+ Add a Comment

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
spinachwrap wrote:Speaking as a biologist: We don't generally do math with DNA as pictured here* and it has little (nothing? I don't specialize in genetics) to do with fractals.

* Not math that's common knowledge, anyway, other than genotypes and probability (Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, crosses...). You could argue for significant differences between sequences or quantitative genetics or something, but that doesn't come to mind from this.

I do specialize in genetics, specifically quantitative genetics, and there are absolutely no mathematical concepts that this evokes. You can't have Hardy Weinberg without a population. I see none. There are no mathematical constants associated with DNA stability or binding energy between strands because it depends entirely on the amino acid residues in a given strand. This is like drawing any random object, say a cute bunny, on the ground and saying it represents gravity.

capnshiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capnshiner
Re: Geometrees

The concept is great, but the text ruins it for me. I suggest either ditching the text or incorporating the theme into the text. More "geometrees" might be better too, like a forest.

laughalot

quality posts: 6 Private Messages laughalot
anjulka wrote:We sat staring at the picture for a while.
Wife: "I think I like the pirate one the best."
Me: "I was trying to determine whether the heterozygous S has a distinct phenotype."
Wife: "You're very cute."

It appears that the Ss heterozygoes have the dominant phenotype. I think the costume differences are a result of how each turtle was raised.

bigedna

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bigedna
Re: Probability Of A Blue Spiny

This is too awesome for words.

meandsecoya

quality posts: 18 Private Messages meandsecoya
Re: MAGPi

Yay! I voted for the first one, but I'm glad I came back and checked the derby again before I went to bed and saw the resub. I hope you make it into the fog!

PurplePawprints elsewhere

yeslekp92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yeslekp92
Re: Onomatopoeias b.C.

I would totally buy this if you made a version that was just the cow I love it.

cuzwhynot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cuzwhynot
Re: Phi of the Beholder

Phi of the Beholder

Here's my riff on the golden spiral. Enjoy!

CuzWhyNot.com

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
Re: Long Division

Weird, I never posted in the pre-derby area Maybe someone else had a similar idea?

vaiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaiv

btw all halftones before woot thinks i used gradients..ill load a close up of the bottle in the morning.

CaptainReginald

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CaptainReginald
Re: Nerd Hive

Ooh, my inner D&D-nerd-self loves this shirt...

crazyrocker088

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazyrocker088

momyji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momyji
Re: Flying Lessons

I would buy one of this, totally ;D

momyji

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momyji
Re: Fluid Dynamics

Wwwaaa, i going to buy this as soon as it gets into the reckoning.

Good job!

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
collinvh wrote:I have this same concept half finished right now What is the woot ruling on something like this? Is it still cool to post it or should I just give up on it?

Post it. There are many times in which the idea is the same, but the execution is completely different.

cephy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cephy
cfdunbar wrote:An artistic representation of the Doppler Effect. The change in audio wavelength when one source is stationary and the other is in motion.

I just thought it was visually striking.

6 colors on Cranberry

This. Obviously "doppler effect" brings to mind "Big Bang theory" but also, this quote from RHPS springs to mind- "you won't find earth people quite the easy mark you imagined, CFDunbar. This machine- it is I suppose, some sort of audio vibratory, sonic molecular transport device?"
As such, it's /GMV. =)

jgolando

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgolando
Re: Fluid Dynamics

This is beautiful. The math isn't as obvious either, which is different and refreshing. But mostly beautiful. If I bought this, I would frame it... With my body.

jgolando

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgolando
Re: Flying Lessons

He's chubby! Hooray fall squirrels!. Also, like the physics diagram

bethjoyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethjoyd
tdziekan wrote:I guess I just like original shirts. To each his or her own

Ha, you think that Gingerbread shirt was original, that it was the first time that da Vinci's Vitruvian Man design was appropriated to something that's not a man? Hardly.

I like this design, very cutely drawn cat, and I like the pencil like style.

madalice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madalice
blk909 wrote:aw, bummer it was rejected. very cool.

I wish I had more of an explanation. "can't print" is a bit open ended. Is the design too complex or is it due to some other issue? I would resubmit if I knew what to fix.

darianwiccan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darianwiccan
Re: FIBONACCI INITIATIVE

AWESOME! Fibonacci and Lost!

madalice

citizencoyote wrote:I can't tell if you're accusing Patrick of artistic plagiarism or not, but he's about the last artist I would suspect of stealing ideas.

