steeleo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steeleo

It's not a joke it's a social commentary.

There are 3 supposedly incredibly advanced machines hunting in the ocean for each other and yet are unable to find each other (note that none of the periscopes match up with another object).

Just below them are prehistoric era beings who are superior hunters evidenced by their ability to see each other and their enemies (Octopi vs. Sharks).

It's a comment on the idea that technology is superior to nature showing that nature, though viewed inferior, can be much more effective than our technology.

......or it's just a shirt with subs, sharks, and an octopus.

markharris231

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markharris231
Assassin15 wrote:Do submarines normally have anchors? I thought they always had to keep moving, like sharks or something.

Contrary to this (little held) belief, subs can remain motionless for a period of time as long as they are anchored facing into a prevailing ocean current so that they have adequate water flow over their gills. *blink*

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
mm1sssw wrote:But the anchors don't look like that....if you can keep em'. Inside tuber joke.

Lost three in my stay...

jstjred

bblhed wrote:The Bubble Head in me wants one, yet the A-ganger in me says if I buy one I should be slapped with a wrench. What to do?

You mean the a-ganger in you says "It is "Submarine"-er shipmate. I am not a sub-mariner." (Never met an a-ganger who wasn't a diggit. But good for them.)

jstjred

loaba wrote:The nose-mounted .50 is a nice touch on the, err, USS Narwhale.

Ha! That was why they called it the USS Narwhal! I'm going to kick my buddy for not telling me this after he decom'ed it.

Robsoul

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Robsoul

Robsoul likes to wait to the climax of German submarine movies and then yell “Das Boot! Das Boot! Das Boot is on fire!”

hahaha, great write up and so true. I think I yelled that at the end of Black Swan too.

majinshinsa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages majinshinsa

being on my second boat, had to buy one for me and my 2 sons. 774 here

emdeardo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emdeardo
lokitehtrickster wrote:I just... Really really don't get this shirt. Like, seriously.

What's the joke here?

agree. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one missing....whatever it is...

jgreen0101

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jgreen0101
mooglechocobo wrote:You mean there's a black Stormy?

Now, err, umm... was that the White Debbie or the Black Debbie?

charcustom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charcustom
SAMHAIN9385 wrote:760 represent!

I'm from Oceanside, too. Neato!

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba

Wow, this whole thread blows my mind today, a few comments.

1. The shirt isn't a reference or joke, don't you people read the post or PONY PONY PONY!'s? Prof Hotpants picked it and said that it means nothing, it's just awesome on it's own. One of my favorite woot shirts is a velociraptor with a mustachio riding a victorian bicycle. It doesn't mean a damn thing, it is what it is.

2. Nobody is claiming to *get* the shirt and refusing to tell, that's just people making jokes about the Condition: October thing, which is a woot inside joke about the movie The Hunt for Red October, a movie about submarines.

3. Who cares if nobody gets your shirt? Wear a shirt because you like it, not because other people do. If somebody asks you what it means tell them it means nothing, submarines and sharks are just cool. Maybe you noobs should just stick with your A&F logo shirts. :P

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
bluetuba wrote:Wow, this whole thread blows my mind today, a few comments.

1. The shirt isn't a reference or joke, don't you people read the post or PONY PONY PONY!'s? Prof Hotpants picked it and said that it means nothing, it's just awesome on it's own. One of my favorite woot shirts is a velociraptor with a mustachio riding a victorian bicycle. It doesn't mean a damn thing, it is what it is.

2. Nobody is claiming to *get* the shirt and refusing to tell, that's just people making jokes about the Condition: October thing, which is a woot inside joke about the movie The Hunt for Red October, a movie about submarines.

3. Who cares if nobody gets your shirt? Wear a shirt because you like it, not because other people do. If somebody asks you what it means tell them it means nothing, submarines and sharks are just cool. Maybe you noobs should just stick with your A&F logo shirts. :P

Well played, Sir!

jwedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwedel

Changing the sub-ject, I'm a sucker for a shirt with Octopi.

