kyleboeckmann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleboeckmann
Re: HipCat - Tribute2Banksy



Edgy artwork, absolutely think this is one of the winners.

Nothing says gangster like graffiti. St8 HOODCAT.

drewpac18


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewpac18
Re: The Chase



I'm not a fan of the overuse of scarfs (scarves?) that's been going on with this derby, but yours are so ridiculous that they actually work perfectly.

kyleboeckmann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleboeckmann
Re: The Apple Core



It about time the worm gets some respect for being in the apple. All he's doing is setting up shop and is doing it gangster style.

Detail is great, true artwork.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
kyleboeckmann wrote:Edgy artwork, absolutely think this is one of the winners.

Nothing says gangster like graffiti. St8 HOODCAT.



Gangster? I thought this was a Hipster derby?

penlight


quality posts: 2 Private Messages penlight
Re: Before they sold out



Second favorite of all your submissions! Hope it wins.

coffeybean


quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeybean
nblottie wrote:I have to say, you my friend are a illustration power house. All of your entries are great and are top notch quality! Keep up the awesome work and you'll score a print in no time. Best of luck!



Thanks nblottie. I'm not sure about the whole power house thing, though. I just wish I would have found out about the whole derby thing sooner. It's a good challenge.

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Oh Well



Just in case you're missing it, this is Hipster Eeyore!

coffeybean


quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeybean
drewpac18 wrote:I'm not a fan of the overuse of scarfs (scarves?) that's been going on with this derby, but yours are so ridiculous that they actually work perfectly.



Yeah, I see your point. I have to admit I've been struggling with this theme so I kinda fell back on the scarf as an easy hipster tie in. Plus, I was trying to keep the clothing on these guys to a minimum and the scarves seemed like the best "hipster" accessory to do the job. Glad it still worked for ya.

jesseholt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesseholt
penlight wrote:Second favorite of all your submissions! Hope it wins.



Love it.

J!

jesseholt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jesseholt
Re: See No Hipster, Hear No Hipster, Speak No Hipster



Love this one. I think I saw all three of these guys working at Whole Foods.

J!

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
wojorider wrote:I like the idea, but the image quality needs to be raised



I've seen that cat before. I just can't place where. And by "seen it before" I'm unsure if it was dressed as such or if it's just the face I remember.

cleverconveyence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
hikerjohnd wrote:Ramyb is a talented artists who gives the public what they want - the volume of ramys art that gets printed is evidence of that!



You're half right.

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
burtonrider404 wrote:this shirt should be rejected. copyright kevin crimi



pix or it didn't happen.

move along

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: The Chase



I LOVE it!

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Hungry, Hungry Hipsters



This should have more votes! GMV

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Before they sold out



Very nice one!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
JadenKale wrote:Gangster? I thought this was a Hipster derby?



I'm not sure that really matters.

move along

omarfeliciano


quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Prehipstoric



I'm going to buy this on Friday ;)

ochopika


quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: The Chase



lol! All your designs are great! I expect to see a print soon...

purina


quality posts: 0 Private Messages purina
Re: Eight Arms Are Superior



Oh I want this! Octopi are so cool.

heysammyk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages heysammyk
Re: Hipster Nation: DIY or DIE!



Ack! A redo from my last entry because, well, I'm a newbie, and didn't realize Woot can't print as high as I had the dotted lines (*shakes fists at invisible woot in the room*). Please vote again if you liked it! (Thank you, JadenKale)

seamussmurf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages seamussmurf
Re: Scratch Pilgrim



  • WHY IS THIS NOT #1!?


  • 8foot2


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages 8foot2
    Re: Ironic Bunny



    i want that hat.

    elmosuperman


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman

    It was worth it, it made me laugh too. hahaha GMV

    elmosuperman


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman

    I dig it. GMV

    elmosuperman


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages elmosuperman

    Phineas and Ferb might be the best comedy on television; I'm not talking just cartoons either. You get my vote just for Perry.

