+ Add a Comment

reganrabbit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages reganrabbit
Re: Map to success

reminds me of a shooting range target... and I'm not sure if that's an un-welcomed analogy or not for the artist. So...

Knarpulous

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Knarpulous

And this is why I use Chrome! GMV.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: The Trouble with Uncharted Galaxies

This should be rejected swiftly by Monday because it is clearly against the rules just as much as the rejections that have already been handed down.

Beyond that at least try to show some artistic integrity. Bill Watterson was fiercely opposed to the commercialization of his characters which is why he never licensed the IP. It's insulting that so many so called artists spit on his wishes especially since there is absolutely no parody whatsoever in this design. Bad form.

TonyGreyfox

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TonyGreyfox
mrwednesday wrote:I know that logic can be tough to follow because of having to think and all that, but that's exactly why the rule does apply. Not Kansas = Oz. Oz is not ramys 's creation. Not Kansas doesn't exist on a real map. This is a map of Oz however indirectly you want to believe it is. So no it is clearly exactly what the rule forbids and why it was rejected the first time and should be rejected again.

Show us exactly what definitively says Oz in this design. Precisely what design element is an indication that this map board is standing within the fictional land of Oz, and not in Missouri, or Nebraska, or heck in Alaska or something. The parody aspect of this is perfectly clean, and if it's rejected I'm sure everyone would appreciate the Woot folks adding 'no pop culture' to the rules, or rewriting the 'no fictional maps' to properly define their intentions. Or, you know, just reject it without any explanation, again, and sit back and enjoy all the people going "Oi, what?"

mrwednesday

t

Re: Global Warming

Can you make anything original? This idefinitely a world you didn't create and one that has been well traveled already at woot and elsewhere. The simple idea of profitting off of free software is reprehensible not to mention already against the rules.

wheatunrye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheatunrye
Re: The Great Escape!

Do you think we were supposed to take a left at the wind pipe?

mrwednesday

TonyGreyfox wrote:Show us exactly what definitively says Oz in this design. Precisely what design element is an indication that this map board is standing within the fictional land of Oz, and not in Missouri, or Nebraska, or heck in Alaska or something. The parody aspect of this is perfectly clean, and if it's rejected I'm sure everyone would appreciate the Woot folks adding 'no pop culture' to the rules, or rewriting the 'no fictional maps' to properly define their intentions. Or, you know, just reject it without any explanation, again, and sit back and enjoy all the people going "Oi, what?"

Easy. I'll give you three things.

1. The title
2. Dorothy
3. Toto

And I'm ignoring the fourth which is the exact same design that was already rejected with a yellow brick road.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
mrwednesday wrote:t

Can you make anything original? This idefinitely a world you didn't create and one that has been well traveled already at woot and elsewhere. The simple idea of profitting off of free software is reprehensible not to mention already against the rules.

I thought real world was allowed? Also I figured you would link unexpected error.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Signs of the Times

This geek-tastic design contains all state route shields, with the number indicating the order of each state's entry into the Union.

mrwednesday

blanked wrote:I thought real world was allowed? Also I figured you would link unexpected error.

Don't feel like dredging up links since the shirt is new enough that people will have seen it. Also reference his wizard of Oz rejection as to why the "real" world is no protection when it isn't actually the real world.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
thumperchick wrote:
Also, I saw a few multiples on the last Derby that had nothing to do with RAMYB, simply people having the same idea. I find it plausible that this is his original thought.

I'm not a frequent Ramybasher--in fact, I've been known to defend him from time to time--but I think in evidence in this design is his comfort with using the obvious joke. Whether or not something similar has been entered in a shirt.woot derby, this joke is close to a decade old and has been done dozens of times, in print cartoons and on TV shows.

This was stale before it went in the Easy-Bake Oven.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
mrwednesday wrote:Don't feel like dredging up links since the shirt is new enough that people will have seen it. Also reference his wizard of Oz rejection as to why the "real" world is no protection when it isn't actually the real world.

I think that argument doesn't carry over considering firefox doesn't have a fictional world, and in fact is a representation of the real globe.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Signs of the Times

Here is a link to a higher detail copy to show the signs better.

bigedna

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigedna
Re: Of Tree I Sing

If we can't get this to print as a shirt, can you sell it to us in map format? Or something? I likes it!

bigedna

Re: 70% Water

I adore this concept.

:D

bigedna

Re: Going Nowhere

As Walmazan goes, so goes my nation.

+1

nadine624

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nadine624

At the risk of receiving mass criticism, I would just like to say that I'm not sure why you get so many haters on your work, but I love your shirts Ramyb! You are quite possibly my favorite artist and I think my paypal account is going to get quite the workout as I build up my collection.
Keep up the great work!

bigedna

Re: Stellar Cartographer

Wow, I REALLY like this design. Good work!

:D

joetones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joetones
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57528]

Nipple Magnets.

FiniteToast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FiniteToast
Re: Star Map

I would so vote this if it didn't have the skull and crossbones. I don't think they add to the sort of ethereal effect of the whole design, and it makes the perspective REALLY confusing!

rathoren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rathoren
Re: Star Map

I would LOVE to see this with the lined stars being glow in the dark!!! :3

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
rowanmikaio wrote:I'm kind of surprised that no one seems to have commented on the art itself. I'm normally pretty forgiving, and I've defended Ramy's decisions a few times in the past, but I have to say that the car looks pretty awkward with the way it's sticking out of the water. I mean, the rear left tire, based on this perspective, hasn't even hit the water yet. That means that over HALF of the car isn't in the water. That wouldn't happen, because the weight of the car would push the back half down until it hit the water.

