

for your enjoyment

As for choosing this film, it is also the one I chose as the basis for this design, so it is completely appropriate to be the one that I link to. I'm not sure I'm seeing the issue.

DantesHavok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DantesHavok

Zorro (Spanish for fox) is the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega (originally Don Diego Vega), a nobleman and master living in the Spanish colonial era of California.

Spanish colonial era of California. - Alta California

Alta California, or Upper California, was a province and territory in the Viceroyalty of New Spain and later a territory and department in independent Mexico.

unsweetener

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unsweetener

I want this shirt so much.

DantesHavok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DantesHavok
JRWorkshop wrote:Really? That's just the most recent adaptation of the ORIGINAL Zorro. Written and created for somebody in the U.S.A almost 100 years ago. Not even mentioning that your excuse saying that 'El Cura' Hidalgo was called Fox (Which I doubt and you never mentioned in the first sub)
I Quote: "Zorro (Spanish for fox) is the secret identity of Don Diego de la Vega (originally Don Diego Vega), a nobleman and master living in the Spanish colonial era of California."
" Don Diego Vega becomes Señor Zorro in the pueblo of Los Angeles in California "to avenge the helpless, to punish cruel politicians," and "to aid the oppressed.""
All quoted from the ONLY wikipedia page about the Zorro you tried to picture

Among classmates he was known el zorro, "the fox."

JRWorkshop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop
ramyb wrote:for your enjoyment

As for choosing this film, it is also the one I chose as the basis for this design, so it is completely appropriate to be the one that I link to. I'm not sure I'm seeing the issue.

Johnston Mc Culley NEVER used the history of Miguel Hidalgo & Costilla to create his fictional charcter, neither you to create this image.

Here we can ONLY find a fox (Zorro in spanish) with a Cape, a hat and a neddle in his mouth.

Tell me that kind of Fox is from Mexico. Is not.

Tell me that attire is Mexican. Is not. It's from Spain.

Nothing in this design is mexican or from mexican origin

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
Re: Hail to the Sun God

I've taken a two year hiatus from Woot and I figured it's about time to start submitting stuff again.

Dutchbunch5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dutchbunch5

Love this shirt. Please save it for another derby.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0
Re: What do you mean Roswell's in NEW Mexico?

Oh, I love traditional calaveras!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Lucha-wawa Poco Loco

Sick, slick halftones. Great work, you two!

goodlifegardens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goodlifegardens
kinzoku wrote:Zorro was of Spanish descent (of the Spain variety). And he lived in California. Perhaps he interacted with a few people who came up from Mexico to California in some of the stories, but that really doesn't make him Mexican.

(I really like the Isabel Allende adaptation of Zorro, in which he's part-Native American and part-Spaniard... still nothing to do with Mexico though. I feel this entry is a case of assuming Spanish-speaking = Mexican.)

If I remember my history correctly California WAS a part of Mexico at the time.

JRWorkshop

If you wanna use the conection of the Fox and Hidalgo use something Hidalgo used, did or said and put it on the shirt. This has nothing to do with him and is a disgrace you only cite it as a way to justify the rejection. No wonder that many people complain about your work ethic.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: DOOM SQUAD Los Muertos

Yay, two of my favorite Woot artists, together again! Simply awesome. Must have!

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Tortilla Origami

Can't believe I'm the only one to mention this thus far, but it seems as though the individual aspects of the design are too small to be distinguishable from any kind of distance. It wasn't until I clicked on the thumbnail to see what all the fuss was about that I had *any* idea what this design was. :/

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
taternuggets wrote:Collaboration between myself and Ignorant. With no nod toward Jeus for anything.

This makes me a little sad. Poor little guy.

Mondak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mondak

Is that a Charlie Brown Poncho?

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega

No amount of votes will make this design any more "Mexican" than it was when it was first rejected. As for the 'Alta California' argument ... AZ, NM, TX, etc. were all part of Mexican territory at some point also. Are designs referencing these areas/cultures all also fair game for this week's derby?

sasham62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasham62
Re: Building On Culture

A dancer showing how Mexican culture is built on its Mayan and Spanish roots.

3 colors on brown. Hope you enjoy.

potsy356

quality posts: 0 Private Messages potsy356
JRWorkshop wrote:Johnston Mc Culley NEVER used the history of Miguel Hidalgo & Costilla to create his fictional charcter, neither you to create this image.

Here we can ONLY find a fox (Zorro in spanish) with a Cape, a hat and a neddle in his mouth.

Tell me that kind of Fox is from Mexico. Is not.

Tell me that attire is Mexican. Is not. It's from Spain.

