omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Just a little closer...

Voted my friend! This derby wasn't that good for me, but hey, there's another one coming!

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
adamant628 wrote:Cool shirt, I've voted for it.

What does it mean that it's 'in the fog'? (I realize that I can't see the vote count, but why do they do that?)

Keeps things a mystery... shirt.woot would lose some of it's charm if you knew what was going to print ahead of time.

It also cuts down on voting games...

Nothing follows.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
Re: Red Rides With a HOOD!!!

Well here is my latest Little Red Rides With a HOOD!!! This was influenced by the old Tex Avery Cartoons as well as Big Daddy Ed Roth Custom Culture.

I hope you guys like it. Laters

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
Re: Just Right

Very nice!

qetza

Re: Why can't we be friends

Great concept and graphics!

qetza

Re: The Juniper Tree

This is excelent! One of my faves for sure. Hope it prints.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

Now that's a happy ending.

zzzzz78759

quality posts: 9 Private Messages zzzzz78759
xarous wrote:Really stretching yourself here?

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=46371

I agree. I think this should be rejected as "similar shirt exists".

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
ochopika wrote:Awww Love the way you did the value in this piece. Did you draw it all on the computer or did you do some by hand?

Thanks for the props ochopika. I did most of this artwork by hand and then did a high resolution scan. The original drawing was very small like 4"w x 3"h so you can see every mark when I have it blown up. I wasn't too happy with my designs this week. Thanks again and I absolutely love your dragon shirt. Great work!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
adamant628 wrote:Cool shirt, I've voted for it.

What does it mean that it's 'in the fog'? (I realize that I can't see the vote count, but why do they do that?)

Fog of war.
The standings are purposely hidden so as to avoid gaming the system.

move along

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: Red Rides With a HOOD!!!

This is great! I love the driving cap.

jimmytime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmytime
Re: Intervention!

GMV again, good luck!

stormygoddess

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stormygoddess
Re: Riches To Rags

This is a really great idea, I don't LOVE the shirt color, but it would be OK. Voted!

citricacid83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citricacid83
Re: Queen Bee

This is super incredibly late, but I thought I'd still give it a shot. I based this off the Grimm fairy tale of the Queen Bee in which >spoilers< Simpleton (an awful horrible name to give your child) receives help from ants, ducks, and a queen bee in order to win the hand of a princess and inherit a kingdom. Yay!

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: PO'd Pea

Eleventh-hour, but what the heck. The idea was cute and wouldn't get outta my head.
Six colors: black, white, green, pink, lavendar and yellow. On Slate.

paigeg

cdrewlow wrote:This is great! I love the driving cap.

Agreed, the lines on it are perfect. My eye is also drawn to the firewal and the shading there. Great job! Sweet.

beezsaidmoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beezsaidmoo
paulkremer wrote:I like this concept, but something is bothering me about this. It took me a few seconds, and then I realized that although you clearly took time to shape them well, her legs are disproportionate to the rest of her body. Her thighs are almost the same size as her midsection. Maybe that's picky, but it's kind of bugging me.

Maybe she is Italian. My thighs are almost the size of my midsection. Small waist, wide hips, it's the ideal.

melindagoodman259

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melindagoodman259
shikausstan wrote:The Dragon of the North is an old European Fairy Tale that says only the man wearing Solomon’s ring can defeat the dragon.

Please comment and Vote!

If I had the ring, I'd give it to the dragon.Maybe he'd take me for a ride. I'll buy this shirt next week.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Blue Ice Cream

Augh. Smurf poop. >_<

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
mistressofpez wrote:Is Alice in Wonderland a Fairy Tale? It was written in 1865, by Lewis Carrol.

I like the artwork. Cute with a bit of scary.

They've rejected all other Alice in Wonderland-related designs, so at least for the sake of this derby, they're NOT considering it a fairy tale.

Edit: makes a whole lot more sense with the word "not".

FretlessM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FretlessM
Re: Ninja Red Riding Hood

Akali versus Warwick =P

jnorah

stingray69 wrote:Now that's a happy ending.

YES Wolfy is winning! He got the hot girl!!!!

jnorah

cdrewlow wrote:This is great! I love the driving cap.

Thank You every line in that caps pattern was drawn by hand.

jnorah

paigeg wrote:Agreed, the lines on it are perfect. My eye is also drawn to the firewal and the shading there. Great job! Sweet.

I actually only used half tone twice in this 1 for the window and the other was on the shadow on the ground everything else as far as shading was all me. And Thank you.

paigeg

Re: Jibba-Jabbawocky

No. Just no. Coloring someone else's illustration isn't going to cut it here. Read the rules, please.

seedsofsedition

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seedsofsedition
paigeg wrote:Sadly, I can't access your larger file from here (damned site filters!). But as to the color choices - it all looks OK except for the Sea Hare itself. I'm not familiar with the critters (apparently they're mollusks), but if you want to represent it as an actual hare, maybe a blue-grey would convey both hare and sea, and pop better against the shirt. Then if you still have colors left, use a bit of blue or blue-green to set off the waves... Just a suggestion.

