coffeybean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeybean
Re: Dead Battery

How's this hipster going to make through the day without his ipod?! What a tragedy.

coffeybean

Re: The Apple Core

Once again I have to say, this is a really cool idea. Great job! +1

coffeybean

Re: See No Hipster, Hear No Hipster, Speak No Hipster

Nice drawing. I'm almost afraid to ask what the brown things on the ground are...oh those crazy monkeys. Good job.

coffeybean

Re: Neighborhood thrift store

Gread idea and cute designs.

coffeybean

Re: Prehipstoric

Haha. love this.

coffeybean

Re: Ironic Bunny

Great character. Who wouldn't want this little hopster.

coffeybean

Re: The Right to Remain Awesome

This is just too cool. Very well done.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

laggyg wrote:So is "music" what these hipsters call hallucinogenic drugs? Last time I saw pupils THAT big I was...erm...what? Oh, nothing. Nevermind...

You're so funny, laggy...well the notes are a little crazy (normal musical notation is so mainstream, lol!), as pointed out by the next poster posting after you.

coffeybean

Re: Cool Blooded

Great style!

coffeybean

Re: Trying to Stand Out

Well played good sir!

dooomcat

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dooomcat
lucky1988 wrote:great work, love their expressions!

Thanks Lucky... I picked up Velociraptor loves Cupcakes! I always liked that one from when I first saw it here

coffeybean

Here are a few close up shots.

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Cool Blooded

My favorite is the top hat turtle but I really like them all. Great work.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Hipsterness

Awww this is so cute! This would be a huge hit here at the ACL festival in Austin. We are swimming in hipster-nesses right now, hahaha. Great character, Jadenkale!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

That's funny, GMV

yeoldegnurd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yeoldegnurd
Re: The Right to Remain Awesome

Looks too much like Joe Camel for my taste.

dga

smklung

quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
Re: Couldn't Care Less Bear

Wow Ramyb!!! This is the first shirt you've made that i actually like.

berona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berona

yeah, I wanted to see what a long eared fish would looks like....finally, someone gets it haha

Thinaeariel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thinaeariel
Re: See No Hipster, Hear No Hipster, Speak No Hipster

Best one so far. Vote, people!

citrusbug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citrusbug
Re: Indie Turtle

Here's the color corrected version (the pantone version it will print as. Why Ramy won't use the real colors is beyond me). I'm neutral on these things, but I feel like people should know what they're REALLY voting on. If you still like it, by all means vote.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
citrusbug wrote:Here's the color corrected version (the pantone version it will print as. Why Ramy won't use the real colors is beyond me). I'm neutral on these things, but I feel like people should know what they're REALLY voting on. If you still like it, by all means vote.]

The tricky thing with pantones is that the way they appear on each individual screen is radically different- you can't say that this is how it will look, because how it looks to you is completely different from how it looks on another screen. I look at my entries on three different screens, and the colors are radically different- I'm not sure why this entry is being picked on in particular when at least half the fog is not pantone selected- Ultimately, woot adjusts the colors based on what will best print- sometimes they do a white underlayer, other times they don't. That has a huge impact on how the colors print. Another factor is the shirt color itself, which reflects differently on the colors. Since I have no experience in the print industry, I choose colors the way I want the shirts to turn out. Until now, I haven't been disappointed with woot's printing. Are the colors always exactly what they look like on my screen? No, but ultimately they work and are closer to what I want than the pantone selections photoshop gives me can get. The colors I chose here, on my screen, are as close as I can get to what I've seen woot print before. The adjusted colors you did here are just a guess as to which pantone woot will select, and even if it is the correct choice, likely looks much different from how it is on the shirt.

tehscatman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehscatman

Perfect.

There is no want; I need this shirt.

thunderboltenterprises

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thunderboltenterprises
Re: Where are they now: Geoffrey Giraffe

I'm a Toys-R-Us kid...

Vote Please

azumidoom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azumidoom

This is by far the best design in this derby. It's both clever and skillfully executed. If it doesn't print here, I hope you'll take it elsewhere. This NEEDS to be a shirt.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong

Why does he have whiskers (freckles?) on only one side of his nose?

