cooldudeguy911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cooldudeguy911
teenracer6 wrote:The shirt references Portal 2. The two objects, the mixer and the bowl, are the two turrets you play as in the Portal 2 multiplayer.

The cake is in the form of a Companion cube, your best friend in the first game till you have to burn it to death to open a door.

The cake is originally a lie, a reward you are supposed to get for finishing the puzzles in Portal 1. Chell (the main character) must have got fed up with the lies and made her own cake in the shirt.

Hope this helps you understand.

I really hate to be that guy, but I'm fairly certain that the mixing bowl and mixer are, respectively, Wheatly and a generic turret.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07

I just want to point out to all the people who say that if you don't upload your submission on Friday, you aren't going to print:
This entry was submitted at November 6, 2011 (Sunday) at 1:13 AM. Almost the 5th, sure, but well past Friday!

Still trying to decide if I want to get this one or not. I might pick it up for my boyfriend if he doesn't end up buying it himself. He's a big Portal fan.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
missmissa07 wrote:I just want to point out to all the people who say that if you don't upload your submission on Friday, you aren't going to print:
This entry was submitted at November 6, 2011 (Sunday) at 1:13 AM. Almost the 5th, sure, but well past Friday!

Absolute rule it's not, but earlier submissions do benefit simply in that there are more hours for folks to vote.

To go one step further, tjost's 1st print way back from Derby #111 was a Monday afternoon submission which got 1st place. It has since become Woot's #1 seller too.

Today is 11/11/11, and I too predict that this will be #1 in the Reckoning next week.

Are we over one-d out now?

Still trying to decide if I want to get this one or not. I might pick it up for my boyfriend if he doesn't end up buying it himself. He's a big Portal fan.

Flip a coin. If it's heads, buy it. If it's tails, buy it.

missmissa07

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missmissa07
Narfcake wrote:Flip a coin. If it's heads, buy it. If it's tails, buy it.

Pretty solid advice there . Now I just need to go find myself a coin!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan

Congrats tjost!

kacentabranch0524

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kacentabranch0524

how log will the this was a triumph shirts be on here my husband loves portal 1&2 i need to get him one for christmas.

Narfcake

kacentabranch0524 wrote:how log will the this was a triumph shirts be on here my husband loves portal 1&2 i need to get him one for christmas.

The shirt will be available as long there is continued demand. Read the FAQ for more info.

Do note that the $10 price is only good on a shirt's debut day (or until it sells out, whichever comes first); it will revert to the regular $15 tomorrow.

freshwaterowl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freshwaterowl

I disagree that Cake songs just don’t age so well. Have you ever heard MacArthur Park By: Jimmy Webb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3JdzUUuH4

laizurkainon

quality posts: 6 Private Messages laizurkainon

Really, Portal is something of an instant classic. (The first one) is easily as timeless as many older, more recognizable franchises (read: Nintendo properties) So I'm not confident it's that much of a pop culture thing at this point. It'd be one thing if the first game had come out in the past two years or so...

Well, it's not pop culture, but it's not not pop culture.

grantwall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grantwall

I promised two sales if this won, and you've got them!

cmoborough

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmoborough

Any excuse for the Woot staff to make a portal song parody

thepizzadevourer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepizzadevourer

Kudos to whoever got the Portal reference in the artist bio. Random trivia knowledge FTW!

pinkygeekydo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkygeekydo
melfox86 wrote:I can stop saying "the cake is a lie" but I will not stop playing that song. That is a great song.

Of course it's a great song, it's JoCo!

highlander42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highlander42

My birthday is tomorrow, so even though this wont arrive in time, this is totally my birthday present to myself!! (I am teaching my students the "Still Alive" song. Muah-ha-ha!!)

FezMonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FezMonkey
jfallen wrote:can't determine if troll, or just not geeky enough to know what portal is.

Not a troll at all. Keep in mind that not everyone is a nerdtacular gamegeek. In fact, more folks aren't than are.

themeanspleen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themeanspleen

cool shirt. Def not the best, but still good. Why does WOOT waste their time writing all that nonsense? I'm sure it was funny, but all that reading made it not worth it. We're artist, we respond to imagery, not literature. I got 2 stanzas deep, then i fell asleep. That rhymes, add that to your poem.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
highlander42 wrote:My birthday is tomorrow, so even though this wont arrive in time, this is totally my birthday present to myself!! (I am teaching my students the "Still Alive" song. Muah-ha-ha!!)

Have a great birthday!

I'm just hanging out, really.

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
themeanspleen wrote:cool shirt. Def not the best, but still good. Why does WOOT waste their time writing all that nonsense? I'm sure it was funny, but all that reading made it not worth it. We're artist, we respond to imagery, not literature. I got 2 stanzas deep, then i fell asleep. That rhymes, add that to your poem.

Erm.. not all folks who come here are artists...

Narfcake

pinkygeekydo wrote:Of course it's a great song, it's JoCo!

Jonathan Coulton in LA -06-Baby Got Back

Back on topic ...

rabidmuskrat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rabidmuskrat

I wish I could buy that mixer and bowl.

