gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Sad Dog League

Forced to wear terrible costumes! How sad!

Batdog is fighting back against injustice, though. Shred! Shred that cape!

gement

Re: Happy Hell Hounds

I'm having trouble mentally connecting the side heads to the body on this drawing. I think it's that the body of the dog is too narrow. Cerberus tends to be proportioned a bit like a bull (or bulldog), with very broad shoulders to support all the extra necks.

Cute, though!

gement

Re: dog gone

Green Space, anyone? (It was the third worst seller of all time, at 182 shirts. Just think about that for a moment. Two shirts sold worse than the blank.) But not only is the user base bigger now, but it's black instead of green. It would probably clear 500.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
kaelynangelfoot wrote:I understand that its art, I was just pointing out that the image gives the impression of being incomplete, and whether or not this was intentional doesn't really matter. I was simply asking for a reason that the other poster was so passionate about insisting people vote for this, because I'm not that impressed with it.

Yes, incomplete is a good way to look at it. He's a brown dog in a brown world, no different than any other lost soul. He doesn't stand out. He doesn't make an impression. He's doing what the masses want until he puts on his colorful mask and is free to be himself. He represents individualism and uniqueness. I am not a fan of standing there while someone stares at my tshirt trying to absorb all that is splashed across the front. A bold graphic is much more preferable. One of the very basic rules of design is "Less is More". I'm not saying that I follow rules that make broad sweeps, but I am trying to find a design style that fits in here without following the standard set by the leaders. One day I hope to be able to attract more votes. I assure you that I am a talented artist and I will always follow my own path.

abritishgem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abritishgem
Re: Gesundheit

Talented beyond belief! GMV

Dutchbunch5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dutchbunch5
Azurett wrote:Haha, this is great! I'm not sure if many people will know the reference, though.

How about giving us all a clue to the reference.

gement

Re: meant for each other

I like how you've played with abstractions and nice clean lines here. The monocle works great!

gement

Re: Dogtor Who

But there is no K-9 design and it makes me sad. Invoke the scarf, and everyone I know is going to look at it and go, "But where's K-9?"

gement

Re: You Like This

The drawing is clean, but I don't understand how the reference works. I understood both "React" and "Meh," but thumbs up to... dog someone?

Maybe I don't spend enough time on Facebook to get this.

gement

Dutchbunch5 wrote:How about giving us all a clue to the reference.

Yes, please. (It's clearly not a companion cube, which was my initial guess.)

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Re: Just a Little Husky

Toooootal furry fodder ;D

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

mlovesr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mlovesr
Re: Party Hats!

This design makes me smile. I loved Go, Dog, Go! as a kid and now my son loves this book, too. Would happily get one for him and one for me!

taternuggets

quality posts: 21 Private Messages taternuggets
gement wrote:But there is no K-9 design and it makes me sad. Invoke the scarf, and everyone I know is going to look at it and go, "But where's K-9?"

Well, when you buy it, feel free to draw that in on your version.

Nothing follows.

vigneshd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vigneshd

I hate that the reservoir dogs shirt has so many less votes compared to the rest. I'd really love that shirt. Mr. Orange bleeding is a great idea btw!

gement

Re: Reservoir Dog Pack

This is the only one of the Reservoir Dogs designs that got my vote. It's recognizable instantly as the parody, it's engaging, and the dogs actually look like different (and appropriate) breeds of dogs!

Good luck!

andreasz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andreasz
Re: The Other Uncle

kinda looks like brian from family guy no?

gement

maximus08 wrote:If this was the first time you had done this, I would simply chalk it up to not knowing the rules. However, you've done this several times before.

Obviously, from your other rejections, you should know you can't trace photos for your shirt entries.

When I first saw people get rejected for photo use, I thought an instant one-month ban would be appropriate for plagiarism. Having watched a little longer, I've come to terms with the fact that most people are incapable of reading the directions, and won't learn about the photo rule until one is rejected.

But that's not so complicated. One gimme for ignorance, entirely at Woot's discretion, is a fine idea. And once you've been warned, or if the mods have good reason to believe you're already aware (like you've been actively commenting in the derby for a year), straight to three or six month bans from the Derby.

Sometimes intellectual property is a hazy, fiddly, hard-to-judge thing. But sometimes it isn't. No tracing in the Derby. Tracing should be ban-worthy. It's that simple.

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Graveyard Snack

At first I just really like it, but then I saw the little dog at the bottom of the shirt and that tipped the scale to loving it! GREAT WORK!!!

dot8927

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dot8927
acallens80 wrote:Cute design but read the woot rule book, they are a little anal about photos. I hear footsteps of the rejection bot... He should be coming in 5...4...3...2

this is a painting

Lisa Pahl

gement

taternuggets wrote:Well, when you buy it, feel free to draw that in on your version.