And since the guy is not only outside of the car, but has managed to get a decent distance away, the car is sinking ridiculously slowly.

Sorry, but I can't vote for this one. Maybe next time, Ramy!

An oddly shaped and weighted thing full of air will sink unevenly. But it would sink faster than this suggests from how far away the guy is, and there isn't a discernible way he got out of the car - if he had opened the door you would see it at that angle (and the water pooring in would keep it open).

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
ChaosDoctor07 wrote:If nothing else, I'm just amused by the "I'm not trying to be/sound like a jerk here" in two consecutive sentences.

That's because we have snakes that visit on Wednesdays around here and I don't want to be lumped in with them simply because I get a little vocal about thinking a design should be rejected.

larrydavidarmstrong

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larrydavidarmstrong
Re: The Realm of Every Game

Click here to see a more detailed version:
http://www.larryarmstrong.com/bigMap/

Hope you like!

speaksoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speaksoft
Re: Why Go Around?

Here's a closer look at the design.

why go around? by spksft, on Flickr

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Not in Kansas anymore

When I share my opinion here on why I feel like this should get the axe by the rejectionator, I want all of you to know that even if I get frustrated at your opinions, I remember that there is a living, thinking person on the other end of the converstaion. I don't mean to sound condescending or rude with my opinion here, and humbly apologize if typed words come across with an inflection that I do not intend. To that end, here goes my thoughts on why this design should be rejected:

Here is the break down in "Phantom Tollbooth" type logic:

If you are not somewhere, then surely you must be someplace else. If you are someplace else, what would you call that someplace else?

To that end;

Where does this shirt design imply that the someplace else

or

Suppose I've never seen this shirt design and I walk up to you and see the shirt. Where do you suppose I will think that the "Dorothy Gale look-a-like and her little dog too" are standing? Not what is that a map of, that's the wrong question. The right question is where are they standing.

Yes, it's easy to fall into the trap of rude snarkiness and say "not Kansas;" however I am asking a genuine question here.

Now, it's true the map is of the good ol' U.S.A. and the rules say "No maps of fictional worlds you didn't create." America is real, and thank God for that because it's where I keep all my stuff.

However, the rules also say in the example "Yes, make up your own continent." Again, where am I suppossed to think that the little girl-- who happens to look like Dorothy--is standing? For the gag to work, I have to infer that she is in OZ. Not something that Ramyb created.

I think what frustrates me about this design not having been rejected is the fact that it seems like it has gotten by because of this part of the rules:
"No, don't give us a map of Narnia or Oz or whatever." Technically, the map displayed is of U.S.A. So no, technically Ramyb didn't make up the map of America. But Dorothy has to be standing in OZ to make the gag work.

In the end, the last rule for this particular derby is a little too muddled. Is it that no implication of previously established fictional worlds are allowed, or is it okay as long as you don't actually have a map of the place?

Which aspect of the final derby rule takes precedent? No fictional worlds, or No Maps of fictional worlds?

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Where Am I

I hope you enjoy the design. Please Vote.

laurafoy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurafoy
bbbrob wrote:Big(ger) Version:

Living across the border from Detroit I particularly enjoy our newly amalgamated name: Canadetroit.

tentimeskarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tentimeskarma
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57491]

I Also reworked The design to 6 spot colors. I'm new here and did'nt unos The color limitations. Cheers

cndallas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cndallas
Re: Where Am I

I like the idea. Not a big fan of the speech bubble though. Maybe if it was changed to where am I at or not there at all?

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Don't see the killer rabbit or the dude with no arms or legs?!? Great idea, missing my favorite elements!

Re: Map to the Holy Grail NI!

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Thank you! I love there are so many bunny options on woot! I rescue rabbits... can't ever get enough of truly clever designs. This one's up there with Ironic Bunny!

Re: Bunny Slopes

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: The lost dino metro map

Long night, saving this for later.

uncleregis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncleregis

No maps OF fictional worlds you didn't create.

It is a map of the US. If the rules stated no maps IN fictional worlds you would have a case.

It doesn't matter where she is. She is looking at a map of a real place.

Re: Not in Kansas anymore

kurahee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kurahee
Re: The Great Escape!

We better figure this out soon... I see some prunes lining up behind us and we aren't going to have a choice! We'll end up going where they do, and who wants that?

kurahee

Re: Pirates Welcome

Especially if you are from Pittsburgh.

ohaisup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohaisup
Re: Here Be Dragons v2

I really hope this one wins, I prefer blue to the cream! :D!!

kurahee

Re: What have we done?

What have we done? I have no idea... put random colored dots on my shirt in random locations maybe?

torath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages torath
Re: Careful Planning

WOW, people! I got the reference before I had even seen the whole shirt! Please UN_REJECT THIS PLEASE, cause I want one!!!!!

hankescu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hankescu
Re: [url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=57528]

I'd want this but the placement is a little weird...