inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
sleekhare wrote:You guys are pretty down to earth - I need your opinion.

Came home today after lunch to see a neighbor mowing their lawn with a riding lawnmower. No big deal, right? Until I notice they're balancing a child that can't even be a year old on their knee while they do it.

Is it just me or is something distinctly unsafe with that action?

Yikes. I'm not even a parent but every bone of me screams stop that stop that now at the thought.

I'm just hanging out, really.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

sleekhare wrote:Every time I post about the weather where I am, I feel like a jerk. Either something's burning while we're getting all the rain, or the skies and temperatures are amazing, and someone elsewhere is having a drabby drab day.

(This is the newbie, baihei, btw. I'm deleting that account and just posting on this one.)

That is true.
I just found a helicopter shot of my son's college. It seems to be mostly under water. Good thing he graduated!
His grad school had flash flooding today and one parking lot flooded.

Which is better than your house.
Or NJ, which flooded. Dried out long enough for people to put out the damaged stuff for the garbage.
Then it flooded again.
This time the old furniture and garbage got added to the flood waters.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

sleekhare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleekhare

Should I call the cops and ask them what the laws are about ride-able mechanical sharp objects and babies? I know you can't drive a motor vehicle with a child on your lap...but this is Mississippi, as much as I hate to put it that way.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
sleekhare wrote:Every time I post about the weather where I am, I feel like a jerk. Either something's burning while we're getting all the rain, or the skies and temperatures are amazing, and someone elsewhere is having a drabby drab day.

(This is the newbie, baihei, btw. I'm deleting that account and just posting on this one.)

Don't worry some of us like hearing about weather in other places from the people experiencing it.

Make sure you tell No1 he likes it when you do.

In the end only kindness matters

Iceback

sleekhare wrote:Should I call the cops and ask them what the laws are about ride-able mechanical sharp objects and babies? I know you can't drive a motor vehicle with a child on your lap...but this is Mississippi, as much as I hate to put it that way.

Oh...Mississippi...I'm surprised the kid wasn't driving it then.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternoon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

We canned more pear preserves and made pear jelly. It is surprising how far a pint of hot pear jelly can spread....all over the chest freezer, down the wall behind it, on the floor under it. Hubby and I scrubbed and scrubbed. It slipped out of the tongs as I was taking it out of the water bath.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
sleekhare wrote:You guys are pretty down to earth - I need your opinion.

Came home today after lunch to see a neighbor mowing their lawn with a riding lawnmower. No big deal, right? Until I notice they're balancing a child that can't even be a year old on their knee while they do it.

Is it just me or is something distinctly unsafe with that action?

yes. assuming you have a normal workday job, if you can go home rite after lunch, you are in serious danger of being severely beaten.

sleekhare

no1 wrote:yes. assuming you have a normal workday job, if you can go home rite after lunch, you are in serious danger of being severely beaten.

Nothing about my life has ever been or could ever be considered "normal," if that makes you feel any better.

By the way, I'm told you'd be exceedingly happy to know the weather here is amazingly, outstanding beautiful today. Glad I can bring a smile to your face.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
sleekhare wrote:Nothing about my life has ever been or could ever be considered "normal," if that makes you feel any better.

By the way, I'm told you'd be exceedingly happy to know the weather here is amazingly, outstanding beautiful today. Glad I can bring a smile to your face.

Heat and humidity is supposed to blow away next week and proper September temperatures should arrive just in time for the fair. Well not the two local fairs this weekend, but the on in town next weekend. I hope the weathermen are right the school is downright uncomfortable, not all the buildings have AC.

Applied to work at the local library. Job doesn't close until the 16th, I hate waiting. Kinda excited about the prospect of doing the job it would be more social than anything I'm currently doing and I like the library and the people there (we go once a week, but since I do the school lunch thing I'm not there as much as I used to be). The job would not conflict at all with my other three jobs. - oh and I might get 1/2 insurance if I get the permanent position so working all those hours might actually include benefits, sorta.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

inkycatz wrote:Yikes. I'm not even a parent but every bone of me screams stop that stop that now at the thought.

