Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
AZGman wrote:So he won't know dentistry if he loses his house, boat, and office?

wait, he has a houseboat? that is so cool. way to go, D'name, having a Miami Vice type in the family!

Josephus

Iceback wrote:Looks like Virginia Beach is getting a lot of wind and rain.

looting too.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
Josephus wrote:looting too.

That is just truly sad.

In the end only kindness matters

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Iceback wrote:That is just truly sad.

I agree! What makes people think that's a good idea?

Beware the V'owls screech!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:wait, he has a houseboat? that is so cool. way to go, D'name, having a Miami Vice type in the family!

No, he has a house with two boats docked in the yard. One small to ski and one big enough to fish the ocean.

I would be a perfect second house.
Owning only one home that can be washed away, not great.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:No, he has a house with two boats docked in the yard. One small to ski and one big enough to fish the ocean.

soon three boats.

Iceback

KtCallista wrote:I agree! What makes people think that's a good idea?

Looting for food and water I can understand as was often the case in New Orleans, but this is a good case for the National Guard shooting if caught in the act.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:soon three boats.

So, did it pass you yet?
You still have internet.

How about you Joe?

We now have tornado warnings until 5am.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

KtCallista

Iceback wrote:Looting for food and water I can understand as was often the case in New Orleans, but this is a good case for the National Guard shooting if caught in the act.

Well sure, and there's the desperately need medical supplies which makes a good case too, but I can't think of an emergency that requires a plasma screen tv...

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

G'night.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
KtCallista wrote:Well sure, and there's the desperately need medical supplies which makes a good case too, but I can't think of an emergency that requires a plasma screen tv...

they need a big screen to watch the tv coverage after the storm, right?

wait - there is no electricity.

Guess they need it to watch cops after the electricity comes back on

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:G'night.

Sleep well. I hope things don't get too disruptive in your area. Would hate for the storm to keep Flash up all night.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:they need a big screen to watch the tv coverage after the storm, right?

wait - there is no electricity.

Guess they need it to watch cops after the electricity comes back on

umm yeah, something....

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
dontwantaname wrote:So, did it pass you yet?
You still have internet.

How about you Joe?

We now have tornado warnings until 5am.

Is Joe in Delaware? Some tornados have touched down there and NJ.

Rain and winds picking up here but still not bad yet. Worst part suppose to be about 4AM.

Josephus

still hitting DC pretty hard. we are getting stronger rain now,gusty winds. supposed to be the worst time, now until about 2 AM.

KtCallista

lplady wrote:Is Joe in Delaware? Some tornados have touched down there and NJ.

Rain and winds picking up here but still not bad yet. Worst part suppose to be about 4AM.

That sounds conductive to a poor nights sleep.

lplady

KtCallista wrote:That sounds conductive to a poor nights sleep.

We're not sleeping tonight...no chance. I'd like to know if a tornado is bearing down. lol

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

lplady wrote:Is Joe in Delaware? Some tornados have touched down there and NJ.

Joe is the DC area. Not sure what part.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

lplady

dontwantaname wrote:Joe is the DC area. Not sure what part.

Thanks. Our lights keep blinking and we are in the easiest part of the storm. Have a feeling they are going to go out before the brunt of it hits. Mayor is on tv now. Our river is suppose to crest 15 feet. Hasn't been that high since 1859. Not good, but could be worse.

Josephus

dontwantaname wrote:Joe is the DC area. Not sure what part.

Maryland. Northwest suburbs. power flickered a couple of minutes ago. gulp.

lplady

Josephus wrote:Maryland. Northwest suburbs. power flickered a couple of minutes ago. gulp.

Stay safe.

Edit: Mayor just said some electric could be out 10-14 days. ouch hope not or I'm coming to visit someone till it comes back on lol

kdccrosby

Josephus wrote:still hitting DC pretty hard. we are getting stronger rain now,gusty winds. supposed to be the worst time, now until about 2 AM.

Hope you keep your electricity and everything turns out with no damage!

Josephus

lplady wrote:Stay safe.

I think we're pretty safe. just, lots of trees around, and lots of power outages in the regions similar to us that have already seen the worst of it. I really kind of expect to lose power tonight, it's gonna depend on Pepco's speed of repair. Although, they spent a lot of money and time working on our neighborhood over the summer, put in new, taller, stronger-looking poles, trimmed trees back, moved some away fro m the trees somewhat. and just yesterday they were trimming more trees back in preparation for the hurricane.

kdccrosby

lplady wrote:Thanks. Our lights keep blinking and we are in the easiest part of the storm. Have a feeling they are going to go out before the brunt of it hits. Mayor is on tv now. Our river is suppose to crest 15 feet. Hasn't been that high since 1859. Not good, but could be worse.