That is what I was thinking but I used 6 colors and couldn't decide what to get rid of. I suppose I could halftone the yellow and blue to make green and then I could use one more color (grey) but I'm afraid the halftones would 1)look goofy 2) the resulting green would be kinda brownish since the yellow is in the redish-yellow spectrum.
So what color would you get rid of?

I think the sea-hare is too dark either way.

find me here: cas.lollworks.com

myteemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myteemo

You are the man Wences!

Re: Intervention!

lepyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepyan
paigeg wrote:I like your colors. Two things tho - you need ot fix your thumbnail (detail) image - it's not displaying on the screen. And, without a larger image to see, I'm going to take a guess that you have gradients making up that glow and the moon. Woot's rejectionator will get you for that. Check the submission guidelines. You'll need to convert them to halftones.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm still new to this and pretty confused about the halftones. I tried to get around it by using the Illustrator gradient, but goofed up someplace. I switch back some with PhotoShop, where I'm more comfortable.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

qetza wrote:Very nice! That yellow really makes all the colors pop.

Thanks, quetza

Its funny, the design used to look really flat and I didn't know what to do. I was about to quit on it when I accidentally used the yellow instead of the eraser on one part. That's how I make most of my good designs, if only I could do it on purpose...hmmm.

jpmull2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpmull2000

Thanks Green M&M.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
beezsaidmoo wrote:Maybe she is Italian. My thighs are almost the size of my midsection. Small waist, wide hips, it's the ideal.

This is how my partially Italian wife is built. Personally, I approve.

move along

seedsofsedition

Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=55138]Castle

doing halftones is pretty easy. Just google search a tutorial (or a couple). It is just another filter.

When they say that illustrator uses can use gradients in the guidelines they mean someone who does there entire submission in a vector program (i.e. illustrator). You can't switch back and forth and still get the gradients rule waived.

as for the design itself. Try integrating the shirt itself more, square designs never really do well or look good. Have some transparencies that use the shirt color to your advantage.

seedsofsedition

jubileejune wrote:Yeah, this is my first entry and I was very confused by the rules. I have never done graphics where I needed to do the colors all on separate layers and all that and I never figured out how to do that. Gotta love the tutorials where they show you a blue square and a red triangle and show you how to separate colors when obviously my design is much more complex than that. Oh well. I guess I need to go educate myself further.

It is always best to separate colors in layers while you are working rather then retroactively doing it. When I'm working I usually have about 30 layers going if not more (all set to transparent base). When you get close to completion you can just merge all the ones that contain the same color. Lemme know if you have some specific questions.

paperlovesink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paperlovesink

I think it is obvious what's going on and this is a wonderful design. i woot it!

How do you vote?

taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
paperlovesink wrote:I think it is obvious what's going on and this is a wonderful design. i woot it!

How do you vote?

You are required to have made one purchase from any woot site before your little voting links show up. Helps keep people from creating multiple accounts to vote for shirts.

Nothing follows.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

seedsofsedition wrote:That is what I was thinking but I used 6 colors and couldn't decide what to get rid of. I suppose I could halftone be yellow and blue to make green and then I'd get a grey but I'm afraid the halftones would 1)look goofy 2) the green would be kinda brownish since the yellow is in the redish-yellow spectrum.
So what color would you get rid of?

I think the sea-hare is too dark either way.

You've got a nice, painterly style here. You are right that the colors need to pop more. What I would do is leave the halftones in the background as they look good there. Make the animals solid, with maybe parts of the highlights and shadows halftones.

The yellow in the background does look good, but you could play around with the color. There would be more contrast if it were closer to the shirt color, and the animals were a more contrasting color. The brown shirt is very dark and warm, so the highlights and shadows should be very cool (white or dark blue/green).

The highlights and shadows on the animals could also be amplified a bit. I try to make my lights and darks more bold than I think they should be, then when I'm done it usually looks better than I thought it would.

Here is one of my brown-shirt designs where the colors kinda worked (not that I'm a color master or anything, it's just the only example I can think of now): tree thing
Hope that is helpful and not too much text.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
paperlovesink wrote:
How do you vote?

After you have bought anything on any woot site, you'll be able to vote.

paperlovesink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paperlovesink

love it!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
captainbaldie wrote:I could care less about the other Red Riding Hood you made, but this really irks me:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=53613

????????

Are you capable of making anything that is wholly yours stylistically? Dr. Seuss is one thing, but even your fellow derby artists? And please do us all a favor and not reply back saying that "you've never seen this entry". We can only be fooled so much.

Why has this not garnered more attention? It is the exact same composition and idea. The only difference is the manga style.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

vladmech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vladmech
Re: Dread Riding Hood V2

Awesome design!