msgmissy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msgmissy
aramis525 wrote:I see what you did there. +1

Thanks aramis525!

krikee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krikee
coyotestorm wrote:You know, I liked this derby idea. But I see it is going to be ruined again with dumb jokes involving cute animals that are off topic. This is adding, not mathematics. Try again.
I say this as a physicist who has studied mathematics and chaos in depth. Trust me, there are better ideas out there.

Why thank you mr physicist for clearing that, because you reeeaaallly have to study mathematics and chaos in depth in order to understand important principals such as shirtwoot, comedy, quantum mechanics, and the butterfly effect. hahah well to be honest it may actually come in handy for some of those things.

xepherys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xepherys
clcaruthers wrote:when you go into displacement and force, you begin to start treating the rubber band as a spring with a given spring constant K. Then you go thru the whole F=-Kdx, a rubber bands K value can not be treated as a true spring for this application, blah, blah, blah. Its def easier to approach it with a given velocity and angle to determine distance traveled. Way easier to approach the angle at know release points with know velocities

This is the nerdiest discussion I've ever seen on woot. +1

artgirl929

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artgirl929
Re: Multiplying Rabbits

Awesome, must have taken a lot of work, so no wonder it was posted late. GMV for sure.

grimall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grimall
Spiritgreen wrote:
(Actually that's too easy. 100% when you're about to cross the line in Mario Kart Wii :p)

Or any Mario Kart with Blue Shells really.

I'm dreaming when I'm tired, and I'm tired when I'm awake.

ttmarie0023

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttmarie0023
shagypirate wrote:Why are so many stellar designs wasted on the lamest and most boring (non)color? Who wants a closet full of "asphalt grey" shirts.

ME

grimall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grimall
Re: The Divine Prrrrrrrrrportion!

I just absolutely adore your kitties, Walmazan. Please, keep them coming.

I'm dreaming when I'm tired, and I'm tired when I'm awake.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

You know, I like this shirt alot. It's a bunny that actually looks like a rabbit and not just an anime cat with longer ears. It's got a "joke" that you can't just swap in some other cute animal with. It looks well drawn and is interesting to look at.

I love how they are not all identical, and I like that you can see some of their feet.

A cute bunny shirt I don't hate, imagine that.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

zachss514

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zachss514
Re: Ian Malcolm's Chaos Theory

amazing design, but ian malcolm proclaimed himself a "chaotician," not a "chaosatician." sorry to nitpick, but it's jurassic park man! and like i said, great design!

kgisser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgisser

I'm not sure how I feel about the green as the t-shirt color.

rockefoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
bbbrob wrote:Alright, so:

R = Dominant trait - Red Shell*
r = Recessive trait - Blue Shell*

S = Dominant trait - Not Spiny
s = Recessive Trait - Spiny

*Red gene + Blue gene = Green. Do not ask.

Want.

Actually, the "R" gene exhibits what is called incomplete dominance. It would not be correct to say that R is the "dominant" trait or that r is the "recessive trait" for a red shell phenotype, otherwise the Rr genotype would also give a red shell phenotype. With incomplete dominance, one gene of each type gives a third phenotype.

Now the only thing you have to accept is that mixing red paint and blue paint will give you green, not purple. :D

gement

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gement
Re: Phi-angular Nature

This is my favorite of the phi designs, and of the derby in general, by a long shot. It's remarkably elegant.

rockefoe

novastarj wrote:Honestly though, it's irrelevant to ask "why do blue and red genes together make green?" Genetic inheritance is incredibly complicated topic, and the simple answer of "combining two colors makes a combination of those two colors" is clearly overly simplistic in the case of Mario Kart shells.

We could be seeing a case of incomplete dominance (rather than codominance), where certain aspects of each shell color carry through when the two are combined, but not the colors as a whole (only the hues necessary to create green).

It could be environmental factors at work, think in terms of a phenotype rather than a genotype. Perhaps the green shells were a healthy purple at birth, but something to do with the pigment as it interacts with the race tracks turns them into a shade of green later in life.

Perhaps even we are seeing a polygenic trait here, such as eye color, which is dramatically effected by outside genes as well (though if this is the case the Punnett Square is woefully incomplete).

Regardless, simply because the gene inheritance seems illogical to the lay observer does not mean it lacks an underlying rationale.

Oh, and GMV.

What this guy said.

kgisser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kgisser
brerfunk wrote:I think the Fraggles and Muppets are owned by Disney, but Sesame Street is not. From what I've seen Disney stuff gets rejected for copyright issues.

Actually Disney bought The Muppets in 2004, BUT did not get licensing rights to any Muppets who had appeared on Sesame Street as they were already owned by the Sesame Street Workshop. Jim Henson company still maintains the rights to Fraggles, so they are not Disney either.

rockefoe

krikee wrote:Clearly, where the hell is a duck button on a calculator device-jeeze
I mean hey this shirt was quacktastic but it could have been sooo much more with say a pumpkin and a pi joke....get it pi not pie hahahahahha

What he said!

kittylynn410

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittylynn410
Re: Fractal Vine

Love this! The colors are great. I hope to own this shirt soon!

rizaroni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rizaroni
Re: sPiral

My 13 yr old daughter is a Pi addict. GMV!

