AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
morgankohl wrote:Completely off topic, but what are some thoughts on out-sourcing? I'm asking this while I'm dealing with our computer help desk that recently moved to India and put a couple hundred people in Memphis out of work.

Woot should consider it so they can lower the price on still overpriced refurbs!!

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
AZGman wrote:For the customer or your company?

Customers. We're a computer support company--we take over support for applications, hardware, etc. If the client wants their phone support to route through India, we do that. Otherwise, it's handled by on-site teams or call-support sites here in the states. All the support for our applications is in-house or vendor.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:Customers. We're a computer support company--we take over support for applications, hardware, etc. If the client wants their phone support to route through India, we do that. Otherwise, it's handled by on-site teams or call-support sites here in the states. All the support for our applications is in-house or vendor.

Makes me wonder how it affected company costs.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Wrong...you were inquizzed. You chose not to answer most of it. :p

You have me at a disadvantage. I could not find that particular thread/post.

move along

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
AZGman wrote:Woot should consider it so they can lower the price on still overpriced refurbs!!

I'd prefer my job not be outsourced. :/

I'm just hanging out, really.

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:Makes me wonder how it affected company costs.

My understanding is that off-shoring support didn't save money. That's based on what the CEO of my company said, and what my SO saw at his company. The support costs didn't reduce significantly, and the time spent on issues didn't decrease. So, no net benefit.

AZGman

inkycatz wrote:I'd prefer my job not be outsourced. :/

Well if Mavyn is right, no worries.

edit: and if right, why does anyone off-shore tech support?

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:Well if Mavyn is right, no worries.

The perception was the costs would be lower because the hourly wages were lower, health costs were lower, etc. But the extra infrastructure needed eats up that cost, the training needs are tremendous, and...surprise, surprise, the support often times isn't competitive. If it takes 5 hours for them to resolve what someone on-site can handle in 5 minutes, the cost savings on hourly wage vanishes.

But it took a few years of experimenting and trying to make it work for that to really show. There are exceptions, and some kinds of support that CAN be off-shored at a savings. Some kinds, not so much.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
j5 wrote:You have me at a disadvantage. I could not find that particular thread/post.

Hmmm, still no answers.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
AZGman wrote:Well if Mavyn is right, no worries.

because at one time it was cheaper to outsource jobs.

In fact, it is still cheaper for some things. i.e. cars, shoes

When outsourcing first started, people in India would work for almost anything and a lot of them were just smart enough to do the job. Now people from India are moving here to take higher paying jobs and the people that are still in India can demand higher pay because they know their value.

Obviously it's not the only reason outsourcing has slowed down, but it is a reason.

AZGman

cruzer wrote:because at one time it was cheaper to outsource jobs.

In fact, it is still cheaper for some things. i.e. cars, shoes

When outsourcing first started, people in India would work for almost anything and a lot of them were just smart enough to do the job. Now people from India are moving here to take higher paying jobs and the people that are still in India can demand higher pay because they know their value.

Obviously it's not the only reason outsourcing has slowed down, but it is a reason.

Yeah, I know; it was more of a rhetorical question.

Nice to see ya out and about!

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

I can understand outsourcing to some extent, and generally if I am calling some kind of support in non-business hours I expect to get India or the Phillipines. However, I think that even if they did save some $$, the $$ they lose due to pissed off customers can easily offset that.

Every company I've worked at since the 90's has used Infosys in some form or fashion. Be it to work on software from India, or to have their employees at our company.

cruzer

AZGman wrote:Yeah, I know; it was more of a rhetorical question.

Nice to see ya out and about!

You have a weird sense of "being out."

I'm bored is mostly what it comes down to.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:You have a weird sense of "being out."

I'm bored is mostly what it comes down to.

//smacks the brat

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

AZGman

Haven't missed ^^^^^^^ that.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman wrote:Haven't missed ^^^^^^^ that.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:

Thread killer!!! ^^^

cruzer

pooflady wrote:Thread killer!!! ^^^

Yeah she is.

She's a woot pimp too.

pooflady

cruzer wrote:Yeah she is.

She's a woot pimp too.

Goes without saying.

cruzer

pooflady wrote:Goes without saying.

I suppose.

pooflady

cruzer wrote:I suppose.

