+ Add a Comment

kevlar51


quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: The Road to My Heart is Paved with Ugly Cats



always a fan of traditional media ;)

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:The US is not a fictional place. It exists. I live there. Just in case though, I got rid of every hint of fictional world in the design- now it is just a girl looking at a map of the United States. If you liked the previous version, I hope you will still like it now Thanks everyone for your continued support on this design



I hate to break it to you but your shirt is still set in a fictional world that you didn't create. It doesn't matter that the world happens to be based on the real world. The first rejection was proper and so too should this be rejected because no matter how you slice it she's still in Oz and the Kansas she's not in is still fictional.

grahamcrackercoyote


quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: 2052



Looks like my kind of shirt, but I cant vote for it if I can't see it - POST A LINK TO A BIGGER VERSION PLEASE!!

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Can you see me now?



Very nice. I really like this one.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: The Original Treasure Map



It looks like a sad rainbow. Me likes.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
mrwednesday wrote:I hate to break it to you but your shirt is still set in a fictional world that you didn't create. It doesn't matter that the world happens to be based on the real world. The first rejection was proper and so too should this be rejected because no matter how you slice it she's still in Oz and the Kansas she's not in is still fictional.



"No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create"

I'll agree with you as soon as you convince me that the US is a fictional world.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Geek Brain Mind Map



The computer trail confuses me a bit. Except in the colloquial sense a Mac is a PC. I think it's clear you meant Windows when you say PC but you have it twice and no geek (real geek anyway) would omit Linux. It's slightly disappointing.

Otherwise, I really like the shirt. It looks sharp and the colors are very nice.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Here be dragons



Hey Graff! I saw the D20 and thought it must be you. :^)

Lovely work. GMV.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ramyb wrote:"No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create"

I'll agree with you as soon as you convince me that the US is a fictional world.



I'm going out on a limb here. Let me preface by saying that I'm not on the shirt team and have no information or input on rejections.

By putting Dorothy in the pic, you are, by association, also referring to Oz which is the main subject and location of that book series. Oz is not a world you created. IHMO.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: In case you were wondering...



Great idea! GMV

bbbrob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbbrob
Re: 2052



Alright, the bigger version is here.

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out what works best for posting the bigger version for very detailed ones like this.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm going out on a limb here. Let me preface by saying that I'm not on the shirt team and have no information or input on rejections.

By putting Dorothy in the pic, you are, by association, also referring to Oz which is the main subject and location of that book series. Oz is not a world you created. IHMO.



If, for example, I had done a design of Mario in the middle of New York City, would that be a depiction of a fictional world? The line in my head is the fact that, by creating the map, it shows the context of her being in the actual United States, not in a fictional world, which is the crux of the joke. Woot could have easily made a "no pop culture references" rule, but did not, and so I find it extremely frustrating that they would enforce rules that were never stated.

logicalcupcake


quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: Not in Kansas anymore



When I saw this design, I instantly knew it was yours because of all the green.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
mrwednesday wrote:The computer trail confuses me a bit. Except in the colloquial sense a Mac is a PC. I think it's clear you meant Windows when you say PC but you have it twice and no geek (real geek anyway) would omit Linux. It's slightly disappointing.

Otherwise, I really like the shirt. It looks sharp and the colors are very nice.



I had the Mac/PC waffling like in the commercials. I guess I was kind of thinking old school on that one. When I got my first Apple computer, we were still calling the other guys PCs. It's just kind of what my geeky mind would be thinking about under computers. I'm not a Linux girl so I didn't include it. I'm sure I could have added so much more to the map if I had the space but had to limit my choices for the shirt print area. I'm still glad you like it overall. Perhaps I will need to make a Geek Brain 2.0 shirt to include more geeky goodness! Suggestions welcome!

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: Can you see me now?



Very cool. GMV

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:"No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create"

I'll agree with you as soon as you convince me that the US is a fictional world.



You didn't draw a map of the US. You drew a map of the fictional world based on the US created by Frank Baum. Tornados can't take people to other worlds in reality. Both Oz and "Kansas" and any other state, country, continent you'd like to draw inside of that framework is fictional and not created by you.

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
kinzoku wrote:Silly hamster, you think you're going somewhere on your wheel, but you're not.

(I tried doing a paper map as those in the pre-derby thread suggested, but after looking at both I think this popped much better.)



I agree. This one is better I think. GMV

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
fishbiscuit5 wrote:I had the Mac/PC waffling like in the commercials. I guess I was kind of thinking old school on that one. When I got my first Apple computer, we were still calling the other guys PCs. It's just kind of what my geeky mind would be thinking about under computers. I'm not a Linux girl so I didn't include it. I'm sure I could have added so much more to the map if I had the space but had to limit my choices for the shirt print area. I'm still glad you like it overall. Perhaps I will need to make a Geek Brain 2.0 shirt to include more geeky goodness! Suggestions welcome!