Hvoltage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hvoltage
mooglechocobo wrote:You mean there's a black Stormy?

AHAHAHAHA *wipes away single tear*

Be excellent to each other

Hvoltage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hvoltage

Good show!
I personally really like this shirt BECAUSE its abstract in a way and doesn't have a message or a joke or some subtle meaning or whatever. Can't people appreciate some really interesting, unique, artsy or abstract shirts for just what they are; aesthetically enjoyable images that some will be drawn to, and others would prefer other designs that speak more to their personal tastes?

Personally I'm getting a bit tired of every shirt either being a cute death bunnykitten, or a reference to a tv show/movie/whatever. Not that those things are necessarily bad, but sometimes having a totally random shirt that just feels "like you" is the best thing.
/blather

Be excellent to each other

annieflies

quality posts: 12 Private Messages annieflies
SAMHAIN9385 wrote:760 represent!

720 woot! huntin old school baby.

oops, pardon me, i wooted

bhcompy

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bhcompy

Cool shirt.

And, to me, doesn't look like it has a point. Looks a lot like the stuff I used to doodle in class when I was bored. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Escargoexpress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Escargoexpress

The Velociraptor on a Velocipede was a pun, actually

I do love the design for being quirky yet understated, but wish the tshirt was another color

mm1sssw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mm1sssw
jstjred wrote:Ha! That was why they called it the USS Narwhal! I'm going to kick my buddy for not telling me this after he decom'ed it.

You mean there wasn't a large sonar mast sticking out of the nose? Dohhh

mm1sssw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mm1sssw
annieflies wrote:720 woot! huntin old school baby.

728 come and find me.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
Escargoexpress wrote:The Velociraptor on a Velocipede was a pun, actually

Villainous Victorian Velociraptor on a Velocipde, yeah.. the theme is V but the combination of those things is pretty oddball random.

darkfoxtdg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkfoxtdg

What it is is that each submarine looks like a type of undersea creature. One is a whale, one a narwhal, and the last one is a shark I suppose.

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86
bhcompy wrote:Cool shirt.

And, to me, doesn't look like it has a point. Looks a lot like the stuff I used to doodle in class when I was bored. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes. I think this shirt looks like a daydream. I love that it doesn't have a reference, it means I can wear it simply because I like it... and I can also imagine my own story to go along with it :-)

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady

I am one who was curious about the meaning of this shirt, and I read every single post... and I'm pretty much over the sarcasm and superiority. Here's the thing - I buy shirts for my nerdy 12-year-old nephew, my 77 year old mom, my sister. Woot is an inexpensive way for me to say, "hey, I'm thinking of you, and I know you're into Star Wars, or Harry Potter, or math, or garden gnomes, or whatever, and I thought you would like this." I don't get a whole lot of the references on the shirts so I try to be careful. I'd feel pretty stupid if I sent my mom a T-shirt that turned out to have some obscure message that she found offensive. Please don't make fun of us who ask what a shirt means - our money spends just like y'alls!

Choronos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Choronos

This shirt design owns, submarines in the deepest black of the sea and one of em has an anchor mickey moused on to it. BOUGHT.

My boss at work was explaining something to me, then he stopped to stare at the design of my t-shirt, then 15 seconds later he continued.

jfrusk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfrusk

Does anyone have one of these in a size large to sell?

sg1nsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sg1nsd

the anchor looks like a mushroom. Long live the 637's!

sg1nsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sg1nsd
markharris231 wrote:Contrary to this (little held) belief, subs can remain motionless for a period of time as long as they are anchored facing into a prevailing ocean current so that they have adequate water flow over their gills. *blink*

Subs don't need to be anchored to remain motionless. They can hover on one place for days at a time. With a zero bubble & minimal movement of the crew. Been their done it.