HI there

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
klozitshoper wrote:HI there

Hi.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
pooflady wrote:Didn't Cruzer just do this? Or did they fly? But you've done this before, right?

If you meant me - heck no. I always flew. I know people who have done that drive, and they did not have too much good to say about it. I used to sit at the beach looking out at the Gulf and wish there were boat service.

klozitshoper

Happy BD KD - I know I am pretty late in posting, but it took me awhile to figure out whose was the birthday kid.

AZGman

Friday. No reason to be here for awhile.

Later . . . perhaps.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
AZGman wrote:Friday. No reason to be here for awhile.

Later . . . perhaps.

I'm babysitting a friend's kid, but actually that means I could actually get stuff done if I wanted since he's distracting all my kids.... hmm

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Kids are here, so pizza for dinner. Have the oldest telling me that dough is junk food...lol.

Made the dough in the processor this time, whiz BANG is that easy!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I swear shirt.woot's standards have gotten lax.
There are tons of off-topic entries this time around just sailing through.

Ah well. At least it's quiet in here.

move along

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Fixed grilled leeks for dinner. Not bad, but I think they could be better. Need to ask Mayvn. Never bought a leek in my life before today. Also grilled burgers with thick slices of real tomatoes! Yummy.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
KtCallista wrote:Happy Birthday kdc!!!!!! I hope it's a great one even though you have/had to go to work!

Tax here is 6%, on the other side of the border (edge of town) it goes up to 7%, but it fluctuates by city in that state, where Costco is it's only 6.5%

Cities have the ability to set their sales tax rate here. It is often raised in a certain area with a portion kicked back to the retailer as an incentive to build.

In the end only kindness matters

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:Fixed grilled leeks for dinner. Not bad, but I think they could be better. Need to ask Mayvn. Never bought a leek in my life before today. Also grilled burgers with thick slices of real tomatoes! Yummy.

Ask me what?

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:Ask me what?

I sliced in half, washed, cooked 3 minutes, ice water bath, dried, drizzled w/EVOO and salt & pepper. Grilled 2 minutes on each side. Found a recipe that says brush w/bacon drippings, grill, then brush w/balsamic vinegar. That sounds even better. Ever done them?

j5

pooflady wrote:Fixed grilled leeks for dinner. Not bad, but I think they could be better. Need to ask Mayvn. Never bought a leek in my life before today. Also grilled burgers with thick slices of real tomatoes! Yummy.

It's just like spring onions, right?

move along

pooflady

j5 wrote:It's just like spring onions, right?

I don't know.

pooflady

Oh, yeah, and a neighbor just brought me some fresh thyme. She has it wrapped in a damp paper towel and in a plastic bag. What do I do with it? I'm not sure I even have any recipes for fresh thyme. Or any thyme.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

leeks look like spring onions, but they are really big around. they are absolutely superb when cooked in soup. they add a super flavor, much more subtle than onions, and they just eat great from the soup if you cut them into coin shaped pieces. wonderful. also wonderful are celery root pieces cooked into soup. chopped into dice-sized chunks, or a bit bigger, they add a terrific celery flavor, much more so than celery does, and it just is a terrific addition to almost any soup.

Josephus

pooflady wrote:Oh, yeah, and a neighbor just brought me some fresh thyme. She has it wrapped in a damp paper towel and in a plastic bag. What do I do with it? I'm not sure I even have any recipes for fresh thyme. Or any thyme.

if you don't have the thyme, you should make thyme to use up the thyme your neighbor gave you.It's usually just used as an herbal component of something like herbal coated chicken before grilling it. or roasted chicken, etc. good on lamb, but again, better as one of the group of herbs you add.

pooflady

Josephus wrote:leeks look like spring onions, but they are really big around. they are absolutely superb when cooked in soup. they add a super flavor, much more subtle than onions, and they just eat great from the soup if you cut them into coin shaped pieces. wonderful. also wonderful are celery root pieces cooked into soup. chopped into dice-sized chunks, or a bit bigger, they add a terrific celery flavor, much more so than celery does, and it just is a terrific addition to almost any soup.