Guy down the block had his toddler riding a big wheel type trike. In the street! He was walking 20 or more feet behind.
I'm in the suburbs, but only a few miles from NYC border. It is not a situation where you see a few cars a day.
We have a perfectly fine sidewalk.

Or, people letting toddlers or young kids run in parking lots. BUSY parking lots.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

sleekhare wrote:Should I call the cops and ask them what the laws are about ride-able mechanical sharp objects and babies? I know you can't drive a motor vehicle with a child on your lap...but this is Mississippi, as much as I hate to put it that way.

Mississippi? I can't even give advice. I'm a evil northerner. A NY northern.

It might get sticky if the guy finds out you called.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Iceback

dontwantaname wrote:It might get sticky if the guy finds out you called.

Like in put down his Marlboro and his can of Bud long enough to tell her to myofb?

AZGman

Weekend's s'pose to be relatively dry. May try to actually do something outside!

Lynnzoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynnzoi

was a beautiful day here

or so I hear

I slept all afternoon

AZGman

Been chilly in here lately.

Think I'll go wrap myself up in a nice warm movie or something.

g'night.

Lynnzoi

AZGman wrote:Been chilly in here lately.

Think I'll go wrap myself up in a nice warm movie or something.

g'night.

gee.....was it somethin I said?

nite AZ

sleekhare

I pop in and out of here as I do things, without much, if any, warning about when I'll be back.

When I return, I usually only pick one thought to reply to, 'cause I don't want to put a huge wall of text out there in your faces and risk completely derailing the conversation flow of someone else.

I suppose I could PM the others, so's they know I'm not ignoring them. But would any of you considered that creepy?

Lynnzoi

sleekhare wrote:I pop in and out of here as I do things, without much, if any, warning about when I'll be back.

When I return, I usually only pick one thought to reply to, 'cause I don't want to put a huge wall of text out there in your faces and risk completely derailing the conversation flow of someone else.

I suppose I could PM the others, so's they know I'm not ignoring them. But would any of you considered that creepy?

this thread survives on random thoughts

back in 'the old days' there could be several conversations going on at once

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Lynnzoi wrote:this thread survives on random thoughts

back in 'the old days' there could be several conversations going on at once

Exactly.

It's also okay to post replies to serveral posts in one post.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady

sleekhare wrote:I pop in and out of here as I do things, without much, if any, warning about when I'll be back.

Is this a neighbor you talk to or are friendly with? Actually, not him, but his wife. You might casually mention it in a conversation with her. That could put a stop to it.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
sleekhare wrote:the weather here is amazingly, outstanding beautiful today.

WILL THE MADNESS NEVER END?!?

pooflady

no1 wrote:WILL THE MADNESS NEVER END?!?

//just kinda warms the cockles of my heart//

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote://just kinda warms the cockles of my heart//

Doesn't he.
Mr sunshine!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Just started raining again here.

Iceback

No rain here

Actually predicting back to the 100 degree weather again next week.

pooflady

Iceback wrote:No rain here

Actually predicting back to the 100 degree weather again next week.

We're supposed to get into the 70s again. I'm excited.

pooflady

Still looking for fans and light kits. Now I'm finding my posts here when I Google.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Still looking for fans and light kits. Now I'm finding my posts here when I Google.

We replaced a few lights. Not expensive ones.
Oddly, the lights in the bathroom are in style again.
Because bathroom stuff rusts and gets wrecked, we ended up replacing it with almost the same thing.

I had stupid anxiety for nothing tonight. Which sort of went away after menopause was over. But not completely.
Not completely for nothing....but almost.

Mom's phone was busy all night. Did she not hang up right? Or some disaster made her drop it? . Called after 11 when she goes into the bedroom . Yep, she didn't hang the phone up right. She puts it away before bed, so it rang.