Ditto to what I said to Joe - hope your power stays on and little damage.

And I actually slept through Ike - hard to believe but I guess I was really stressed with preparations, etc and crashed.

lplady

kdccrosby wrote:Ditto to what I said to Joe - hope your power stays on and little damage.

And I actually slept through Ike - hard to believe but I guess I was really stressed with preparations, etc and crashed.

Thank you. I'm amazed you slept through it. Were there tornados with Ike too?

kdccrosby

Josephus wrote:I think we're pretty safe. just, lots of trees around, and lots of power outages in the regions similar to us that have already seen the worst of it. I really kind of expect to lose power tonight, it's gonna depend on Pepco's speed of repair. Although, they spent a lot of money and time working on our neighborhood over the summer, put in new, taller, stronger-looking poles, trimmed trees back, moved some away fro m the trees somewhat. and just yesterday they were trimming more trees back in preparation for the hurricane.

That's good news that they have done all that work. Being without power after stinks.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Still just rain. Wind has picked up some. Looks impressive on the weather map. The eye looks due south of us right now.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

So glad everyone's okay so far. Haven't been able to keep up. Teaching the grandkids to play Parcheesi.

Everybody keep posting as long as you can so we know you're okay.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Josephus

kdccrosby wrote:That's good news that they have done all that work. Being without power after stinks.

They were getting hammered about having the worst response times in the industry. they are claiming to be working toward being on top, but right now, they'd be happy to make it to the median response times, I think. They took parts off the poles near our house that were from the early 1960s.

Iceback

Weather Channel is saying things don't look very good for L.I. tomorrow morning.The track is setting up for a worst case scenario.

kdccrosby

Josephus wrote:They were getting hammered about having the worst response times in the industry. they are claiming to be working toward being on top, but right now, they'd be happy to make it to the median response times, I think. They took parts off the poles near our house that were from the early 1960s.

well like Poof said, keep us posted as long as you can

kdccrosby

Iceback wrote:Weather Channel is saying things don't look very good for L.I. tomorrow morning.The track is setting up for a worst case scenario.

ruh roh.

This is such a weird storm the way it's moving along the coast instead of just going on shore.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

lplady wrote:Thank you. I'm amazed you slept through it. Were there tornados with Ike too?

Aren't you in the middle of it now?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Josephus

Iceback wrote:Weather Channel is saying things don't look very good for L.I. tomorrow morning.The track is setting up for a worst case scenario.

Long Island just looks like it is in trouble to me.

I saw a comment earlier tonight that 2 million people had evacuated from New York. That floored me.

little more rain coming down. still no sustained winds here. weird. speed of hurricane is picking up; ground travel speed, not wind speed.

edit: I think we're going to head to bed pretty soon. fingers crossed! good luck to d'name and her poor dentist pal. ;^)

I'll either be back in the morning,, or at some future time!

kdccrosby

lplady wrote:Thank you. I'm amazed you slept through it. Were there tornados with Ike too?

Not really. We were on the dirty side, and there was a lot of wind & rain, but not really tornados, thankfully.

Zea would have had it worse than me, she's closer to the coast than I am. I'm probably 30 minutes or so north of her.

kdccrosby

Josephus wrote:Long Island just looks like it is in trouble to me.

I saw a comment earlier tonight that 2 million people had evacuated from New York. That floored me.

little more rain coming down. still no sustained winds here. weird. speed of hurricane is picking up; ground travel speed, not wind speed.

edit: I think we're going to head to bed pretty soon. fingers crossed! good luck to d'name and her poor dentist pal. ;^)

I'll either be back in the morning,, or at some future time!

Night Joe! Fingers crossed we hear from you tomorrow morning.

kdccrosby

dontwantaname wrote:Aren't you in the middle of it now?

Are you getting rain yet? How's mom doing?

Gotta admit I'm worried about ya.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Let the skylight leak begin!
Wow, it might leak 15 hours. That will be interesting.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Iceback

Good night all and good luck to all in harms way.
Please check in frequently so we know you're ok.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:Are you getting rain yet? How's mom doing?

Gotta admit I'm worried about ya.

Real rain is here.

They are just talking about flooding and maybe I'll get water in the basement, but I'm nowhere near natural water that would flood.

Of course, knock out a few major roads and we are screwed.

Sister in law didn't stay in CT because of work on monday.
It looks like the city will be closed monday. Although there are streams and lakes up where she has her second home.

Looks like I'll definitely have mom tomorrow night too.

Too bad she isn't good friends with the inlaws. They could have had an old people sleep over.

May never see son again! All roads that flood between him and us.

The more I think about it, the more I think dentist is nuts.
He should have stayed with his son in Wisconsin I hope his dog is ok.
Sweet dog.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!