Nothing in this design is mexican or from mexican origin

If you have a problem with it, dont up vote it and leave the page. Youre not in charge here so stop trying to impress everyone trying to argue against ramyb's design. Im tired of all the pointless haters just bagging on his designs week after week. Hes vaguely referencing Mexican Independence and a hero who fought for it. Thats it, if you dont approve it, dont buy it.

Also great design ramyb. Nothing id wear but a friend of mine would love this :D

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Guadalupe Hidalgo

I think this is amazing my friend! I love this so much!

+1

JRWorkshop

ramyb wrote:for your enjoyment

The issue it's the image itself!!!
You're stating that Miguel Hidalgo was nicknamed 'El Zorro' and you did it as homage.

Have you seen images of Hidalgo himself? He didn't look like this fox at all!!

Ok, you don't have to pay homage by making a caricature of somebody. So, did Hidalgo used Cape and Cordobés hat? Neither in the pictures or here says that he was known for using that attire.

So what we have left? Just a fox using a traditional spaniard hat, that's all.

walmazan

Re: Frida Y Diego

this is so funny! I love it!

+1

sundbe10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sundbe10
Re: Hail to the Sun God

I took a two year hiatus from Woot so I figured now would be a good time to start submitting again. For those of you who voted for this already and your votes are gone, I had to resubmit because apparently I'm a little rusty and I messed up the color profile I was working with.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Guadalupe Hidalgo

Nice. I love the fade out.

amp8587

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amp8587
unsweetener wrote:I want this shirt so much.

I second that. The color choice for this is spot on!

walmazan

Re: Mexico D.F.

Me encanta Amarillo, espero que la puedas volver a subir!!!!

kiwiki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiwiki
potsy356 wrote:If you have a problem with it, dont up vote it and leave the page. Youre not in charge here so stop trying to impress everyone trying to argue against ramyb's design. Im tired of all the pointless haters just bagging on his designs week after week. Hes vaguely referencing Mexican Independence and a hero who fought for it. Thats it, if you dont approve it, dont buy it.

Also great design ramyb. Nothing id wear but a friend of mine would love this :D

Amen to this. I'm a relatively new customer to shirt.woot and have enjoyed ordering shirts and voting in the derbies, but this kind of hatred towards a talented artist turns me off of wanting to shop here.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Regardless of what Woot said, I'm kind of amazed that anyone would claim that the character of Zorro isn't heavily influenced by Mexican culture.

Really, guys? Really really?

petitefilou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petitefilou

I don't have a problem with the design, but if they rejected the first they should reject this one too. If they changed their minds, they should change the reason for the original rejection or un-reject it or SOMETHING.

This seems just inconsistent and silly, and frustrates me for reasons which have nothing to do with the artist and everything to do with woot's rubbish, inconsistent, opaque and seemingly randomly applied rejection policy.

JRWorkshop

geekfactor12 wrote:Regardless of what Woot said, I'm kind of amazed that anyone would claim that the character of Zorro isn't heavily influenced by Mexican culture.

Really, guys? Really really?

How?

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
runnerfrog13 wrote:This is kindof ignorant and offensive, like implying that you'll die if you drink the water in Mexico... plenty of people (notably the ENTIRE POPULATION) drink water there and are still alive.

It is only offensive if you choose to be offended. And the entire population does not drink the water. In some locations it really isn't safe so even locals don't drink it without sterilizing first.

cruelnv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cruelnv
endangeredomega wrote:No amount of votes will make this design any more "Mexican" than it was when it was first rejected. As for the 'Alta California' argument ... AZ, NM, TX, etc. were all part of Mexican territory at some point also. Are designs referencing these areas/cultures all also fair game for this week's derby?

So long as it is referencing a part of Mexico's history, then I don't see why not... Heck, I could see the Alamo being a design that would fit the same bill...

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any other user(s). Please keep in mind that these are only opinions and should not be inherently considered as factual statements. Thank you.

PCBconehead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PCBconehead
Re: Nacho Libre

I would trade my mother's lucky machete for this shirt!

walmazan

Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

This is more than amazing! I love it so much! great work!
+1

tjl2480

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjl2480

I like the design. Zorro is definitely influenced by Mexican culture, which is influenced by Spanish culture as well since they conquered Mexico. The problem may be that Zorro is an American construct. The costume, etc... were created by an American. The movies are American. You can tie the actual person to a Mexican priest but not the concept of Zorro as it is portrayed, since the character Zorro is more American culture.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: Hot Tamale

I'll just leave this here:
Hot Tamale

+1 for the always popular maiming of anthropomorphic food :D

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Fire maker, Rain bringer

Excellent styling, perfectly on theme, and a nice execution. GMV, Spirit.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

A collab with Kevlar51.

mymovinman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mymovinman
Re: Ay Chihuahua!

Swwet Work GMV +1