morgankohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
kdccrosby wrote:I just found out my sister is charging my niece $25 a week in rent. She's a senior in high school.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

I think that's awful. Isn't this the time in her life where you should be encouraging her to save her money for college, etc?

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:No, you're not. I think it's ridiculous, too. So what would happen if niece refuses to pay it?

I guess she will kick her out. She threatens to on a daily basis I guess. Complains that niece needs a ride too or from work, but complained endlessly until niece got a job. I am fine with rent after high school, although I don't think it should apply if she is going to college

dontwantaname wrote:Maybe in the summer, when she can work full time.
Your sister is actually legally required to take care of her for free until 18, and no judge in the country wouldn't extend that until high school graduation.

The rule of thumb I thought was end of high school too.

Sister claims mom & dad charged her rent. Yeah - AFTER high school when she wasn't going to college or doing anything. she didn't pay it anyway.

I'm so incredibly disgusted with her for MANY reasons that I just don't know what to do. She claims she yells at niece and is fed up with niece for her attitude and they way she wakes her brother up for school. Umm.. niece talks to nephew like mom does to her and nephew. And, oh yeah, WAKE HIM UP YOURSELF or get him a dang alarm clock!

I'm SICK of her selfish ass. It would take an entire thread elfing about all of the stuff she has done over the last two years.

kdccrosby

morgankohl wrote:I think that's awful. Isn't this the time in her life where you should be encouraging her to save her money for college, etc?

yes. sister has been on a selfish, downward spiral for two years. I don't even recognize her anymore. Her character and desire to raise her children is nil. She claims she is turning it all around. Guess that means yelling and being a jerk, instead of just not being present.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kdccrosby wrote:The rule of thumb I thought was end of high school too.

Sister claims mom & dad charged her rent. Yeah - AFTER high school when she wasn't going to college or doing anything. she didn't pay it anyway.

I'm so incredibly disgusted with her for MANY reasons that I just don't know what to do. She claims she yells at niece and is fed up with niece for her attitude and they way she wakes her brother up for school. Umm.. niece talks to nephew like mom does to her and nephew. And, oh yeah, WAKE HIM UP YOURSELF or get him a dang alarm clock!

I'm SICK of her selfish ass. It would take an entire thread elfing about all of the stuff she has done over the last two years.

But you have no options unless you want to take niece in, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:But you have no options unless you want to take niece in, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work.

Agreed. I have to be careful because our relationship is tenuous at best and if I make her too angry, she will cut me out of their lives.

I keep telling niece to hang on until graduation. but it's getting bad. niece has some blame in there too. But I'm sure it's hard to go from having no parent to one who suddenly elfes all the time.

sorry for the rant. had to let it out.

morgankohl

kdccrosby wrote:yes. sister has been on a selfish, downward spiral for two years. I don't even recognize her anymore. Her character and desire to raise her children is nil. She claims she is turning it all around. Guess that means yelling and being a jerk, instead of just not being present.

My older sister is a selfish, jackass too. She's already pointing out things that she wants when my Mum passes away. My Mum is only 51! I'd beat the tar out of her if my mother didn't forbid it. (It also doesn't help that she's twice my size!)

kdccrosby

morgankohl wrote:My older sister is a selfish, jackass too. She's already pointing out things that she wants when my Mum passes away. My Mum is only 51! I'd beat the tar out of her if my mother didn't forbid it. (It also doesn't help that she's twice my size!)

My mom is disgusted with her (my step-mom actually) but she lives in Costa Rica, so she doesn't see the half of it.

She got a dose of the 'improved' sister over Thanksgiving and wasn't happy.

morgankohl

kdccrosby wrote:Agreed. I have to be careful because our relationship is tenuous at best and if I make her too angry, she will cut me out of their lives.

I keep telling niece to hang on until graduation. but it's getting bad. niece has some blame in there too. But I'm sure it's hard to go from having no parent to one who suddenly elfes all the time.

sorry for the rant. had to let it out.

A series of relatively harmless pranks on your sister might help lower your ire a bit.

kdccrosby

morgankohl wrote:A series of relatively harmless pranks on your sister might help lower your ire a bit.

not a bad idea.

morgankohl

kdccrosby wrote:My mom is disgusted with her (my step-mom actually) but she lives in Costa Rica, so she doesn't see the half of it.

She got a dose of the 'improved' sister over Thanksgiving and wasn't happy.

And if this is improved, I'd hate to see how she was *before*!

kdccrosby

morgankohl wrote:And if this is improved, I'd hate to see how she was *before*!

exactly!!!

Thanks for listening, or reading my rant. I feel a little better just spitting it out, so I don't spit it out on them.

morgankohl

kdccrosby wrote:exactly!!!

Thanks for listening, or reading my rant. I feel a little better just spitting it out, so I don't spit it out on them.

Accidentally spilling a beverage into someone's purse can do wonders for your anger management issues. :P

pooflady

morgankohl wrote:Accidentally spilling a beverage into someone's purse can do wonders for your anger management issues. :P

I like you.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kdccrosby wrote:yes. sister has been on a selfish, downward spiral for two years. I don't even recognize her anymore. Her character and desire to raise her children is nil. She claims she is turning it all around. Guess that means yelling and being a jerk, instead of just not being present.