Missed the Burgandy Olfactory Center Didn't have the siren turned on.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Hey Cruzer! Long time, no see!

Somehow managed to slog through the servers and get a bag! Now comes the hard part -- sneaking it into the house after the wife already is complaining about too much random junk from past bags.

cruzer

Turken wrote:Hey Cruzer! Long time, no see!

Somehow managed to slog through the servers and get a bag! Now comes the hard part -- sneaking it into the house after the wife already is complaining about too much random junk from past bags.

Howdy.

I wasn't paying attention and wasn't really interested anyway. Maybe for Christmas or something.

pooflady

Good luck with that.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I was at work and missed it, Orc was picking up Ver2 and 3 at the preschool so he missed it too, no biggie, although I use some of my Burgandy Olfactory Center stuff, like the snowman I mentioned yesterday.

Turken - you could send it to my house , but this time make sure you put a return address on it so you can get a Thank You card!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

Outsourcing is a mixed bag to me. If we are doing it to offer high skill jobs to areas that didn't previously have them, that's great. If we are doing it for cheap labor and to avoid following the labor laws of more developed nations, that's not ok - in my book.

Since most people I know IRL work in some form of IT capacity (or trained to and were never able to find a job thanks to that little thing back 10 years ago with dot.coms), it is always hard for me to hear of people losing a corporate support gig to phone support in another country. I even have friends that lost custom software development to out-sourcing to countries where their corporation didn't even have a physical presence (it's different to lose a job to the guy at the Italy, Taiwan, Korean facility who works for the same company as you with writing code for the same processes and machines.) I know some of those jobs have started to come back as soon as 6 months after they've dissolved because it just didn't work to not have those guys onsite.

Turken

KtCallista wrote:Turken - you could send it to my house , but this time make sure you put a return address on it so you can get a Thank You card!

It's going to take quite a bit of willpower, but assuming it arrives before Christmas I think I'm going to wrap it up --unopened -- as my entry into the family gift exchange.

And I'm glad to hear the card made it. Although a thank-you for a thank-you would be almost a bit too much, no?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Totally missed the bag, which is much better than getting locked out.

Got the orange monkey. So I guess I'm set.

Saw the gloves I ordered off sellout. Never got them. I used a coupon for posting on sellout.woot. The coupon was 1 cent more than the order, and it canceled itself out.
Service fixed it once I sent an email.

Didn't want to lose the coupon!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Turken

dontwantaname wrote:Totally missed the bag, which is much better than getting locked out.

Got the orange monkey. So I guess I'm set.

did you get the purple one too?

KtCallista

Turken wrote:It's going to take quite a bit of willpower, but assuming it arrives before Christmas I think I'm going to wrap it up --unopened -- as my entry into the family gift exchange.

And I'm glad to hear the card made it. Although a thank-you for a thank-you would be almost a bit too much, no?

Not when your Thank you included a gift Which we do appreciate, and your artwork!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pooflady wrote:In that case:

time zone: EST

approximate age: older than Mavyn younger than d'name

married/single/divorced: M

credit card number: 86753095551212

general profession: IT

move along

AZGman

Another day bites the dusk; hey, hey.

g'night.

pooflady

j5 wrote:

Thank you.

kdccrosby

j5 wrote:
credit card number: 86753095551212

Jenny? Is that you?

morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl

What a yuck day. I just got off of an 11 hour shift and had to trudge through the rain to my second story apartment.

kdccrosby

I just found out my sister is charging my niece $25 a week in rent. She's a senior in high school.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

pooflady

morgankohl wrote:What a yuck day. I just got off of an 11 hour shift and had to trudge through the rain to my second story apartment.

That sounds awful. The only time I was out today was to go to the car to get the bag of cough drops that didn't make it into the house yesterday.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:I just found out my sister is charging my niece $25 a week in rent. She's a senior in high school.

No, you're not. I think it's ridiculous, too. So what would happen if niece refuses to pay it?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:I just found out my sister is charging my niece $25 a week in rent. She's a senior in high school.

Maybe in the summer, when she can work full time.
Your sister is actually legally required to take care of her for free until 18, and no judge in the country wouldn't extend that until high school graduation.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Turken wrote:did you get the purple one too?

It was a repeat, but yeah, I got 3 more.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!