Need help finding a funny facebook status?

irishskywalker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages irishskywalker

I'm in for one of these amazing shirts!

bubbawhack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubbawhack

THE COMPANION CUBE IS A SPY!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

I'm a dork, I confess. Auto-buy for all things Portal on shirt.woot.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

freshwaterowl wrote:I disagree that Cake songs just don’t age so well. Have you ever heard MacArthur Park By: Jimmy Webb?

try reading the writeup along with that song
it's like dark side of the moon and wizard of oz
it'll blow your mind, man

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tgentry wrote:October had only 5 pop-culture shirts out of 31, and I think only 2 of those were from the derby. We loosened the rules a bit to let more in, and then tightened them back up this week when we saw things tipping too heavily in the other direction. Personally, I'm all about having a nice balance in our shirt selection, which includes pop-culture. I don't think a single week or two is really indicative of anything in terms of the "big picture" of what Woot offers or where it's headed.

October is so last month. November already has 7 and it's only the 11th with 2 more coming over the next two nights.

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee

Sweet robotic female singing?

Creeeepy...

AngelKatie413

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AngelKatie413

THANK YOU WOOT GODS

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Johndis5 wrote:October is so last month. November already has 7 and it's only the 11th with 2 more coming over the next two nights.

What would you like us to do?

ctdietz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ctdietz

Great. Another evening lost to playing through the portals again. I wish I had a friend so I could play coop.

Narfcake

tgentry wrote:What would you like us to do?

Ignore the trolls! ^_^

(Poit taken on your earlier post, BTW.)

papayaportals

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papayaportals

Yay! Another Portal shirt to add to my collection! Now all I need is a turret to complete it!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/e71c/

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
tgentry wrote:What would you like us to do?

Less pop culture? Maybe a no pop culture rule on derbies that are extremely wide open?

Every shirt site has more than enough pop culture designs to satisfy the crowd. Some go so far as to rely on it, and copyright infringement to stay afloat and be successful.

Woot is a pretty big company that is owned by a phenomenally huge company. You guys don't need pop culture to keep your t-shirt business thriving. You could still be a successful clothing line without any pop culture references at all. Why not leave the hackery to these sites that need it to stay afloat and actually do something unique? If you want to do a little pop culture here and there, do it, but do it in moderation. Most pop culture shirts are terrible and thoughtless. Why not cherry pick a dozen or so truely great ones a year to release during a woot-off? The variety on the reckoning would likely benefit, as would the quality of unique stuff. If an artist knew they had to be original to play here, you would get much nicer work from more people in the long run.

I'd like you to do a few other things, but this would be enough.

SpaceDog1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpaceDog1975
freshwaterowl wrote:I disagree that Cake songs just don’t age so well. Have you ever heard MacArthur Park By: Jimmy Webb?

The original is not always the best. By far, the Donna Summer disco version was the TRIUMPH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ReLe90fL-Q

SpaceDog1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpaceDog1975
Johndis5 wrote:Less pop culture? Maybe a no pop culture rule on derbies that are extremely wide open?

Every shirt site has more than enough pop culture designs to satisfy the crowd. Some go so far as to rely on it, and copyright infringement to stay afloat and be successful.

Woot is a pretty big company that is owned by a phenomenally huge company. You guys don't need pop culture to keep your t-shirt business thriving. You could still be a successful clothing line without any pop culture references at all. Why not leave the hackery to these sites that need it to stay afloat and actually do something unique? If you want to do a little pop culture here and there, do it, but do it in moderation. Most pop culture shirts are terrible and thoughtless. Why not cherry pick a dozen or so truely great ones a year to release during a woot-off? The variety on the reckoning would likely benefit, as would the quality of unique stuff. If an artist knew they had to be original to play here, you would get much nicer work from more people in the long run.

I'd like you to do a few other things, but this would be enough.

We exist in a world of pop culture. I think prohibiting it would be disingenous.

ohgodno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohgodno

no offense to the shirt or anything, but this writeup is annoying enough to make me never want to visit woot again. just sayin

jukap829

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jukap829
dmcgee3 wrote:Everytime I see cake it reminds me of that time I thought UV cake flavored vodka was the best thing I ever tasted. This lasted for one night. Now I can't look at cake without feeling a little sick

agreed...

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
sorceresskimberly wrote:In for two! If I could afford it, I'd be in for more as our whole family LOVES Portal, but for now I bought these for my sons rather than for the husband and me.

Given that it's by the artist of Woot's best-selling shirt "The Binge" and has the same subject matter as (relatively) recent smash hit "The Cheese is a Liederkranz", it seems likely that this design will hang around in the Reckoning for a while. I hope you and your hubby have a chance to get your own before too long!

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
Narfcake wrote:To go one step further, tjost's 1st print way back from Derby #111 was a Monday afternoon submission which got 1st place. It has since become Woot's #1 seller too.

Today is 11/11/11, and I too predict that this will be #1 in the Reckoning next week.

Are we over one-d out now?

I, for one, find myself struck with one-derment at the coincidence! I guess for tjost, one is not the loneliest, but the luckiest number...

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

Well I gotta say im a little bummed/upset because I was wondering why the buy button hadn't started hoping yet so I looked at the sales preview sheet and saw that they have now raised the first day sales threshold to 6000 prints. Last week it was 5000 at least thats what it showed on epic failures sales preview page. Really feel like woots starting to penalize popular first day designs :s some advanced notice would have been nice. Just saying.