jomo062591

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomo062591
Re: GPS Fail

Ramyb,

As a fellow designer I hate seeing people deliberately taking somebody else's ideas to use in their own work. It's especially shameful when people can call you out on it. It seems that any more, if you can think of something, it's been done in some way, to some effect, even if it's to the slightest resemblance possible. It seems almost impossible to create something without somebody else saying, ""Hey look, that's the so-and-so from blah blah blah."

It's a cruel world and some people are always going to be haters. However, that being said, I must say that your work always turns out far better executed. Touche. Keep up the great work, but I would especially like to see future entries from you without glaring comments about how you copied a design that was already submitted to an earlier derby.

Also, I must add, I think this specific t-shirt design would look better without the white text at the bottom, or without the "recalculating.." text. I don't think it needs both. Whenever someone stops where they're at they should either be, "recalculating" or at their destination. I suggest taking off the big white text at the bottom and making the "recalculating..." white so it stands out better. That's my opinion though. I'm sure you tired of hearing people's heated opinions.

Best of luck,
+1 Fan

larlar1230

quality posts: 0 Private Messages larlar1230

I may not remember all about Waldo, but what is with the cane? He doesn't look old enough for a cane in the graphic.

ravicai

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ravicai

If the 'I'm the map' shirt gets rejected, pls post elsewhere so I can buy it. I literally LOL'ed :D

SteveBook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveBook
ressamac wrote:Very cute! GMV.

Thanks very much!

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tjost wrote:Im not sure about some of the rejections this time. I understand ramys fire fox design being too close to the shirt by diana that's already been printed, but I don't understand the oz ones being that the map in question is a map of the US.

There is a major difference between my link shirt though and spirits. He has an actual map that is either of the mushroom kingdom (a world he didn't create) or hyrule (again a map on original world). The rules didn't say no pop culture or video games, they said no maps of worlds you didn't create. The map im showing is not just a map, its a character and a play off doras map buddy. The map in dora if your familiar with it never actually unravels himself to show the way but hops around in front of another larger map, letting the viewer impose any local to him or even be blank for all we know. I added a bit of a curvy dotted line with a giant x on it to further show that this is not a Zelda map and is totally out of place in that world especially since its talking to, hence the reaction from the other character. That's my personal ideas on it and so far it looks like soot has similar thoughts. Im not going to claim to understand the rejectionator though as I've had non sensical rejections myself in the past like my first van from the v derby. Hope this helps.

It is clearly the map from Dora. The fact that in the cartoon it never unravels itself is irrelevant. Dora's map is obviously a map of Dora's world which she turns to when she needs directions.

speaksoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speaksoft
marzipanapple wrote:It's a well made design (and I like the idea), but somehow the comp doesn't do it justice.

Is this your first entry? If you stick with us, you'll get the hang of it. When I first got here, I checked out what the more successful people were doing with their comps and tried to add my own style to it. You did good by putting the detail shot in the comments. It's a good illustration.

Thanks for the input. This is my first woot submission. I'll make a better presentation next time.

tentimeskarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tentimeskarma
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57491]

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys. cheers!

joslynmsu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joslynmsu
Re: Where Am I

It may be the woman in me, but I can't get over the placement. I like the shirt, but I worry it will look like Waldo is motorboating me if I were to wear it.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Things I know about Great Britain

Oh good gravy, you put in Myfanwy. OK, GMV. Geek.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Johndis5 wrote:It is clearly the map from Dora. The fact that in the cartoon it never unravels itself is irrelevant. Dora's map is obviously a map of Dora's world which she turns to when she needs directions.

Again though as you just pointed out its not exactly the map from dora. Not only does it not look the same, mine is actually unraveld a bit ( which the dora map does not do) to show its not that map nor a zelda map. In the end its up to woot though.

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
palookaboy wrote:I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with Ramy.

Ditto. Woot, your rule did not mean what you think it means. "No pop culture references" is a different rule.