    Spiritgreen


    quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
    Re: The Chase



    Another great piece of character work! Keep 'em coming, coffeybean! :^)

    Spiritgreen


    quality posts: 218 Private Messages Spiritgreen
    Re: The Apple Core



    Thanks -very- much guys!

    sunflowergirl17


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunflowergirl17
    Re: Ironic Bunny



    I want to kiss this shirt...great job!

    stevenlewton


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenlewton
    Re: Trying to Stand Out



    This is a great shirt. I almost want to see this bunny in a cartoon. Well done.

    j5


    quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
    Re: Damn Fine Coffee!



    Oh! I guess it was Perry.
    Sorry, to have played the Captain Obvious.

    move along

    tommytrex


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages tommytrex
    Re: The Chase



    This is my favorite entry in this derby! +1

    bennyd302


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages bennyd302
    Re: See No Hipster, Hear No Hipster, Speak No Hipster



    thanks for all the love everyone!
    just to clarify, those are meant to be rocks, not that other thing....

    chumpmagic


    quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
    cwendauthi wrote:

    You can say he's wrong and hold a differing opinion, but his explanation ("excuses") seems to have some thought behind it...



    Haha! You fool... That just what he wants you to think!

    ___

    But seriously, hear me out because this BENEFITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THE MOST (people who purchase his designs). Woot uses pantone solid coated colors for printing. Pantone solid coated colors are a set range of color, similar to having a box of color markers. It is limited, and not every color is available through the Pantone Solid coated collection. This means, if you don't pantone solid coated colors, then the art you submit to woot has absolutely 0% chance of looking similar to the art when printed. This means that the design you are viewing, voting for and potential purchasing WILL NEVER BE the same as the design you will get. This is what RamyB does, and he as openly admitted it above.

    And yes, his responses are excuses. There is no way to justify not using a Pantone Solid Coated swatch (we should be designing for t-shirt prints... not computer screens, right?). All he did was beat around the bush and avoid giving a direct response. And if you know anything about the topic at hand (which I can only assume you don't), you would know that most of his arguments/ excuses are hogwash. Do you know about digital art and printing? If you do, then you should understand why I didn't care for his "classy" replies.

    And for the record, RamyB has had issue with his prints in the past. He just avoided bringing it up because its a bad time to admit it. I seen many people complain about "Behold a pale horse" (or w/e that design is called), being way to dark to a point where you can only make out the horse. Also, I remember stumbling across this bad print . I don't even follow ramyB for the most part and that are two bad prints (there are probably more), and it is most likely because he doesn't properly set up his files. Yes, woot can go back and change them... and they did. However, every time they do that, they are losing money for something that isn't their fault. So yes, it does hurt someone... it hurts woots as well as the customers that have to go through this whole ordeal.

    Really, you shouldn't be defending on this one... I am not attacking him "just because." Converting your colors to a Pantone Solid Coated swatch is a very simple easy thing to do, and IT'S FOR YOUR (you the purchaser of ramyB shirts) OWN BENEFIT!!!


    chumpmagic


    quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
    Re: The Chase



    You got a really good style! Keep it up!


    cobaltgrl


    quality posts: 6 Private Messages cobaltgrl
    PixelPants wrote:Really like your menagerie of characters. The drawing style and neutral colour scheme suit it well. The arbitrary background shape and fine texture don't add anything to the design for me, unless I'm missing a reference to something.




    I agree - I love the characters, but the background is distracting and ruins it.

    ramyb


    quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
    chumpmagic wrote:snip



    I thought you were going to agree to disagree, but your goal is starting to look a little different (although that was clear from the beginning when you chose to single out this design when you know that it is far from the only one that is "guilty" of not utilizing pantone colors).