One of daughters college friends was disowned because he was merry.
Really nice kid too.

Some people are just nuts.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:I like you.

me too. keep those ideas coming!

morgankohl

kdccrosby wrote:me too. keep those ideas coming!

lol! Another fun one is to register her cellphone number with a bunch of spammy websites. That one can entertain for weeks.

kdccrosby

morgankohl wrote:lol! Another fun one is to register her cellphone number with a bunch of spammy websites. That one can entertain for weeks.

that would be good, if she answered her phone. lol

morgankohl

To buy or not to buy the High Cholesterol woot shirt of the day...

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
kdccrosby wrote:I just found out my sister is charging my niece $25 a week in rent. She's a senior in high school.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?

I got charged "room and board" after I turned 16 (I always had a job since I was 13). It was usually 10% of my pay.
My mother gave me all the money back with interest when I got married. It was enough to furnish my home.
She did the same with my sisters.
My ex wife thought it was a great idea and did the same for our daughter.

edit//--sorry I answered before I read the rest of the story. My mother did it strictly to teach us nothing was free and as a form of forced savings. I have to add that none of us kids knew what was happening to the money as we were sworn to silence when we got our money back.

In the end only kindness matters

kdccrosby

Iceback wrote:I got charged "room and board" after I turned 16 (I always had a job since I was 13). It was usually 10% of my pay.
My mother gave me all the money back with interest when I got married. It was enough to furnish my home.
She did the same with my sisters.
My ex wife thought it was a great idea and did the same for our daughter.

edit//--sorry I answered before I read the rest of the story. My mother did it strictly to teach us nothing was free and as a form of forced savings. I have to add that none of us kids knew what was happening to the money as we were sworn to silence when we got our money back.

And that isn't a bad idea. But my sister is using the money to supplement her crappy income because she has always been too damn lazy to get a decent job. hmmph.

she could go after nephew's dad for child support - he hasn't paid anything in two years. Can't be bothered to call the state or follow up with them. you'd think as broke as she is, she would do whatever she had to do to get some money out of the deadbeat.

kdccrosby

going to bed. night all!

Iceback

kdccrosby wrote:going to bed. night all!

It's frustrating, I'm sorry.
'night Kid.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:going to bed. night all!

Tomorrow will be better. Maybe.

pooflady

I know it's stupid, but I had to buy a calendar.

Iceback

pooflady wrote:Tomorrow will be better. Maybe.
I know it's stupid, but I had to buy a calendar.

They have calendars that will tell you when you'll have a better day??????
I need that!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:I know it's stupid, but I had to buy a calendar.

Me too. What the heck are we going to do with them?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

morgankohl

Did anyone else's Woot just go splat and quit working?

pooflady

Iceback wrote:They have calendars that will tell you when you'll have a better day??????
I need that!

Order now!

pooflady

morgankohl wrote:Did anyone else's Woot just go splat and quit working?

Yep. I might have posted something twice.

morgankohl

pooflady wrote:Order now!

I get free calendars every year at work...but I just couldn't resist...

pooflady

morgankohl wrote:I get free calendars every year at work...but I just couldn't resist...

I hate to admit this, but I just ordered a desk calendar and wall calendar this afternoon.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

morgankohl wrote:Did anyone else's Woot just go splat and quit working?

No, mine went plop.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:No, mine went plop.

Has son had any luck getting a job?

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Has son had any luck getting a job?

No. Sigh. Might try a temp agency later in the week to at least get a couple weeks of work in.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:No. Sigh. Might try a temp agency later in the week to at least get a couple weeks of work in.

Maybe you can give me an answer. My sister is trying to send me gift ideas via Penney's and Kohl's, but they're not coming through.

Anybody can jump in if they have an answer. I've checked the spam folder, nothing there.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pooflady wrote:Maybe you can give me an answer. My sister is trying to send me gift ideas via Penney's and Kohl's, but they're not coming through.

Anybody can jump in if they have an answer. I've checked the spam folder, nothing there.

did she use the site's functions to email you or did she email you links from her personal mail?

move along

pooflady

j5 wrote:she used the site's functions to email you or emailed you links from her personal mail?

The site.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Maybe you can give me an answer. My sister is trying to send me gift ideas via Penney's and Kohl's, but they're not coming through.

Could be that your Internet provider is blocking it at their end. Do you have a way to log onto you email via a browser? Like if you're away from home? I find some email in my junk folder in the web account that never get downloaded into Outlook.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

ThunderThighs wrote:Could be that your Internet provider is blocking it at their end. Do you have a way to log onto you email via a browser? Like if you're away from home? I find some email in my junk folder in the web account that never get downloaded into Outlook.

It's just Yahoo, so not a problem logging in from elsewhere. That's what I was doing at her house last week.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
pooflady wrote:The site.

I just sent myself an email alert from Kohl's to one of my gmail accounts. Didn't get it, and it's not in spam.

move along