taternuggets

quality posts: 22 Private Messages taternuggets
amreli wrote:I really like the concept, but yeah, execution is killer. The absolutely most useful tutorial I ever found was omnitarian's on inking/linework in Inkscape (free version of Illustrator). The quality of my work changed so much after that, for example compare May the Force Be With You to The Grammarian. Not that I don't still have a long way to improve, but yeah. As for the time constraints, I have plenty of weeks I just can't get anything in (like this week), but partially because I've stopped submitting entries I didn't feel were finished enough. And even my most recent entry (from 2 derbies ago, ugh) was really late which certainly hurt it, it was a Sunday night/Monday morning entry and managed to get to 16th...who knows what would have happened if I could have finished it even Saturday.

Ok, enough of an essay all about amreli's work...my point is, linework in Inkscape! I still do most of my coloring in Photoshop (well, Photoshop Elements, which means sometimes I have to do halftones in GIMP) because it's easier and, I think, comes out better. Also, not sure what equipment you're using, but something like a Bamboo tablet actually makes a big difference, too. Oh, and if you haven't, read through all the links in tgentry's signature.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will definitely be checking out the tutorials you've listed here.

I have an Intuos 4 tablet and use photoshop. When I've tried to use illustrator for linework I've found it rather daunting... especially working with bezier handles and whatnot... strokes and fills and don't even get me started on trying to erase part of a line.... it was horrible. Does inkscape have a similar learning curve?

Nothing follows.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
jnorah wrote:Speaking of food is food one of the most popular subjects for design here?

Check out http://shirtwhat.com/archive_s.php to see what actually prints.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
Re: Follower of the Cape

This REALLY GOOD i don't get why didn't score higher +1!

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
Re: 3 Billy Goats Grunge

your work is amazing and in a fairlly world your desing deserve to begin printed :D

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Why can't we be friends

Buena Sergio!, muy buen concepto. +1

squarerootofpi

quality posts: 8 Private Messages squarerootofpi
Re: Hansel and Gretel visit the Cottage of Cheese (v2)

This design is making me hungry!

dijay

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: Little Red-san

Wow, well done! :-D

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: The Nightingale's Song

Wow, the votes increase, but the fog just isn't budging this week. I do so hope the nightingale receives more votes tonight!

dijay

Re: The Emperor Rocks it

Great Style ;)

dijay

Re: The Golden Fish

Nice!!!

dijay

Re: Baba Yaga

Awesome work!!!

dijay

Re: The Toy Peddler

Fantastic. I love it.

dijay

dijay

Re: The First Pig

Hahaha... Cool.

dijay

Re: You Can't Catch Me

Awesome. I want!!!

dijay

Re: hansel's difficult decision

Hahaha... Fantastic ;)

gwyn779

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
Re: Red Revenge

Ok, not going to get into (lack of) originality, but the legs/feet....they're just wrong. As someone mentioned, her right knee is angled forward which means that her foot can't be turned sideways like that, the ankle just doesn't turn that way. And the left foot should be turned out just a little for perspective/balance. It should be more like this:

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
taternuggets wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will definitely be checking out the tutorials you've listed here.

I have an Intuos 4 tablet and use photoshop. When I've tried to use illustrator for linework I've found it rather daunting... especially working with bezier handles and whatnot... strokes and fills and don't even get me started on trying to erase part of a line.... it was horrible. Does inkscape have a similar learning curve?

Jealous of your Intuos. I think Illustrator has more options, but I can't afford it which is why I use Inkscape. The learning curve is probably somewhat similar, though maybe easier in Inkscape if there are fewer options? I found it daunting at first as well, but the bezier handles are actually awesome for tweaking lines. You can't erase part of a line like you would in Photoshop (or on paper), but you can move the nodes to shorten, or you can break them apart and/or delete a section between two nodes. One piece of advice that helped was from bassanimation in this thread which is to think of vector work like working with construction paper, instead of like drawing.

amreli

quality posts: 8 Private Messages amreli
blk909 wrote:Wow, the votes increase, but the fog just isn't budging this week. I do so hope the nightingale receives more votes tonight!

I know! This is one of those frustrating weeks where a) I didn't have a good idea in time to do anything and b) I'm actually not that into most of the entries. Oh well, I desperately need to avoid buying shirts for now since we're moving and can't afford anything else at the moment. *sigh*

edit: it really is closer than normal, I think. It's not unusual to have ~150 votes different between 10th and 15th, even at this point, but it's only ~50 right now.

stardamsel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
Re: Puss in Boot

I appreciate the votes and comments, y'all :-D Muchas gracias!

taternuggets

amreli wrote:Jealous of your Intuos. I think Illustrator has more options, but I can't afford it which is why I use Inkscape. The learning curve is probably somewhat similar, though maybe easier in Inkscape if there are fewer options? I found it daunting at first as well, but the bezier handles are actually awesome for tweaking lines. You can't erase part of a line like you would in Photoshop (or on paper), but you can move the nodes to shorten, or you can break them apart and/or delete a section between two nodes. One piece of advice that helped was from bassanimation in this thread which is to think of vector work like working with construction paper, instead of like drawing.