As for the design itself, this is ultra cool. I have not been overly impressed with some of his recent entries, but I love this one.

I wasn't accusing him of plagiarism. I had used one of the stock illustrations the other day and this design made me think of it. Thought maybe he submitted at both sites- I do. No offense intended.

Lanicoise

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lanicoise
vaiv wrote:better view of it

By vbandreas at 2011-11-18

rules this week say no text...but that's a nice hermit crab (?)

kreativsnail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kreativsnail
Re: golden spiral

Snails are kewl

trevorstearns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trevorstearns
Re: Nature's Math Rebel

Nobody's gonna tell this guy he isn't supposed to be able to fly!

aeris82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeris82
madalice wrote:I wish I had more of an explanation. "can't print" is a bit open ended. Is the design too complex or is it due to some other issue? I would resubmit if I knew what to fix.

Can't print generally means due to copyright restrictions. Regardless of how they feel about the design, the characters are copyrighted.

Edit: Why is this posting here? Oh well.

aeris82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aeris82

Eep repost.

hwnscigirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hwnscigirl1
Re: DNA swirl

Left-handed?

walmazan

quality posts: 65 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Showoff

This is awesome!

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: MAGPi

Yes, this works much better. Nice adjustment.

inspektordogge

quality posts: 4 Private Messages inspektordogge
Lanicoise wrote:rules this week say no text...but that's a nice hermit crab (?)

Ummm... It says no text-only designs (which this is not), and it says that this is a hermit crab in the title.

drsilentg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drsilentg
Re: Numbirds

clever indeed! you've earned my vote!

in-your-crapday-suit-Youtube-7/12/2012
Bundle of Carrots 4/25/2012
Bag Of Cheese 3/22/2012
Bucket Of Cream 10/12/2011

gayemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
ochopika wrote:Thank you! It is berry-colored, I didn't notice that. Yummy. I've been working on color and value recently. That's why I worked on red shirts the past couple times (the color is harder for me to work with) and why this one has lots of halftones going on. If I can't win the derby I might as well use it to make my art better.

@noble aborigineemeyer (mommy): thanks for sounding like a huge hippie
*edit: lol it censored your name.*

@citizencoyote: lol, kthulu reference. At first I thought you left me a word jumble to solve.

@walmazan: I always appreciate your vote!

I want my new screen name to be aborigineemeyer!

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
wolfgaidin wrote:Awesomely eye catching! I also appriciate the fact that it's actual art and not just a cutesy design.

+1 GMV!

Thanks so much, I appreciate the vote.

cfdunbar

fossilgirl1 wrote:Great idea for the derby and I like your color choices. GMV

Thank you!

tehmalia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehmalia
mscrankypants wrote:I have no idea what a golden ratio is, but I still love this shirt. GMV. Someone will have to explain it to me when it prints so I can explain when I wear it!

There's a youtube video that explains it, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWivbG0RIo

If that doesn't work....just search "The Golden Mean" and it should pop up

gayemeyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gayemeyer
paigeg wrote:I liek the design overall. Don't care for the eyes, though. They really aren't necessary and, in fact, I think they take away from what you've otherwise accomplished. JMHO.

I think the design is delightful, even with the eyes, even though I'm not a pop culture fan either. Somehow you managed to keep the delicacy of the design with the eyes there.

madalice

aeris82 wrote:Can't print generally means due to copyright restrictions. Regardless of how they feel about the design, the characters are copyrighted.

Edit: Why is this posting here? Oh well.

But why would this be any more copywrite infringing than the cookie monster shirt that's sold so well?

cfdunbar

cephy wrote:This. Obviously "doppler effect" brings to mind "Big Bang theory" but also, this quote from RHPS springs to mind- "you won't find earth people quite the easy mark you imagined, CFDunbar. This machine- it is I suppose, some sort of audio vibratory, sonic molecular transport device?"
As such, it's /GMV. =)

I actually started off with a homage to Big Bang Theory, NOT a Zebra but while researching Doppler Effect (so that I had a working knowledge of what I was drawing) I came up with this idea.
It has been so long since I last saw RHPS I can't remember my lines.... I will now wear the paper bag of shame.
Thanks for the +1 Cephy!

cfdunbar

Arand3 wrote:Nice! Can we do it on slate or silver instead of cranberry?

If I have the time to switch shirt colors out I'll get another entry up. Thanks for the suggestion.

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66
walmazan wrote:This is awesome!

Thanks Walmazan!