klozitshoper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klozitshoper
dougall wrote:Call and ask them to take you off their list.

HI there. You are the significant other of a great person! Thought you were new, all on your own, or back from long ago.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dougall wrote:
*stops drinking the koolaid*

I'm just hanging out, really.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Afternnon, folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
klozitshoper wrote:HI there. You are the significant other of a great person! Thought you were new, all on your own, or back from long ago.

I was new, long ago, before I was an SO.

But since then, I didn't buy much, or post anything (someone checked *sly wayward glance*) so my only claim to fame is the company I keep.

so HI! it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
dougall wrote:I was new, long ago, before I was an SO.

But since then, I didn't buy much, or post anything (someone checked *sly wayward glance*) so my only claim to fame is the company I keep.

so HI! it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

And talking funny. ;)

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

dougall

Mavyn wrote:And talking funny. ;)

You say that *I* talk funny?

Little Miss Pronunciation?

Mavyn

dougall wrote:You say that *I* talk funny?

Little Miss Pronunciation?

:D

It's all about how those around you speak, right? Shall we have gyros for dinner?

:p

dougall

Mavyn wrote::D

It's all about how those around you speak, right? Shall we have gyros for dinner?

:p

*points to the sandwich made with meat sliced off a big stick.*

I'll take one of those please.

with fries.

AZGman

I'll just leave you two alone.

//closes door

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:I'll just leave you two alone.

//closes door

It's ok, we're both fully dressed and such. Promise!

It's a well known fact that I have distinctly...non-standard pronunciation. So does he, but he has a better excuse.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Mavyn wrote:It's a well known fact that I have distinctly...non-standard pronunciation. So does he, but he has a better excuse.

*shrug* you both sound ok to me.

Mavyn

no1 wrote:*shrug* you both sound ok to me.

Aww. You sound ok to me too.

Just never say 'scythe'.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:How do you say

Just never say 'scythe'.

How do you say it? Skythe?

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I'll bet Dougall says "shedyoual" instead of schedule.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

I hate to tell y'all but you all have southern accents in my head.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
Mavyn wrote:And!

Breakfast sweets might AID weight loss

So dig in!

Well you just made me feel even better about the giant red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing and white chocolate shavings Orc and I shared while we had white chocolate mochas on our morning date this morning.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:I'll bet Dougall says "shedyoual" instead of schedule.

Now I want to know how poof pronounces schedule....

KtCallista

joyner wrote:I hate to tell y'all but you all have southern accents in my head.

I've had a southern accent before. Amused my husband to no end. Stupid accent sticks like no other too. 2 days in SC and I sound like an unrefined (not the pretty southern, the other one) local for a month!

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:Now I want to know how poof pronounces schedule....

I'd guess 'skedyule' or 'skedjewel'.

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:How do you say it? Skythe?

I just never get it correct. The problem is that I learned to read young, and read anything and everything I could. If I didn't know what a word meant, and couldn't get it from context, I'd look it up...but I didn't understand what the pronunciation guide meant, so I guessed. And guessed wrong, most of the time. There are lots of words that no one has ever corrected me on, or like scythe, don't come up on most conversations for me to ever realize I say it wrong in my head.

Dougall, on the other hand, with his fancy Queen's English, gets to wonder if it's a dialect thing or my own personal mangling. Usually it's the latter.

pooflady wrote:I'll bet Dougall says "shedyoual" instead of schedule.

I can't recall ever hearing him say it.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote: The problem is that I learned to read young, and read anything and everything I could. If I didn't know what a word meant, and couldn't get it from context, I'd look it up...but I didn't understand what the pronunciation guide meant, so I guessed. And guessed wrong, most of the time. There are lots of words that no one has ever corrected me on, or like scythe, don't come up on most conversations for me to ever realize I say it wrong in my head.

Me, too. One that comes to mind is 'paradigm'.

Mavyn

AZGman wrote:Me, too. One that comes to mind is 'paradigm'.

That one I get right. I think. Pare-a-dime?

Even worse, because I am aware that I get it wrong so often, it's very easy to get me flustered so I'm not sure on a word that I actually get right!

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:I can't recall ever hearing him say it.

there is a lady in town who used to come into the computer shop where I worked with Orc. Her name was pronounced Ee-lowis, it was spelled Eloise. The story goes her mom read it in a book and thought it was beautiful and she'd never heard it before.

I know I mispronounce stuff for the same reason, but I'm always correcting Orc. He has never heard the correct pronunciation for most words, then he lived down South for 9 years. Honestly, with his hearing its amazing he understands spoken English at all.

AZGman

Mavyn wrote:That one I get right. I think. Pare-a-dime?

I meant was; once I heard it pronounced, I had it.

AZGman

bedtime; g'night.