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
berona wrote:you almost sound upset that it hasnt been...

Nah, more like it's not even trying to parody and, as we've seen so far from rejections, it fits under the whole "fictional world you didn't create' thing.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tjost wrote:Again though as you just pointed out its not exactly the map from dora. Not only does it not look the same, mine is actually unraveld a bit ( which the dora map does not do) to show its not that map nor a zelda map. In the end its up to woot though.

The shirt says "I'm the map!" right on it. You obviously had to change it for copyright purposes, but to say that you were not illustrating the Dora map is being flat out disingenuous.

ChaosDoctor07

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ChaosDoctor07
gement wrote:Ditto. Woot, your rule did not mean what you think it means. "No pop culture references" is a different rule.

The whole "no pop culture references" rule would have just saved everyone a lot of trouble this derby.

"Don't believe in the you who believes in me. Don't believe in the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

Dolemite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dolemite

I've posted a very big version of this image so you can read what the scales say:

Click here to embiggen!

My thanks to everyone for voting!

Teewana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Teewana
BootsBoots wrote:I like winning. Stupid Charlie Sheen can't take that word away from me. ;)

Haha, thanks for saying that! I feel better about the whole thing now.

flamestamp13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamestamp13
Re: GPS Fail

As the "artist" (or as I like to say, the guy who randomly poked at Illustrator until something happened) who did this last time, I have no issue with ramyb doing the same joke. Sure, it's kind of obvious, but that didn't stop me, and I don't consider this one to be "stealing" my joke.

And to the people who say the image doesn't need the text, if it wasn't there, it wouldn't be a map joke, it would be a bad driver joke.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: IM THE MAP

Sorry, I haven't read anything so far that justifies this remaining when both of Ramy's "Dorothy" designs (among others) got rejected. If Dorothy in front of a map indicates OZ, then certainly Link in front of...anything indicates Hyrule.
Can someone on the rejection committee please elaborate?

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

timelessblur

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur
Re: Pirates of the QRibbean

the nerd in me loves this one. It has my vote.

Dolemite

I've uploaded a larger image so you can read it better.

Click here to embiggen.

My thanks to everyone for your votes!

Re: The Geography of 80s Rock

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

Looks good, But to get all the information, one has to squint his eyes and come close to the wearer's chest and read. In other words, Awkward!

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

xepherys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xepherys
thumperchick wrote:This rejection is utterly ridiculous. Off topic? Really?

So much of this week's Derby is ridiculous. This whole thread is based on people thinking it should be rejected for logic that would preclude many of the shirts from being active in the Derby. The Oregon Trail one? Totally a map of the United States from inside a game that isn't real. Any of the damned Dora "I'm a Map" ones? Same deal.

This off topic rejection, though, is just rampantly ridiculous. How on Earth is a shirt that prominently features a map "off topic" when the topic is maps? My mind i beyond blown.

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi
Re: Destination

Soooo the intial concept here was to use the lines you'd see on say google maps and project them to some impossible destination.

I probably spun off on three other designs before settling on this one, and even then I was constantly shifting visual elements around so hopefully the initial concept didn't get too lost...

6 colors on cranberry.

unionboggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unionboggle
Re: Come Find Us (Sans Tagline)

Here ya'll! thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

"taste the beast"

Japkin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Japkin

Great concept. I just don't like the scripty font. For anyone to read your shirt, they'll have to be right up on you. Otherwise, from a distance, they'll probably just think it's a US map shirt.

15 Woots, 7 Shirt.Woots, 2 Kid.Woots, 1 Deal.Woots and counting...

brockart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages brockart
Re: Pirates of the QRibbean

This is sweet! +1 from me!

ArdillaCiega

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ArdillaCiega
joslynmsu wrote:It may be the woman in me, but I can't get over the placement. I like the shirt, but I worry it will look like Waldo is motorboating me if I were to wear it.

And he's getting lost in the process? Oh my!!

