stoneye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stoneye
Re: Hipster Nation: DIY or DIE!

Alright this rules.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
PixelPants wrote:A single-speed long player. Optimal cruising speed of 33 1/3 rpm. The best way to ensure you are streets ahead and decades behind everyone else.

Better kick it up to 45 rpm, at 33 1/3 you're going less than 3 mph.

omegabender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omegabender
chumpmagic wrote:Is this art you? It has the same moon a clouds.

Yes it is.

JJrodny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJrodny
Re: Who cares what I thought I saw...

How has no one said anything about this yet?? I want!

crankylefty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crankylefty
Re: Too Hip for the Circus

Nice work. I like the textures in this.

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
omegabender wrote:Yes it is.

k Just checking. Promoted and followed

kajlies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kajlies

Amazing.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Re: Hipster Chick

A literal interpretation of a hipster chick. Five colors on black (lt green, green, yellow, brown, and white).

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Re: A Taste for Hipster Fashion

As a hipster friend of mine might say,

ADORBS.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Re: right as rain

Oh wow, I adore this. I love the colors. I love the animals' tone-on-tone plaids going in different directions. I love the fact that it doesn't scream "hipster" until you look at the details (the dinosaur's mustache, the giraffe's extra scarf). And I LOVE that there's a llama* on it! Nice change from all the sheep shirts (even though I like some of those too).

* I guess it might be an alpaca? It'd be hard to tell them apart in this graphic style.

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

anisaze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anisaze
Re: Scoff. Cooler than you.

So why exactly are is the penguin frozen? I'd like it a lot better with the sunglasses but not on ice. . .

omegabender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omegabender
chumpmagic wrote:k Just checking. Promoted and followed

Thanks. Good eye too btw. ;)

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
hikerjohnd wrote:But the hate and discontent aimed at Ramyb seems disproportionate to that aimed at other artists. Ramyb is a talented artists who gives the public what they want - the volume of ramys art that gets printed is evidence of that!

What makes you think the "hate and discontent" should be proportionate? There is no denying Ramyb gives the public what they want. Such is the discontent of some people here. That is not necessarily the only gripe people here have, though. This is why Jaden suggests sweetpea stick around, instead of jumping to conclusions regarding other people's motives, particularly since endangeredomega's comment was, I understand, a humorous take on the derby theme.

ritaroobias

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ritaroobias
Re: So Meta

This. Must. Print.

berona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages berona

thank you very much. This is only my second one so I am still trying to get the hang of it....but I am having fun

mercurymay39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mercurymay39
Re: Velveteen Underground

Also a great name for a cover band Nice job.

crazydoglady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
hikerjohnd wrote:But the hate and discontent aimed at Ramyb seems disproportionate to that aimed at other artists. Ramyb is a talented artists who gives the public what they want - the volume of ramys art that gets printed is evidence of that!

I recently called Ramyb a marketing genius because I agree that he gives people what they want... but "marketing genius" and "talented artist" are two very different creatures. What gets printed is related to the number of votes... OK, I'm going to admit that I recently followed a link to a site that said a lot of unflattering things about ramyb and the source of his votes. I dismissed it all when I read it, wrote it off as an ugly feud gone public. But when I read the comments posted after his submissions in the last few derbies I start to wonder if maybe there is a grain of truth to it all - because quite frankly some of the posts (yours included) are reminiscent of adoring teenage girls posting about their latest idol. Soooo - I haven't been around long and I refuse to jump on the "bash ramyb" bandwagon BUT I will say that when I read the gushing praise by voters like you it gets factored in to the opinion I am forming about ramyb. If he is truley as talented as you seem to think he is then you should be voting for his art and not worrying about his feelings.

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Disadvintaged

Love the style and nod to the old school phonograph. +1

JenXer74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JenXer74
AdderXYU wrote:because it aims for an actually-amusing concept which understands hipsters slightly more than "lol they wear glasses," while also being creative enough that a hipster could laugh at themselves enough to wear it.

In pushing for a creative idea, roger has cut off his chances of getting printed. I'd rather mourn that than see him do what others do weekly for the sake of a win.

The fog makes me sad. This shirt *so* deserves a printing.

gweenpenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gweenpenguin

lucky1988

quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
Re: hipster worm plank

planked!

IrieDragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IrieDragon

I really want this on a shirt.

dragonVSninja

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dragonVSninja

I already have like 4 or 5 shirts with owls and 2 or 3 shirts with records, but even still, I just looked through every submission and this is the only one I would buy and wear. Very nice~!

Re: Listening to Who?

smblion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smblion
Jthmeow wrote:Does anyone else feel like this might be treading on copyright infringement territory?

parody is immune

cwendauthi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwendauthi
citrusbug wrote:There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be submitting your designs NOT in pantone. There should be no reason why ANYONE (unless they're using MS paint) should not be submitting their designs in pantone so people can see the real design.
There should be a rule for pantone only colors imo if it's so common in derbies.

