+ Add a Comment

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
Re: 100 Year Old Oak

really nice! I would wear this all the time as I am a tree-hugger.

texnewmex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texnewmex
Re: Everything is Gold

Wow, you are insanely talented. Good job, GMV!

asmadasrabbits

quality posts: 3 Private Messages asmadasrabbits
Re: Replicating Pattern

Your creativity is astounding. Another vote from me.

Oxyminoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Oxyminoan
D3lusional wrote:Yeah it would be, and now that you mention it, I would rather like this shirt if that were the case. It's a nice design without the Mario reference getting in the way.

Unfortunately, these days you have to pander in order to get fogged, even if you have a solid design.

I agree with you, though.

missmelis

quality posts: 20 Private Messages missmelis
ochopika wrote:really nice! I would wear this all the time as I am a tree-hugger.

On shirt.woot, trees hug YOU!

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

Alas, poor shirt.woot. I knew it well...

superkt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages superkt
Re: Fun With Fibonacci

Yes, yes, yes. I want NOW.

missmelis

Re: Common Sequence

This is the only entry so far that's made me go, "Whoa. That's awesome."

The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability. - Edgar Allan Poe

mattcom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattcom
Re: MAGPi

Made some adjustments to previous submission, hope you enjoy! =)

missmelis

Re: Hidden in Plain Sight

This is the kind of thing I was expecting to see when I saw the derby theme - but I mean that in a good way. I'm not saying it's predictable, just that it's simple enough for even a not-terribly-mathy person like me to comprehend. Another solid entry - please keep submitting!!

missmelis

geneotype wrote:I was reading the book Gödel Escher Bach a few years ago and it described the mathamatical complexity in Bach's fugues, comparing it to the structures of Escher's drawings and Gödel's theorems. That was the inspiration for this design.

Gorgeous. My BF's been reading that book off and on for a while now... maybe I should "borrow" it from him :D

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: The Golden Seed V2

Many thanks to paigeg for the constructive criticism. I've reworked the image to where it should no longer be "boxy"...

Thanks!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Fractal Rock

aw, bummer it was rejected. very cool.

missmelis

atlanticavenue wrote:My first shirt I bought on here was designed by you, Patrick. I do enjoy your style. Yet again, nice design

Ditto. ("They call me Tim" was my first!) I dig this one... nice work as usual!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: The Golden Seed V2

The idea behind this design was to use a seed as a metaphor for the golden ratio (and fractal) nature of the tree it will grow into. The seed, itself (a 3D rendered object), is based on the golden ratio.

missmelis

Re: Nerd Hive

Oohh... I love the concept and design here. I'm not sure I'd wear it on a shirt, but I'm going to give it a vote anyway.

themooseinabox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themooseinabox
Re: Log-A-Rhythm

this is freaking hilarious i would definitely buy it

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66
Re: Showoff

an Apollonian gasket in bubble form. let me know what you think.

blk909

Re: 100 Year Old Oak

I would love to have this. We live on Los Robles Street.

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka
Re: Probability Of A Blue Spiny

We sat staring at the picture for a while.
Wife: "I think I like the pirate one the best."
Me: "I was trying to determine whether the heterozygous S has a distinct phenotype."
Wife: "You're very cute."

blk909

Re: Hidden in Plain Sight

This is an incredible design - love the colors, too. Hope this does better soon.

ainecful

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainecful
Re: Everything is Gold

So beautiful.

GMV and all my money!

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

axphw1

quality posts: 12 Private Messages axphw1

HeartlineTwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
D3lusional wrote:It's just a golden spiral superimposed over a nice background... arbitrary.

"In mathematics and the arts, two quantities are in the golden ratio if the ratio of the sum of the quantities to the larger quantity is equal to the ratio of the larger quantity to the smaller one. The golden ratio is an irrational mathematical constant, approximately 1.61803398874989.[1] Other names frequently used for the golden ratio are the golden section (Latin: sectio aurea) and golden mean.[2][3][4] Other terms encountered include extreme and mean ratio,[5] medial section, divine proportion, divine section (Latin: sectio divina), golden proportion, golden cut,[6] golden number, and mean of Phidias.[7][8][9] In this article the golden ratio is denoted by the Greek lowercase letter phi (φ), while its reciprocal, 1 / φ or φ − 1, is denoted by the uppercase variant Phi (Φ)."

There. Saved anyone the 2.5 seconds it took to figure out what was going on.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Re: 1 1

I have this same concept half finished right now What is the woot ruling on something like this? Is it still cool to post it or should I just give up on it?

Arand3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Arand3
Re: Doppler Effect

Nice! Can we do it on slate or silver instead of cranberry?

wcrocks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcrocks
Re: The Ultimate Answer

Awesome idea and design. Cool concept.

kaelynangelfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaelynangelfoot
Re: Gecko Gecko

I love this! Might be outside printable area? If you have to resubmit, I'll vote again.

inspektordogge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages inspektordogge
Re: The Adding Tree

Oops, 4 colors on grass. This is my first derby entry. I'd appreciate any comments or criticism! Thanks.

joemail11

quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
Re: MAGPi

I definitely think "Magpi" should be on the shirt somewhere, but I can't decide if I like it over the .1415926535 of a magpie or not. I'll vote anyway.

holothuria

quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Re: Symmetry

It's a nice design, but I'm afraid it would contrast with my innate asymmetricality.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

vaiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaiv

A friend of mine is a math professor and we were discussing how funny this is. Hope ya'll like it.

laurenfly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurenfly
Re: Probability Of A Blue Spiny

I've decided that I need this shirt to pass my AP Biology exam.

tiffkwak15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffkwak15
kaelynangelfoot wrote:I love this! Might be outside printable area? If you have to resubmit, I'll vote again.

Thank you c:
I haven't heard anything yet so fingers crossed I won't have to change anything.

fossilgirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: Theory of Everything

Love it. GMV

vaiv

so I noticed on the upload the image looks torn so here is a close up

By vbandreas at 2011-11-18

vaiv

better view of it

By vbandreas at 2011-11-18

vaiv

well clearer image

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
ochopika wrote:
@citizencoyote: lol, kthulu reference. At first I thought you left me a word jumble to solve.

It's just the first thing I thought of when I saw the design... the horrors occupying the dark between the stars. Not that the design is horrible, it's actually very cool. +1!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
madalice wrote:Wow, very nice. This looks similar to a series of stock illustrations on istockphoto.com. Did you do those too?

http://soc.li/sIhb64l

I can't tell if you're accusing Patrick of artistic plagiarism or not, but he's about the last artist I would suspect of stealing ideas.

As for the design itself, this is ultra cool. I have not been overly impressed with some of his recent entries, but I love this one.