ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: ups.sorry



This is really nice and well-drawn, but you have to get rid of ALL the text or it will likely get rejected again. Even the text on the food has to go, which is fine because the design reads clearly without it. Nice job

zaydabarros


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
Re: The Overdose



How come "The Binge" has sold 50k+ shirts and this gets rejected? I don't get it. (Not that I have anything against "The Binge", I'm just curious.)

ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: ups, sorry...



nice

D3lusional


quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
zaydabarros wrote:How come "The Binge" has sold 50k+ shirts and this gets rejected? I don't get it. (Not that I have anything against "The Binge", I'm just curious.)



My guess is it's not exactly parody as this is exactly the kind of situation you would expect to find poo in.

baruyo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baruyo

thanks for the advice

collinvh


quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Overdesigned



One thing I often over-indulge in is my design. A good example is the other design I have half finished for this derby and I'm afraid won't be completed in time to submit. There is always room for a daily sub right?

Thank you for viewing and I hope you enjoy the design.

ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: See-Note



Have you looked at the "artist resources" section of the community forums? There is a lot of really helpful stuff in there for people new to woot.

I'll say that cute stuff is popular (obviously), but you can still win with something really artsy if it's done well.

Check out shirtwhat.com and look at other artists' work. You can see what works and what doesn't. I know that was the most helpful thing for me when I first started here.

Good Luck

atlanticavenue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atlanticavenue
Re: Tea Party in Wonderland



Would love to see this in another color scheme. GMV anyway. Nice design

ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Overdesigned



Yay! You should submit a daily, you have more time that way and they give you feedback and let you change things in the design. Dooo it.

Also, I like this one a lot! Is there a hidden meaning to the rainbow pointer, or is it just cool-lookin'?

collinvh


quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
ochopika wrote:Yay! You should submit a daily, you have more time that way and they give you feedback and let you change things in the design. Dooo it.

Also, I like this one a lot! Is there a hidden meaning to the rainbow pointer, or is it just cool-lookin'?



Thanks Audrey. Most of the design work I do is for print so I used CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) and crop marks which are commonly used in print design. Plus, I didn't want to overdo it again by adding in too many more colors and elements. Thanks for the great feedback.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
Re: Midnight secret snack



This is my favorite of the derby. It should be doing better.

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
ramyb wrote:You can't stock up though you can only take one at a time. the shirt also represents indulgent behavior at grocery stores.



Even if you can't stock up in the game, doing so would not be over indulgent

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
D3lusional wrote:My guess is it's not exactly parody as this is exactly the kind of situation you would expect to find poo in.



That's my guess, the parody of Binge is that an alcoholic (sure it's milk, but the intention of the shot glasses is clear) passed out Cookie Monster is clearly different from the real character.

This could easily be a scene straight from Winnie The Pooh, gorging on honey is what he does. That's not really parody.

It is kind of a thin line, and that's why it took Woot so long to reject it.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Azroix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Azroix

I don't get it, how do some of these shirts get away with copyright infringement? I know there isn't fully detailed specific characters in the design, but it is a clear depiction of the Pokemon IP.

Is there some trick or loophole that I don't know of? I see more and more shirt designs being sold throughout the internet that seem to clearly be infringing on a variety of IPs.

Also, the design is awesome and I voted for it AND I'm also aware that this shirt isn't "getting away" with anything until it's actually sold, but I'm just confused about this whole IP thing.

zaydabarros


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
bluetuba wrote:That's my guess, the parody of Binge is that an alcoholic (sure it's milk, but the intention of the shot glasses is clear) passed out Cookie Monster is clearly different from the real character.

This could easily be a scene straight from Winnie The Pooh, gorging on honey is what he does. That's not really parody.

It is kind of a thin line, and that's why it took Woot so long to reject it.



It all makes sense now, thanks! I am new to shirt.woot so I don't really understand how they work with the copyrights and stuff but thank you so much for clearing it up!

zaydabarros


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
D3lusional wrote:My guess is it's not exactly parody as this is exactly the kind of situation you would expect to find poo in.



Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

zaydabarros


quality posts: 3 Private Messages zaydabarros
piwerx wrote:Oh, it's cute(and I get it). However, its not immediately obvious that the mouse ate the cheese-moon into the crescent anyway (and others have said as much). But more specifically, my point is that that design points more to the genius accomplishment of the Einstein Astronaut for all mouse-kind moon-cheese-dreamers rather than over-indulgence. This is playing pretty loose with what is 'binge-ing', the moon is so small anyway. The mouse is not obviously fat due to over-indulgence as it may just be the suit. This is hardly a consequence, for Mouse Armstrong, this is the reward.

Secondly, this over-indulgent theme is a darker aspect of humanity, with few exceptions from the animal kingdom like domesticated pets, and maybe rhinos. I just think cute is well, off-topic here.

shirt.cute

Derby:
"And what better time to go way overboard than the holidays, when we're all conditioned to binge, drink, and be as loud as possible before the inevitable check comes due in the form of your New Year's Resolution. This week we want to see your ideas on the price of over-indulgence, be it with food, drink, work, romance, or something else entirely."

I don't see hypothetical mouse moon-landings in there, so this must be "something else entirely"

My "something else entirely" was an obsession with music. Not viagra. And it was cool like Roy Lichtenstein.



