tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: dog gone puzzles



I think we also assumed that we print a lot of Star Wars related shirts, but I was surprised to see just how few it actually was when I ran the numbers...

- Out of roughly 1472 total shirts, 11 include some reference to Star Wars. Personally, I had an image in my head of 30+ for some reason.

- Out of roughly 635 derby winning shirts, 5 were Star Wars related.

- Out of roughly 58 editor's picks, 1 was Star Wars related.

I'm not sure how many Star Wars shirts have been submitted to the derby, which would be a good indicator on how much of an "easy print" Star Wars really is. My guess it's not as easy as many (myself included) assumed.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
Re: Anatomically Incorrect



So is this where I admit defeat? Can I submit this entry for consideration for the daily shirt? I simply submitted it too late. It's still a great design!

inishmore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages inishmore
penlight wrote:I like it!



Skateboarding bulldog! Aw love it!

gamingguru05


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gamingguru05
Re: Beware of Dogwood



I wish the poignant submissions would win a little more often.

mattlussier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=56274]Phido



Just 2 dogs.. that know exactly what they are gonna do this summer...




nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Ready to Roll!



I was researching something else and came across a photo of a dog in a pet wheelchair. The little critters are so endearing - THEY don't know they're handicapped! And kudos to owners who provide their furry loved ones with the means to live a good life.

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: REX



WOW... Awesome!!!

dijay


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijay
Re: I hate my life



Great :D

DirkDDarring


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirkDDarring
taternuggets wrote:Sometimes designs get lost without any real rhyme or reason. A large percentage of voters seem to focus only on the fog or the hotness. It's rare, although not unheard of, for a late submission to catch on. To be completely honest with you, I did not even notice your entry until I saw this comment in the main comment thread. It's a great entry and certainly is worth more votes in my opinion.

I personally scramble to submit by the deadline as I've seen how important it is to "hit early."

Edited to add: That yellow never seems to be a fan favorite either.



Thanks for the encouragement, I wish I had submitted earlier but I work on and old imac and it decided it didn't want to cooperate Thursday night so I had to do what I could when it let me. Feed back is very important though and when you never hear anything you can get discouraged. Thanks again.

Michael Irwin
Graphic artist
www.wix.com/idforu/idforu

devilzukin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages devilzukin
Re: A-paw-calypse Now



I really want this shirt! Needs to get back into the fog and win!

ccazabon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
chumpmagic wrote:I don't know, it hard to say it was "rushed" since it would only take a matter of minutes to fix it and would have made a world of difference. I think its just a bad eye... every artist gets it from time to time but this one is pretty big and noticeable in my opinion (the middle dogs ears is a more forgivable one... kind of).


Incase he does want to resub it... here is what I am talking about. I don't think he will since he is in the fog. I don't know if I would, but eh... took only like 20 seconds, so here it is:



Darn it, Chump...your "fix" definitely adds a world of difference that, before seeing it, only slightly bothered me. :P

collinvh


quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh

I know it's super late in the derby but I like this design much better. It ties into its reference better. The splatter is more fitting of the movie and my own style. Thanks for the great comments on my first entry.

I think tommytrex said it best:
"Are you going to bark all day...little doggie...or are you going to bite?" 

I hope you enjoy. Please vote...quickly.

collinvh


quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh

I know it's super late in the derby but I prefer this design over my first entry. It ties into the reference better and the splatter is more fitting of the movie and my own style. Thanks for the great comments on my first shirt.

I think tommytrex said it best:
"Are you going to bark all day...little doggie...or are you going to bite?" 


I hope you enjoy. Please vote...quickly.

offthink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages offthink
Re: Belly Rub



This is so fun to look at. You captured the emotions so accurately I can't help but giggle inside every time I look at it. If cameras took photographs that look like stick figures, this could totally be a picture of me and my dog. Very nicely done.

marzipanapple


quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

A very late nod to a favorite animation of mine. Meaningless internet points for the correct guess!

gement


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Reservoir Dogs - RESUB



Voted! This is great, and even more recognizable.

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
tgentry wrote:I think we also assumed that we print a lot of Star Wars related shirts, but I was surprised to see just how few it actually was when I ran the numbers...

- Out of roughly 1472 total shirts, 11 include some reference to Star Wars. Personally, I had an image in my head of 30+ for some reason.

- Out of roughly 635 derby winning shirts, 5 were Star Wars related.

- Out of roughly 58 editor's picks, 1 was Star Wars related.

I'm not sure how many Star Wars shirts have been submitted to the derby, which would be a good indicator on how much of an "easy print" Star Wars really is. My guess it's not as easy as many (myself included) assumed.