Even with that, it's still pretty good. I especially like the scarf

I love this website! ^^

smblion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smblion

this has to win

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

I love it! and amazing style!

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Ironic Bunny

Awesome job Walmazan! Love the hat. Makes me wish I hadn't been on a cruise for the last 3 days so I could work up an entry. Hope to see this one print, my daughter would love it!

hachartz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hachartz

I like the idea on the shirt, but all I see are the nostrils. It freaks me out.

Earlysong

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Earlysong
citrusbug wrote:Here's the color corrected version (the pantone version it will print as. Why Ramy won't use the real colors is beyond me). I'm neutral on these things, but I feel like people should know what they're REALLY voting on. If you still like it, by all means vote.

It looks exactly the same to me as Ramyb's version...

I love this website! ^^

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74
dooomcat wrote:Is anyone else having problems uploading designs???
I had this already to go at the start of the derby yesterday and I kept getting a page is busy error. I think I tried 20 times to upload this since then and got the same response every time until I just did it again but didn't submit the print ready file (which is well under 4 mb) and it finally went through.
I've never had this problem before and now I've lost over a day of potential votes

I had the same problem. Print-ready file was way under the file size limit, but the submission just would. not. load. until I removed the print-ready and submitted without it.

walmazan

Re: Listening to Who?

This is so good Audrey! I hope it print!

boshimi336

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boshimi336
Re: Lemming Flavored

hyuk, this thing is pretty cool!

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: So Meta

Oh, I really want this back in the fog...and in the top 3...and in my kid's closet.

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
ramyb wrote:The tricky thing with pantones is that the way they appear on each individual screen is radically different- you can't say that this is how it will look, because how it looks to you is completely different from how it looks on another screen. I look at my entries on three different screens, and the colors are radically different- I'm not sure why this entry is being picked on in particular when at least half the fog is not pantone selected- Ultimately, woot adjusts the colors based on what will best print- sometimes they do a white underlayer, other times they don't. That has a huge impact on how the colors print. Another factor is the shirt color itself, which reflects differently on the colors. Since I have no experience in the print industry, I choose colors the way I want the shirts to turn out. Until now, I haven't been disappointed with woot's printing. Are the colors always exactly what they look like on my screen? No, but ultimately they work and are closer to what I want than the pantone selections photoshop gives me can get. The colors I chose here, on my screen, are as close as I can get to what I've seen woot print before. The adjusted colors you did here are just a guess as to which pantone woot will select, and even if it is the correct choice, likely looks much different from how it is on the shirt.

I need to chime in on this as a printer. Before I do, I want to be clear and separate myself, I am not attacking in any way. I just have a pet peeve for incorrect information. Truth be told I like a lot of Ramy's art and try to stay out of the controversies because It's just bad business.

Yes, a Pantone color will look different on every single computer screen and print differently on every single DIGITAL printer. But, the reason we work in a Pantone pallet is because when ink is used, it will print the same every single time. There are 2 reasons I can think of Woot wants us to use the Pantone Solid Coated Pallet. Reason #1, it is the closest digital representation of a Pantone color. Reason #2, when performing color separations for print, you can't perform them easily with spot colors. When I design a letterhead, logo, business card or anything else that is to be printed offset (with ink on a press) I use Pantone colors, except when I'm doing a 4 color process job (CMYK.) It's simply the industry standard. It makes life easier for the printer and in the end, you know what you're going to get every single time. When you attempt to perform color separations on a spot color job, the computer assumes you want to separate it into CMYK.

Now in the case of this shirt, that green simply isn't achievable using the Pantone color pallet. The best thing I could think of doing to achieve it is putting white behind it and doing a screen of a specific Pantone green. But even that wouldn't be exact, and I wouldn't expect Woot to go to the trouble to do it. I expect they would simply put an eyedropper to the green he is using and print using the closest Pantone match, which is the new green you see in that sample in the comments. As I said earlier, it won't print looking exactly like that green, but it's certainly closer and more accurate that the green currently represented in the design comp.