I can only afford Illustrator and Photoshop because work pays for it. I love the Intuos but I'm not very good with it yet.

Nothing follows.

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
taternuggets wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will definitely be checking out the tutorials you've listed here.

I actually use Manga Studio EX (pro version) for inking. It allows me to ink in vector or raster and export as a PSD. Another good program is Flash yes Flash the brush tool is excellent for inking and flash allows you to export as a bmp or illustrator file.

I have also used inkscape. It is no less easier or harder to learn than illustrator as they are both Vector drawing Apps and have similar tools.

You could just use Photoshop to do it all, just turn off anti-aliasing and use the pencil tool instead of the brush tool. I generally make a high quality bmp out of my line work with No smoothing or Anti-aliasing and I put it into it's own channel. Makes for easy selecting and always give me a good clean copy to work from no matter how many times I mess up.

Last but not least my all time favorite draw it out ink on tracing paper scan at 600dpi as a b&w bitmap bring into Photoshop or whatever you are using. Yes I still do this. I like it because I still have more control inking by hand.

Here is a list of excellent software and how I use them.

Sketchbook Pro / Quick sketching and Ideas layout design color planning.

Art Rage/ same as Above

Painter/ Same as above + inking and final colors.

Photoshop/ Same as all the above + simple animation.

Manga Studio/ Same as above + vector inking and coloring.

Illustrator/ Vector inking and Coloring usually with scanned or digitally drawn art work.

Flash/ Same as above + simple animation.

I have a tendency to use programs based on my moods. I am weird like that

jnorah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnorah
blk909 wrote:Check out http://shirtwhat.com/archive_s.php to see what actually prints.

I am not necessarily talking about printed, but there was a hell of a lot of food related prints there either directly or indirectly related to food.

I am just talking about food use in general I just notice a lot of people love doing food related designs.

Just curious. I think I want to do some food too.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
sanctoclaro wrote:I'm surprised this isn't in the fog. It's my favorite entry this derby.

Thanks--I really appreciate it

And thanks to everyone else for their support!!

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

seedsofsedition wrote:

Thanks for giving me some fresh eyes on this. I really appreciate the constructive crit.

also I kinda love your shirts.

*blush*

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas
Re: Intervention!

I'm hoping that you'll get to resub this some time when text is allowed.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
Re: This Bridge is Highly Suspect

If we can FINALLY get a TS print to happen - very long overdue - I'll have to break my moratorium on More Grey Shirts. The only problem will be adding yet another shirt to my collection where I'll think, "Oh no, I can't wear that one today, I'm going to be at the animal shelter/eating spaghetti/rough-housing with the kids/something else that might endanger the shirt."

Yeah, I really do think that way.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Adelas wrote:I'm hoping that you'll get to resub this some time when text is allowed.

Not sure what you mean. This is in the fog.

move along

taternuggets

jnorah wrote:
Here is a list of excellent software and how I use them.

wow... talk about a learning curve.

Nothing follows.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Nekkochan wrote:If we can FINALLY get a TS print to happen - very long overdue - I'll have to break my moratorium on More Grey Shirts. The only problem will be adding yet another shirt to my collection where I'll think, "Oh no, I can't wear that one today, I'm going to be at the animal shelter/eating spaghetti/rough-housing with the kids/something else that might endanger the shirt."

Yeah, I really do think that way.

Buy extras?

move along

ladykyley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladykyley
zerobriant wrote:with all the RRH entries this one is the cutest! :D

Thanks! I should have known there would be a lot, but I really wanted to do my own version of her.

moosepod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosepod
stndsh0 wrote:As would I. I love this design, it would be an instant buy for me.

It seems as if all Alice in Wonderland shirts were rejected. Oh well. Thanks for the support anyway.

VOTE- Click Below!!!

moosepod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moosepod
stndsh0 wrote:As would I. I love this design, it would be an instant buy for me.

It seems as if all Alice in Wonderland shirts were rejected. Oh well. Thanks for the support anyway.

VOTE- Click Below!!!

muhammadajalal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages muhammadajalal
Re: You Can't Catch Me

One of the best shirts in this Derby, can't wait to buy it!

muhammadajalal

Re: Red Revenge

It's a nice design, but it seems to play on the legs and the womanly appeal more than it does on a fairy tale. It got my vote regardless because it is epic.

muhammadajalal

Re: A Clockwork Fairy Tale

Amazing twist to a classic! The shirt is phenomenal. I hope it makes it to the fog somehow!

muhammadajalal

Re: Der Mond

I don't know what fairy tale this is based on(but based on the comment, it seems like stealing the moon?) but this is so beautiful and stunning that it literally took my breath away. I hope the few number of comments aren't representative of the votes, because it would be a real heart-breaker if it didn't win.

muhammadajalal

Re: The Nightingale's Song

One of the few shirts this derby that got my vote. Amazing design, and the symbolism behind it is beautiful. Much better than a few shirts in the fog.