pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:If son was coming home after work and he left work at 8, where the hell is he????

I wouldn't worry about him, he knows where he is. He'll show up sooner or later.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:I wouldn't worry about him, he knows where he is. He'll show up sooner or later.

Yeah.

I'm going to do the peepee walk while the cat is in the basement. I don't trust the sucker since he tried to get out two nights ago.
Just standing by the door and as we came in, he tried to slip out!
I got him with my leg. Squashed him against the doorjam and he went back in.

See, blocking dogs from going out paid off! It was the dog park block.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

There's one thing I don't understand at all about new kitchens, and that's islands. I can't imagine having to walk around the darn thing all the time.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

back

it is fast.

would be faster if he didn't give me false starts. Looks like he is about to lift his leg, then he changes his mind.

The neighbors garbage bags won tonight. Rejected two trees and a light post.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:There's one thing I don't understand at all about new kitchens, and that's islands. I can't imagine having to walk around the darn thing all the time.

Yeah, a brother in law has a big one. Handy since he has large parties.
But it is between his fridge and the rest of the kitchen.
At least the sink and stove are on the same side of it. I cook lots of pasta and the idea of carrying a pot of boiling water to drain the water is scary.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Why didn't this post?

What is this mr1????

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=55504

looks like a link to me.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

Good morning all.

In the end only kindness matters

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Morning!

My house has a decent kitchen. That was one of the requirements, though, we rejected a lot places for crappy kitchens.

Looking for a lawyer to contest my property taxes. Property values declined, taxable values keep going up--I'm being taxed for $100,000 more than the value of the house.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:Morning!

My house has a decent kitchen. That was one of the requirements, though, we rejected a lot places for crappy kitchens.

Looking for a lawyer to contest my property taxes. Property values declined, taxable values keep going up--I'm being taxed for $100,000 more than the value of the house.

Do you have to have a lawyer to do that? Here, we can just appeal to the tax board. I guess if that doesn't work, then get a lawyer.

pooflady

Good morning everyone.

Sun's shining. Some windows have condensation on them. Humidity's 94%. I'm not going outside.

Mavyn

pooflady wrote:Do you have to have a lawyer to do that? Here, we can just appeal to the tax board. I guess if that doesn't work, then get a lawyer.

We can, and I'm going to look into it more before we hire a lawyer. I think that if I go in with a tax appraisal, I should be able to handle it. Just worry they'll ask a question I can't answer. There was a neighborhood meeting last night, with a real estate agent, someone from a local bank, and a lawyer. They're trying to get everyone to sign up with them, and then we pay them the first years worth of savings. Which would probably be about $3000 for my house.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:We can, and I'm going to look into it more before we hire a lawyer. I think that if I go in with a tax appraisal, I should be able to handle it. Just worry they'll ask a question I can't answer. There was a neighborhood meeting last night, with a real estate agent, someone from a local bank, and a lawyer. They're trying to get everyone to sign up with them, and then we pay them the first years worth of savings. Which would probably be about $3000 for my house.

A friend of mine did this just recently on his own. He went in with the amount that many comparable houses in the area had sold for to prove that his was not worth what they said it was worth. That seemed to do it.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Morning!

We just got re-evaluated as well. Same deal. Govco "sent a note" in May allowing 90 days to contest. We never got it. I don't really have a case since we refinanced and the bank did an e-appraisal for about the same as the tax value.

move along

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Morning all

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Mavyn wrote:We can, and I'm going to look into it more before we hire a lawyer. I think that if I go in with a tax appraisal, I should be able to handle it. Just worry they'll ask a question I can't answer. There was a neighborhood meeting last night, with a real estate agent, someone from a local bank, and a lawyer. They're trying to get everyone to sign up with them, and then we pay them the first years worth of savings. Which would probably be about $3000 for my house.

There are consulting companies that specialize in protesting property tax bills - often you pay them a % of the savings, which is sometimes more money than you would want to spend.

Mavyn

j5 wrote:We just got re-evaluated as well. Same deal. Govco "sent a note" in May allowing 90 days to contest. We never got it. I don't really have a case since we refinanced and the bank did an e-appraisal for about the same as the tax value.

Bank appraisals are not the same as tax appraisals.

The cost is one of the reasons we're looking at other law offices, see what they charge. I might just pay for the tax appraisal and go in with that...Seems to vary widely by state and county how things are done.

