ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega

Maybe THIS is where I'll find a nut!!
(this makes a lot more sense if you speak Spanish)

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

Teutonicopeth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Teutonicopeth

World of Warcraft anyone?

In Nagrand, there are floating trees all over the place.

lollyschenck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lollyschenck
goodviking wrote:I think it's a Camphor tree and that it's full of Totoro.

Glad to see a reference to Totoro here. This is a beautiful design, and will sweetly complement Red Summer Skies. I'm ridiculously overextended on Woot shirts-can't resist them, but this is a must have.

Sinistrahd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sinistrahd

Made me think of this:

For those youngsters who never held a game boy in their hands, it's a game called Final Fantasy Adventure, the tree in the background is the Tree of Mana, which was only reachable by using a pendant to reverse the flow of a waterfall (thus implying to me that it was on a floating island in the sky, otherwise a sufficiently good climber could easily reach it, especially considering that magic existed in the world...)

I think they remade this game for the Game Boy Advance and titled it Sword of Mana.

forgiventhief

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forgiventhief
goodviking wrote:I think it's a Camphor tree and that it's full of Totoro.

I remember Totoro! I think I still have it on vhs in my basement. The dust vunnies were kinda creepy to me.

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

Gorgeous colors (greens/blues/teals) are my fave, in for one even though I have too damn many T-shirts already.

isaaclyman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages isaaclyman

Bears an incredible resemblance to Angel Island from the early Sonic games.

grldollies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grldollies

Nice Shirt - I'm in for one! Good colors! I have tons of Woot shirts, which most are gray. Nice to have one in another color! Half the time if I like the design the color is not so good for me. It would be nice if Woot would let the designers & us have a choice of two shirt colors, even if it was once a month or special offering every once in a wile. If it made the cost higher-charge a buck extra. I would pay a bit more, to not have to pass a good design up cause the color looked like crap on me. Maybe it could boost sales too?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Nekura

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nekura

I'm glad this one made it in. Woke up at 5:20, saw it, exclaimed "ROCK!!" in a voice loud enough to wake up the whole house and purchased immediately.

vwclogan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwclogan

ugh... another tree.

dethl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dethl
Sinistrahd wrote:

For those youngsters who never held a game boy in their hands, it's a game called Final Fantasy Adventure, the tree in the background is the Tree of Mana, which was only reachable by using a pendant to reverse the flow of a waterfall (thus implying to me that it was on a floating island in the sky, otherwise a sufficiently good climber could easily reach it, especially considering that magic existed in the world...)

I think they remade this game for the Game Boy Advance and titled it Sword of Mana.

This game was actually part of the Seiken Dentestsu (Sword of Mana) series and took place before the SNES Secret of Mana game.

Spoilers ahead!

This game holds a special place in my heart. It was the first one to make me cry due to the bittersweet ending. I feel like this shirt is the end of that circle of my childhood - the gemma ("seed" in the game) that was planted in that game has finally grown into a new Tree of Mana.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Ahh, the Mana games. Good times, dethl.

I actually fell asleep last night with the Legend of Mana soundtrack playing. (Woke up with graphic tablet face again. Maybe in the next Intuous they could add some kind of airbag/pillow facility. That idea is free, Wacom!)

Kinami

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kinami

Reference picture, for those curious about the rope thingy:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/Katala21/atsuta_tree.jpg

It marks a Shinto sacred tree - this one is at Atsuta Shrine in Nagoya, Japan.

territ88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages territ88

I am *this* close to buying this shirt... but what's on the tags hanging from the branches? Can't make that out from the preview pic or the closeup.

TheBijmaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheBijmaster

A familiar sight for those of us anime fans...

jdelvoie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jdelvoie

Lets up the floating landmasses in popular culture up by a few and add:

-Laputa, Castle in the sky
-Islands in the Kamigawa Block (and a few others) in MTG

Kinami

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kinami
territ88 wrote:I am *this* close to buying this shirt... but what's on the tags hanging from the branches? Can't make that out from the preview pic or the closeup.

I see them as ofuda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ofuda) but someone earlier mentioned that they look like the tanzaku hung on bamboo for the Tanabata festival (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanabata). The first would have a protective charm written on it, the second a hope or wish. They could be either - I guess only Patrickspens knows!

Tristis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tristis

Came for the Tenchi Muyo royal tree references, guess I'll have to do it myself:

http://tenchi.wikia.com/wiki/Royal_Tree

KrystieM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KrystieM
nskripchun wrote:I'm not the creator of the design, but it's obviously influenced by traditional Japanese Shinto beliefs.

The rope around the middle is called a "shimenawa" and the hanging paper on the rope shaped like lightning bolts is called "shime". Its considered a way of marking something that is sacred, along with warding away evil spirits.

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shrine-guide-2.shtml#shimenawa

The strips of paper hanging from the branches is similar to the Tanabata Festival, where people hang wishes written on paper strips, "tanzaku", on the branches of bamboo trees.

Thanks! Very informative. Obviously I was way off

CrystallineX

quality posts: 17 Private Messages CrystallineX

Are there any native oaks in Japan?

starjelly1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starjelly1

This is such a nice shirt, wish I could get it.

laggyg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
Woot wrote:This shirt tells the world: “Serenity isn’t just the name of a fictional starship.”

Funny, I didn't see any Fireflies on the shirt comp...I'll have to look closer now. Though, technically, I guess the tree is a "brown-coat" afterall...haha =P

laggyg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
Nekura wrote:I'm glad this one made it in. Woke up at 5:20, saw it, exclaimed "ROCK!!" in a voice loud enough to wake up the whole house and purchased immediately.

But it's NOT a rock, it's a tree silly! =P

sirlouie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages sirlouie

Fourstringerslinger

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Fourstringerslinger

I was debating with myself on whether or not to get this shirt but then the Firefly reference was just too much awesome to resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMAKtXlXf4&feature=related

mrarcitcpenguin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrarcitcpenguin

OOOOO, so that is where rain comes from....

The power of rain shall be mine!!!! in a size of L :-P

gladiatorjai

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gladiatorjai

Haha, just in time. Almost forgot :p

kamikaji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kamikaji

For everyone's information, those white paper zig-zaggy things are called Shime. They are Japanese charms that are usually hung in shinto shrines to ward off evil spirits.

showtime123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages showtime123

Ahhhhhhhhhhh ancient oak. Wonderful.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

This print is HORRIBLE. The colors do not "pop" AT ALL.

The colors are barely discernible - the entire top of the tree is virtually invisible against the olive shirt.

Epic F A I L.

Very disappointed.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

krishachaos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krishachaos
Pufferfishy wrote:This print is HORRIBLE. The colors do not "pop" AT ALL.

The colors are barely discernible - the entire top of the tree is virtually invisible against the olive shirt.

Epic F A I L.

Very disappointed.

Oh NO!!!! I wanted this shirt so badly... I love the artistic shirts. I guess it's a good thing I didn't order it then.