TonyGreyfox

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TonyGreyfox
mrwednesday wrote:t

Can you make anything original? This idefinitely a world you didn't create and one that has been well traveled already at woot and elsewhere. The simple idea of profitting off of free software is reprehensible not to mention already against the rules.

You really need a hug, don't you?

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: Global Thermonuclear War

This has lots of cool details. The full image can be viewed large
Here

And here's some detail shots

songoffreedom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages songoffreedom
Re: Alien Sky

this is great!!

Bandrik

quality posts: 73 Private Messages Bandrik
Re: Wrong Turn

Reminds me of the classic game, Dig Dug. Hah!

brockart

Re: Global Warming

This is funny stuff.

Bandrik

mrwednesday wrote:This should be rejected swiftly by Monday because it is clearly against the rules just as much as the rejections that have already been handed down.

Beyond that at least try to show some artistic integrity. Bill Watterson was fiercely opposed to the commercialization of his characters which is why he never licensed the IP. It's insulting that so many so called artists spit on his wishes especially since there is absolutely no parody whatsoever in this design. Bad form.

I can tell you're a Calvin & Hobbes and Bill Watterson fan, but seriously... come off it, now. There have been several Calvin and Hobbes shirts produced across the intertubez. I respect Watterson as an artist, but I see absolutely no reason to shun fan art, parodies, etc of his work.

Plus, I don't see how this is a betrayal of the derby rules. This guy is not a celebrity likeness. It's not an all-text shirt. It's not a map of a copyrighted and pre-existing fictional world. The shirt's fine.

I like the shirt. I hope it prints.

brockart

Re: Can you see me now?

Does the Dinosaur have a shark fin? Oh evolution.....

Bandrik

While I'm tired of Ramy's endless supply of bunny, penguin, and kitten designs... I like this shirt. I'd be happy to have another Firefox shirt.

Plus, the fox looks cute-sy without being overwhelmingly cute. +1

Bandrik

Rawr, it's a dinosaur! Love it! +1

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
Re: The Realm of Every Game

All it needs are the cheat codes on the back.

+1

lilygrapetree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilygrapetree

I vote for war, yah!

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
Re: IM THE MAP

This will no doubt be rejected. It's a dungeon map from The Legend of Zelda, a part of a fictional world you did not create.

lilygrapetree

Oh wonderful, wonderful you!
:o)

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan
walmazan wrote:Thanks guys for all your support! and thanks Kevin for the collab! We have tones of fun!

"tones of fun"...perfect motto for collaborative artists!

+1

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 115 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: Fragile Map

"Fragile Map"

Butterflies are a map of the fragileness of our planet.

A resub of an older entry with a ton of revision done to it.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
j5 wrote:... The original showed her in MO, which was the point of the joke.

Which is why I'm equally perplexed about the rejection. And yes, a Yellow Brick Rd exists in Missouri too.

icymallard

quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Not in Kansas anymore

I don't hate the concept, although I do think it would have been just as funny, and had more depth if it showed an X on missouri instead of the "you arent here" X on kansas.

As for rejection, I definitely think both sides can argue down to the wire and still be unsure, considering the wording and the strictness of the one rule debated here.

I would say you could argue that the map is NOT of Oz. However, it would be hard to argue that they are not IN Oz, considering the characters used and what the map is a reference to.

I guess it depends on how strict the rejectionator is. BUT, the rejectionator DID reject the first design even though you COULD argue parody.

So in order to be consistent, this should get rejected. According to the first rejection, the rejection was due to the fact that she was IN the fictional world, not because the map was OF the fictional world, which seems different than the wording of the actual rule.

In order to bypass the rejection, you would have to argue that she is NOT in Oz. The argument that the map is not OF Oz seems irrelevant to the original rejection premise.

I guess in my opinion, the original rejection was worded wrongly, and implies that setting matters and maps that are in a setting are assumed to be of the same setting.

Bah, whether or not this passes, let's make sure the axe is consistent.

I think you should've kept the map the same as the original because I think it feels too obvious here.

zombiekim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zombiekim
Re: Geek Brain Mind Map

Neat! Also wishing it said "dating" or "relationships," though. :P

ncheremnykh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ncheremnykh
Bandrik wrote:Rawr, it's a dinosaur! Love it! +1

Thanks everyone for the comments and votes!
@ brockart: It’s not a shark fin, it is an end of his tail. You can blame Alaska for the effect : )

mymovinman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mymovinman
DivineAna wrote:Really? Because I instantly identified it as Spaceman Spiff.

Like I said Looks nothing like Calvin or Watterson's work!

coffeybean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeybean
Re: Hard, but not impossible

very clever and simple. well done.

lilygrapetree

Very pretty and sweet, and not a jot of cuteness to boot. Wonderful.

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

I love how it shows the interconnectedness of the world in such a beautiful, wearable shirt!

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Hahaha this is awesome! The perfect gamer's shirt if there ever was one. Terrific job, I hope this moves up quickly. +1!

spookyhandle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spookyhandle
Re: Not in Kansas anymore

I miss the Yellow Brick Road, and think it's absolute BS that they rejected the previous version. The map wasn't of a fictional world, it was, as you've pointed out, of the real world. And the yellow bricks, while indicative of the Yellow Brick road were certainly not a map. Still dig the design, though. Just wish the folks running this derby would stick to the letter of their own rules.

Pobonobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pobonobo

Awesome design from a badass 80's movie

I like it!!! GMV

Pobonobo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pobonobo
Re: Schrodinger's Map

Brilliant!! Unfortunately I suspect the large majority of the population would not understand it, and I can see myself getting tired of explaining to people how a cat shirt is really about quantum physics. GMV anyway

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57531]The Realm of Every Game

I don't often use the word "genius". . . . but I am genius for voting for this design.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

brockart

Re: Top O'Graphic

This becomes a cool abstract print when it's by itself.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
mymovinman wrote:Like I said Looks nothing like Calvin or Watterson's work!

Here is why it looks different:

Spaceman Spiffs world was of sharply drawn landscapes and a thin Calvin. This blonde doesn't look much like Calvin and the landscape is fuzzy, like a charcoal drawing.

What told me this was Spiff was the round spaceship (that also looks like the Jetson's version) and the unseen tentacled beast.

amaliac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amaliac
Re: Hard, but not impossible

Would have preferred a lighter colour for the actual line, but a cute concept never the less! :D

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple
Re: Star Map

I have to say, that water is pretty boss. The reflection of the light especially.

pure5152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pure5152

Oh my god I absolutely ADORE this!

elefader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elefader
Bandrik wrote:While I'm tired of Ramy's endless supply of bunny, penguin, and kitten designs... I like this shirt. I'd be happy to have another Firefox shirt.

Plus, the fox looks cute-sy without being overwhelmingly cute. +1

I haven't used Firefox regularly since v3.22 and that was only a few months ago. What is it up now to, v7? It's almost like it's trying hard to get better but ends up feeling like the same thing over and over...

kattpdx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kattpdx
Re: Signs of the Times

This one isn't getting enough love. Fantastic design.

firefrogh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages firefrogh

Hmmm.... Lost in the woods with so many directions to go.... Which way.

I hope you like the idea. Please give it a vote.

Re: Map of the Lost

Kasona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kasona

arr, here be dragons!

Kasona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kasona

arr, here be dragons!

anisaze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anisaze

Love this, but I have to ask if there is any political motivation behind it - North America/The US being the head and all, with all those gnarly teeth.

ir0cko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ir0cko

i like it!