Larisa

meepee

quality posts: 33 Private Messages meepee
mhmanos wrote:Text-only!

I don't think this would count as text-only because the text itself is arranged in a way that creates a "graphic element," if you get what I mean. Like a text-as-art thing.

mattlussier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
Re: sPiral

thankyou to everyone who has voted for this. it is currently the highest number of votes i have ever received in a derby.

if you REALLY want to see it print, please considered getting the word out through facebook and twitter... thankyouthankyou

bbbrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbbrob
rockefoe wrote:Actually, the "R" gene exhibits what is called incomplete dominance. It would not be correct to say that R is the "dominant" trait or that r is the "recessive trait" for a red shell phenotype, otherwise the Rr genotype would also give a red shell phenotype. With incomplete dominance, one gene of each type gives a third phenotype.

Now the only thing you have to accept is that mixing red paint and blue paint will give you green, not purple. :D

I've got it! When you take fire in a (relatively) cool form, it's red (as opposed to blue or white). So, the red represents fire. Now, when you combine certain chemicals (and chemicals are always blue vials. It is physically impossible for a chemical to be anything other than a blue vial) and light them, you get green fire. Ergo, fire + chemicals = green fire (read: red + blue = green). And how does fire tie into a Mario reference? Well, that should be obvious.

slhampel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slhampel
Re: octopi

I see what you did there. :-)

Deaglan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deaglan
Re: The Divine Prrrrrrrrrportion!

I will buy it!

Lish64

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lish64
Re: Common Sequence

This is awesome! Such a cool combination.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
bbbrob wrote:I've got it! When you take fire in a (relatively) cool form, it's red (as opposed to blue or white). So, the red represents fire. Now, when you combine certain chemicals (and chemicals are always blue vials. It is physically impossible for a chemical to be anything other than a blue vial) and light them, you get green fire. Ergo, fire + chemicals = green fire (read: red + blue = green). And how does fire tie into a Mario reference? Well, that should be obvious.

Fire is not green!! >:O

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

collinvh

quality posts: 63 Private Messages collinvh
lunaprat wrote:I love it, just curious, is it black or navy?

Looks black to me. Love the idea and execution. Great work. GMV

collinvh

Re: Common Sequence

Nice work again my friend. Might be time to team up again on an entry Happy Thanksgiving.

collinvh

poindexterturbo wrote:There are exactly 4 flattened buckyballs (think - soccer ball) on this shirt.

www.goldennumber.net/buckyball.htm

* Derby rookie. Open to comments/suggestions. *

Nice work rookie I really love your pattern. Simply cool. GMV

collinvh

Re: Cheese Stock check

Very nice design. He might need a clipboard for this Voted.

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
xepherys wrote:This is the nerdiest discussion I've ever seen on woot. +1

it's pretty hilarious xD

lisonallie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lisonallie
Re: The Formula

ooh I really like it : )

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

collinvh wrote:Nice work again my friend. Might be time to team up again on an entry Happy Thanksgiving.

Aaa! Yes, I'd love to! I hope you have a delicious Thanksgiving as well.

jnrice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnrice
crapface wrote:The only problem with this, is that it assumes you're aiming at a pig at the same height as the launch point.

good point. I instantly thought about the "k" issue, but didn't catch the elevation part. GMV

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
miquinn wrote:lol "wheat grass"? where'd that come from? :D

Woot has word filters that trigger on swearing, words that are overused, and sometimes just totally random words.

If you click reply on his post you can see that "wheat grass" = "l.a.m.e"

They change the words every once in a while to keep things amusing.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

jupilberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupilberry
Re: Bird Range

There is no way my bird brain can do it. But, can anybody out there come up with the formula that accounts for all the variables?

razz007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razz007

Hey thanks, Would have had it up sooner but my wedding anniversary got in the way. As for shirt color it could be the kelly green, olive green or Brown maybe a Royal blue as well would work. Reason for the green though is that it makes feel more like they are running across a grassy field. Hopefully even though it was subbed a bit late, that it does well.
thnks

XrayAnime

quality posts: 2 Private Messages XrayAnime

interesting derby idea.

Also, Boric Acid makes fire burn green. That's where the "combine certain chemicals" comes in.

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
TobiasAmaranth wrote:Fire is not green!! >:O

It can be - many componds produce a green or greenish colored flame - look up the results of a good old-fashioned flame test

dekatria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dekatria
Re: Animal Math

Reminds me of http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry.aspx?id=38457

coffeegrace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coffeegrace
kittylynn410 wrote:Love this! The colors are great. I hope to own this shirt soon!

Aw, thanks! I really appreciate it. I don't think anyone will be owning this one, but I'm having fun. :-)

stacvand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stacvand
jupilberry wrote:There is no way my bird brain can do it. But, can anybody out there come up with the formula that accounts for all the variables?

Pray!