But, right now--the monthly payment to escrow for taxes is more than I'm paying on my mortgage. By a lot.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:Bank appraisals are not the same as tax appraisals.

The cost is one of the reasons we're looking at other law offices, see what they charge. I might just pay for the tax appraisal and go in with that...Seems to vary widely by state and county how things are done.

But, right now--the monthly payment to escrow for taxes is more than I'm paying on my mortgage. By a lot.

There are firms that do that here full time. They get a % of the reduction. I think it isn't hard to do, it is mostly paperwork.

We had a county executive who claimed he didn't raise taxes.
What he did was reassess ever house, every year!
We thought he would do it once and make everyone level. Before that they were using 1950 numbers and had a hard time with things like central air.

Eventually everyone was overassessed!

Now the county is broke because every house is at least 100 grand less than what the taxes were based on.
Since LI, NJ and the area just north of NYC have the highest taxes in the country, how are they broke??? I never heard of anyone paying less than 7 grand, no matter how small the house in how not great a neighborhood.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Good morning everyone.

Sun's shining. Some windows have condensation on them. Humidity's 94%. I'm not going outside.

That sounds like a good plan!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I think that is what they do here. Or part of the first year.
Wow, you pay a hefty amount of tax too! Actually that would be per 100 grand, more than us...but maybe our houses are more expensive for the same size.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

Mavyn

dontwantaname wrote:I think that is what they do here. Or part of the first year.
Wow, you pay a hefty amount of tax too! Actually that would be per 100 grand, more than us...but maybe our houses are more expensive for the same size.

Taxes on my house now are right around $10K/year. The county tax mill isn't bad, but the school mill for this district are really high. The county assesses houses when they are first built, and then just adds a percent every year, even though the value of the houses has dropped every year for the last 4-5 years. Since our house was built at the peak of the housing bubble, the tax amount is way out of whack with reality. Heck, of the 6 houses sold in the neighborhood in the last 12 months, the most expensive one went for $20K less than the tax value listed on my house.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:Taxes on my house now are right around $10K/year. The county tax mill isn't bad, but the school mill for this district are really high. The county assesses houses when they are first built, and then just adds a percent every year, even though the value of the houses has dropped every year for the last 4-5 years. Since our house was built at the peak of the housing bubble, the tax amount is way out of whack with reality. Heck, of the 6 houses sold in the neighborhood in the last 12 months, the most expensive one went for $20K less than the tax value listed on my house.

I think that is about what ours is.
I guess that is why all the houses were using 1950 numbers. Not that the tax was lower when they used the old #.

Since there is no open land, we didn't have much in the way of new construction . Loads of expansion of existing houses. Now it seems they got rid of the leave at least one outside wall. Now there are total tear downs.
People from India build huge houses on tiny lots. They live with multi generations and not unknown to have adult siblings sharing one house with two families and the grandparents. They don't seem to care if they have a backyard, or are on a busy street.
Although my in laws next door neighbor gardens in his yard. Helped my f i l put in his garden last year.

The biggest chunk of tax is the school tax.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

j5

Mavyn wrote:Taxes on my house now are right around $10K/year.

I won't divulge my current taxes.

move along

pooflady

j5 wrote:I won't divulge my current taxes.

//looking around//
Okay, who was rude enough to ask j5 what his taxes are?
//tapping foot//

Mavyn

pooflady wrote://looking around//
Okay, who was rude enough to ask j5 what his taxes are?
//tapping foot//

Certainly wasn't me. Promise!

Property taxes aren't really personal info, other than showing I make enough to afford them. Not like income taxes or anything, and they vary so widely by location that it doesn't even say much about what kind of house I live in. There are people in my neighborhood that are paying $3000K a year, and their house isn't much different than mine other than being built in 1998, instead of during the peak of the housing bubble.

lplady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lplady
dontwantaname wrote:Now where did she go????

Sorry, I feel asleep while attempting to read back. Had a long day traveling back home and dozed off.

Afternoon all.

lplady

j5 wrote:I won't divulge my current taxes.

But now I'm curious if you prefer to not say what you pay because you are lucky to live where you pay much less and we'll be jealous or you pay much more in taxes and our whines aren't working as well on you. lol

Either way, I think we can all agree that no matter how much we pay that we would like to pay less.