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day.

freshwaterowl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freshwaterowl
Re: Fragile Map

I would love to wear this shirt. It is so pretty.

jjkehoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjkehoe

That's awesome. Sadly for me, light blue makes me look dead, but my loss would be my best friend's benefit.

swedishchef1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swedishchef1

Two things in the interest of full disclosure, in case either one of them disqualifies me: 1) the light blue in the river is 15% of the dark blue - does that count as the same color? And 2) I have a fabric up for sale at Spoonflower.com that features a very similar repeating version of this design - I never got an answer on if that meant I couldn't submit it as a tee shirt, so I thought I'd throw it out there - reject away if necessary.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat

Love this concept. I'd buy one if I could get past the lines that point to the boobs.

swedishchef1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swedishchef1

Need to get from 1066 to 1984? Take the Green Line and transfer at 1815. And in case you're wondering, some of the dates/orders have meanings, and some are random.

Mancho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Mancho
Re: The Road to My Heart is Paved with Ugly Cats

Love the shirt, Boots, but the location and orientation of the marker seems a little... phallic to me. Can't decide yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

pharmacide

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pharmacide
willeet wrote:Ingenious! My Smartphone recognized it.

Sweet!

Mavyn wrote:That's fantastic. Is this on creame, or silver? (wonky monitor, looks more like cream but I'd like silver)

It's a cream colored shirt.

elankat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages elankat
fuzzycorgi wrote:I can totally see this happening! For whatever reason GPS systems can't manage to navigate anyone to my work address. My GPS thinks we are on the tollroad then wants me to drive thru a solid fence. Another system sends people up the hill away from us to a vacant field. Someone just told me that her GPS sent her down a dead end street. If anyone wants to go North out of the parking lot the GPS sends them South to a gravel quary then has them make a U-Turn. Not only is there an intersection but the street has 3 lanes and 2 turn lanes in each direction.

GPS fail.

It has happened.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015325599_slough16m.html

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: What, no map?
Nekkochan wrote:Love the new caption!

Oh good! Thanks for that tip about the old one not having enough impact!

arwendoll16lotr wrote:Oh no! I lost the picture to link to but I am really liking the one with the little mouse in the maze =)

Thank you!=)

icymallard wrote:I think he should be more concerned about the lack of cheese in the maze.

Unless there is cheese...

I think in actuality cheese is bad for mice.

Dolemite

I didn't think about that! Maybe if I reverse the order... I'll play around with it and if it works I'll resubmit it.

elankat wrote:Love this concept. I'd buy one if I could get past the lines that point to the boobs.

Dolemite

I went with the light blue as a common color found on those old maps. Maybe white text on dark... I've got some thinking to do.

jjkehoe wrote:That's awesome. Sadly for me, light blue makes me look dead, but my loss would be my best friend's benefit.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
j5 wrote:Sorry, I haven't read anything so far that justifies this remaining when both of Ramy's "Dorothy" designs (among others) got rejected. If Dorothy in front of a map indicates OZ, then certainly Link if front of...anything indicates Hyrule.
Can someone on the rejection committee please elaborate?

I completely agree and I'm honestly surprised this is still here. I only left a cursory comment earlier because in light of the other rejections as well as the ones this morning, this is a clear rejection. I don't see any way this could get around the reasoning for the others.

type40geekwithsam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages type40geekwithsam
swedishchef1 wrote:Need to get from 1066 to 1984? Take the Green Line and transfer at 1815. And in case you're wondering, some of the dates/orders have meanings, and some are random.

I like it ;-D
"Its sort of a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

Also-
"LOOK OUT YOU'RE TOO CLOSE TO THE EIGHTIES!"
"What am I gonna do, Put a dent in them?"
"SOMEONE did!"

When to wear this shirt- when you're piloting the TARDIS, the Delorean or any other slightly madcap time machine.

When Not to wear this shirt- when you're with a crazy time traveler who threw your last guidebook into a supernova.