    There is a big difference between an excuse and an opinion. I presented a clear argument that you chose to entirely ignore and simply repeat what you had already stated. Putting words in caps doesn't make it stronger the second time around, it just makes it clear that you are here to argue.

    I understand exactly your point, and it's a fair one. And you did ask nicely in the first place. There are certain mistakes that I've made in the past (although the ones you mentioned were not a pantone issue, but rather a halftoning issue, the second of which was actually reprinted because there was a rash appearing on red's legs that was not actually in the print-ready file) and I have learned from them as a designer. The farthest off from what I had intended to design in terms of print colors, however, was on my first print ever, on which I sent woot a file that was pantone adjusted already. Half the colors ended up printing drastically brighter than they looked on my monitor, which disrupted the subtlety of the design that I had intended. With the my second design, I also sent in my file pantone color adjusted, and of the three that I purchased, two had a squirrel that was a light tan color, and the other was an orange color.

    Why is this the case? Because woot tinkers with the colors regardless of what is sent to them. On top of that, even if I owned a pantone color book to see the exact colors that will theoretically print, I can guarantee you that at least 99% of the voters do not have access to such a thing and therefore will see something on the shirt that is different from what they see on the monitor, whether the colors are pantones or not. There is a large enough library of pantone colors that designs come out pretty close no matter what shades you choose, especially if the colors selected are not too dark. So you can argue that not choosing pantones will mean that voters are looking at a design that is different from what they will see in print form, but 100% of the time that is the case if pantone colors are selected as well.

    I'm not sure what your intentions initially were in making your post, but if this is a noble crusade to make sure pantone colors are used in derby entries, you should reach out a little more and try to "educate" some of the other artists out there who aren't using them as well. I apologize if I have become a bit cynical over the years on woot, but it is extremely difficult for me not to doubt people's intentions at this point when they choose to come after me and condone the same issue everywhere else. I'm sure it was not a coincidence that you chose this entry- maybe it is because it is your favorite shade of green so it stood out to you, and that's fine.

    Next week I can give pantones a shot again and see how it goes, but it really doesn't matter. I'm just trying to explain to you that it's a moot point, because it doesn't make a bit of difference in the end and doesn't take any extra work to do, and it also doesn't make it any easier for voters to see how the design will look based on what they see on their monitors. Plus, I understand that the point of pantones is that they are supposed to print the same way every time, but when there is a shirt color underneath, that makes a big difference too. The way a color prints on kelly green is radically different from how it would appear on a white sheet of paper, and I simply don't have the background or experience to select colors based on those types of variations. Add to that the fact that woot has stated before that photoshop's pantones are not particularly accurate, and you can see why I have not been particularly inclined to choose pantone colors myself in my entries. I'll say it one more time, and I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears, but I choose colors that appear on my screen as close as possible to what I would like to see in print form. If woot can choose colors to fit that image better than I can, then it is better for the consumer and comes closer to the results that I want to achieve. That's all.

    Here's my attempt at an agree to disagree on my end, but I can see that you are fired up about this and I'm sure you want to get a last word in, so have at it.

    lilygrapetree


    quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilygrapetree
    coffeybean wrote:Hipsters in the wild!

    Unfortunately this one is pretty late, but the idea really made me laugh so I still had to try.

    Here are some close ups.





    Wonderful all round design. Top notch!

    missmelis


    quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
    Re: Ironic Bunny



    I keep checking to make sure this is still in the fog... it HAS to print!

    The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

    chumpmagic


    quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
    ramyb wrote:I thought you were going to agree to disagree.




    Same story as last time... You don't use pantone solid coated swatches. I kindly ask you use a pantone solid coated swatches. Do it or don't do it. Your call. Just don't give me all these excuse. The only excuse that could have persuaded me was that you didn't know how to convert your colors to pantone, and even then I would have trouble believing you since you have been doing this for so long.

    *Edit: For the record, I won't bring this up again if you chose not to do it in future entries. I just wanted to let you how I felt about the whole deal.