Yeah, yeah, "draw your own or go home." I couldn't find a way to make a good K-9 design either, which is why I didn't enter this one. :D

dot8927

gement wrote:When I first saw people get rejected for photo use, I thought an instant one-month ban would be appropriate for plagiarism. Having watched a little longer, I've come to terms with the fact that most people are incapable of reading the directions, and won't learn about the photo rule until one is rejected.

But that's not so complicated. One gimme for ignorance, entirely at Woot's discretion, is a fine idea. And once you've been warned, or if the mods have good reason to believe you're already aware (like you've been actively commenting in the derby for a year), straight to three or six month bans from the Derby.

Sometimes intellectual property is a hazy, fiddly, hard-to-judge thing. But sometimes it isn't. No tracing in the Derby. Tracing should be ban-worthy. It's that simple.

This is a painting

Lisa Pahl

dot8927

Re: Give us a Wet KISS

This isnt a photo, it's a painting that I reworked in illustrator

Lisa Pahl

gement

dot8927 wrote:this is a painting

Are the borders of the painted dog the same as the borders of a photographed dog that you used as an underlay while you worked? That is tracing a photo, which is not allowed.

gement

dot8927 wrote:This isnt a photo, it's a painting that I reworked in illustrator

If it's your own painting, which wasn't based on a photo tracing, and you can send evidence of that to the Wootlords, you have an appeal case. At that point it's like scanning in any other freehand sketch to work from.

If so, this is a remarkably photo-flavored painting style you've got! Very interesting.

dot8927

Re: Give us a Wet KISS

http://web.mac.com/lisapahl/iWeb/Site/Pet%20Portraits.html
this is from a painting

Lisa Pahl

dot8927

gement wrote:You have to understand the rules before you understand when it's useful to break them.

Woot cannot sell a shirt that uses any photo or specific prior image unless it can get the rights to that image. If you go look at the submission page for non-Derby designs, they have a question about whether you used any other art, and if you have the rights, and explain why.

There are images free for use, there are images that can be licensed legitimately. There are fine distinctions of copyright law. BUT.
When people entering the Derby don't even read far enough to get "6 colors, no gradients, show where the design will be placed on the shirt," the Wootlords are right to cut the hassle and say "No photos. Period."

98% of what people want to trace will be unacceptable, and freehand drawing is a perfectly reasonable requirement for an art competition to ask for.

This is a painting that I did, http://web.mac.com/lisapahl/iWeb/Site/Pet%20Portraits.html
There is not a right issue,

Lisa Pahl

MacTheHero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MacTheHero
MadamAtom wrote:I like it, but I have a feeling I'm missing a reference. Is it related to anything in particular? GMV either way.

no

dot8927

gement wrote:Are the borders of the painted dog the same as the borders of a photographed dog that you used as an underlay while you worked? That is tracing a photo, which is not allowed.

I didn't trace it, I painted freehand from a photo I took as a guide. So I don't understand why this is rejected.

http://lisapahl.wordpress.com/
This shows how I paint.

Lisa Pahl

adrianropp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adrianropp
Re: Indignity Dog

Great expression! Made me laugh out loud.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
gement wrote:The drawing is clean, but I don't understand how the reference works. I understood both "React" and "Meh," but thumbs up to... dog someone?

Maybe I don't spend enough time on Facebook to get this.

On Facebook, clicking the thumbs up means you like something. In this case, you like dogs.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Sweet doggie trio! Great to see your awesome work back in the derby, bass'.

gement

dot8927 wrote:I didn't trace it, I painted freehand from a photo I took as a guide. So I don't understand why this is rejected.

http://lisapahl.wordpress.com/
This shows how I paint.

You should definitely send email to Derby@woot.com and get them to fix this.

The detail, use of light, and slight forced perspective in your painting look a lot like what happens when people simply trace over photographs. People do that a lot in the Derby, and we don't have a lot of photorealistic professional portraiteers as entrants, so a conclusion was jumped to that in this case wasn't accurate.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: The butcher's dog

Yeah, this walks a fine line with the rules but the execution is top notch. Really well done.

mrwednesday

Re: Guardian of the Underworld

Rehash, retread, resub.

mrwednesday

Re: Dogmatic

This is really impressive. Phenomenal work.

mrwednesday

Re: doglazerz

It's quite refreshing to see people actually doing interesting things with the shirt space.

logicalcupcake

quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake

I love their expressions. The little pug down at the bottom really makes the shirt.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: A Horrible Accident

I love the colors with this one. I'm a sucker for colorful designs on a white tee. I know, I'm one of those weirdos who loves white shirts.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Party Hats!

I remember reading this far too many times. My daughter just loved it and I'm sure she would approve. The style is great and I love the choice of the lemon tee. +1

CHeliz85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHeliz85
Re: Don't Be Fooled By My Size

I love this shirt, but I think it would stand out better and I would love it so much more on dark grey instead of blue, still gmv