Pia

Hubby is going to DC on 9/11.
The CPA's have some big education thing. You need continuing education to keep the CPA. It is really just a big excuse to go someplace for a few days.
What jerk set it up in DC on 9/12???
Plus there is a high threat level in NYC that day too. Bridges this time. Gotta take 2 bridges to get from here to DC.

Or spend hours going through security for the plane.

At least the pill worked! Wish alcohol did.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:We replaced a few lights. Not expensive ones.
Oddly, the lights in the bathroom are in style again.
Because bathroom stuff rusts and gets wrecked, we ended up replacing it with almost the same thing.

I had stupid anxiety for nothing tonight. Which sort of went away after menopause was over. But not completely.
Not completely for nothing....but almost.

Mom's phone was busy all night. Did she not hang up right? Or some disaster made her drop it? . Called after 11 when she goes into the bedroom . Yep, she didn't hang the phone up right. She puts it away before bed, so it rang.

Pia

Hubby is going to DC on 9/11.
The CPA's have some big education thing. You need continuing education to keep the CPA. It is really just a big excuse to go someplace for a few days.
What jerk set it up in DC on 9/12???
Plus there is a high threat level in NYC that day too. Bridges this time. Gotta take 2 bridges to get from here to DC.

Or spend hours going through security for the plane.

At least the pill worked! Wish alcohol did.

Good luck to hubby.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

KtCallista

Wow you must all be used to me not being here, posted and then Orc said, lets go to Costco, so we went and that's a big ordeal in these parts. Survived. That's about all that can be said about that.

Oh well, since everyone was more focused on the weather than noticing I didn't stick around. Still hot and miserably, and desperately so down on the river.

sleekhare

pooflady wrote:Is this a neighbor you talk to or are friendly with? Actually, not him, but his wife. You might casually mention it in a conversation with her. That could put a stop to it.

It's actually the grandparents who are the offenders. The parents live right next to the grandparents. I've spoken to the mother and father once before. They're polite people. But I caught who I believe to be the grandmother giving me a bit of an evil eye the other day. I smiled and waved at her, but she sort'a just sniffed and walked away.

I think it's my clothing. No offense to Christians, but the some of the ones around here seem to think anything black leather is an indication of demon possession.

KtCallista

sleekhare wrote:It's actually the grandparents who are the offenders. The parents live right next to the grandparents. I've spoken to the mother and father once before. They're polite people. But I caught who I believe to be the grandmother giving me a bit of an evil eye the other day. I smiled and waved at her, but she sort'a just sniffed and walked away.

I think it's my clothing. No offense to Christians, but the some of the ones around here seem to think anything black leather is an indication of demon possession.

Grandparents can be the worst offenders when it comes to endangering kids. Odds are the parents may not have much power to stop them. There are classes about how to get grandparents up to date on stuff that is just no longer safe, sadly you can only teach those who want to learn.

Goodnight PWA, I gotta wake up Orc in 5 hours to go woodcutting and I'm sitting on his bed.

Iceback

Good morning all.

Lynnzoi

well that's a helluva thing to wake up to - a hot air balloon nearly nearly landed in my backyard. Fortunately they were able to get in to the cornfield next to me - which had just been cut yesterday - lucky for them!

pooflady

Lynnzoi wrote:well that's a helluva thing to wake up to - a hot air balloon nearly nearly landed in my backyard. Fortunately they were able to get in to the cornfield next to me - which had just been cut yesterday - lucky for them!

What fun!

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining, the birds are singing. What a nice change.

AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Already been out for coffee; gassed up the car, did some light grocery shopping, and cleaned up the kitchen. May take the rest of the day off!

sleekhare

Lynnzoi wrote:well that's a helluva thing to wake up to - a hot air balloon nearly nearly landed in my backyard. Fortunately they were able to get in to the cornfield next to me - which had just been cut yesterday - lucky for them!

Oh, how awesome. I'm glad they're all safe.

And good mornin'.

Lynnzoi

so I just put Advantix on Tanners and he has turned into a freak again. Slinking around the house, restless....pita. Have been using it on him for years, but this is the second time he has reacted to it. Gonna give him a happy pill and see if that calms him down.