Now, is this really such a big deal? In my personal opinion, I don't think so. Woot may have a different opinion on the matter, but they've been printing from Ramy's art for quite a long time and I'm sure they have their own little system of setting up his art files for print. So it's probably just a moot point. I just wanted to correct Ramy on his explanation of Pantone colors, because in reality it is a universal color pallet that illustrates a representation of how a color will print EVERY SINGLE TIME in ink. The best way to see an accurate Pantone color representation is with a Pantone color flip chart, which is quite pricey. In fact, I keep my flip chart at my desk at work hidden away from light to keep the colors on it from getting degraded. It's simply that important.

I wish Ramy lot's of luck and success. Like I said, I like some of his designs. This one's not my cup of tea but it's a to each his own situation. If anything I hope my comment here was educational and not controversial.

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC

Also, I forgot to mention, with regard to color separations, if Ramy prepares his art files like most of the artists here, his files are probably already color separated. I know in my case, I keep all the pantone colors on their own separate layers and delete everything beneath each individual color so I have no overlapping colors or halftones. If Woot wants to layer a white vignette beneath my art, that's up to them as the screen printing professionals. So the color separation point may be moot also. But the recolored green is the closest digital representation to how the Pantone color will print if your monitor is calibrated reasonably.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Disadvintaged

A single-speed long player. Optimal cruising speed of 33 1/3 rpm. The best way to ensure you are streets ahead and decades behind everyone else.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
ramyb wrote:The tricky thing with pantones is that the way they appear on each individual screen is radically different- you can't say that this is how it will look, because how it looks to you is completely different from how it looks on another screen I look at my entries on three different screens, and the colors are radically different

Well if both images (yours and the one with the correct color) were the pantone green, then both images would look the same be cause they are being viewed on the SAME SCREEN. Screen or monitor will not magically atler information for that color swatch, silly. That is a poor excuse and an awkward argument, especially since you admit that you don't use pantone colors below.

ramyb wrote: I'm not sure why this entry is being picked on in particular when at least half the fog is not pantone selected-

Yes, at least half the fog are your designs and they probably aren't pantone colors either

It is because you use bright green (and other bright colors a lot) all the time when its is the incorrect color. It is misleading, and dishonorable if intentional. What people see is what people should get. Basically, its time to draw the line, but all I can really do is ask you nicely (which I did above). Patrick and Walzman are a similar story as you and they can do it...

Also, the newer artist might not know better, so we cut them slack.

ramyb wrote: Ultimately, woot adjusts the colors based on what will best print

I had made this mistake with my first print, and woot messed it up big time. It was partly my fault but I was new and didn't know any better and woot went back and corrected it which was really awesome. But even if you do trust woot, you should care about your artwork, ensuring it looks the way you want to in its final state, and NOT HAVE THEM DO YOUR WORK FOR YOU! That is just lazy, and doesn't benefit anyone (except yourself if you don't care about your art)...

ramyb wrote: sometimes they do a white underlayer, other times they don't. That has a huge impact on how the colors print. Another factor is the shirt color itself, which reflects differently on the colors. Since I have no experience in the print industry, I choose colors the way I want the shirts to turn out. Until now, I haven't been disappointed with woot's printing. Are the colors always exactly what they look like on my screen? No, but ultimately they work and are closer to what I want than the pantone selections photoshop gives me can get. The colors I chose here, on my screen, are as close as I can get to what I've seen woot print before. The adjusted colors you did here are just a guess as to which pantone woot will select, and even if it is the correct choice, likely looks much different from how it is on the shirt.

Blah blah blah. I ask you nicely to use pantone swatches. You can keep making up pointless excuses and continues on a misleading path or you could acknowledge us and convert your design to pantone, before you send it to woot, like a good, respectable, hard working artist would

Again, on the off chance you don't know how to convert your colors, then speak up and I will gladly help you out.

____

Earlysong wrote:It looks exactly the same to me as Ramyb's version...

If you put the colors side by side, you would notice the difference. The pantone green is not as good in my opinion. It is less vibrant and a little more dull. The design still works and most people won't care, so why not show people what they would actually get, right?

walmazan

tsherm73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsherm73