adra112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adra112

If you put this shirt in a gift shop at the Grand Canyon it would probably sell a dozen or more shirts a day at $30 a shirt.

Amazing design idea and implementation.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
j5 wrote:Then I wish you well in your quest for votes, and may the rejectionator be ever lenient.

oh, hell.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Josephus wrote:oh, hell.

Sorry man. I didn't tattle for whatever that's worth.

move along

mverc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mverc
Re: If It Looks Like a Duck

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a platypus trying to pull the wool over your eyes

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Australian Army Knife

I totally got the reference, even tho I was really young when that movie came out. Excellent way to portray it!

jewelwing

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
Re: Advanced Sheep Shearing

HA! I LOVE this! Your shading is really awesome too. I like how the hair looks sort of see through.

calebmitchell

quality posts: 64 Private Messages calebmitchell

I will cry if this doesn't win I wants.

tdziekan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdziekan
mverc wrote:If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a platypus trying to pull the wool over your eyes

yes!!!!!!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
Re: Pointillizard

Amazing work! I hope it prints.

07/11/14

caramelarrow

Re: Not An Aussie

Adorable. I want this one!

07/11/14

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
lucky1988 wrote:I like how you incorporated the duck in this very wearable design! +1

And a beaver. Very clever.

caramelarrow

Re: Rainbow Lorikeet

Stunning colors. I will buy it!

07/11/14

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Crocodile Undies

Rejection expected. It was good for a chuckle.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
nikk3r wrote:I find it funny because: it suggests that Australians are badass, and furthermore, I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing you would need to survive in the wild out there.

I too am in the same boat, never seen the movie, and this is exactly what I thought of when I saw the shirt. It just seems to say "SWISS army knives just don't cut it in the down under."

But I also understand the pop-culture rule too, and while it can be vague, it is there for a reason.

I really like the placement and color choices, by the way, very appealing. Though the beer bottle opener I would have made just a slight bit larger in proportion to the handle of the knife.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Blue Ringed Death revised

I removed the alleged text. replaced 'X's with sphincter looking spots; err, I mean, STARS. Left the blue rings as they are the natural pattern of the octopi and aren't rejected on other designs.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1

astrobat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages astrobat
kllangellier wrote:So, this has been up for a few days, and no one has commented on it at all... It's not looking like it's going to make it to the FOG, which is unfortunate because I think this is hilariously adorable. But yeah, I wanted you to know that I very much appreciate this design because, IMO, it is full of win.

Thank you so much for commenting! I really, REALLY appreciate your thoughtfulness and kind words. Your comment really made my day. Thanks!

tjparson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjparson
Re: Australian Army Knife

Although this is a pop culture reference it also hold quite a bit of humor in the character of those living in the outback. I enjoy the fact that there are only two things on the knife: the bottle opener (for beer of course) and the knife! And as much as I love this shirt, I feel as though it's lacking something in the background.

seacore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seacore

Awesome awesome awesome!

The light green against the darker green even looks grey at a glance.

Awesome.

paigeg

quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: Emo Emu

At a glance at the thumbnail, I thought, "He looks like Jacoby from Papa Roach." WAY too funny. Love. It.

paigeg

Re: Dreamtime

I wish I could see a bigger view of this. On the surface, it looks like a really nice dot-art take. Not sure there are Aboriginal themes represented, tho. Bigger please?

paigeg

Re: Walkin' About

I was just scrolling through, wondering if someone would do 'walkabout'. I think the actual 'journey' is missing, though. Assuming you subscribe to Walkabout as a rite of passage, and not just a bit o' vacay, there needs to be some indication of that rite.

paigeg

Re: Flip me over, if you see me in this shirt.

The title made me lol, even before I clicked to see the comp. Nice!

paigeg

kinzoku wrote:Thanks everyone!

Sadly, this might be my last derby entry for awhile, depending on how long it takes for me to get a new laptop. Mine barely held on long enough for me to finish this entry, and now it just doesn't seem to want to live anymore. (If anyone wants to PM a recommendation of a new laptop to me, that would be cool. And tablets too, while I'm at it, since the one I own is so old that it's what cavemen used to draw on cave computers with.)