Our county has our assessments extremely low on value. At least five times, probably more on most houses, less than our homes are worth. They tax the crap out of that number and you end up paying through the nose anyway. No sense in even trying to appeal since there's no way you can say the house isn't worth at least assessment value. It's a nice scam they have built in so that you have no choice but to pay what they say.

Poof, thanks for the recipe. Please let us know how it turns out.

j5

lplady wrote:But now I'm curious if you prefer to not say what you pay because you are lucky to live where you pay much less and we'll be jealous or you pay much more in taxes and our whines aren't working as well on you. lol

It would be the former.

eta: and welcome back Ms. < insert alias >

move along

lplady

j5 wrote:It would be the former.

eta: and welcome back Ms. < insert alias >

YAY! Lucky you!

Thank you, I'd say it's good to be back but I do like vacations. lol

You may call me Madam Butterfly.

edit: ttyl have a good day wootville

klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper

The first step when you want to contest your assessment is to look up in the land records (you should be able to do this online) for what your exact street and those with comparable homes are assessed for square footage and any additonal buildings and lot size. Then, you need to look at yours in comparison with theirs. Sale value, mortgage value, etc. have nothing to do with tax assessments. # of bedrooms, baths, sq. footage, garages, pools, etc. At a glance you should be able to determine if your assessment seems to be in the ballpark with those of your neighbors. If, for example, youo have a sewer easement running through your property, or something else that is unique to your home that should lower the value, you certainly can appeal your assessment with reference to other assessments that are in line with yours but pointing out a defect that makes your home less desirable. Bear in mind, when a buyer looks at a home, they also look at the assessment.

klozitshoper

My home also is assessed for much more than I could sell it for - and the insurance company insists that the insurance value is more than the assessment because it is not based on sales but on replacement costs.

Mavyn

Tax assessments are not related to the assessment done for financing/refinancing, or insuring the home. My neighborhood has a ton of empty houses--some were foreclosures, but a lot of them, they just won't sell. Nice houses, nice neighborhood, nice school district, not horribly expensive--but really high taxes. It turns people away--realtors in the area hear it all the time.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternoon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Mavyn wrote:Tax assessments are not related to the assessment done for financing/refinancing, or insuring the home. My neighborhood has a ton of empty houses--some were foreclosures, but a lot of them, they just won't sell. Nice houses, nice neighborhood, nice school district, not horribly expensive--but really high taxes. It turns people away--realtors in the area hear it all the time.

Houses in Queens are selling for a higher price, because the taxes are lower.
Of course, the schools aren't anywhere near as good.
So lots of people move here just for the schools and move the second the last kid is in 12th grade. It seems you can finish out the year in 12th grade, even if you move.

So when you figure any private high school is 7 grand a kid here, the taxes aren't that bad.
My step niece in CT is going to go to a private HS that costs 30 grand! W The F???? The parents are nuts.
Supposedly a feeder school for the ivys.
So if you can get into an Ivy league school from our HS, you saved two years of top price college.

Even here, the really rich send the kids to private schools, not catholic, (the 7 grand one) but private.
I never drove a kid home to a gated community, and we have a few.
That zip code is one of the most expensive in the country.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

klozitshoper

Mavyn wrote:Tax assessments are not related to the assessment done for financing/refinancing, or insuring the home. My neighborhood has a ton of empty houses--some were foreclosures, but a lot of them, they just won't sell. Nice houses, nice neighborhood, nice school district, not horribly expensive--but really high taxes. It turns people away--realtors in the area hear it all the time.

If a buyer can purchase a like-quality,neighborhood,school system, transportation system home for less, of course they will unless they need to have the town/city, or county snob appeal (happens here). And for less means less of a tax bit also. However, if said buyer is settled on a house in XYZ City, should they have 3 comparables and have trouble making up their mind, lots of times they will wonder why one assessment is less (something wrong with the neighborhood they did not see?) So darned tricky nowadays. Not simple to move about as it was. I am living in a way-too-big house, but sales are not going well here, and I figure what actual difference does it make? Homes are reassessed here every year. Plus we get exemptions for homesteading, etc. It helps.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
AZGman wrote:Afternoon, folks.

Or not.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
AZGman wrote:Or not.

got any stocks in the stock market?

j5

no1 wrote:got any stocks in the stock market?

I have socks in the sock closet.

move along

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:got any stocks in the stock market?

I keep telling hubby that stock isn't money.

If you could just look into the future, there is something out there that will make you a millionaire when the market comes back.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!