selune13

quality posts: 3 Private Messages selune13
aliceag wrote:I'm sorry, but this shirt slightly angers me. It is the wrong imagery with the wrong text. I'm sure many people know it, but many don't and it just further solidifies the miss-conception.

A shirt causes you to feel anger? Wow.

Seriously, how many people out there have read any Shakespeare, let alone Hamlet? If it increases the number of people who actually become cognizant of great literature by seeing this design and asking about it, who the heck cares if it isn't a PERFECT meld of image and text? Not me, that's certain.

sarahbug86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahbug86
xninjagrrl wrote:I'd settle for Patrick Stewart.

When it comes to Hamlet, I'll settle for David Tennant. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/hamlet/watch-the-film/980/

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
midgerock wrote:congrats on the print apelad! kind of a rags to riches story with you and printing at woot. Only 4-5 months ago you were concerned about how dailies were being picked and printed and not yours and you have since found so much success. I guess dreams do come true!

I was? I remember posting in the community about the derby a couple times, but I don't remember anything about dailies.
But I appreciate the sentiment! My last 3 shirts have done better than my previous dailies. I must be a slow learner.

Hectorf16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hectorf16

I remember having to memorize this for a grade in high school, at first I dreaded it but by the end it felt pretty cool knowing it by heart. Ah well, if I wasn't broke I'd be in for one.

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
sarahbug86 wrote:When it comes to Hamlet, I'll settle for David Tennant. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/hamlet/watch-the-film/980/

How is it no one is citing Kenneth Branagh?

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

Nevermore was bad enough. but this is just silly. Also, I realize there is a skull present in the play, but doesn't it have nothing to do with this soliloquy?? Its just "hey lets just take these 2 random, unrelated, yet significant parts of a piece of literature and smush them together".

Fail, sir.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
logicape wrote:How is it no one is citing Kenneth Branagh?

Darn tooting straight! As for Tennant, he was just awful, love the man-who, but damn that was cringe-worthy.

Also agree with the fail, why use the wrong speech? Fair play for merchandising Hamlet though, lol. Sure make it a hyena's skull and the words to Hakuna Matata and I am so in for one...

Slarti59

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Slarti59

In for two, one for me and one or a friend. It'll go nicely with "Quoth the Raven"

jgoodwin88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgoodwin88

Excellent shirt! Art like this is called.. what? Display Typography? Trying to figure out the proper term for typography forming complex objects in art.

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
jgoodwin88 wrote:Excellent shirt! Art like this is called.. what? Display Typography? Trying to figure out the proper term for typography forming complex objects in art.

Calligram

fetalpig2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fetalpig2

I might like it more than the nevermore shirt, but it's too similar for me to respect it. You could do this with just about any piece of literature or poetry. Just pick a famous line and an object associated with it. Meh.

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03

This isn't the first time the two have been mixed up. Cartoons, sitcoms, movies, etc. always have someone holding a skull doing the "to be..." speech when they want to make Shakespeare more identifiable.

As such I find this shirt acceptable. In for one.

sndale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sndale

For some reason I'm compelled to do this today, but if there are any ladies flipping through the comments, wishing these shirts were available in dress, I give you this:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheYarnmaiden

Choose your favorite woot t-shirts and get them transformed into custom dresses of +15 awesome.
(not affiliated with woot, but why not make your woot just a little more fun?)

shelldav

quality posts: 8 Private Messages shelldav

I reckon this shirt will be around for a while.

sassys1313

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sassys1313

Did you ever read it? I think someone contemplating a skull is certainly likely to consider life and death questions. Doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all....not sure why you see it as a fail...

I'm in for one.

countdown wrote:Nevermore was bad enough. but this is just silly. Also, I realize there is a skull present in the play, but doesn't it have nothing to do with this soliloquy?? Its just "hey lets just take these 2 random, unrelated, yet significant parts of a piece of literature and smush them together".

Fail, sir.

Narfcake

fetalpig2 wrote:... You could do this with just about any piece of literature or poetry. Just pick a famous line and an object associated with it. ...

I take it you don't like the Gettysburg Address, then ...

(I have that shirt too, BTW).

nevernude815

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nevernude815
dcroe05 wrote:I like this in theory, but this is muddled.

The skull is associated with the "Alas, poor Yorrick" speech. But the text here is the "To be, or not to be" speech.

Agreed. I'm having the same problem. I love the intention, but this is very common mistake that keep this from being a purchase for me.

Zennifair

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zennifair
logicape wrote:How is it no one is citing Kenneth Branagh?

+1

~Zenn

redharlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redharlow

What is this, the poor man's Raven?

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Congrats, Adam!

Selenasaberwind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Selenasaberwind

Today's Woot shirt is quite amazing. Artist, I tip my to you.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

the raven redux

pfffft!

kelownagamermom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelownagamermom

I am so happy to have finally bought one of Apelad's tshirts. But frustrated that no such glorious bodily adornments did not exist when I was in high school.........
Thank you for a great design!!

kelownagamermom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelownagamermom

Oh, and just wanted to add my vote for David Tennant as Hamlet - he was amazing!

almsforoblivion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion

My theatre friends tell me (somewhat hyperbolically) that I own more Shakespeare t-shirts than there are Shakespeare plays. Clearly, I should buy this one to bring that claim one step closer to reality.

tessderpervilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tessderpervilles

My 5yo daughter commented:
Oh! it's like that bird one made out of a poem, except it's a skull made out of a poem.

ApeLad

kelownagamermom wrote:I am so happy to have finally bought one of Apelad's tshirts. But frustrated that no such glorious bodily adornments did not exist when I was in high school.........
Thank you for a great design!!

Thanks for the kind words! You're welcome!

ApeLad

kelownagamermom wrote:Oh, and just wanted to add my vote for David Tennant as Hamlet - he was amazing!

There's also an MST3K Hamlet, in which they watch a version starring Maximilian Schell, of all people.
Why no love for Maximilian?!

Narfcake

Debut day - 4633.

molspagetti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages molspagetti

You guys did it wrong. Hamlet doesn't hold up the skull in this soliloquy. He holds up Yoric's skull in another part of the play. Nice try.

rapturemachine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rapturemachine

I love Hamlet to bits, and I love this particular soliloquy, but this shirt is just not doing it for me. It's not even the skull & soliloquy pairing that other commenters have complained about. It's the type. It looks handwritten, which would be fine if it were a deliberate, careful handwriting that I could associate with Hamlet. Instead, it's sloppy, "modern" handwriting that doesn't fit the context or the text.
I'd love to get this, but that type is a dealbreaker to me.

punktilious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages punktilious

As much as I like this shirt, I'm a bit disappointing it's done in English. You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.

jnelson62

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson62

So...I have this shirt now and I'm disappointed. The quality is not what it appeared to be in the images.

Definately not a contender to displace Nevermore. It seems to me to be hacked together, the text doesn't all fit on the skull and the shading marks around the eye sockets are poorly executed.

It's easy to be an art critic when you have no skills

giorgioooooo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giorgioooooo

I received this shirt as my "Random Shirt" - thanks Woot!

bksdelightme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bksdelightme

Love the shirt--Hamlet, however, is set in Denmark. It's bad luck to name the Scottish play about murder (M.c.th).