One of the best in the derby, no question. I hope you get your gear sorted out. Really, any current gen laptop with a decent graphics card and RAM will work. Oh, and good screen res. I'm sure there are folks here who could supply specifics. This might help, though I can't speak to what your actual budget might be. As for tablet, I seem to recall Wacom's Bamboo being the pretty universal tablet of choice around here. You'd have to have others weigh in on model - I don't have one!

paigeg

Re: Pointillizard

Great job. I have a hand-painted didge (urk! HAD! Just had to give it up for reasons of space - we're moving.) and the colors here are dead-on. The style is really well-rendered, too. Good on ya, mate. I was hoping for some nice dot art designs, and this balances true-to-style with sellable. GMV.

paigeg

frogfreak wrote:Nice! As an Australian I find most of these images uninteresting/unappealing, but this one sings! I hope I get a chance to buy it!

Maybe your 'same-old' is our 'exotic'. Or maybe many folks are missing the boat. But I agree, this one has a great feel that is appealing on its own, and does a great job of evoking the spirit of aboriginal art.
Well done!

paigeg

novastarj wrote:I like the design a lot, but it looks a little weird/excessive to me the green shirt. I feel like there needs to be more contrast between the turtle and the landscape.

I respectfully disagree. The subtle contrast with the soft orchid color to give it depth works for me. I have a bit of an issue with the hard, straight line along the carapace, and the face that the tail seems to come out somewhat left of center. But those things dont' stop me from giving this a vote - nicely conceived design.

paigeg

Re: On the Back of a Turtle

Maybe I'm actually seeing more than is here, but I really see some depth and a very, very nice take on the real spirit of aboriginal art, a less 'dotty' take notwithstanding. The turtle carries the world in so many cultures. The arms/legs wrapping over and around, that almost seem to make a face, as well; the frog as a symbol on its own plus looks like the nose...
Like I said, I could be imagining it but, I think this goes farther to touch on the heart of aboriginal art than most other similar subs.

paigeg

Re: It Always Returns

I HATE when that happens! Fun, and nicely done.

beersax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beersax
captainassassin wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that "ninjas" (considering how overused their common depiction is) are part of pop-culture, and therefor objectively should not be allowed in this derby.

On the other hand... subjectively, I'm just sick of seeing them.

This coming from someone with "assassin" in their user name.

paigeg

Re: We Are

Excellent. While this sub from a past derby paid tribute to the pigment-blowing style of prehistoric art, yours is dead-on this theme, and evokes the style beautifully. And I love the title/theme - We Are. Nice.

paigeg

lilygrapetree wrote:wally, usually I love your shirts(wonderful, wonderful tut, by the way, thank you!!), but something about this design is not digging it for me. in fact I'd say it borders on ramyb-like-odiousness factor.
(sorry, don't be offended, it's only my opinion, one opinion, and I only say this cos, hand on my heart every other wk I I love your work, :-)

I agree - sorry, Wences. This one doesn't do it for me. I have more of your designs than any other Woot artist. But just not feeling this one.

paigeg

Re: The outback

Nicely done haltone color graduations. This pops really well. I can't argue it's the most original design here, but definitely one of the most eye-grabbing.
Be careful, ramyb - you seem to be slowly breaking your 'predictable' mold and surprising us! Good job!

paigeg

Re: Drop Bears

Funnest sub this derby, and I don't care WHAT color you put it on. I can do lemon. I love green. Works either way. Frickin' funny design.

paigeg

Re: Rainbow Serpent (On Brown)

Nice design, and I do like it on the brown. It kinda misses on the true dot art feel, but the overall design is really cool. I'm torn as to whether the distressing is a good/bad thing. Flipping a coin...

paigeg

Re: K.O.ala-ed

If this wins I have GOT to get one for my MMA/UFC-obsessed personal trainer. Red ain't his best color, but I'll pound him until he submits and wears the thing.

KaylaJ

quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
tjparson wrote:Although this is a pop culture reference it also hold quite a bit of humor in the character of those living in the outback. I enjoy the fact that there are only two things on the knife: the bottle opener (for beer of course) and the knife! And as much as I love this shirt, I feel as though it's lacking something in the background.

I agree. Would have been interesting if they added some background of leaves like one was going through the brush.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Re: Laugh, Kookaburra, Laugh

I really like how well the colors pop, but this is way too similar to the Threadless T that was mentioned above for my liking.

midgerock

quality posts: 6 Private Messages midgerock
Re: Kookaburra In The Old Gum Tree

why does shirt.what say this design has been removed? I find that a bit counter productive if someone was wanting to vote for my or others designs via that site. I know their not affilliated with woot but it has been a source for many artists and voters here at woot. So anybody know what the deal may be?

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee
tdziekan wrote:this is the greatest one

Wow, thank you! (I hope that wasn't sarcasm...)