I think the bigger message here is that of the Star Wars designs that have printed, or are currently riding the Fog and/or Hotness in this derby, the actual theme is only shoe-horned into the SW-based idea so as not to be rejected. It's quite an easy formula when all you have to do is Darth Vader + (theme)= Profit!!

Personally I think it's lazy and despicable.

EDIT: You're also ignoring the fact that a majority of the derbies have included a "No Star Wars" rule for this very reason

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

SeedUvPain wrote:. It's quite an easy formula when all you have to do is Darth Vader + (theme)= Profit!!




I don't know that that message is backed by the reality of what actually wins. If you're talking about an isolated incident or within a one or two week span, then I guess I overestimated the scope of the criticism, in which case dumping stats on the overall print history is not really relevant. If that's the case, then I'm sorry for butting in.

I said before there were five derby winners related to Star Wars, but it may actually be four. I think I counted the Editor's Pick as a derby winner. With only four Star Wars related derby winners to date it's pretty easy to look them all over:

Tin: Old Skool
Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier
Poker Game
Substitute Teacher

I'll leave it up to you on what you think is shoehorned in (I think in most cases, Star Wars was referenced effectively and with a purpose), but with only four winners it doesn't seem like it's as big a problem as expected. Maybe people are also taking exception with entries getting a decent amount of votes, but not necessarily winning, I don't really know.

This came out as one of the big surprises when I tagged all of the shirts and has since led us to reexamine if Star Wars was such a big deal in the derby to begin with. That's what drew me to responding to this design. I don't have stats on how many times the No Star Wars rule was applied, but even if it was around for half the derbies (which seems unlikely), that's still over 100 derbies and only four prints. We have a lot of stats minded people here, so maybe someone could figure out how many times No Star Wars has shown up to give a better estimate.

If you guys feel like Star Wars is an instant vote and print getter here, you're welcome to that opinion. I'm just putting this out there as food for thought, because it came as a surprise to us just how little it's won in the past. Maybe it is just the No Star Wars rule, I'd be interested to know.

akobylarek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akobylarek
Re: Beware of Dogwood



I really appreciate the gentle fade off on the edges, it really makes the picture feel like a part of the shirt as opposed to just being on the shirt.

+1

SeedUvPain


quality posts: 11 Private Messages SeedUvPain
tgentry wrote:I don't know that that message is backed by the reality of what actually wins. If you're talking about an isolated incident or within a one or two week span, then I guess I overestimated the scope of the criticism, in which case dumping stats on the overall print history is not really relevant. If that's the case, then I'm sorry for butting in.

I said before there were five derby winners related to Star Wars, but it may actually be four. I think I counted the Editor's Pick as a derby winner. With only four Star Wars related derby winners to date it's pretty easy to look them all over:

Tin: Old Skool
Faster, Higher, Stronger, Aimier
Poker Game
Substitute Teacher

I'll leave it up to you on what you think is shoehorned in (I think in most cases, Star Wars was referenced effectively and with a purpose), but with only four winners it doesn't seem like it's as big a problem as expected. Maybe people are also taking exception with entries getting a decent amount of votes, but not necessarily winning, I don't really know.

This came out as one of the big surprises when I tagged all of the shirts and has since led us to reexamine if Star Wars was such a big deal in the derby to begin with. That's what drew me to responding to this design. I don't have stats on how many times the No Star Wars rule was applied, but even if it was around for half the derbies (which seems unlikely), that's still over 100 derbies and only four prints. We have a lot of stats minded people here, so maybe someone could figure out how many times No Star Wars has shown up to give a better estimate.

If you guys feel like Star Wars is an instant vote and print getter here, you're welcome to that opinion. I'm just putting this out there as food for thought, because it came as a surprise to us just how little it's won in the past. Maybe it is just the No Star Wars rule, I'd be interested to know.



Perhaps the numbers don't support the "instant print getter" claim, and perhaps I should give Woot voters more credit for NOT putting every pop-culture reference through. Mine is more a personal gripe regarding the types of designs we see from talented and/or respected artists on this board whenever the "no Star Wars" or "no pop culture" rule is lifted. I could set my watch to it. I'm not saying I haven't incorporated pop culture into my own designs...I have. I understand the lure of it. It's much easier to plop somebody else's idea into a drawing and rely on the voter/buyer to just say "I recognize that, me buy". But it's seriously every week with some of these artists and it's...i don't know...depressing

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: The Quick Brown Dog Jumped Over the Lazy Fox



"The Quick Brown Dog Jumps Over the Lazy Fox"

A role reversal of the phrase "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". It always bothered me that the fox was brown. I always thought the dog should've been the brown one. There are halftones on the dog and under the fox.

blinddog3d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blinddog3d
paigeg wrote:I was researching something else and came across a photo of a dog in a pet wheelchair. The little critters are so endearing - THEY don't know they're handicapped! And kudos to owners who provide their furry loved ones with the means to live a good life.