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:I meant was; once I heard it pronounced, I had it.

That's because you're clever, the rest of us (me) are ambling in the dark.

no1

i never learned to read.

pooflady

Mavyn wrote:I can't recall ever hearing him say it.

There was a fairly lengthy conversation about this not too long ago, but I'd have no idea how to find it. It was only a few years ago that I figured out epitome. I thought there were two different words. And ennui. And there's no way I can pronounce anemone or ego right. But the latter's the fault of eggos.

no1

pooflady wrote:There was a fairly lengthy conversation about this not too long ago, but I'd have no idea how to find it. It was only a few years ago that I figured out epitome. I thought there were two different words. And ennui. And there's no way I can pronounce anemone or ego right. But the latter's the fault of eggos.

nuttin' funner than a pit o' me.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
KtCallista wrote:there is a lady in town who used to come into the computer shop where I worked with Orc. Her name was pronounced Ee-lowis, it was spelled Eloise. The story goes her mom read it in a book and thought it was beautiful and she'd never heard it before.

I know I mispronounce stuff for the same reason, but I'm always correcting Orc. He has never heard the correct pronunciation for most words, then he lived down South for 9 years. Honestly, with his hearing its amazing he understands spoken English at all.

Hate to break it to you, but not everyone in the South is completely ignorant of grammar and proper pronunciation.

But then I guess wes just be some stupid suthern hicks.

no1

kdccrosby wrote:Hate to break it to you, but not everyone in the South is completely ignorant of grammar and proper pronunciation.

Mavyn

I recall the previous discussion. With many of the words I say wrong, even after I've been corrected I still can't say it right the first time. I'll say it, and realize it sounds wrong, and sometimes get it right. Sometimes not.

I recall when I was in the 8th grade, I wrote a story for some class and used the moue. It refers to a facial expression of unhappiness--like a little frown. The teacher had never heard of it, so decided I made it up and marked me down. I argued back and ended up bringing in a dictionary to show it was a real word--though I suspect part of the problem is that I actually pronounced it right--not my fault it's 'moo'.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Mavyn wrote:I recall the previous discussion. With many of the words I say wrong, even after I've been corrected I still can't say it right the first time. I'll say it, and realize it sounds wrong, and sometimes get it right. Sometimes not.

I recall when I was in the 8th grade, I wrote a story for some class and used the moue. It refers to a facial expression of unhappiness--like a little frown. The teacher had never heard of it, so decided I made it up and marked me down. I argued back and ended up bringing in a dictionary to show it was a real word--though I suspect part of the problem is that I actually pronounced it right--not my fault it's 'moo'.

There are certain words that I read in books, but never use, or hear them used, in actual conversations. I have discovered I say about 1/2 of them incorrectly.

Pronouncing the names of Louisiana parishes always gets a chuckle from those around me....

Mavyn

kdccrosby wrote:There are certain words that I read in books, but never use, or hear them used, in actual conversations. I have discovered I say about 1/2 of them incorrectly.

Pronouncing the names of Louisiana parishes always gets a chuckle from those around me....

Yeah, I spent some time in Washington and had the same problem. Snoqualmie is at least phonetic, but Sequim? Scary!

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:Hate to break it to you, but not everyone in the South is completely ignorant of grammar and proper pronunciation.

I didn't say anything about grammar, although if I hear one more person say ME AND ... I think I'm going to smack them, that's my new grammar pet peeve.

As for the Southern claim, it had nothing to do with ignorance, the Southern accent is well known, Orc lived in the Northwest prior to 9 years in the South, he is hearing impaired. The vowels are pronounced completely differently. In the Northwest he worked with speech therapists, in the South when all the words changed sounds (for him) he didn't have that support. You'd be hard pressed to find two more different native accents in the continental United States. Now, I'm not attacking anyone, just stating that the fact that my husband can barely pronounce English may have something to do with the fact that he moved to areas with drastically different accents and he can't hear anyway.

Sheesh

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Yeah, I spent some time in Washington and had the same problem. Snoqualmie is at least phonetic, but Sequim? Scary!

There is a reason even the postal service recognizes abbreviations for towns like Coeur d'Alene.

pooflady

no1 wrote:nuttin' funner than a pit o' me.

The other one was ep a tome

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback

It's a wonder we have any universities down here ain't it? The first 3 years are spent learnin' to talk rite

In the end only kindness matters

dougall

just ask yourself...

"How would Stephen Fry say ir?"

that is all.

well, except for noting I frequently tailor my pronunciation to my audience... it makes for better communication.

pooflady

dougall wrote:just ask yourself...

"How would Stephen Fry say ir?"

that is all.

well, except for noting I frequently tailor my pronunciation to my audience... it makes for better communication.

Who is Stephen Fry and why would he say ir?