I've never heard of celery root. Would that be good in beef stew?

Josephus

pooflady wrote:I've never heard of celery root. Would that be good in beef stew?

it would be wonderful in beef stew. They also call it celeriac. It's really weird looking, like a big mutant brownish softball with leetle roots sticking out all over it, though they usually have cut those off. you cut the outside off using a potato peeler or knife.

Josephus

why is my edit button gone? I was going to suggest that celeriac could easily be the inspiration for cthulhu.

edit: ...and now it's back!

pooflady

Josephus wrote:it would be wonderful in beef stew. They also call it celeriac. It's really weird looking, like a big mutant brownish softball with leetle roots sticking out all over it, though they usually have cut those off. you cut the outside off using a potato peeler or knife.

That's really ugly.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:it would be wonderful in beef stew. They also call it celeriac. It's really weird looking, like a big mutant brownish softball with leetle roots sticking out all over it, though they usually have cut those off. you cut the outside off using a potato peeler or knife.

Why are you making stew out of some sort of skull?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
pooflady wrote:Ouch, our sales tax is 6.5.

This is a drive by to report that taxes are 9% in tourist land. The sales were good in the teenaged flashylightloudmusicstores. Today she bought some on sale stuff and was happy. I came home and took a nap.

Josephus

pooflady wrote:That's really ugly.

when you chop it up it's really pure white, after you chop off the outside layer, though I think that would be fine cooked into stew. I'm telling you, it adds just great flavor to soups. Look at the reviews about it...check out NPRs story.

Iceback

It looks like a bee's nest (hive...whatever)

pooflady

Josephus wrote:when you chop it up it's really pure white, after you chop off the outside layer, though I think that would be fine cooked into stew. I'm telling you, it adds just great flavor to soups. Look at the reviews about it...check out NPRs story.

Sounds good. Now if I can just remember it until it's stew-making weather.

Iceback

They showed someone on the news cooking their dinner on the dash of their car. Roast beef, carrots and potatoes slow cooked in 5 hours. They baked chocolate chip cookies for desert.

pooflady

Iceback wrote:They showed someone on the news cooking their dinner on the dash of their car. Roast beef, carrots and potatoes slow cooked in 5 hours. They baked chocolate chip cookies for desert.

You have all my sympathy.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Iceback wrote:They showed someone on the news cooking their dinner on the dash of their car. Roast beef, carrots and potatoes slow cooked in 5 hours. They baked chocolate chip cookies for desert.

They used to do that on the news when I was a kid, although I don't think they cooked that healthy, mostly burgers and eggs and stuff.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:They used to do that on the news when I was a kid, although I don't think they cooked that healthy, mostly burgers and eggs and stuff.

They did the chocolate chip cookie thing here a couple weeks ago.

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

Iceback

Good morning all.
Off to work today.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! Did the chocolate chip cookie makers just stick a cookie sheet on the dash of the car? The heat index was 110 here Thursday then we had a little shower and it cooled off a little. Hubby and I have been walking before 9am because it is just too hot later on. I have been jogging a little. I can go about 1/4 mile before I fall over. ROFLOL I can't believe I'm even trying to jog! Have a great day!

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:I sliced in half, washed, cooked 3 minutes, ice water bath, dried, drizzled w/EVOO and salt & pepper. Grilled 2 minutes on each side. Found a recipe that says brush w/bacon drippings, grill, then brush w/balsamic vinegar. That sounds even better. Ever done them?

Only think I've done with leeks is carmelize them and add to bechamel.

and leeks are in the onion family, but they're not the same thing. Leeks get bigger, and have a softer, more subtle flavor.

AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Lynnzoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lynnzoi
AZGman wrote:Mornin', folks.

mornin az, all

AZGman

Lynnzoi wrote:mornin az, all

Hiya, kiddo!

pooflady

Good morning everyone.

klozitshoper

Good morning all.

j5

GM all.
My 5yo looked at my shirt today and said "you got that before it was in the danger zone"
I think I need a wootervention.

move along