The other side of this argument is that no one should care what the image will look like on the shirt, and people are just voting on the idea since it's so vastly different on monitors

I don't even... You state something that contradicts what Ramy said, then immediately follow that up with a concession that he may have a valid point, all while not actually seeming to understand what he said.

Regardless, if woot's in the habit of tinkering with the coloring/print process in order to produce the best design they can, the customer isn't voting on what they see anyway.

chumpmagic wrote:Obviously we don't see eye to eye, so lets just keep this simple...

The same goes for you, really. He posted his opinion, and you back-hand insult him for it not once, but twice. Say what you will about Ramy, he usually stays pretty classy in his replies to attacks; at least in the shirt threads.

You can say he's wrong and hold a differing opinion, but his explanation ("excuses") seems to have some thought behind it and isn't just something he's doing/saying to be an asshat (unlike some other people).

He posts the design in the colors he wants the shirt to look like and let's woot take care of the actual printing color configuration. You can say that you had a bad experience with it, but he says he's had only positive experiences with it. Your anecdote is not more valid than his. If woot messes one of his shirts up, maybe he'll take another approach, but so far it works for him, and as far as I can see, it's not hurting anyone at all.

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
Re: Hipster Nation: DIY or DIE!

if only they could print that high... unfortunately it faces the rejectionator...
great concept though...

profbrendan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages profbrendan
asininity wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm somewhat of a newbie around here, but wasn't tjost's The Binge (one of the bestsellers here) a resub?

Yup.

smblion wrote:parody is immune

No, it isn't. That's why Tjost had to resub The Binge, and why there's usually several rejections every derby for being too close to copyrighted material.

heysammyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heysammyk
mattlussier wrote:if only they could print that high... unfortunately it faces the rejectionator...
great concept though...

Ack, really? I can only go up to the edge of the artboard or where? Must. Fix. This.

JadenKale

quality posts: 179 Private Messages JadenKale
heysammyk wrote:Ack, really? I can only go up to the edge of the artboard or where? Must. Fix. This.

Woot does not print past the collar line. In fact, it's best if you have your design start about an inch or so lower than where the collar hits.

coffeybean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeybean
Re: The Chase

Hipsters in the wild!

Unfortunately this one is pretty late, but the idea really made me laugh so I still had to try.

Here are some close ups.

heysammyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heysammyk
JadenKale wrote:Woot does not print past the collar line. In fact, it's best if you have your design start about an inch or so lower than where the collar hits.

Thanks! Anyway to upload a revision to an existing entry or do I have to re-enter and start from scratch? (anyone smell a newbie here?) :D

coffeybean

Re: hipsterpotamus!

I like the way it really feels like they are in the water. Great job.

JadenKale

cwendauthi wrote:
He posts the design in the colors he wants the shirt to look like and let's woot take care of the actual printing color configuration. You can say that you had a bad experience with it, but he says he's had only positive experiences with it. Your anecdote is not more valid than his. If woot messes one of his shirts up, maybe he'll take another approach, but so far it works for him, and as far as I can see, it's not hurting anyone at all.

The problem with this is, it should be the designer who dictates the color choices, not be lazy and assume the staff will know the right colors to print the design with.

Part of design is not just in the drawing or creation of the concept, it's in the final product, and that includes understanding color. That's why Pantone was created: to have a universal color palette across the print world. If you use color 185 C, you will ALWAYS get that red you see on coca-cola cans. It will never change unless the person mixing the colors makes a mistake. And if you can cough up a paltry $30 bucks or so on a used Pantone book from eBay (and I use the term "paltry" purely because he's made enough in tee money here to have bought possibly every artist 4 a piece), you can be respectful of the customers, the staff and the other designers competing with you. Hell, most of us don't have one, and we still use the Pantone coated list from Adobe's programs. Honestly, if you have the information available to you, I don't see why you wouldn't use it.

JadenKale

heysammyk wrote:Thanks! Anyway to upload a revision to an existing entry or do I have to re-enter and start from scratch? (anyone smell a newbie here?) :D

Sadly, yes, you need to re-enter and start from the beginning.

coffeybean

Re: slow jam

This is hilarious. The turtle is loving every minute of it.

nblottie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: The Chase

I have to say, you my friend are a illustration power house. All of your entries are great and are top notch quality! Keep up the awesome work and you'll score a print in no time. Best of luck!

JadenKale

AdderXYU wrote:I know why this isn't doing better, but as cynical and realistic and informed as I may be about the factors that are keeping it down, deep down I'll never fully understand why MJ's work doesn't at least fog more often.

At this point, MJ and I are debating as to where we'll place this week. I keep telling her she's going to beat my scarf off. XD

kyleboeckmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleboeckmann
Re: See No Hipster, Hear No Hipster, Speak No Hipster

Love this shirt. makes me laugh every time I look at it

kyleboeckmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleboeckmann
Re: Dead Battery

Love the expression on his face, very detailed, looks like he may day in about 15 minutes.