To be honest with you, it was immediately obvious to me that the mouse ate the moon. Anyway, I was just pointing out that the mouse design does fit in the Derby and there was no need for you to say it didn't. Not saying that yours doesn't, it obviously does but for some reason I guess they don't want you to have to explain the design? I don't know. Your design is nice and I expect to see more from you in the future.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Johndis5 wrote:Normally I absolutely loathe pop culture designs, but I have to say, this one is great.

It's more than cramming familiar icons into a design for the masses to mindlessly salivate over, like we are used to seeing around here. It actually has a clever joke and uses a character that isn't from Nintendo, Star Wars, or Dr. Who. Something I don't think a lot of artists realize can be accomplished.

Well done! And for the first time in a long time, I'm voting for a pop culture tee!



To be fair, we rarely get a Star Wars, Nintendo, or Dr. Who shirt or whatever else you may personally consider to be too popular or overdone that actually pulls off an appropriate and unique style for the artist while still being immediately recognizable and bringing a really well-executed joke and design to the table.

In fact, given how predominant the "no video games" and "no pop culture" rules seem to be [I frankly wouldn't mind seeing these rules be permanent because for every design we get like this shirt, we get way more that really exist just to pander], I'm not entirely surprised that on the weeks where those rules are completely lifted that we get a crush of designs trying to capitalize off of references.

If pop culture references are your thing, I would recommend TeeFury. They rarely print a shirt that isn't motivated by some sort of pop culture reference.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Azroix wrote:I don't get it, how do some of these shirts get away with copyright infringement? I know there isn't fully detailed specific characters in the design, but it is a clear depiction of the Pokemon IP.

Is there some trick or loophole that I don't know of? I see more and more shirt designs being sold throughout the internet that seem to clearly be infringing on a variety of IPs.

Also, the design is awesome and I voted for it AND I'm also aware that this shirt isn't "getting away" with anything until it's actually sold, but I'm just confused about this whole IP thing.



Short answer: parody. Sometimes things are going to be really close, and Woot may decide to not go with a shirt on those grounds, but parody is a pretty solid defense to copyright infringement and other IP issues generally.

jabberwok


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jabberwok
Re: Wrong Wyrm V-2



Go little bird, GO!! Yah gotta start somewhere!

angus41299


quality posts: 1 Private Messages angus41299

since all four of our family have had the christmas barfs, we may need a family pack of these to commemorate the holiday. Plus, strange coincidence, I have received hungry hungry hippo as a gift for both my 20th and 40th birthdays. This will serve as a good fill-in while I await the diamond edition.

Fuzzypaws


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fuzzypaws
Re: It's all gouda...



I need this one! :D *crosses fingers and hopes*

shomanzz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shomanzz
Re: It's all gouda...



I'm not the biggest fan of this derby theme, but if u won I would totally buy this!! Totally awesome!!

Jessara


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jessara
Re: boxing day misinterpreted



Anglophiles untie!

ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

collinvh wrote:Thanks Audrey. Most of the design work I do is for print so I used CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black) and crop marks which are commonly used in print design. Plus, I didn't want to overdo it again by adding in too many more colors and elements. Thanks for the great feedback.



ah! I thought it was CMYK, that's smart

laggyg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages laggyg
Re: The Overdose



Color me completely disappointed =(

lonelypond


quality posts: 416 Private Messages lonelypond

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
HeartlineTwist wrote:.
.
.

If pop culture references are your thing, I would recommend TeeFury. They rarely print a shirt that isn't motivated by some sort of pop culture reference.

For the record, Mr. 5 has been around the T-shirt block a time or two.

Also, I agree with his post as regards this design.

move along

lonelypond


quality posts: 416 Private Messages lonelypond

csheff15


quality posts: 0 Private Messages csheff15
Re: Backlog



... Thanks mostly to a certain 175+ hour game that I am still to this day over-indulging in...

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
Re: Gorging Ermine



One of these ermine shirts needs to print. I'm in love with this character. <3

penthus


quality posts: 3 Private Messages penthus
partimejudas wrote:Having said all the above, I just wanted to say thank you. While it may not be the Metroid I would like to see, I can't draw and it's nice to know someone out there in Wootland is showing Metroid love.



Hear, hear! :D -total Samus Fangirl-

smklung


quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
ramyb wrote:You can't stock up though you can only take one at a time. the shirt also represents indulgent behavior at grocery stores.



That's actually not true. When picking up a trio of shells you could use them and have them spin around you. Then when driving into another item box you would in fact pick up another item without losing the shells. Also you could still use the shells while holding onto whatever other item you received.

Yup i like mario kart.

sunaness


quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
Re: The Overdose



So sad.

specsmachine


quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
Johndis5 wrote:This is my favorite of the derby. It should be doing better.



I whole-heartedly agree.

jaycarter71


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaycarter71
Re: Tea Party in Wonderland



I like the concept and the artwork, but agree that the color scheme needs more contrast. It has my vote.

jaycarter71


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaycarter71
Re: I cant has more cheese burger



I absolutely love this one. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

ochopika


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Wrong Wyrm V-2



You're gonna keep making derby designs, right? RIGHT? You'll get a print eventually.

dracokitty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dracokitty

Probably but its hard for me to get designs up in a timely matter, do to work and other things. Normally I don't finish my designs till Sunday night which makes it hard for them to get get anywhere. So most of my ideas get scrapped because I know they will be done to late. This was one of the few designs I got up quick because I had some time off.

vstephenson


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vstephenson

This is really cute! I like the bites out of the buildings.