It's probably not worth it to split votes between the designs. I do hope this one succeeds. Most woot "geeks" aren't geeks anyway. They're nerds. It's subtly different. I just personally hate to see Linux left out of the decision. Good luck!

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
ramyb wrote:Woot could have easily made a "no pop culture references" rule, but did not, and so I find it extremely frustrating that they would enforce rules that were never stated.



You've been a repeated beneficiary of stated rules not enforced. It's rather unbecoming to whine in the rare cases things happen to not go your way.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Old Friends Reunited



I think this is an excellent example where cute emoticon characters don't have to be vapid lifeless wastes of a shirt design. You gave them a lot of character and the colors and placement are really nice. Great job!

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
blacksheep59 wrote:Hey! So it's the Four Color Theorem which says that any map can be colored with four colors without any two colors touching. If you noticed, Idaho and Oregon are fighting over a can of red paint because they both have to be red to be four-colored. Alaska and Hawaii are crying together because it doesn't matter what color they are . Please vote!



If you made California green, Oregon yellow, and Idaho red doesn't that negate the need to fight?

(Sorry, I'm such a pacifist.)

specsmachine


quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine

Damn. I'm working on a "pirate ship at night" design right now. I'm gonna finish it anyway, but who wants two pirate ships in one derby? Maybe I'll sub elsewhere.

logicalcupcake


quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: I love USA the Purplest



Love the concept. Would buy if it wasn't... *shudders* YELLOW.

logicalcupcake


quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: Wrong Turn



No, don't! You lose a life if you crash into your own tail!

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Fire Escape Map



Er, most times with stickfiguers they don't bother to put in a foot. you did put in a foot and I wind up seeing it as a broken leg because of that.

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
j5 wrote:This will be rejected, but it sure is awesome.



+1

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Re: Can you see me now?



Wonderful

epicfal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
eatingbrains wrote:This reminds me of that episode of the Office.



Same here. That bit might be my SIL's favorite joke on The Office, so if this prints, I'm all set for a birthday gift this year.

blacksheep59


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blacksheep59
yankeebird wrote:If you made California green, Oregon yellow, and Idaho red doesn't that negate the need to fight?

(Sorry, I'm such a pacifist.)



Well, that's true. However, you wouldn't have two cute states grappling over a can of red paint .

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Ukraine is Strong!



You two better do a candyland shirt soon! This is awesome.

rowanmikaio


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanmikaio
Re: GPS Fail



I'm kind of surprised that no one seems to have commented on the art itself. I'm normally pretty forgiving, and I've defended Ramy's decisions a few times in the past, but I have to say that the car looks pretty awkward with the way it's sticking out of the water. I mean, the rear left tire, based on this perspective, hasn't even hit the water yet. That means that over HALF of the car isn't in the water. That wouldn't happen, because the weight of the car would push the back half down until it hit the water.

And since the guy is not only outside of the car, but has managed to get a decent distance away, the car is sinking ridiculously slowly.

Sorry, but I can't vote for this one. Maybe next time, Ramy!

thatrobert


quality posts: 26 Private Messages thatrobert

gayemeyer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
Re: Star Map



I don't care if it looks like the perspective is off, and i'm thinking most people don't care about that either. It is so beautiful and I am drawn deep into it every time I look at it. sigh...

npromero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
blanked wrote:Er, most times with stickfiguers they don't bother to put in a foot. you did put in a foot and I wind up seeing it as a broken leg because of that.



I had a lot of trouble with that leg, it just didn't look right.
I picked a version and went with it.

Thanks for the foot feedback I'll keep that in mind next time I do a stick figure design.



DJTweekNYC


quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
Re: Hard, but not impossible



This is really clever and incredibly wearable. I love simplicity done well.

quillow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages quillow
Re: Star Map



For those of us who sleep in oversize T-shirts, this shirt (like the recent Night School T and the earlier T featuring a bat & its nightlight) has the potential to be seriously classy nightwear. (And yes, I do also wear Woot shirts in the daytime--just different ones, in a much smaller size.)

npromero


quality posts: 0 Private Messages npromero
Re: The Original Treasure Map



I was just about to do one of these. Sad you beat me to it. Gerrr.... :P



epicfal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
ridethesnaaake wrote:The road seems to begin near one's genitals.

or perhaps springs forth from the navel.



I've heard that the way to one's heart is through their stomach. The navel seems like as good a starting point as any, IMHO.

epicfal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicfal
Re: Map Noir



I love this idea, but I'm not crazy about the background gradient. I feel like it calls attention to the fact that there isn't more background detail, rather than really adding anything.

reganrabbit


quality posts: 1 Private Messages reganrabbit
Re: I love USA the Purplest



Gah, why didn't I come up with "Purple Nurple Nation?!" *smacks head*

Here's the reason I titled it this...



from the book review "each brother asks his mama which one is the best at each task and, as they are being tucked into bed, which one she loves the best." Ok, that's all the soapbox speaking I'm doing here. Just saying... *nods meaningfully*