No photos!

ptotti


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptotti
Re: Anatomically Incorrect



Great shirt! I want one!

jstjred


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
Re: Reservoir Dogs - RESUB



Voted for both...I'd buy either anywhere it prints

jstjred


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
Re: Reservoir Dogs - RESUB



Voted for both...I'd buy either anywhere it prints

kinkajou1015


quality posts: 8 Private Messages kinkajou1015
Re: The Quick Brown Dog Jumped Over the Lazy Fox



It's a beautiful design, I hope it jumps near the top of the pack. I would definitely buy it so people will go "what?"

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: A great disturbance at the dog park



Thanks Shilom and elmosuperman!

@nblottie-it's not quite there and time is running out. No worries though, looking forward to purchasing your stellar Boba Fetch design this week.

jstjred


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
Re: The Quick Brown Dog Jumped Over the Lazy Fox



Do the kids even get this? Have they ever seen a typewriter? Aren't you missing your "s"?

I always learned it as "jumps" not "jumped".

Great design either way...I'd love it for nostalgia and days of hatred over a typewriter.

kinkajou1015


quality posts: 8 Private Messages kinkajou1015
blinddog3d wrote:No photos!



I wasn't going to vote for this design initially as I personally am not fond of the art style or the color choices, let alone the subject matter, but I always check each entry when I try to vote to make sure, there are several I wouldn't have voted for on thumbnail alone yet detail won me over, and some thumbnails that won me over but details that made me gag.

Then the detail I wasn't really fond of the subject matter like I said, in the sense that I would feel bad with a shirt that had a dog in a pet wheelchair and wearing it would make me feel like I was promoting hurting animals to watch them frolic with these pet wheelchairs. And I also am not a fan of the colorizing technique.

Then BD3D walks in, barks nonsense, and I have to vote +1 to this design, just to spite him, partly because his entry this week fist the thumbnail wins me over but the detail is gah, partly because he has a known history with infringing on other people's work, and partly because I swear I've seen his little white fluffy dog before but I can't place where.

Anyway, I'm just saying, you have my vote, paigeg. I'm not really fond of many of your derby entries (really the derby 183 entry you did was the one I like the most of the entries I see), but I'll give you a vote to try and rise.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 128 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
jstjred wrote:Do the kids even get this? Have they ever seen a typewriter? Aren't you missing your "s"?

I always learned it as "jumps" not "jumped".

Great design either way...I'd love it for nostalgia and days of hatred over a typewriter.



LOL. It's still used some times when you look at the fonts on the computer. That's where I first saw it.

Sorry I messed up on the title. Argh it's such a minor thing and it's such a late entry into the derby that I don't really want to resub. Even though I just keep looking at it. =I I'll send a note to woot that it's supposed to be "jumps". It should be easy to fix later since it's not on the shirt itself.

Thanks for the comment.

blk909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Serious Habits Die Hard



Turn off your adblockers and vote for this awesome shirt! Or View larger design here:
http://i.imgur.com/uyHwD.jpg

limonmix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages limonmix
marzipanapple wrote:A very late nod to a favorite animation of mine. Meaningless internet points for the correct guess!



Totoro! One of my favorite movies too. Dogbus is very cute, I like the sketchy line style.

cherylfrancis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
Re: Anatomically Incorrect



Thank you, verrrry much! Disappointing that it didn't do better. I know a lot of people that want to buy my art on a shirt, just not willing to part with 10 bucks on a different shirt in order to vote. I don't get that about people. Surely they know somebody they can buy a shirt for!!

TwoGunGus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TwoGunGus
Re: dog gone puzzles



My question is why this was rejected but "A Great Disturbance at the Dog Park" was not. Not trying to be a Vader Hater, but in all fairness Vader is pretty recognizable in either submission.

psychotik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychotik
m5rammy wrote:qr code says: market://search?q=pname:com.softlayer

or, to see it in your non-mobile browser
market.android.com/details?id=com.softlayer



Errr, ok thanks ^^

cindererz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cindererz
Re: Life's Ruff



so clever and cute .

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
dianabosworth wrote:Your art has a way of capturing expression and whimsy while remaining simple and looking effortless. (And I am lovin the choice to put it on navy.)




bunnyhen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunnyhen
Re: National Anthem



i lovemusic sebastian age 5

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: Best in Show



Innocent till proven guilty. GMV